Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Another forum I'm in keeps trying to recommend Jordan Peterson and I'm getting pretty loving sick of it but they're exactly the type of assholes who would use the same argument style to endlessly needle as to why I think he's so abhorrent and I just don't have the patience anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

13Pandora13 posted:

Another forum I'm in keeps trying to recommend Jordan Peterson and I'm getting pretty loving sick of it but they're exactly the type of assholes who would use the same argument style to endlessly needle as to why I think he's so abhorrent and I just don't have the patience anymore.

I’d pay real money to have an actual academic do a Let’s Read of Peterson’s pseudointellectual bullshittery.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Peterson’s just Ben Shapiro’s fully-evolved form, they both present the bog-standard conservative ideology that every cousin-humper in Arkansas agrees with, but dress it up with words big enough to confuse dimwits into thinking that they’re actually intellectuals. Peterson just has the added weapon of academic language.

It’s kind of funny to read a couple paragraphs to laugh at what a bloviating prick he is but “women are bad and men are good” being run through an English-to-academia translator really isn’t all that interesting to make fun of.

Although now that I’ve said all that, the Chapo Trap House segments on him are all really good, especially the episode where they all tore into his book for the whole runtime.

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 16:58 on May 1, 2018

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

There's an interview with Jordan Peterson where he suggests that if women don't want to experience sexual harassment at work they shouldn't wear makeup to work

il_cornuto has a new favorite as of 15:16 on May 1, 2018

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

13Pandora13 posted:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Perhaps the dorkiest thing about Peterson is that he believes he can't have a "proper" argument with a woman because there's no implicit threat of violence. Apparently, to him a proper argument only carries weight when the people involved could theoretically come to fisticuffs about it or whatever, which doesn't work when a woman is involved. Mind that this is coming from the same guy who, by his own proud admission, got into some sort of simian stare-off with a three year old boy (who'd gotten into a fight with his daughter on the playground) and fantasized about how much better the world would be if he was allowed to beat the poo poo out of that child.

So yeah, dude's a massive dweeb hiding behind a shitload of bluster.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I will fite Peterson IRL. :colbert:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Is there a thread on this dude or anything? He sounds like an amazing trainwreck.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Perestroika posted:

Perhaps the dorkiest thing about Peterson is that he believes he can't have a "proper" argument with a woman because there's no implicit threat of violence. Apparently, to him a proper argument only carries weight when the people involved could theoretically come to fisticuffs about it or whatever, which doesn't work when a woman is involved. Mind that this is coming from the same guy who, by his own proud admission, got into some sort of simian stare-off with a three year old boy (who'd gotten into a fight with his daughter on the playground) and fantasized about how much better the world would be if he was allowed to beat the poo poo out of that child.

So yeah, dude's a massive dweeb hiding behind a shitload of bluster.

Remember that MRA guy who boasted that a man had has no combat training could always beat a woman who does because of :biotruths: and was scheduled to go up against a female MMA fighter until the local athletics commission refused to sanction the fight and cancelled it?

This reminded me of that.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember that MRA guy who boasted that a man had has no combat training could always beat a woman who does because of :biotruths: and was scheduled to go up against a female MMA fighter until the local athletics commission refused to sanction the fight and cancelled it?

This reminded me of that.

Apparently the venue shut it down, so they rescheduled.

He only lost because he got "winded". About 5 seconds in.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Hahaha, amazing. I need to go and look this up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Toast Museum posted:

Is there a thread on this dude or anything? He sounds like an amazing trainwreck.
EDIT. Sorry, thought you were asking about Peterson.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 23:14 on May 1, 2018

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I'm not sure which mental image is funnier: this guy using "getting winded" as a euphemism for being punched in the gut, or the guy literally wheezing and collapsing after two seconds in the ring

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Although now that I’ve said all that, the Chapo Trap House segments on him are all really good, especially the episode where they all tore into his book for the whole runtime.
I was gonna say, that ep is pretty fuckin great, and also features ten minutes of James Adomian's Elon Musk impersonation which is the funniest thing I've heard in a minute.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOtEzwWX9yg

He only manages to get her on the ground because she slips trying to punch him. He's not actually strong enough to do anything with it and gets it reversed really fast.

Edit: His opponent was also 40 years old and I don't think she's fought competitively for years.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 22:45 on May 1, 2018

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Peterson’s just Ben Shapiro’s fully-evolved form, they both present the bog-standard conservative ideology that every cousin-humper in Arkansas agrees with, but dress it up with words big enough to confuse dimwits into thinking that they’re actually intellectuals. Peterson just has the added weapon of academic language.

I would replace "dimwits" with "the bourgeoisie," but otherwise, yes.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I would replace "dimwits" with "the bourgeoisie," but otherwise, yes.

that's just how synonyms work though

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mr. Sunshine posted:

...people do know it's fiction, right?

Old post, but I just want to remind everybody about Robert Pattinson's Twilight fangirls (who are still at it, by the way).

They would approach him at events, with open wounds, and beg him to drink their blood. Because he played a vampire in a loving movie. He was legitimately scared he'd get HIV from one of those people. The guy's life was a living hell, and I am so sorry for everybody who was involved in those movies.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

There’s a good one in C-SPAM.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I recall rumors that Pattinson didn’t bathe to dissuade people from approaching them during that time. There are also rumors he’s the person who leaked “Midnight Sun,” SMeyer’s attempt to write Twilight from Edward’s perspective. Note unlike Rowling who kept the end of Potter locked in a bank safe for years, Meyer would give drafts to close friends/family for feedback (and had experienced leaks with previous books iirc). She was so upset with the “Midnight Sun” leak she blamed the fandom and flounced off with a remark that boiled down to it was their fault she would never complete the book. James ought to thank the stars (or her lawyers) that Meyer’s never sued her.

There’s an old LJ “Das Sporking” that spent literal years picking Twilight apart, but the most fascinating part imo is the breakdown of Meyer’s career from the last book coming out through the film releases. Fans were questioning the payoff (the extremely tame sex scene that leads into immediate pregnancy, the rest of the story’s hyperfocuses on Bella to the point of Edward all but disappearing) and Meyer kept dancing around the criticism until it wasn’t fun anymore; her brother (in-law? Been years since I read this stuff) acting as manager responded to fans in an incredibly condescending way that soured a lot of people on the series. Meyer also would go on her own fan boards and post stuff that didn’t make it into the books, including some disturbing ideas I’m sure she’s ignorant of but boil down to humanity sucks and her protagonists deserve to rule the world.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I recall rumors that Pattinson didn’t bathe to dissuade people from approaching them during that time. There are also rumors he’s the person who leaked “Midnight Sun,” SMeyer’s attempt to write Twilight from Edward’s perspective. Note unlike Rowling who kept the end of Potter locked in a bank safe for years, Meyer would give drafts to close friends/family for feedback (and had experienced leaks with previous books iirc). She was so upset with the “Midnight Sun” leak she blamed the fandom and flounced off with a remark that boiled down to it was their fault she would never complete the book. James ought to thank the stars (or her lawyers) that Meyer’s never sued her.

There’s an old LJ “Das Sporking” that spent literal years picking Twilight apart, but the most fascinating part imo is the breakdown of Meyer’s career from the last book coming out through the film releases. Fans were questioning the payoff (the extremely tame sex scene that leads into immediate pregnancy, the rest of the story’s hyperfocuses on Bella to the point of Edward all but disappearing) and Meyer kept dancing around the criticism until it wasn’t fun anymore; her brother (in-law? Been years since I read this stuff) acting as manager responded to fans in an incredibly condescending way that soured a lot of people on the series. Meyer also would go on her own fan boards and post stuff that didn’t make it into the books, including some disturbing ideas I’m sure she’s ignorant of but boil down to humanity sucks and her protagonists deserve to rule the world.

Hey remember how she resolved the love triangle by making the loser actually in love with Bella's unborn child and then start grooming the magically-quick aged baby while everyone sort of shrugged and went 'yes, this is a totally normal thing'.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Fans were questioning the payoff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-turfrcQY-w

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I really wish John Connolly's Charlie Parker novels weren't all 450 or so pages because there's not 450 pages worth of story in any of them :(

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Schubalts posted:

Old post, but I just want to remind everybody about Robert Pattinson's Twilight fangirls (who are still at it, by the way).

They would approach him at events, with open wounds, and beg him to drink their blood. Because he played a vampire in a loving movie. He was legitimately scared he'd get HIV from one of those people. The guy's life was a living hell, and I am so sorry for everybody who was involved in those movies.

Also the kid who played Joffrey used to get spat at in the street because people are loving IDIOTS.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/chaeronaea/status/992291493506306048/photo/1

:boobeer:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Drunken Baker posted:

Also the kid who played Joffrey used to get spat at in the street because people are loving IDIOTS.

Goes back even further: Tim Piggot-Smith has talked about being castigated on the street because of his character in The Jewel in the Crown.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rascar Capac posted:

Goes back even further: Tim Piggot-Smith has talked about being castigated on the street because of his character in The Jewel in the Crown.

Similarly, Carol White reportedly had strangers approaching her for years trying to offer her money because they had seen Cathy Come Home and were worried that she was homeless and destitute in real life as well.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

The amazing part of this is that it manages to get so much worse than, "Brie off a wet nurses nipple."

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Ya know that old peasant saying...

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I don't know for certain, and I'm not going to find out, but I'm confident that an uncleaned human butthole does not taste like bitter chocolate nor smell of tobacco.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Patrick Spens posted:

The amazing part of this is that it manages to get so much worse than, "Brie off a wet nurses nipple."

Yeah, I feel like they buried the lede juuust a touch

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

1stGear posted:

I don't know for certain, and I'm not going to find out, but I'm confident that an uncleaned human butthole does not taste like bitter chocolate nor smell of tobacco.

But what if we make "blowing smoke up your rear end" literal???

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

1stGear posted:

HE SAID STRANGELY

IT'S LIKE YOU DIDN'T EVEN READ IT

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
maybe she wanted some snus but didn't wanna risk jaw cancer

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Death by snus snus?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
both vineyards

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Peasants, known for discussing vineyards.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

I really wish John Connolly's Charlie Parker novels weren't all 450 or so pages because there's not 450 pages worth of story in any of them :(
I got him confused with Michael Connolly for the longest time, which is a drat shame because Michael Connolly owns if you like utility-grade but engaging mysteries with lots of story, and he has you covered for road trips basically indefinitely.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Screaming Idiot posted:

oh my god what is that man doing to his snus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Whenever I read a particularly bad sex scene in a book, the first thing that happens is I'm amazed that the author thought that whatever they were writing was erotic enough to be included. Then I realize: "Holy poo poo, I'm reading someone's kink right here on the page."

This guy could go on to write some of the most hauntingly beautiful prose that will be studied by literature scholars for centuries to come, but to me he'll always be the dude who wants to lick brie off a lactating woman's nipple and who thinks that a woman's rear end in a top hat smells like tobacco and tastes like bitter chocolate.