Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I go into VR to escape into a fanciful dreamworld where this conversation never took place, a better world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My old opatomatriwhatever was a bit weird about it as well, but w/e. My IPD is below the minimum of the Vive, so I make due. That being said the method I posted about earlier does in a pinch. Most eye doctors make their profit margins off of you buying glasses there, so it’s not too surprising they get defensive with the availability of online glasses and such.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Songbearer posted:

I go into VR to escape into a fanciful dreamworld where this conversation never took place, a better world

HEY! gently caress YOU! THIS IS MY WORLD! DON’T TOUCH THAT! gently caress YOU! GET OUTTA HERE!

Please play Accounting VR. :3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dewgy posted:

HEY! gently caress YOU! THIS IS MY WORLD! DON’T TOUCH THAT! gently caress YOU! GET OUTTA HERE!

Please play Accounting VR. :3:

One of those things I kept meaning to play but never did. Should take care of that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bored at work so here's a dumb question, how do you all fit the deluxe audio strapped vive to your face? High and loose, resting on the cheekbones, or centered and really tight, or what?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I know the price was already confirmed but seeing actually for sale makes me lol:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ciaphas posted:

Bored at work so here's a dumb question, how do you all fit the deluxe audio strapped vive to your face? High and loose, resting on the cheekbones, or centered and really tight, or what?

Tight-ish I guess? There’s not much room for wearing it different ways as opposed to the stock strap.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Zero VGS posted:

I know the price was already confirmed but seeing actually for sale makes me lol:

Jesus Christ. That’s pricey, especially since the WMR headsets already offer better resolution and less screen door effect at a fraction of the cost.

For transparency: I bought WMR and like to say nice things about it.

EDIT: Unrelated, but if anyone was on the edge of their seat about this, Natural Locomotion is pretty cool and has more or less eliminated my nausea in Skyrim.

Macintosh HD fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 30, 2018

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Macintosh HD posted:

Jesus Christ. That’s pricey, especially since the WMR headsets already offer better resolution and less screen door effect at a fraction of the cost.

EDIT: Unrelated, but if anyone was on the edge of their seat about this, Natural Locomotion is pretty cool and has more or less eliminated my nausea in Skyrim.

speaking of which, the windows update containing the tracking and steamvr improvements launched today.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Macintosh HD posted:

Which one and how is it?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I got the Dell Visor and I think it’s pretty great. I previously had a Rift but returned it due to poor readability in stuff like Elite Dangerous and DCS.

For $240 I got a HMD (plus motion controllers) with nicer visuals, less screen door effect, acceptable readability, and basically the same FOV.

The downsides are more or less limited to occcasional tracking issues for the controllers during some specific edgecase situations, no headphones or microphone, and awkward interface (SteamVR on top of Windows MR). Also, the IPD can’t be adjusted physically so if your IPD is outside the range that the software can fix, you’re kinda out of luck.

I don’t want to sound like a shill for Dell or whatever, but I honestly feel that the common criticisms that WMR gets are a little overblown. I’m not saying they’re perfect, but I think it’s a great product to get while we’re stuck in “gen 1.5”. I wont be upset if something amazing and new comes out.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

How's the updated tracking with WMR?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

homeless snail posted:

yeah if it's good i might pull the trigger on a WMR headset

I honestly thought the tracking in the Halo Recruit demo was totally fine, but I'm assuming that's because that game was specifically made for WMR

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

homeless snail posted:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I honestly thought the tracking in the Halo Recruit demo was totally fine, but I'm assuming that's because that game was specifically made for WMR

Unfortunately, I can't answer that. I had the spring update insider build, as well as the SteamVR and SteamVR for WMR betas installed from the first moment I had the Dell Visor. I don't have any experience with the tracking before these updates were in place. :(

But, I stand by my earlier comment that I think the complaints about tracking were blown slightly out of proportion.

EDIT: For clarity, I have experienced loss of tracking when the controllers were behind me but it hasn't affected me negatively to the point where it's a deal breaker for me. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't sounding like I haven't experienced any loss of tracking.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Macintosh HD posted:

I was on the edge of my seat, and what held me back was that I'm not sure how it'd work for specifically Skyrim, and games like it, where you're expected to be able to move around while swinging a sword or shooting magic. Do you just use thumbstick movement when you have to use your hands to aim?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Phenotype posted:

I was on the edge of my seat, and what held me back was that I'm not sure how it'd work for specifically Skyrim, and games like it, where you're expected to be able to move around while swinging a sword or shooting magic. Do you just use thumbstick movement when you have to use your hands to aim?

That's what I was doing in those moments and it was fine. If you're not keen on that, it appears that only one controller needs to be used in order for movement to happen. If you're using your right hand to shoot magic, you can use your left hand to guide your movement. The way it works (I'm using WMR, so your controls may vary) is you hold the grip button on the controller you intend to use for movement, aim it, and do the motion for movement. As long as you're not holding the grip button on the other controller you're using to shoot fire, it won't affect your movement.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It was fine before. I did the dell thing a couple months ago and gave it a glowing review. Tracking included

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Beat Saber unlocks for early access in 8 hours. Get hype!

In other news, Pavlov's had 2-3x the players of Onward for the past week or two. That was a long time coming.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So about Soundboxing seemingly being abandoned...

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Pavlov has so many players now it breaks the join menu because if the first 5 games are full there's no way to scroll down to see and join more.

Adding the new holster areas, a plant the bomb game mode, and improved sprint mechanic really made the game a ton more fun. It's really the best multiplayer gun game to pick up and play for 15 mins. You can launch the game and play 2 rounds in the time it takes you to even get started in onward or stand out.

Stand out is especially frustrating because if they just quartered the size of the map doubled the guns and halved the starting timer it'd be way better. I just don't fancy spending more time sitting in the lobby and scrambling for a gun than i do actually playing the game.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 1, 2018

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Didn't someone mention before that The Forest has VR support? It's on Steam's front page today and triggered that memory

Is it good?

edit: Beat Saber unlocks in a couple of hours! Yay!

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

nickhimself posted:

Didn't someone mention before that The Forest has VR support? It's on Steam's front page today and triggered that memory

Is it good?

edit: Beat Saber unlocks in a couple of hours! Yay!

It looks like VR is coming May 22nd as a free update.

I don’t remember liking The Forest, but it will be cool to check it out again once this update happens.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bhodi posted:

Pavlov has so many players now it breaks the join menu because if the first 5 games are full there's no way to scroll down to see and join more.

Adding the new holster areas, a plant the bomb game mode, and improved sprint mechanic really made the game a ton more fun. It's really the best multiplayer gun game to pick up and play for 15 mins. You can launch the game and play 2 rounds in the time it takes you to even get started in onward or stand out.

Stand out is especially frustrating because if they just quartered the size of the map doubled the guns and halved the starting timer it'd be way better. I just don't fancy spending more time sitting in the lobby and scrambling for a gun than i do actually playing the game.

Pavlov's game lobbies are paginated. I often see 3 pages of games.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bhodi posted:

Stand out lobbies are no longer than 5 min and that’s assuming you hit them as it starts. 1-3 min max most the time.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Bhodi posted:

The menu has always displayed non-full games first, but the surge in popularity prompted the dev to (finally) add pagination recently too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Whoever thought sticking a Cube-Sat behind a crate at the Primary Digsite in Lone Echo was a good idea is a mean-spirited bastard of a person. I crawled over, and through, that drat asteroid for ages trying to find that last loving Cube-Sat :argh:.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Uh, yeah... I'm at work and just watched a few minutes of someone playing Beat Saber. Took <5 minutes of game play to sell me on it. It looks so damned fun and the music is awesome

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

nickhimself posted:

Uh, yeah... I'm at work and just watched a few minutes of someone playing Beat Saber. Took <5 minutes of game play to sell me on it. It looks so damned fun and the music is awesome

It’s soooooo good. I played a little just to get ready for a stream later and holy poo poo I’m hooked. This and boxvr means I’m pretty much playing nothing but these for a while. Sorry stand out and other games.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

At least you're playing other games. I've purchased like three games in the past month and a half, and I've mostly been playing a game I've owned for a couple of years instead.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Does Beat Saber really only have ten tracks?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

FBS posted:

Between that and no editor yet, I'm giving it a pass for a bit.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FBS posted:

Yes. There’s a few game modes too. I’m stoked.

It’s also early access not a full release. More is coming. It’s literally 2 devs.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

The devs are planning on adding more tracks and more game modes (like custom tracks). To me, twenty bucks isn't a bad entry point for something that looks extremely good and right up my alley.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, it's nice to have a VR music game with it's own soundtrack. For Early Access that isn't too bad.

Scruff_McGee
Mar 11, 2007

Thats a purdy smile
For $20 Beat Saber makes me feel like a disco jedi and its awesome. The blocks coming at you that you have to dodge adds a lot to your movement as compared to sound boxing.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

There's also the Miku-style rhythm game Airtone which is good if you like the anime style. 25 tracks and 3 difficulties. At least it's apparently way better than the official Miku VR game on Steam, which sounds rushed and cashing in on the IP while providing a half-baked game with only 8 tracks.

As expected, the hand motions and aesthetic are emasculating, so probably a game to play in a locked room by yourself if you identify as a man.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Whoever thought sticking a Cube-Sat behind a crate at the Primary Digsite in Lone Echo was a good idea is a mean-spirited bastard of a person. I crawled over, and through, that drat asteroid for ages trying to find that last loving Cube-Sat :argh:.

The ones that killed me were all the ones in between areas, just floating in space along the fury transport routs.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like the Go embargo just dropped so Ars has a review up: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/05/oculus-go-review-the-wireless-vr-future-begins-today-for-only-199/

It's... about what I expected, an easier Gear VR experience which is probably just about worth it at two benjamins, but personally is of no interest to me.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mobby_6kl posted:

Looks like the Go embargo just dropped so Ars has a review up: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/05/oculus-go-review-the-wireless-vr-future-begins-today-for-only-199/

It's... about what I expected, an easier Gear VR experience which is probably just about worth it at two benjamins, but personally is of no interest to me.

Huh, that's cute if it can run Ultrawings. That would be fun for a flight if you could hook it up to a powerbank or an outlet if you're on a plane that supports it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Is the "facial interface" that comes from vrcover the same dimensions as the stock one from Oculus? I want to use a 3d printed lens frame that I found on thingiverse but I don't know if it will work with vrcover's insert.