Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I get called a moron in the Trump thread because I argue for primarying a lot of Dems by people scared of losing seats....

Condiv posted:

not impossible, just much much much less likely. which is all that needs to happen. the dems will abandon or destroy any leftists who make it out of the primaries

If progressives win the CA or NY primary, they will win the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

Loving people trying to reference letters from a birmingham jail by Martin "Voting is the foundation stone for political action." Luther King Jr to explain why not voting is actually the wokest course of action.

loving you trying to coopt martin luther king jr while stanning for oligarchs that would strip away our ability to make a change with our votes.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

WampaLord posted:

I never said to not vote, don't you put loving words in my mouth.

But individual votes don't matter! This is an important distinction because

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Holy poo poo are you dumb. Like, inidvidual votes matter when you manage to suppress 40k voters. That's 40k individual votes.

A GROUP OF 40,000 IS NOT AN INDIVIDUAL VOTE

Yea, I'm the dumb one.

Jaxyon posted:

But individual votes don't matter! This is an important distinction because

Jesus loving christ what are you even arguing anymore? "Suck it up and vote lovely dem" is the only coherent point I've seen you manage to vomit out.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

If progressives win the CA or NY primary, they will win the election.

maybe, but without the dem party's assistance, and quite possibly with the dem party trying to destroy their chances.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Condiv posted:

loving you trying to coopt martin luther king jr while stanning for oligarchs that would strip away our ability to make a change with our votes.

Lol are you so stupid that you don't realize that people were quoting MLK already to try and argue for not voting or protest voting?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Did any of those Democrats get punished by their voters?

Some did, some didn't.

Notable that the party is supporting Manchin against his primary opponent even though Manchin is a racist who will ensure that nothing is done for the DREAMers even in the unlikely scenario that Democrats get another senate supermajority and the even more unlikely scenario that no other Democrats in that potential supermajority are also racists who will also want to deport the DREAMers.

In other words, the Party would rather protect the ability of Republican Presidents to deport DREAMers than let progressives win, some allies.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Lol are you so stupid that you don't realize that people were quoting MLK already to try and argue for not voting or protest voting?

Again, not what I was arguing. 0/10, sloppy work, please try again.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I for one, think MLK would have posted to internet forums about how far left he is and how working in local politics is basically worthless.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

protest voting is an exercise of the right to vote, in an attempt to affect change. you on the other hand are advocating for supporting and never voting for anyone but oligarchs who would like our votes to be totally meaningless and incapable of affecting change.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

VitalSigns posted:

Some did, some didn't.

Notable that the party is supporting Manchin against his primary opponent even though Manchin is a racist who will ensure that nothing is done for the DREAMers even in the unlikely scenario that Democrats get another senate supermajority and the even more unlikely scenario that no other Democrats in that potential supermajority are also racists who will also want to deport the DREAMers.

In other words, the Party would rather protect the ability of Republican Presidents to deport DREAMers than let progressives win, some allies.

Manchin should be kicked out of the conference and he shouldn't get any support from the party for his reelection. I'd said that multiple times.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

I for one, think MLK would have posted to internet forums about how far left he is and how working in local politics is basically worthless.

You keep having fun battling that strawman buddy

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

Manchin should be kicked out of the conference and he shouldn't get any support from the party for his reelection. I'd said that multiple times.

and yet you insist that we vote for him if he's on the GE ballot.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

WampaLord posted:

You keep having fun battling that strawman buddy

I do appreciate the balls/ovaries it takes post this after what you and others have already posted here.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mcmagic posted:

You are being willfully ignorant. Even Obama's bad track record on ICE is NOTHING compared to the terrorism they are engaged in now.
Who's "dismissing" policies that are "vile" now?

Perhaps the most exasperating trait of liberals is the way you smugly claim to be in command of the facts when you have the political memory of a puppy wondering where the shiny ball went. (It's in Rahm Emmanuel's back pocket.)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Condiv posted:

and yet you insist that we vote for him if he's on the GE ballot.

Yes, you should vote for him in the general. I'm unconvinced that a republican winning that seat would be better for any of the policy outcomes that I want.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

I do appreciate the balls/ovaries it takes post this after what you and others have already posted here.

we didn't post that local political action is worthless. nor have i seen people posting about how far left they are. so maybe you should get your eyes examined?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

An important thing to take into account is that, as the Democrats are now, electing them is almost a guarantee of a Republican president at the end of the current president's term (or at least Republican control over most of the government). So it's not a matter of if we have Republicans in charge, but just when. And at the end of the day, individuals choosing not to vote for the sort of reasons listed in this thread are not what's dictating this. You can talk about how bad Republicans are (and be correct about that) until you're blue in the face, but people randomly choosing not to vote for any blame-worthy reason isn't what causes them to get into office. Among the reasons for lower voter involvement, leftists who think "both sides are just as bad" are pretty much at the bottom of the list. As long as general sentiment among Americans is negative, you're likely to continue to see the federal government swing between Republican and Democratic control (with probably more time overall going to Republicans due to how they've gerrymandered).

If you really cared about Republicans gaining power, you'd be far, far more angry with the Democratic Party (and other influential/powerful organizations), because it has considerably more control over how it performs in elections. As I said before, someone refusing to support the Democrats because the Democrats are quite literally a "lesser evil" is, at worst, "understandably wrong." I don't see what's so hard to understand about someone not wanting to give any sort of support to bad people*, and given this particular rationale isn't actually responsible for electoral results I don't see any point in being so irritated and angry with it (unless, of course, the person in question just has a bone to pick with the radical left).

* Think of it this way; would you get mad at a minority who chose not to vote in an election where both candidates were openly racist? Maybe you would think it's still wrong for them to not vote for the lesser evil, but surely you wouldn't actually get angry with them? The exact same is true for "literally anyone who is disadvantaged in any way" and voting for the Democrats or Republicans, since both those groups are hostile to them to different degrees.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

Yes, you should vote for him in the general. I'm unconvinced that a republican winning that seat would be better for any of the policy outcomes that I want.

and yet you insist we vote for manchin, who is more republican than some republicans.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Condiv posted:

and yet you insist we vote for manchin, who is more republican than some republicans.

How does not voting for him in the GENERAL advance any of the policy outcomes I want? What does that look like?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Local action can be quite useful, I would dispute how useful it is if you manage to get everyone to just vote democrat whatever though.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Condiv posted:

we didn't post that local political action is worthless. nor have i seen people posting about how far left they are. so maybe you should get your eyes examined?

I didn't *checks notes* say to "never vote for anyone but corporate oligarchs" but here we are.

Man it's neat that you notice the strawmen of your position, but he ones you do to others are just simple truth, eh?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Im not going to vote in the new york primary or general election out of protest

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

How does not voting for him in the GENERAL advance any of the policy outcomes I want? What does that look like?

one less bad dem to rig primaries against progressives and lock progressives out of power.

how does voting for him in the general advance any of the policy outcomes you want? oh yeah, it doesn't unless you're a racist, love raising drug prices, want to get rid of abortion, hate lgbtq, minorities, etc.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Control Volume posted:

Im not going to vote in the new york primary or general election out of protest

Then you're part of the problem.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Then you're part of the problem.

Thats actually untrue. My vote has no impact in the new york election.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

I didn't *checks notes* say to "never vote for anyone but corporate oligarchs" but here we are.

Man it's neat that you notice the strawmen of your position, but he ones you do to others are just simple truth, eh?

by insisting that we vote for dems at all times you are indeed saying to vote for oligarchs. and you're saying to support them in their attempts to destroy democracy by giving them political power

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Condiv posted:

one less bad dem to rig primaries against progressives and lock progressives out of power.

how does voting for him in the general advance any of the policy outcomes you want? oh yeah, it doesn't unless you're a racist, love raising drug prices, want to get rid of abortion, hate lgbtq, minorities, etc.

If you 're already past the chance to get rid of him in the primary, his vote is still better than any republican.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Control Volume posted:

Thats actually untrue. My vote has no impact in the new york election.

It's alot of people thinking this that is going to be the reason Cuomo isn't going to be replaced by a better democrat. Congrats.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Sure ok, and until this happens then the party can't claim to support immigrants because they are actively opposed to passing the DREAM Act.

Like there are some arguments for voting Dem that make sense, the Medicaid expansion, for example. But "Republicans are deporting immigrants" is not one because even when Democrats have a supermajority they conspire to make sure immigrants have no legal path to staying in the country, and their backing of racists in party primaries ensures that any theoretical supermajority will also keep childhood arrivals as a rightless underclass whose plight can be exploited for votes even though this means those immigrants will be deported the instant Democrats lose a presidential election which is inevitable at some point.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Condiv posted:

by insisting that we vote for dems at all times you are indeed saying to vote for oligarchs. and you're saying to support them in their attempts to destroy democracy by giving them political power

I did neither of those things. Like, do you believe these strawmen or are you breaking with reality?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

If you 're already past the chance to get rid of him in the primary, his vote is still better than any republican.

no, it really isn't. if you cared about the groups you claimed you care about you wouldn't spout such idiocy. and the dems are prepping a fresh batch of manchins (or you can call them joneses if you please) for the 2018 elections.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Condiv posted:

no, it really isn't. if you cared about the groups you claimed you care about you wouldn't spout such idiocy. and the dems are prepping a fresh batch of manchins (or you can call them joneses if you please) for the 2018 elections.

It is better. He voted against the Tax Bill and against the ACA Repeal. He can be a vile racist piece of poo poo and still be better than any republican. You have to take reality as it is.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

mcmagic posted:

It's alot of people thinking this that is going to be the reason Cuomo isn't going to be replaced by a better democrat. Congrats.

If theyre anything like me, those people wont have an impact in the new york election either

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

It is better. He voted against the Tax Bill and against the ACA Repeal. He can be a vile racist piece of poo poo and still be better than any republican. You have to take reality as it is.

Immigrants are expendable, got it thanks "ally"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

I did neither of those things. Like, do you believe these strawmen or are you breaking with reality?

Jaxyon posted:

Nobody, but that poster specifically said withholding votes was a strategy.

At this time, until laws are changed, that's not a winning strategy at all, and actively fucks over people.

don't try to gaslight me jaxyon, you've been pushing the lesser evil strategy the whole time. so yes, you did insist we give support to oligarchs. hth

mcmagic posted:

not enough no. i'm sure all the minorities that are in ice detention centers will thank him for protecting the ACA for them though

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Immigrants are expendable, got it thanks "ally"

Condiv posted:

not enough no. i'm sure all the minorities that are in ice detention centers will thank him for protecting the ACA for them though

A republican winning that seat would not be better for immigrants.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

it wouldn't in the short term, but it might mean the dems could be reformed. bad dems like manchin hanging on to power means no reform to the dems, and they keep getting worse for immigrants. again, nice try using them as a shield while supporting a racist.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

It would be the same for immigrants.

That's a bad thing that the party is supporting the Republican position on immigrants, mcmagic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Condiv posted:

don't try to gaslight me jaxyon, you've been pushing the lesser evil strategy the whole time. so yes, you did insist we give support to oligarchs. hth

What you posted is not me saying:

Condiv posted:

I've highlighted the weasel words you've added to my arguments. That's a strawman.

I'm going with B at this point, that you don't even realize you're doing this.

• Locked thread