Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Koalas March posted:

Remember this is the same country that went nuts because their Prince (who is 4 times removed from succession) is marrying a divorced biracial actress from the US.

No, a small minority of right-wing morons went nuts and then the rest of us had to listen them :qq: about it forever because the media are morons who whipped the whole thing out of proportion because they think balanced reporting means giving all sides equal coverage.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 19:03 on May 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mu Zeta posted:

From what I understand, the UK's version of multiculturalism is a whole different thing where they have like separate schools, standards, and neighborhoods meant for certain ethnicities.

From someone who lives in the UK, you understand wrong.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Explain it like I'm 5 because every article I read and interview I watch seems to think it's something different

I used to hate-watch Douglas Murray videos but he never really explained exactly what it was.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
He's right. If there's a Muslim man with a beard, that's ok, but if it's a Muslim man with a beard and a bomb and he wants to kill your family, you should hate him. Also if it's a white dude with a beard and a bomb and he wants to kill your family.

Basically anyone with a bomb that wants to kill your family probably isn't gonna be your best friend.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When most of these people grew up, the terrorist stereotype was guy from Belfast in a balaclava whose voice was dubbed in and whose surname began with "O'".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

When most of these people grew up, the terrorist stereotype was guy from Belfast in a balaclava whose voice was dubbed in and whose surname began with "O'".

Obama!!! :argh:

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm a minority and I somewhat I agree with him about multiculturalism. From what I understand, the UK's version of multiculturalism is a whole different thing where they have like separate schools, standards, and neighborhoods meant for certain ethnicities. It's not like the US where it just means identity politics. A few years back David Cameron (the literal pig fucker) and Richard Dawkins said multiculturalism has failed so it's not some fringe opinion by Martin Freeman.

Umm, no. It’s not like that at all. Yes, there are certain cities that are associated with certain cultures, like Luton is seen as being somewhere with a lot of Asians because they make up about 20% of the population. But in general it’s pretty mixed. There are faith schools for Muslims, Christians etc, although the really insular crazy ones aren’t the norm and it’s more common to just go to whatever local school. Most cities are very diverse and they manage not to break out into huge race wars.

The UK is the perfect place for multiculturalism. We all ignore each other and avoid eye contact at all times.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought multiculturalism was the key factor for the Brexit nonsense.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think it boils down to one key factor.

You could argue immigration and you'd have a very good case, but I think national sovereignty is what it came down to more than that.

Of course, it's two sides of the same coin. There's not really any meaningful nuance between "There are too many immigrants coming in" and "The EU won't let us stop the immigrants coming in".

The thing is, if you look at the last referendum in 1975, the "out" side's leadership was split between Enoch Powell and Ian Paisley on one side and Michael Foot and Tony Benn on the other. This time, it was basically just the right-wingers and George Galloway.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 19:34 on May 1, 2018

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a lot of things. There was certainly anti-immigrant bias worked into it. Although a lot of areas who voted leave were really white spots. Like the kind of areas in the UK where you rarely see a non-white person.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It was about sovereignty, so of course local immigration/refugee policies played a part in it. What's interesting to see is that the youth split isn't so much because of refugees or whatever the current hot button topic is, but rather that they're against the concept of distinct countries as a whole

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Most big cities in the US have ethnic enclaves.

Yeah, I live in a medium/small city, and there's a white part of town, a black part of town, a literal Little Italy, and a Greek orthodox church. Hell, we had a festa in Little Italy on the same day as the Greek festival at the church. And there were certainly a lot of people at both.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm just gonna come out and say it. Martin Freeman isn't all that good of an actor.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

More like Fartin Freeman.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
I've always thought he looks kind of wet, amphibian even.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Fartin Peeman, and his popular character Dildo.

I'm sort of upset that I brought this Freeman ruination on myself, but I also am glad that it happened on the internet where I can learn instead of in person where I'd just have cried or something.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Not Operator posted:

I feel like with a lot of shows I watched when I was younger, like Quantum Leap, The X-Files or even later stuff like Battlestar Galactica, I have this idea that they're good because my head is only capable of remembering the dozen or so amazing bits from them, while filtering out untold hours of nonsense garbage.

I never watched more than a handful of X-Files episodes when they were originally airing. I binged the whole series in 2012. It really doesn't get good until Vince Gilligan starts showing up in the credits.

I binged almost all of the Sopranos, but turned it off after Tony killed Chris.

AvesPKS has a new favorite as of 23:22 on May 1, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AvesPKS posted:

I never watched more than a handful of X-Files episodes when they were originally airing. I binged the whole series in 2012. It really doesn't get good until Vince Gilligan starts showing up in the credits.

I binged almost all of the Sopranos, but turned it off after Tony killed Chris.

There's only like 4 more episodes or something.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

SEX BURRITO posted:

Umm, no. It’s not like that at all. Yes, there are certain cities that are associated with certain cultures, like Luton is seen as being somewhere with a lot of Asians because they make up about 20% of the population. But in general it’s pretty mixed.

This is something I think a lot of Americans tend to miss. Aside from a few individual neighbourhoods, Britain is split between areas which are completely White British and areas that are only mostly White British. The irony of it all is that the people from more mixed areas tend to be pretty happy with immigration and multiculturalism but these areas only make up a small portion of the country, and the rest of Britain absolutely hates everything to do with it

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Speaking of both Friends and multiculturalism, I just remembered this amazing video existed after watching the episode it's based on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCSh48OlvMo

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Gum posted:

This is something I think a lot of Americans tend to miss. Aside from a few individual neighbourhoods, Britain is split between areas which are completely White British and areas that are only mostly White British. The irony of it all is that the people from more mixed areas tend to be pretty happy with immigration and multiculturalism but these areas only make up a small portion of the country, and the rest of Britain absolutely hates everything to do with it

So exactly like the US then.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Just for the record, Elijah Wood is still cool, right?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

(Shakes head sadly)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ryonguy posted:

I love it when my Republican friends show me maps like this and I explain that more people live in the blue sections than the entirety of the red sections. It does illustrate why the electoral college is a good idea in theory, but not in practice though.

Volcott posted:

Just for the record, Elijah Wood is still cool, right?

He better be. It would break my heart to find out he's a serial killer or something.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I read somewhere that he insisted on personally murdering all those women during the filming of Maniac. It was an insurance nightmare, they investors wanted stuntment to do the murdering, but eventually he persevered.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In the beginning of filming the LOTR series he made some homophobic comments that made Sir Ian mckellen uncomfortable. He stopped pretty soon when they became good friends

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ryonguy posted:

Yeah, the UK isn't really as unique as it wants to pretend.

And you know, maybe Friends was crappy about gender and sexuality, but at least it had a lot of black characters!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUc0vbSlanM

In exclusively bit roles

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, the UK isn't really as unique as it wants to pretend.

As someone who's neither British nor American, that can apply equally to the US. Hell, it applies to lots of countries.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Elementary has a police detective character who is black, and his blackness does not completely define him, and neither is it completely ignored :monocle:.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

In the beginning of filming the LOTR series he made some homophobic comments that made Sir Ian mckellen uncomfortable. He stopped pretty soon when they became good friends

I’m going to cut an 18 year old a little slack on saying dumb poo poo especially if he cut it out later

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gum posted:

Yeah, that's just like America? Like, do you think every city and town in America has a perfect mix of all races and cultures? There are vast swaths of America that are almost entirely white.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Araenna posted:

Yeah, that's just like America? Like, do you think every city and town in America has a perfect mix of all races and cultures? There are vast swaths of America that are almost entirely white.

The southern United States has significant enclaves of rural minorities, something that is entirely absent in Britain. Still for much of the country you are correct.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Araenna posted:

Yeah, that's just like America? Like, do you think every city and town in America has a perfect mix of all races and cultures?

No but I was under the impression that there are a decent number of majority minority areas? In Britain the 'ethnic' areas are the ones that are only 60% White British

Gum has a new favorite as of 03:10 on May 2, 2018

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's only like 4 more episodes or something.

I think there's only one. But I will never finish it. It just took me so far out of the show that I can't. Even after what happened to Chrissy, Chris was still there for him. I know Chris hosed up and relapsed, but they're all gently caress ups. But anyway.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

AvesPKS posted:

It really doesn't get good until Vince Gilligan starts showing up in the credits.
The Darin Morgan episodes are pretty decent and the only good ones in the new seasons.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's kinda funny that Seinfeld took flak for not having black characters after the show barely got made because it was considered too "New York" (Jewish.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Patrick Stewart is considered a country bumpkin in england iirc.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How? I thought he was a big pimp in the Royal Shakespeare Company

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
He grew up poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i wouldn't say "most" British actors, like, your John Boyegas and Jason Stathams aren't really rich people (or at least weren't until they got big), but the ISO-standard stiff-upper-lip Stodgy British Man is usually going to be upper class

No, most British actors are poshos:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture...py_to_clipboard

There's certainly guys who don't fit that type, especially older men, but there's a hard class skew to acting.