Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
One of the main lessons of the entire Dune series was the importance of change, adaptation, forward thinking, creativity. For his son to employ a Star Wars author, an author in the scifi field requiring or permitting the least amount of creativity or novelty, is especially harsh. I don’t care that his son wrote prequels, I don’t even care that he wrote them badly. Some of Frank’s other non-Dune novels were pretty bad but were still interesting and creative. I think I and most of the rest of us care because he wrote them boringly, fixating of little details in the Dune books and expanding them to ridiculous proportions of importance while neglecting the overall whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I keep wondering if anyone has rendered the fat off the underlying philosophy of dune. Not what Frank said it was, but what he actually wrote, and what is actually there in the pages as less than subtle frank-talking-at-the-reader stuff, and seeing if it at all checks out into a working philsophical/religious framework.

i only say that because lol the litany actually worked for me in my life so i really wonder if some of the other stuff, if assembled and stripped of narrative would look like a coherent philosophy

but then i think... frank would probably hate that, and i hope it doesn't exist.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

but still secretly i hope someone makes a Frankish bible and starts a Church Of The Divided God.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Murray Mantoinette posted:

One of the main lessons of the entire Dune series was the importance of change, adaptation, forward thinking, creativity. For his son to employ a Star Wars author, an author in the scifi field requiring or permitting the least amount of creativity or novelty, is especially harsh. I don’t care that his son wrote prequels, I don’t even care that he wrote them badly. Some of Frank’s other non-Dune novels were pretty bad but were still interesting and creative. I think I and most of the rest of us care because he wrote them boringly, fixating of little details in the Dune books and expanding them to ridiculous proportions of importance while neglecting the overall whole.

Anderson isn't even creative by the standards of Star Wars novelists.

Let that poo poo sink in.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Ouch

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I follow the Fallen Moon and think that Muad'Dib lives still on a giant pile of spice. Don't let those Durian bastards know though.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

frank herbert could have written a loving prequel. he would have prequeled the ultimate prequel. people would be talking about how frank wrote the only good prequel ever.

but he was above prequels. forward thinkers don't look back and reminisce on what's already been done. turn that clock forward. write your own poo poo, son, and stop letting kevin j anderson poo poo on your dad's grave. there's no chance he did anything to deserve this level of defilement so let it rest dipshit

God gently caress this is like a spell of undoing for most modern fiction and that's a good thing.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

exmachina posted:

I follow the Fallen Moon and think that Muad'Dib lives still on a giant pile of spice. Don't let those Durian bastards know though.

Shut up you idiot. You wanna get the surface of the planet incinerated?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

basic hitler posted:

People itt seem to be misremembering paul's relationship to the golden path.

he saw the same thing, and had the same potential to do, what Leto II did. He had the same calling, however his identity as atreides made him desperate to avoid mere jihad and becoming his version of the Tyrant was entirely anathema to who he was at that point.

His son's personality being an amalgam of ancestor spirits that strongly identified as a fremen as more than a survival ruse meant that he was far more ready and willing to do the needful.

it was mostly a product of being preborn and being born into a society for whom survival was paramount, rather than a highborn imperial teenaged boy who adopted it to avoid dying.

Well yeah. I'd like to think that it was atreides sence of duty that made him do the needful but come to think of it Paul was more Atreides than Leto and he couldnt. The whole superpredator thing seems more primal and fremen than Atreides.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Remember how in Children of Dune like a third of the book covers an assassination plot of the Chile twin emperors of the galaxy and the plot revolves around training killer tigers, and there’s no backup plan?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Remember how in Children of Dune like a third of the book covers an assassination plot of the Chile twin emperors of the galaxy and the plot revolves around training killer tigers, and there’s no backup plan?

well how else are you supposed to kill two children

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

To be fair, Shaddam in Dune didn't have a backup plan for if Paul survived. Arguably a much bigger screw up.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Forget you losers, I'll do it myself

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Shai hulud

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

sweet geek swag posted:

To be fair, Shaddam in Dune didn't have a backup plan for if Paul survived. Arguably a much bigger screw up.

Honestly the entire plan against the Atreides was a big gamble. If anyone managed to escape with credible evidence of Sardaukar legions on Arrakis, it would have been all-out galactic war once the Landsraad found out. If anyone managed to get the family atomics off-planet, they could have hit the Harkonnens or the Emperor - what do the remnants of a dead House have to fear any longer?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I've kinda been wanting to read this, but it looks dense. Is it a particularly complicated slog of a read, or is it quite digestible. I'm not looking for Da Vinci Code or anything, but just wondering.

Also which version should I get. Cheers :)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's not an easy read and you have to be willing to accept that you aren't going to get immediate explanations for technology, traditions, factions, acronyms, and whatnot, nor full biographies of named characters.

It all comes together, though, and it's worth it. It's not "light reading" on your first (or probably second) go, though. One of the most rewarding works of fiction, to me.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Honestly the entire plan against the Atreides was a big gamble. If anyone managed to escape with credible evidence of Sardaukar legions on Arrakis, it would have been all-out galactic war once the Landsraad found out. If anyone managed to get the family atomics off-planet, they could have hit the Harkonnens or the Emperor - what do the remnants of a dead House have to fear any longer?

How are family atomics actually employed? A guidance system seems like it'd veer too close to thinking machine territory.

E: not to mention the guild monopoly on interstellar travel. Would you basically have to FedEx your nukes to the opposing house?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

henpod posted:

I've kinda been wanting to read this, but it looks dense. Is it a particularly complicated slog of a read, or is it quite digestible. I'm not looking for Da Vinci Code or anything, but just wondering.

Personally, I found it pretty smooth reading. Unlike a lot of "world builders" that drone on and on, Dune does a lot with details without getting boring. It's more like a painting than a book. The prose is straightforward and there's a good mix of description and dialogue.

I don't know if there's more than one version but it's my policy not to read abridged stuff, since you might miss something good.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If you can watch back to the future and understand what's going on you'll get dune. nerds like to sit around and pretend that this book is pondering deep mysteries or some poo poo, while ignoring how loving ludicruous it is that a planet full of water starved junkies take over the universe... at least until you get to the book where grown women gently caress little boys to awaken their prior selves. lmao

but yeah you shouldn't read it if you're over 16

FAGGY CLAUSE fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 1, 2018

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

LONG LIVE DUKE LETO! *holds pug in one arm, blaster in another*

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I always wondered why they wouldn’t clone Gurney instead of Duncan so you can get that sweet mandolin action through history.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

If you can watch back to the future and understand what's going on you'll get dune. nerds like to sit around and pretend that this book is pondering deep mysteries or some poo poo, while ignoring how loving ludicruous it is that a planet full of water starved junkies take over the universe... at least until you get to the book where grown women gently caress little boys to awaken their prior selves. lmao

but yeah you shouldn't read it if you're over 16

He who controls the spice controls the universe

Idiot

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

everyone girl wants feyd, no girl wants rabban

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dune is actually pretty deep compared to most fiction hth

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Started reading dune this week. Paul is an annoying piece of poo poo. Thanks for reading

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Dune rules but the real hardcore Dune nuts treat it like a religion. It's just space opera. Chill out and ride the worm.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dune is a great piece of fiction and has a richer world and much denser storytelling than nearly anything genre-comparable.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
When I was a kid, I bought a copy of the Dune RPG off a game store nerd for $40. He had bought up the copy before it went out of print. I really pressed him hard, but he caved and sold it to me.

Still have it.

Anyways it's going for $1,000 on ebay right now.

Edit: Plz don't doxx, hunt me down and rob/murder me.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Is it fun to play?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'll buy it from you for $42 + shipping, so you'll make a profit

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BONGHITZ posted:

Is it fun to play?
Yeah, actually. It's a neat concept, generally loyal to the original books, and has the players manage a house minor. Suffers from a lack of other books and Frank didn't really flesh out the universe in a very detailed way so you're kinda winging it. To be honest the House prequels are a decent guide and it takes place in the same period.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You could play a house minor attached to Atreides, or Harkonnen or even Wallach, Moritani or Corrino. Players would be like little league mentats, swordsmen, BG adepts, nobles, etc.

I sketched out all these ideas. A guild heighliner has an accident in orbit. A demagogic cult emerges on a nearby moon and begins to cause concern to the great house. Various feuds with other house minors. Or just start them off on Salusa Secundus and the adventure is to escape SOMEHOW and then find a house minor to take them in.

Or be Atreides and go to Arrakis when the timeline catches up. Then join the Fremen or become smugglers. Or alternatively, be an Atreides ally still on their planet as it tries to get a grip on the situation after their strongest ally is destroyed. So many possibilities!

drat I should do a play by post game

Edit: Also Matt Colville worked on it. He's a popular YouTuber now.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Harvard Lampoon spoof of Dune, DOON, is legit hilarious.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

There's a famously good Dune board game, of course long out of print, and an okay serial-numbers-filed-off RPG called Burning Sands where players are some combination of Jihadis and members of a Great House fighting over "The Salt."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Planet Athas in the D&D Dark Sun campaign world is basically high fantasy Arrakis.

Planet Angelis in the 40k setting, called GORKAMORKA by it's green-skinned residents, is also very Duneish

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

BONGHITZ posted:

LONG LIVE DUKE LETO! *holds pug in one arm, blaster in another*

That pug is my spirit animal.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I was reading a dune blog about that dinner party scene and I realised that this: "My son displays a general garment and you claim it's cut to your fit?" is actually a perfectly propos riposte, not a random comment to fit in the code word. That's puzzled me for like 35 years.

E:

quote:

"What the Baron will, I may," Lotto said firmly, striking the desk with his fist. "What I will, the Baron may or may not -- depending on whether I do."

"And if," Halfwit added.

Lotto paused, stunned by this last remark. Treachery? From Safire? Impossible! "What do you mean, Safire?"

The Mantan frowned. "My Lord -- what do you mean, what do I mean?"

"I mean, man, what do you mean 'and if'? Unless you mean what I think you mean -- in which case, I caution you, you play a dangerous game."

Halfwit's eyes widened as he realized the meaning of the Duke's words, or at least thought he did. "My Lord--!"

Lotto nodded grimly. "Precisely."

"Um . . . precisely what, my Lord?"

We are reduced to this, the Duke thought bitterly. To uncertainty within uncertainty within uncertainty, gambits within gambits within gambits, redundancy within redundancy within redundancy--

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 1, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Communist Walrus posted:

How are family atomics actually employed? A guidance system seems like it'd veer too close to thinking machine territory.

E: not to mention the guild monopoly on interstellar travel. Would you basically have to FedEx your nukes to the opposing house?

Stuff like that is fine according to the lore. The prohibition is against "machines that think like people" so the missile wouldn't be one that could intelligently pick its own target. Electronics aren't totally forbidden and exist everywhere but a guidance system would have be limited to pretty simple stuff. Like "here is the target, fly at it" levels of things. Cruise missiles that just stayed X feet off the ground might be pushing it but simple systems are not verboten.

Seeing as how atomics are rarely used in anything Dune I figured they were mostly just warheads that didn't get attached to much of anything because nobody ever used them. It was similar to how things are now; don't put me into a desperate enough situation to use atomic bombs because I have loving atomic bombs. They were more a ceremonial piece than an actual weapon designed to be used. I think the other side of it was a weapon of last resort; kind of a thing like "if I can't have it then nobody can." If you're facing total, irreparable defeat you just blow your world right the gently caress up and take out any invaders with it.

I don't remember there being many details beyond "they exist." This was also before the Cold War ended so literally everybody reading knew exactly what "everybody has a gently caress load of nuclear weapons" meant.

henpod posted:

It's dense but you don't really notice; Frank Herbert was a very, very good story teller. The story is mostly told around Paul's point of view and at the get go he's a sheltered 15 year old shithead that knows gently caress all about much of anything. You pretty much just learn about the whole situation and setting as he does so it works very well that a lot of things without details are thrown at you at first. Which is also why it's brilliant world building as it goes. You know it's science fiction and space travel exists because they're planning a space trip but they don't really explain how it works at first. Then you learn how space travel works and the fact that it literally can't work without spice...which comes from the planet they're going to.

...oh poo poo, important stuff is about to happen, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Atomics are strange beasts. The stoneburner in Messiah could have theoretically burned a hole to the core of the planet and destroyed it, and the radiation released by it meant that if you could witness the explosion you were left blind.

These aren't really things atomic weapons do in our world.

Paul detonates some in Dune to make some light terraforming happen so he can clown the harkonnen/sardukar, and those seem more typical in nature.

as for how they're used, yes they're mostly a pile of weapons meant to ensure that the house is exceptionally difficult to engage in total war with. It's part of why kanly and all these other idiotic things are a part of the highborn social order.

both times, the nukes were basically planted and set off.

obviously there are fights, but because of how shield warfare is more or less the status quo of Dune through to Messiah, it might be that they just fly around in shielded planes, secure an area, plant weapon, fly off, detonate.

of course you're supposed to airburst atomic weapons to maximize destruction but who knows if frank knew that, there's nothing to imply they're using missiles, although they wouldn't be against the jihad.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 1, 2018