Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Even Bryan had never heard it before, it was so loving great :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Onmi posted:

I think he's Adamant because frankly, He's Bryan Alvarez, once he has an idea he's NEVER convinced that he's wrong.

THE SECRET PLAN!

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Onmi posted:

Bryan is kinda loving dumb

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I took Bryan's point as that turning him face or heel didn't matter because he'd still be hanging around the main event just beating everybody that people actually like. He wants him to go away from the main event for a while because he's completely dead there. A heel turn wouldn't fix that, it'd just mean he'd spend more time beating babyfaces people like.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

VJeff posted:

I took Bryan's point as that turning him face or heel didn't matter because he'd still be hanging around the main event just beating everybody that people actually like. He wants him to go away from the main event for a while because he's completely dead there. A heel turn wouldn't fix that, it'd just mean he'd spend more time beating babyfaces people like.

But that could still be a dynamic that people get behind. In fact, it's technically the one that they're doing with Brock Lesner right now.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Roman turning heel would be great. At the minute, everything about his presentation - the way the announcers talk about him, the way his angles are written, the way his matches are booked - is completely at odds with how most of the fans want to treat him. He can still beat all the fans favourites and get heat, as long as he wrestles like a heel and Michael Cole is calling him a bastard

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A heel booed main eventer should not need to be saved from beatdowns by other heels by monster faces unless its leading to a face turn.

Face turn Roman imminent

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Roman sucks, WWE sucks, don't care about either.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
roman bring a heel isnt suddenly going to give the boos a different meaning they'll still be "please leave" boos which still wont help him

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
it'll help everyone around him because currently his booking actively harms people put into his radius by acting in ways that make no sense to us, as viewers

take wrestling as a soap opera and we have a character that is actively hated by watchers, is hated by the bad characters in universe, and is loved by the good characters in universe, and the effect is the good characters are less likable because they keep talking up this failure whose every plan fails

the solution is to make him into a bad guy so things start to make sense and stop actively making viewers annoyed at the good characters acting like moron cheerleaders, amnesia, or a bomb on a plane

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
im far past caring if hes a good heel and the smarks will cheer him, or he will be booed just as hard as a heel even as go away heat

hes a constant reminder of a failed experiment to be the looks of the rock with the personality of cena, when instead they just made a dead end like ultimate warrior or lex luger and are so stuck on pride and lack of direct competition they dont want to admit they managed to gently caress up a gorgeous, athletic, handsome, photogenic champion by making him the most unpopular person on the roster behind an irish dwarf, a pasty skinned vegan, a 40 year old debuter, a japanese drunk, a strongman, a hipster, a fat neckbeard, a fat samoan, a 60 year old with no knees, a satanist, and a man who cant play guitar

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Roman Reigns is Missile Assault Ant, got it.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is good because I think it’s the easiest way to get rid of her since she’ll say something dumb as gently caress

"As my husband used to say....."

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Roman needs to both turn heel and drop down the card at the same time. Have him become a spiteful bully who just beats the poo poo out of the lower card faces. Let him just take out his frustrations and murder Heath Slater and whoever else the crowd likes cheering down there, Tye Dillinger, No Way Jose, people like that. Get actual heel heat on him for being a nasty fucker. Then have more upper midcard faces that can afford the losses challenge him and lose too. Culminate in him taking the title off a beloved baby face champ, then figure out how you get to a big double turn match for him and someone like Dean

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Roman should beat up midcard geeks, just like Missile Assault Ant, got it.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Roman is a magnified Sheamus from a couple of years ago. He will find his place in a tag team or in the mid card sometime down the road. People will never forget though, and any attempt to move him back up the card will see whatever reactions he is getting by that point turned to boo’s again.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Roman just needs to go the gently caress away. his wrestling is boring, his character is non-existent and he can’t or won’t adjust either

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

remusclaw posted:

Roman is a magnified Sheamus from a couple of years ago. He will find his place in a tag team or in the mid card sometime down the road. People will never forget though, and any attempt to move him back up the card will see whatever reactions he is getting by that point turned to boo’s again.

I hope he looks stupid

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Roman just needs to go the gently caress away. his wrestling is boring, his character is non-existent and he can’t or won’t adjust either

It's definitely can't. Because Vince won't let him.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

coconono posted:

Roman should beat up midcard geeks, just like Missile Assault Ant, got it.

Roman will blow up a busload of kids in Zimbabwe and Cole will tell us how those kids got what they deserved for crossing THE BIG DOG

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Raskolnikov38 posted:

This is my stance as well. Even if you bump him down the card or turn him heel, the "Roman Reigns" character is just damaged goods at this point. It's been too long and he's too dull of a wrestler. I'm sure he can do good ringwork, but between the Undertaker match where he couldn't carry and the Brock matches that are four moves in total over and over again, I couldn't even begin to give a poo poo about Roman Reigns no matter what happens.

Like for christ's sake, how many people have been fed to the big dog in total? Both faces and heels have suffered because of it for no gain. The only one, the ONLY person I think who came out better for it was AJ Styles.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 1, 2018

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

CascadeBeta posted:

This is my stance as well. Even if you bump him down the card or turn him heel, the "Roman Reigns" character is just damaged goods at this point. It's been too long and he's too dull of a wrestler. I'm sure he can do good ringwork, but between the Undertaker match where he couldn't carry and the Brock matches that are four moves in total over and over again, I couldn't even begin to give a poo poo about Roman Reigns no matter what happens.

Like for christ's sake, how many people have been fed to the big dog in total? Both faces and heels have suffered because of it for no gain. The only one, the ONLY person I think who came out better for it was AJ Styles.

He’s a good worker, has consistently good matches, his ones with Brock stink, but you gotta wonder about that, Brock is good when he feels motivated and a sack of crap otherwise.

Disagree about him getting people over, Braun and Romans feud made Braun, It got him over as a face and put him in the position of monster who does ludicrous things.

I do wonder if this is partially CM Punks fault, his interview with Cabana and the “Make Roman look strong” segment may have exposed him as the chosen guy early on and set a narrative that led to him being rejected by a large chunk of the fans.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

HidaO-Win posted:

I do wonder if this is partially CM Punks fault, his interview with Cabana and the “Make Roman look strong” segment may have exposed him as the chosen guy early on and set a narrative that led to him being rejected by a large chunk of the fans.

I mean, it's not CM Punk's fault but there was also the story that CM Punk's idea of the Shield was Rollins, Ambrose and Chris Hero...

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

HidaO-Win posted:

It was this plus Roman and Bryan returning from medical problems around the same time that basically did him in.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I went back and listened to a WOR from February 2012 on a lark. Dave really doesn't seem too high on this kid that beat Tanahashi... :v:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Today’s Observer Live has been put in the WOR feed

Fuckers trying to trick me into listening to Semp. NOPE.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

HidaO-Win posted:

He’s a good worker, has consistently good matches, his ones with Brock stink, but you gotta wonder about that, Brock is good when he feels motivated and a sack of crap otherwise.

Disagree about him getting people over, Braun and Romans feud made Braun, It got him over as a face and put him in the position of monster who does ludicrous things.

The problem wasn't that, the year before Roman won the rumble he came second to Batista and people were cheering for Roman to win - not because he wasn't Bryan but because Batista then represented what Roman does now. He was ordained to win, everyone knew it, and the fans desperately wanted something new especially after the shenanigans to get Cena v Rock twice-ina-lifetime bullshit the year previous.

They gave him the elimination record and if they had pulled the trigger and just strapped a rocket to him it would've worked but instead it became clear as day he was being groomed to be the future but damnit we need Randy v Batista to main event wrestlemania so they passed over Roman and Bryan in one swoop.

By a year later a lot changed - CM Punk had quit at that same rumble, The Shield had broken up and instantly Roman was moved to the main event challenging for the world title over Bryan who had established himself firmly as the top face in the fans eyes. Roman was still very very green as well and he went from being a hot tag to being a singles wrestler in the main where he didn't have Seth to cover up his deficiencies.

To make matters worse Roman got hurt that year and they kept having crossover interviews to check on how Roman is doing, and they were done sincerely to that everyone cinnected them to both "where's poochy" and a hilariously non-heel version of Randy Orton's injury updates. It was at this time Punk and Cabana did the podcast, and yeah it all just added up to how a guy who was injured was being pushed down the fans throats.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
It didnt help the injury was a strangulated hernia, which meant that a bunch of idiots thought it was a herniated disc, so a lot of jokes were cracked about Roman having a bad back when in reality his intestines were out of place, being wrapped around his spinal discs, causing his spine compress the intestines putting them
in danger of being ruptured, which would have a high chance of killing him.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Lid posted:

The problem wasn't that, the year before Roman won the rumble he came second to Batista and people were cheering for Roman to win - not because he wasn't Bryan but because Batista then represented what Roman does now. He was ordained to win, everyone knew it, and the fans desperately wanted something new especially after the shenanigans to get Cena v Rock twice-ina-lifetime bullshit the year previous.

I was at that Rumble, that crowd would've cheered for anyone in that spot. We weren't cheering for Roman, we were cheering the guy that wasn't Batista. Epico could've been the last guy in that Rumble with Batista and he'd have gotten as big of a reaction.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dave: Stupid people could go to the moon and they'd still be stupid.

:allears:

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Jerusalem posted:

Dave: Stupid people could go to the moon and they'd still be stupid.

:allears:

Love it when Dave focuses on Bryan's stupid throw away lines. i was surprised and also relieved that Bryan just let it go once Dave was done.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VJeff posted:

I went back and listened to a WOR from February 2012 on a lark. Dave really doesn't seem too high on this kid that beat Tanahashi... :v:

Nobody was except Gedo and Jado and who the gently caress are they.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
It was near unanimous that Okada was a poor choice at the time

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

VJeff posted:

Everyone thought before his win the Okada push was a bad idea. He had a lovely Done match and a bad promo challenging after so there were very low expectations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

algebra testes posted:

Nobody was except Gedo and Jado and who the gently caress are they.

That shirt proved to not be as popular as the other.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GoutPatrol posted:

Everyone thought before his win the Okada push was a bad idea. He had a lovely Done match and a bad promo challenging after so there were very low expectations.

Even the match where he beat Tanahashi ain't that special. The crowd is pretty lukewarm on it until the finish blows them away.

You gotta give Gedo credit. He picked his guy and he loving went full-steam ahead. He didn't chicken out twice like Vince has. It doesn't hurt that Okada did kinda turn out to be the best wrestler in the world, though. :v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Okada lives and breathes his character, that's the special sauce Roman "I get to work for a couple nights a week and go home" Reigns doesn't have.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Have they ever covered how much merch Roman is moving? Most of Vince's failed projects tend to get waysided after the numbers come in.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

Have they ever covered how much merch Roman is moving? Most of Vince's failed projects tend to get waysided after the numbers come in.

I thought I remembered someone saying his shirts were #3 behind Cena and Nakamura but I could be wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Okada grew into the role quickly though and when he lost his first title Dave remarked that it might have been to early.

With Okada it shows if you think the guy is the guy you need to give him the chance to show it. With Naito you see if the first push doesn't take you repackge the talent so it stands a better chance of getting over. With Roman we see that doing neither just ends up being awful