Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Just fine them a million bux per guitar

And also samsh them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Shugojin posted:

Just fine them a million bux per guitar

And also samsh them

By them you mean the executives right?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

No, you're using the wood from the smashed guitars to make reclaimed wood guillotine for the executives

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Shugojin posted:

No, you're using the wood from the smashed guitars to make reclaimed wood guillotine for the executives

:hmmyes:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Fantastic, thanks! I'm going to step into one real quick next week for a pack of strings so naturally I'll need to print out about 30 of these, one for every time a sales dude will accost me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

Fantastic thanks I'll need to print out about 30 of these, one for every time a sales dude will accost me when I go there to get a single pack of strings next week.
Dude just order your strings online. I thought the hype for Stringjoy was kinda dumb but once I tried them strings holy bomb were they rad.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jonny Nox posted:

Yes. That is the point. Making destroying rare trees have no benefit.

At least auction them for a related charity or something but that’s hoping for too much. Fine them instead and use it towards conservation. There’s too much waste in the world as is.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 28, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

At least auction them for a related charity or something but that’s hoping for too much. Fine them instead and use it towards conservation. There’s too much waste in the world as is.

Then they become rare and coveted prizes further incentivizing other luthiers to try and cash-in before johnny law catches them. It sucks. There isn’t a desirable way to handle this.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s a shame but hopefully it’s moving things in the right path for the future.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wark Say posted:

Dude just order your strings online. I thought the hype for Stringjoy was kinda dumb but once I tried them strings holy bomb were they rad.

I buy strings at guitar center so I can spend 4 hours there playing every guitar that catches my eye.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wark Say posted:

Sell me on stringjoy. I’m an NYXL purist but I’m always curious about those.

Note: I dislike balanced tension and don’t need custom gauges. Still worth checking out?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

I buy strings at guitar center so I can spend 4 hours there playing every guitar that catches my eye.
Eh, most stores don't carry lefty guitars/basses, so I often don't have any excuse unless I have a guitar with me and I want to do some dancing with potential amps.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sell me on stringjoy. I’m an NYXL purist but I’m always curious about those.

Note: I dislike balanced tension and don’t need custom gauges. Still worth checking out?
Nope.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Gibson

Chapter 11

Guess that's that.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Jonny Nox posted:

Gibson

Chapter 11

Guess that's that.

Goddamn Guitar Centers setting up shop next to strip clubs and drug dealers.

vvv edit: 40%? lol, in terms of total sum of price tags, maybe.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 1, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

"The company claims market share of more than 40% in electric guitars"

That's a creative way of looking at their lineup

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Since I'm not a US resident, can you dumb it down for me? Does that mean Henry J. and his jolly crew of yes-men dotards can gently caress off for parts unknown?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Since I'm not a US resident, can you dumb it down for me? Does that mean Henry J. and his jolly crew of yes-men dotards can gently caress off for parts unknown?

It means the courts are protecting them from being broken up by lenders.

It currently means the board is given a chance to try to right the ship (generally by restructuring their credit) but it also means a judge can say gently caress it and auction off their assets THQ style and pay off their creditors with whatever money they can scrape up.

CEO exit packages are low on the list of payees, I think.

IANAL of course.

Edit:

My guess wasn't far off.

https://www.bankruptcyinbrief.com/chapter-11-bankruptcy-explained/

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 1, 2018

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shugojin posted:

"The company claims market share of more than 40% in electric guitars"

That's a creative way of looking at their lineup

They surely meant the mark-up on their guitars.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Henry J is transitioning out in the deal so he should make out like a bamdit.

loving :lol:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Aw hell I hosed up the phone copy pasting and left out the qualifier of "costing over $2,000"

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Edit: answered way better than I could.

So Henry is still around, but only until the shareholders find a new CEO. I'm not too hopeful that they'll get someone who will really understand what Gibson needs though, most of the companies taking more control are realtor and investment firms. I guess time will tell.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 1, 2018

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
:woop: congratulations millennials on killing another industry :woop:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just get this guy:

Badda-bing, problem solved.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It's really annoying trying to find details right now. Although it's "funny" when every news story is word for word identical.

Pitchfork is saying that Henry will transition out as a required part of their creditor agreement, everywhere else just thinks you need to know that Chuck Berry and Slash were big fans.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Chuck "closed circuit tv enthusiast" Berry?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
...and now their guitars might start selling because speculators.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

it means a court signed off on the repayment deal they worked out with whoever they owe money to

in practice this means the venture capital firms they're in debt to now control the company instead of the shareholders

they've already decided to kill off the electronics stuff, and henry's getting his payout at some point

Jonny Nox posted:

It's really annoying trying to find details right now. Although it's "funny" when every news story is word for word identical.

the bloomberg article pretty much covers everything

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-01/gibson-files-for-bankruptcy-with-deal-to-renew-guitar-business

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 1, 2018

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I love how if you fail and gently caress up a company you can still make a few million dollars from being fired. America owns.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Chuck "pee pee poo poo enthusiast" Berry?

i guess that was the joke but lol chuck berry owns what a gross weirdo

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chip McFuck posted:

So Henry is still around, but only until the shareholders find a new CEO. I'm not too hopeful that they'll get someone who will really understand what Gibson needs though, most of the companies taking more control are realtor and investment firms. I guess time will tell.

it's not a huge company so the investors will probably sell it off in a year or two to some private equity group

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it's not a huge company so the investors will probably sell it off in a year or two to some private equity group
Hopefully the same one that owns Rondo Music / Agile Guitars. Or just sell it to Yamaha.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yamaha would be wonderful and I have to imagine they’re one of the best fits for what Gibson seemed to want to.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
yamaha might become a minor shareholder but i doubt they'd buy them outright

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I vote for FujiGen <3.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It's hard to imagine them having a CEO worse than Henry J. at the end -- of course we said the same thing about Jeffrey Loria and the Miami Marlins and look how that turned out.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
tbf a couple different private equity firms have been majority owners of fender for years and whoever's actually running the place seems to be somewhat competent

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I have no idea how Fender's doing financially and I don't care but speaking strictly as a person who shops for guitars I have no complaints about the way they do things. All their iconic models are available in a variety of configurations at basically every conceivable price point, their special models try some stuff but never go completely off the rails and they use their non-Fender brands in a way that makes sense.
Gibson is like "you want a Flying V? LOL gently caress you come back next year, maybe" and then makes poo poo like a $4,000 lime-green J-45.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah fender has been doing things okay. I think instruments as a whole are down recently but nobody at fender decided to buy a shitload of assorted failing brands and run up a big debt

Like iirc the actual guitars part of Gibson is still not doing that badly, it's just that it's nowhere near covering the massive ~ lifestyle brands ~ fuckup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://thehardtimes.net/music/gibson-execs-consider-selling-a-few-guitars-to-get-through-rough-patch/