Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

fishmech posted:

Quake is pretty different between the PS1 and Saturn (and the N64)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAzn4pyHX2o

Cool vid, his Doom 64 review is solid as well. Such an amazingly creepy soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The link reminded me that not only did the PS1 get a Quake 2 port, but it actually looked pretty drat good and ran smoothly (for a PS1 port) as well.

I'd also argue that Quake II on the PS1 was better looking too. Simply because there's actual colour in the PS1 version whereas in the PC version everything is orange or brown.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'd also argue that Quake II on the PS1 was better looking too. Simply because there's actual colour in the PS1 version whereas in the PC version everything is orange or brown.

While this is true, I’m not sure it’s a good thing. It’s got the same point-lights-vomit-everywhere style that some of the cranky Steve maps featured. :shobon:

It does seem to run faster though, in that video. Enemy reactions, etc

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010
Killing Time on the 3D0 versus the PC port has some major differences. All the sprites on the 3D0 are much higher quality but the level design is much simpler and frankly, terrible.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
SSFF is a really good youtube channel and they do a ton of retro reviews and videos on obscure ports.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

BaconCopter posted:

Cool vid, his Doom 64 review is solid as well. Such an amazingly creepy soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoI57YXK2do

DANNY ONE, HEYYAA

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Played thourgh the Serious Sam game more. I didn't like TFE's last quarter as much, but Second Enounter was just really fun with a lot of soul and good levels. Also BFE isn't that bad really, though the levels get a hell of a lot longer in the second half.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Played thourgh the Serious Sam game more. I didn't like TFE's last quarter as much, but Second Enounter was just really fun with a lot of soul and good levels. Also BFE isn't that bad really, though the levels get a hell of a lot longer in the second half.

I'm playing through TFE right now for the first time, and I've found that I can only tolerate the game for a level or two at a time.

Got up to the Sewers before I called it quits for today.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Splinter Cell double agent takes the same basic storyline and created two radically different games. There's the NEWEST FANCY one for the 360 by Ubi Shanghai that got all the attention, but the primary developers also banged out an original xbox edition that is much more focused and better designed.

Plus, the original version kept the co-op mode that makes Splinter Cell a solidly entertaining series.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ularg posted:

SSFF is a really good youtube channel and they do a ton of retro reviews and videos on obscure ports.

One half of SSFF is Derek from Happy Video Game Nerd, if you remember those old videos.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Black Mesa is 60% off on Steam and is really cool.

Xen not done yet but who cares about a Half Life story being unfinished anyway

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Convex posted:

Black Mesa is 60% off on Steam and is really cool.

Xen not done yet but who cares about a Half Life story being unfinished anyway

They recently (yesterday? The day before?) released a 3+ GB patch with the engine changes to accommodate Xen, ostensibly to help iron out any bugs prior to releasing the Xen update. They're saying that there may be one more engine update patch, and then Xen should be good to go.

If that doesn't happen, I fully expect the developers to commit dishonorable seppuku like they promised they would if they were to miss the December 2017 deadline.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The assets for Xen are in the public build now including an untextured model for the Nihilanth and the animations/scripting/va for the ending scenes, so it's pretty much a certainty that it actually is for real coming soon this time.

edit:

Here he is, in case you were wondering what they made him look like.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Looks like Nihilanth got a dental plan

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
*ethereal rumbling* NEEDS BRACES.... NIHILANTH NEEDS... NEEDS BRACES...

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CJacobs posted:

*ethereal rumbling* NEEDS BRACES.... NIHILANTH NEEDS... NEEDS BRACES...

Holy poo poo. That makes perfect sense since the original Nihilanth was an allegory about the perils and fears of parenthood.

The Nihilanth is growing up. The Nihilanth now needs...a driver's license.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Nihilanth is actually a metaphor for loving HORRIBLE GAME DESIGN.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Are the Xen sections of Half Life still hated by everyone? Maybe I'm alone in this, but despite the jumping puzzles being kinda annoying, I really loved the atmosphere. They made an effort to make the alien world really feel alien.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I always liked the Xen area. It was an interesting way to cap off the game. The same goes for the ending section in System Shock 2 when you actually go into the body of The Many.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Xen was OK once you get past the initial jumping section but that initial jumping section is so bad it came to define the whole area.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I didn't really care for the crab monster with the huge ball sack.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

I didn't really care for the crab monster with the huge ball sack.

Yeah, I actually didn't mind the jumping sections and thought Xen and Interloper were great levels. Gonarch's Lair and Nihilanth were just tedious and aggravating as gently caress, though. I hope Black Mesa does something more interesting with them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I go back and forth on Xen. It is cool as an eleventh hour twist and the game definitely benefits from the change of atmosphere. They obviously wanted to put you Somewhere Different and that is accomplished. The look of Xen is well realized and it puts on some entertaining mechanical spins that don’t really change the substance of the gameplay but still hammer home the atmosphere — stuff like the healing pools instead of rechargers or all your ammo coming from HEV-suited explorers past. But the encounters don’t play to the strength of HL’s combat, most of what you’re up against is the godamn flying guys or enemies that punish you ruthlessly for not hiding like vorts and grunts. The boss fights are tepid and the ending is lame. HL2 whatever its own problems has a MUCH better climax.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, I actually didn't mind the jumping sections and thought Xen and Interloper were great levels. Gonarch's Lair and Nihilanth were just tedious and aggravating as gently caress, though. I hope Black Mesa does something more interesting with them.

The last update added these teleported sections of Black Mesa, looks pretty cool

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I didn't mind Xen for the most part. I only remember a couple times the jumping puzzles were annoying. It wasn't as solid as the rest, but I wouldn't say it's bad.

HolyKrap posted:

The last update added these teleported sections of Black Mesa, looks pretty cool

That's awesome. I really, really like that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I mostly enjoyed Xen. Of course, I initially played Half-Life right after it was released (long before the internet was an "every hour" kind of fixture of my household), so I didn't realize Xen's negative reputation until long after I had beaten the game for the first time.

It seemed to be a nice contrast to the (then novel) realistic, contiguous laboratories and government facilities that comprise the first 2/3rds of the game--the gargantuan glowing "bacteria" in the skybox and strange creatures swirling around floating islands, the healing pools and distant chirps and howls. I also liked how the remains of previous scientific expeditions--fighter jets and dead researchers--dotted the landscape, like little bits of familiarity anchoring an otherwise wholly alien environment. It was also cool how previously unseen flora and fauna, like the shy "light plants" and murderous pecking trunks, made the place feel somehow both lonely and rife with alien scum.

Mechanically, I'd agree with criticism that Xen didn't really play to the strengths of the game. But what Xen was ended up being enjoyable enough, nonetheless, for me to forgive it for that.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 2, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Holy poo poo. That makes perfect sense since the original Nihilanth was an allegory about the perils and fears of parenthood.

The Nihilanth is growing up. The Nihilanth now needs...a driver's license.

Really? Heh.

So the story is about how a man, Gordon Freeman, inserted his sample* in the chamber** and got a resonance cascade*** out of it, but the consequence is the arrival of unwanted aliens**** who completely destroyed the earth*****.

* penis
** vagina
*** orgasm
**** babies
***** quiet life with time to sleep and have fun

It's only natural then that the monsters you have to defeat include a walking ballsack and a flying fetus.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I mostly enjoyed Xen. Of course, I initially played Half-Life right after it was released (long before the internet was an "every hour" kind of fixture of my household), so I didn't realize Xen's negative reputation until long after I had beaten the game for the first time.

It seemed to be a nice contrast to the (then novel) realistic, contiguous laboratories and government facilities that comprise the first 2/3rds of the game--the gargantuan glowing "bacteria" in the skybox and strange creatures swirling around floating islands, the healing pools and distant chirps and howls. I also liked how the remains of previous scientific expeditions--fighter jets and dead researchers--dotted the landscape, like little bits of familiarity anchoring an otherwise wholly alien environment. It was also cool how previously unseen flora and fauna, like the shy "light plants" and murderous pecking trunks, made the place feel somehow both lonely and rife with alien scum.

Mechanically, I'd agree with criticism that Xen didn't really play to the strengths of the game. But what Xen was ended up being enjoyable enough, nonetheless, for me to forgive it for that.

This is pretty much exactly my thoughts as well. Although, I'm pretty sure the only signs of other humans on Xen while you're actually playing are just dead dudes in HEV suits. The destroyed fighter jets and tanks are only seen during the Gmans ending monologue.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Really? Heh.

So the story is about how a man, Gordon Freeman, inserted his sample* in the chamber** and got a resonance cascade*** out of it, but the consequence is the arrival of unwanted aliens**** who completely destroyed the earth*****.

* penis
** vagina
*** orgasm
**** babies
***** quiet life with time to sleep and have fun

It's only natural then that the monsters you have to defeat include a walking ballsack and a flying fetus.

It also explains why, after Gordon inserted his sample into the cosmic maw, the other scientists literally got blown away by it. Because they're loving dweebs and had previously never witnessed such a thing in person--only in theories on whiteboards. And to put it in the words of one scientist shortly after the resonance cascade, "I...I can't hold on much...longer..."

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I don't love zen but it was fine. If nothing else it was a change of pace from endless gray corridors.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I liked zen but I also like jumping puzzles.

Also, calling any required jumping in an FPS a jumping puzzle is a little disingenuous. Kreedz Climbing has jumping puzzles. Zen just has jumping.

If Black Mesa zen doesn't have at least some optional jumping I'm going to cry, because the era of the bouncy shooty boys will have truly ended.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

All my posts have been nitpicking old school design lately (gently caress you, target shooting gallery puzzle in Duke 3d) so let me offer some praise.

I knocked down Duke 3D the other day and immediately played the Total Meltdown TC. Warning: those are not good levels.

However!

I'm skipping the Duke expansions for now and jumped over to Shadow Warrior.

Holy flippin' balls is the grenade launcher amazing.

Part of the fun of these titles is learning how to use each weapon. To be frank there's still some I'm unsure if they even serve a purpose at all (why use the freezethrower when I have the shrinker?), but when you learn a weapon's purpose something just CLICKS.

And there's absolutely nothing more fun than entering a room in shadow warrior, immediately stepping back, and firing off a warning shot or three from the launcher. The way it bounces is also wonderfully exaggerated, making me feel like a badass when I angle a shot just so. And there's just enough time that when I gently caress up a shot and the grenade bounces back that I can do some superman leap across the room and only take a tiny amount of damage.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

All my posts have been nitpicking old school design lately (gently caress you, target shooting gallery puzzle in Duke 3d) so let me offer some praise.

I knocked down Duke 3D the other day and immediately played the Total Meltdown TC. Warning: those are not good levels.

However!

I'm skipping the Duke expansions for now and jumped over to Shadow Warrior.

Holy flippin' balls is the grenade launcher amazing.

Part of the fun of these titles is learning how to use each weapon. To be frank there's still some I'm unsure if they even serve a purpose at all (why use the freezethrower when I have the shrinker?), but when you learn a weapon's purpose something just CLICKS.

And there's absolutely nothing more fun than entering a room in shadow warrior, immediately stepping back, and firing off a warning shot or three from the launcher. The way it bounces is also wonderfully exaggerated, making me feel like a badass when I angle a shot just so. And there's just enough time that when I gently caress up a shot and the grenade bounces back that I can do some superman leap across the room and only take a tiny amount of damage.

I feel like Shadow Warrior had a pretty distinct arsenal. For starters, it seemed odd to begin with not one but two melee weapons (the sword and your fists of fury); then you've got throwing stars to round things out. The Uzi--your typical automatic FPS weapon--gets mixed up with an akimbo mode that lets you chew through 200 rounds fast as gently caress--seriously, it makes Doom's chaingun, Duke's ripper, even Quake's nailgun, look positively geriatric by comparison. The shotgun has a short automatic mode for some reason, and the grenade launcher (as you previously mentioned) is wicked as hell. Sticky bombs combine the best aspects of Duke 3D's pipe bombs and trip mines. Then you've got the rocket launcher, which has not one, not two, but three fire modes including a frankly absurd nuclear option that makes the BFG-9000 look like a wet fart.

And that's to say nothing of the railgun's piercing capability (something that still wasn't commonly explored in FPS games up to 1997), the ripper heart being able to summon an aggressive clone (about a hundred times better than Duke's worthless goddamned hologram), and the multi-mode Guardian Head (which also included a Rise-of-the-Triad-esque firebomb setting).

Then you've got tear gas grenades and caltrops! Absurd!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

HolyKrap posted:

It's been absolutely forever since I've played HL1, and I barely remember Xen... What do these represent?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's been absolutely forever since I've played HL1, and I barely remember Xen... What do these represent?

Half-Life is about a failed experiment with teleportation technology. Parts of their world came into our world, and that's supposed to represent parts of our world that teleported into theirs. Just a little bit of fan fluff to flesh out the concept a bit

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The jumping in Xen felt like second nature to me after playing through Ziggurat Vertigo a million times in Quake :v:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 2, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Half-Life is about a failed experiment with teleportation technology. Parts of their world came into our world, and that's supposed to represent parts of our world that teleported into theirs. Just a little bit of fan fluff to flesh out the concept a bit

Gotcha. I knew about the Xen parts in our world, but didn't recall seeing the inverse in Xen.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Anyone remember a game called Dreamkiller? Used to be on Steam, but I guess it feel into the ether forever. I want to see how much this dumpster fire will burn.

Pope Guilty posted:

One half of SSFF is Derek from Happy Video Game Nerd, if you remember those old videos.

Yeah, I don't think he wants to repeat those. Pretty sure he didn't delete those for posterity and archival purposes.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Once upon a time, the Black Mesa research facility discovered the borderworld known as Xen, a plane of existence connected between dimensions, and would regularly travel there for research purposes. Nihilanth, being the only survivor of his species after the combine attacked their world, fled to Xen and held the portals open after the resonance cascade as a last ditch effort to save himself and his minions. I'm guessing those teleported models are just the Black Mesa team wanting to show a little more detail in what the Nihilanth can do, or maybe it's just Shephard having fun with his displacer gun.
Upon defeating the Nihilanth, he breaks the fourth wall by telling Gordon that he'll never know the truth, foreseeing that Valve would never make Half-Life 3

I always liked the huge change in atmosphere when you got to Xen. Probably made HL1 the most memorable game of my childhood, those skyboxes are so unique

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gotcha. I knew about the Xen parts in our world, but didn't recall seeing the inverse in Xen.

It's a new thing for Black Mesa Source