Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Hard to ever get hard numbers, but Meltzer periodically mentions who is moving the most stuff. The last time I heard him mention it was slightly before WM, he said that Cena still sells the most merchandise even though he's rarely there. Roman and AJ were said to be tied at #2, but both significantly behind Cena. Glad to see how popular AJ is as the face running Smackdown Live even though he hasn't been pushed nearly as much as Reigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

coconono posted:

Have they ever covered how much merch Roman is moving? Most of Vince's failed projects tend to get waysided after the numbers come in.

4/16/18 Observer

quote:

Regarding merchandise sales, Cena is still far and away No. 1. Styles and Reigns right now duel for the No. 2 spot so Styles is probably making a ton of money right now. The New Day are also very strong performers in that regard and guys like Balor, Rollins and Strowman also do very well.

Tato posted:

Hard to ever get hard numbers, but Meltzer periodically mentions who is moving the most stuff. The last time I heard him mention it was slightly before WM, he said that Cena still sells the most merchandise even though he's rarely there. Roman and AJ were said to be tied at #2, but both significantly behind Cena. Glad to see how popular AJ is as the face running Smackdown Live even though he hasn't been pushed nearly as much as Reigns.

AJ Styles has held a world title in WWE for almost 300 more days than Reigns has over the past 2 years.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 2, 2018

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the jinderweight title

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

exploded mummy posted:

AJ Styles has held a world title in WWE for almost 300 more days than Reigns has over the past 2 years.

How many major shows has he main evented?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm just rooting for them to do whatever thing with Roman hurts their business most. Because between being in Trump's cabinet, naming an inspirational award after one of the most hateful, selfish human beings to ever exist, trying to name a woman's battle royal after a sex trafficker and sucking the oil out of the KSA's dick I just want this whole stupid company to collapse into a singularity.

(There is a degree of questionable behavior I am prepared to accept from a wrestling company, but they've gone to plaid)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm just rooting for them to do whatever thing with Roman hurts their business most. Because between being in Trump's cabinet, naming an inspirational award after one of the most hateful, selfish human beings to ever exist, trying to name a woman's battle royal after a sex trafficker and sucking the oil out of the KSA's dick I just want this whole stupid company to collapse into a singularity.

(There is a degree of questionable behavior I am prepared to accept from a wrestling company, but they've gone to plaid)

Is it sad I think Linda is the only competent person in the whole Trump administration?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SalTheBard posted:

Is it sad I think Linda is the only competent person in the whole Trump administration?

Yes, because you believe there's someone competent in the administration

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

SalTheBard posted:

i mean less sad and more stupid because she is anything but competent

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

Fun Fact: Since Roman's begun getting 'coronated', WWE's stock has almost quadrupled.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MotU posted:

i mean less sad and more stupid because she is anything but competent

I'll give Linda McMahon this: If you aren't a wrestling fan, you almost certainly have no idea who she is and have heard 0 about her

Given that every other Trump administration person is in the news every other day for sucking the blood from the homeless or accidentally telling the media that they masturbate to fantasies of killing Trump, that's pretty impressive

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

summerslam and wrestlemania are the only two major shows

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Yes, because you believe there's someone competent in the administration

The fact that I haven't heard about her at all lead me to believe she was doing something right.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

oatgan posted:

summerslam and wrestlemania are the only two major shows

Money in the Bank and Royal Rumble, dawg

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Fun Fact: Since Roman's begun getting 'coronated', WWE's stock has almost quadrupled.

This angers me greatly.
The stock part. Less so the Roman part.
But I guess if the value of your company keeps going up because of business moves, the actual quality of your product doesn't matter in the slightest.
Unless it's something that involves lawsuits and recalls, but WWE isn't that.
So there's no reason to 'not' push Roman, since they don't actually have to cater to their audience anymore apparently.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

This angers me greatly.
But I guess if the value of your company keeps going up because of business moves, the actual quality of your product doesn't matter in the slightest.
So there's no reason to 'not' push Roman, since they don't actually have to cater to their audience anymore apparently.

Their audience is paying more and more to attend shows, which is more of a sign of approval of WWE's product than any chants or boos will ever be.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its penny stock and given to fluctuations. I believe the latest price raise was because Vince sold off some shares for XFL cash and triggered a computerized bidding war. iffy on the computerized bit.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

This angers me greatly.

It's not even business moves for the most part it is the belief they will get a huge TV deal. Last time their deal came up this was the same belief, the stock got up to new records and then cratered when they got way less than hoped. We'll see if they actually get it this time.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Money in the Bank and Royal Rumble, dawg
2 of the last 3 MITBs were 1) a single brand ppv, and 2) a house show they rescheduled on very little notice into a network special in the middle of a 4 month run where they were doing network specials every two weeks

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Their audience is paying more and more to attend shows, which is more of a sign of approval of WWE's product than any chants or boos will ever be.

fewer people are paying more

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Raw and SmackDown attendance was down this year till Mania season. The amount of house shows they are running are covering for the down turn

Although the Binder led SmackDown shows were way down compared to the Roman ones

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

fewer people are paying more

So? The drop in attendance is lower than the increase in ticket prices, so WWE is making more money. It's a business.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Guys this bvc show could be classic impact levels of good. They have been bitching about them on twitter already.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So? The drop in attendance is lower than the increase in ticket prices, so WWE is making more money. It's a business.

I'm not going to argue I know better than WWE, since they're a billion+ dollar company and I'm sure as gently caress not, but a frequent concern noted about the company is that regular audience continues to get older and they don't seem to be able to retain new, younger viewers. Those tend to show up, watch for 2-3 years and then just stop watching entirely, being replaced by people 2-3 years younger who watch for 2-3 years and then also stop entirely.

There's legitimate concern about the long term viability of the company if it continues in its current state, especially given how undesirable wrestling audiences are already seen to be by advertisers. 20 years ago the current audience (only larger) was at least in a desirable age demographic even if advertisers still thought wrestling fans were poor, inbred yokels.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Live attendance matters but the big profit driver is TV and unless something major happens they are going to get an increase and if they go Fox maybe prime time. So even though the main roster product is still cold it doesn't matter at all

Of course if by some accident they don't get that TV money welp

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

algebra testes posted:

Guys this bvc show could be classic impact levels of good. They have been bitching about them on twitter already.

Oh poo poo is this the episode where they escape on the bus!?!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

They have to pay to go on Fox because it's a huge privilege. That's why they are saving up money from progressive countries

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

algebra testes posted:

its the Nitro where the inmates literally run the asylum and there's at least 2 or 3 no-contests, including one because of a runin during a hardcore match

since MITB 2016 (which Roman did not main event), AJ headlined MITB 2017, and had the last singles match in the 2017 Royal Rumble before the Rumble which went on last.

Roman main evented WM33 (though the push was more on Goldberg/Owens in the actual build) and 34 and was in a 4 way Summer Slam.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I'm not going to argue I know better than WWE, since they're a billion+ dollar company and I'm sure as gently caress not, but a frequent concern noted about the company is that regular audience continues to get older and they don't seem to be able to retain new, younger viewers. Those tend to show up, watch for 2-3 years and then just stop watching entirely, being replaced by people 2-3 years younger who watch for 2-3 years and then also stop entirely.

There's legitimate concern about the long term viability of the company if it continues in its current state, especially given how undesirable wrestling audiences are already seen to be by advertisers. 20 years ago the current audience (only larger) was at least in a desirable age demographic even if advertisers still thought wrestling fans were poor, inbred yokels.

The WWE controls costs and such that they probably won't implode WCW quick but if TV ratings ever drop drastically they will be in pretty huge trouble (which is why even though the appeal of prime time seems great I'm not sure switching to Fox would be the best idea since switching to TNN last time hit ratings). Plus at somepoint you have to think the constant pushing of Roman would do something to do the ratings

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

poo poo, I think he stopped just short of confirming he'll do it, but Bryan almost got convinced to do a review of Battlefield: Earth :vince:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I thought Nitro was pretty fun this week. :shrug:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Angry Bryan best Bryan

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

people are paying more

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

oatgan posted:

2 of the last 3 MITBs were 1) a single brand ppv, and 2) a house show they rescheduled on very little notice into a network special in the middle of a 4 month run where they were doing network specials every two weeks

only last year’s MITB was single-branded, and Elimination Chamber was the one flexed from a house show to a PPV with very little notice

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

ChrisBTY posted:

This angers me greatly.

It's one of those things where Romans push is happening at the same time as mass indie hires and huge hype for the future of the company so wwe and others can ignore the real draw and say Roman is the draw.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
This is a classic wrestling thing because it's loving impossible to get good data on who actually draws money so promoters and fans just buy into the mythologizing of the top guy being the draw

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Your Parents posted:

It's one of those things where Romans push is happening at the same time as mass indie hires and huge hype for the future of the company so wwe and others can ignore the real draw and say Roman is the draw.

See also: hulk hogan

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is it weird that Roman's "mega push" which is supposedly killing the business involves him not holding the title, main eventing very many shows and losing a lot of his matches

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Is it weird that Roman's "mega push" which is supposedly killing the business involves him not holding the title, main eventing very many shows and losing a lot of his matches

Part of the problem is Roman's push being phenomenally poorly executed, yeah

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You see, Daniel Bryan got over by losing, therefore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

See also: hulk hogan

Except not at all.