Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Metaline posted:

I rent a 150-year-old log cabin every year and the owners encourage use of the fireplace but are real persnickety about lighting candles anywhere lest the building burns down. And then also have a gas oven? I bring scented candles and just keep an eye on them. The firepit outside is on a huge rock that’s over twenty feet across so there are no warnings about that. Fire is good if you’re not an idiot.

Fireplaces are built to have fire. So are gas ovens and firepits. Random countertops and tables are not. I don't really get how this could be confusing? You may very well keep an eye on your candles, and so do most people most of the time, but having a burning candle creates the possibility that you'll forget about it, or "just step out for one second" and end up being gone half an hour, or whatever. The odds of a fire-starting accident are a lot higher when you have an uncontained fire than when you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Y'all I used to burn ad hoc candle mass in a mug and throw lighters into it, in my bedroom, and nothing bad happened, except that black mark on the ceiling that one time.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the level of candlefear in here honestly is cracking me the gently caress up.

yeah dont decorate your christmas tree with em or put em under drapes or something, but realistically a few candles around when you want to set the mood or whatever is not going to to start a towering inferno unless you are so incredibly dipshitted that you shouldnt be allowed to operate a car or a power tool. holy poo poo.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
As a recovering pyromaniac, every time my boyfriend leaves candles around the house I panic a little. Mostly because he doesn't have the good sense not to light them right next to something flammable (HONEY, LIT CANDLES DO NOT LIVE CLOSE ENOUGH TO THE PAPER TOWELS TO MAKE OUT WITH THEM) or underneath something flammable (HONEY, HEAT RISES, DON'T PUT CANDLES UNDER THE CABINETS).

The one time he left a jar candle burning and then left the house, I threatened to break up with him. At least that hasn't happened since. But he still gets all, "but whyyyyy?" when I grab the candle from him, light it, set it somewhere relatively safe where I can see it, and set a timer to remind me to blow it out.

He also keeps putting my loving ice forged zantoku in the loving dishwasher. I may have to kill him with it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If it started with me I was complaining mainly about the soot. But also people are dumb as poo poo and will burn their houses down.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

He also keeps putting my loving ice forged zantoku in the loving dishwasher. I may have to kill him with it.

alright thats some loving :sever: poo poo right there.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

sneakyfrog posted:

alright thats some loving :sever: poo poo right there.

Believe me, it's coming very close to being a deal breaker.

That knife is worth more than my car.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i dont even have any knives remotely that nice but all my chefs knives are like reasonably nice, i would be livid to open up the dishwasher and find one. (sigh)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Pretty sure sneakyfrog just has an agenda to get goons to burn their houses down

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Try finding your wife heated one of the knives on the gas hob to poke/burn a hole in something. It's completely lost its knife-like abilities. We had a talk. Now she knows to use the crappy soldering iron or a cheap metal skewer.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Y'all I used to burn ad hoc candle mass in a mug and throw lighters into it, in my bedroom, and nothing bad happened, except that black mark on the ceiling that one time.
To be fair though, we're not going to get many posts from the goons that did set fire to their rooms and died in the ensuing candle inferno, are we?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got REALLY fussy with my wife when she would light a big wooden match, use it to light some candles, then throw it in the trash after blowing it out. A still smoking recently blown out burnt match... just tossed into the garbage. She now knows to at least give it a quick blast of water from the sink.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Pretty sure sneakyfrog just has an agenda to get goons to burn their houses down

:frog: fire is nice, and romantic woo time is better with fire than some ambient led bulb or internet of poo poo tomfoolery :shrug:

cakesmith handyman posted:

Try finding your wife heated one of the knives on the gas hob to poke/burn a hole in something. It's completely lost its knife-like abilities. We had a talk. Now she knows to use the crappy soldering iron or a cheap metal skewer.

:mad:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ashcans posted:

To be fair though, we're not going to get many posts from the goons that did set fire to their rooms and died in the ensuing candle inferno, are we?

Sure we do, just look for the ones with the high ghost count.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Jaded Burnout posted:

dad is that you?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Now I know how my mom felt when I used her sewing shears to cut cheap craft paper.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Jaded Burnout posted:

:golfclap:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

She's going to gently caress up your good soldering iron.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Joke's on you all of my soldering irons are bad soldering irons (Yi Hua Represent!)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hide it under a bushel? No! I'm gonna let it shine!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
What if instead of candles you just have a million hurricane lamps?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Fireplaces are built to have fire. So are gas ovens and firepits. Random countertops and tables are not. I don't really get how this could be confusing? You may very well keep an eye on your candles, and so do most people most of the time, but having a burning candle creates the possibility that you'll forget about it, or "just step out for one second" and end up being gone half an hour, or whatever. The odds of a fire-starting accident are a lot higher when you have an uncontained fire than when you don't.
Thanks for opening my eyes! I'm never going to mass again! Maybe Buddhism is a safer bet. What are the dangers of incense burning?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Everyone thinks you smoke weed.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

If it started with me I was complaining mainly about the soot. But also people are dumb as poo poo and will burn their houses down.
And this is why apartments tend to have lovely electric stoves instead of gas ones(well, that and cutting costs by not having to run a gas line :v:). I'm pretty sure mine has a 'no candles' policy too, although it's obviously never getting enforced unless you're an idiot and something outside the candle gets burned.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I find the fact that a table - a piece of furniture on which candles and other fire-based illumination devices have been used daily for literally thousands of years - is considered by some kid in 2018 to be completely unsuitable for that very task rather amusing.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
This is the weirdest freak out this thread has ever had. Is it a US thing? I don’t get it.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Jerry Cotton posted:

I find the fact that a table - a piece of furniture on which candles and other fire-based illumination devices have been used daily for literally thousands of years - is considered by some kid in 2018 to be completely unsuitable for that very task rather amusing.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

And it's crazy how modern materials burn, despite all their "flame retardant" properties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNPhq5ggoE

tl;dw: Old poo poo catches fire more easily, but takes a lot longer to burn. Modern stuff may take a bit to catch, but burns way more quickly and will kill the gently caress out of you.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
FIRE BAD

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I am so sorry for noticing the flame close to the TV. :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Sneaky.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah OK I've never had a table made out of anything except wood I don't know if wood counts as a modern material. Synthetic fabric tablecloths would definitely be an issue though if I had any - I'm sure most people do. The trick is to have all your tablecloths be family heirlooms so they're made of wool or cotton or asbestos or something and won't kill you.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Just about any new table that isn't from an antique or from a multi-thousand-dollar-minimum store, and nearly any mass-produced table, is some form of MDF or honeycomb-cardboard core mixed with glues and thin veneers. I think the issue is that, while the materials themselves conform to fire safety standards, the construction of said materials may not.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Guys, i've heard about this new poo poo. It's like dirt sand, but they use some kind of loving mAGIK to make it solid. I think the magic is hot, but like, super hot, not like candle hot (theres a DIFFERENCE?!?) anyway you can put like, little fire on it and it wont melt or catch fire or anything. FUKKIN CRAZY I KNOW i'm gonna try it out. Trip report incoming. May god keep my precious oh so flammable domicile made of literal faggots from erupting into a blazing inferno.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

And this is why apartments tend to have lovely electric stoves instead of gas ones(well, that and cutting costs by not having to run a gas line :v:). I'm pretty sure mine has a 'no candles' policy too, although it's obviously never getting enforced unless you're an idiot and something outside the candle gets burned.

At an old apartment I used to live in, a pilot light went out on someone's stove, which prompted a 911 call for a smell of gas. This ended up triggering 3-4 fire trucks and 7-8 police cars to show up.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Lol where do you guys buy furniture? My local thrift store definitely has actually wood tables for less than a hundred bucks.

If you are afraid of candles please seek help.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Just get some old-timey lantern style candle holders.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t like your Führerbunker with Tiki® Torches fueled with liquified coal.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Enourmo posted:

This reminds me of a thought I've been bouncing around, are there any systems that (intentionally, and with good engineering principles) dump waste A/C heat into a water heater tank? You've got a large thermal mass that you want to heat up, and large quantities of heat that need to be dissipated; seems like a perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, and reduce your overall power bill. Maybe still have a condenser unit to dump heat outside when the water gets saturated, but is this a thing at all?

In a residential application this doesn't really work as well as it sounds like on paper, because the units are smaller and run somewhat infrequently. I mean, even in FL you'd be hard pressed to find a unit running continuously for more than about 15-20 mins or so. There actually are some products that do what you say, but they require custom piping as well, since you have to add a line from the compressor discharge to the exhanger and back to the condenser inlet. I've never really seen one in action so I can't speak to how well they work.

However, you do see this application in commercial stuff. Most supermarkets get all their hot water from thermal recovery tanks that are heated from the hot gas from the rack rooms. You just have the discharge line piped into a heat exchanger in a big water tank and instant free water! Most of the places that use these never need to run their water heaters either, since the rack runs continuously.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Alereon posted:

They make heat pump hot water heaters, which basically have their own integrated air conditioner that works as you described. Some of these models can be ducted into your HVAC system, which would allow your AC to run less. Heat pump water heaters started off kind of meh (efficiency not as good as promised, slow heating) but are a lot better these days.

I think my apartment has one of these. Whatever it is it sucks, everytime the ac start it blows hot air for a few minutes before cooling off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Most heat pumps have reversing valves, that switch the way the refrigerant goes depending on whether or not it's heating or cooling. In a place like Phoenix, you'd expect the "default" to be set to "cool," but that's not always the case. Or, lovely thermostats and/or lovely HVAC installers or homeowners or landlords set the thermostats up incorrectly, and they revert every time. Or the ducting is in a place that lets it get hot, and the system is set up incorrectly or poorly or by someone from a cold state and instead of venting that hot attic air it instead blasts you with it before it cycles some air in to cool.

Basically there's a lot of ways to gently caress up a heat pump installation.