Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Inzombiac posted:

To this day I don't understant why people liked Fruitopia.

It was like drinking pure syrup.
Wasn’t it marketed as a new age zen drink for the Lilith Faire set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No? It was for kids. They sold it at the vending machines at my middle school.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

doctorfrog posted:

Wasn’t it marketed as a new age zen drink for the Lilith Faire set?

No but it was marketed as a healthy alternative to soda.

Which it wasnt, of course.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

To this day I don't understant why people liked Fruitopia.

It was like drinking pure syrup.

Because I had so many buy one get one free caps

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On the topic of food: The Stuffed Crust Pizza.

Also, the Pizza Hut Bigfoot Pizza.

I seem to recall from around the time of the Bigfoot pizza that someone said a few food places were starting to push back against the 'healthier' direction of diets from just a few years before, citing the Bigfoot as an example of such a move into openly promoting mass quantities of food over just the quality/ingredients/etc..

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Inzombiac posted:

No but it was marketed as a healthy alternative to soda.

Which it wasnt, of course.

Ah. Maybe that was the impression I got by the tagline "for the mind, body, and planet." Guess that sounds like a health drink, but I always had the impression it was meant to convey some sort of oneness with the universe. Now, we have Vitamin Water, which only has 31 grams of sugar per bottle, and is dressed to look like prescription medicine.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

doctorfrog posted:

Ah. Maybe that was the impression I got by the tagline "for the mind, body, and planet." Guess that sounds like a health drink, but I always had the impression it was meant to convey some sort of oneness with the universe. Now, we have Vitamin Water, which only has 31 grams of sugar per bottle, and is dressed to look like prescription medicine.

Only 31 grams. More than some soda, haha.
Didn't the CEO make a statement like, "There is no reason any consumer would reasonably expect Vitamin Water to be healthy"?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

eminkey2003 posted:

That is a legit awesome ad.

Everything in the 90s was shot at sunset:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_hour_(photography)

JediTalentAgent posted:

A friend and I managed to eat an entire Pizza Hut stuffed crust large (only came in large or bigger) on our high school lunch hour. We were late getting back to school.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Rain was dope, it was pretty refreshing, at least as far as sugar water goes. The rest were just as cloyingly sweet as everything else though.
100% agreed. I still opt for agave nectar as a sweetener when possible.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

JediTalentAgent posted:

Also, the Pizza Hut Bigfoot Pizza.

I seem to recall from around the time of the Bigfoot pizza that someone said a few food places were starting to push back against the 'healthier' direction of diets from just a few years before, citing the Bigfoot as an example of such a move into openly promoting mass quantities of food over just the quality/ingredients/etc..

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

JediTalentAgent posted:

Does American Pizza Hut not do stuffed crust anymore? I've seen plenty of places in a few countries that have stuffed crust or some equivalent of it

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Does American Pizza Hut not do stuffed crust anymore? I've seen plenty of places in a few countries that have stuffed crust or some equivalent of it

They still do.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

ryonguy posted:

A friend and I managed to eat an entire Pizza Hut stuffed crust large (only came in large or bigger) on our high school lunch hour. We were late getting back to school.

How long was it until the next time you poo poo?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

We do but it's not as widespread as you may think.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I've never seen a pizza hut that didn't have stuffed crust since they started selling it.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I legit miss rain every time I go to a drink store. Drank the poo poo out of it in college.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Googling Snapple Rain brings me to Bevnet. I remember the early 2000s as a kid when I read that site a lot, learning about all the weird international and regional drinks I'd never heard of before. The only review for Rain on that site is from 1999.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

dialhforhero posted:

I legit miss rain every time I go to a drink store. Drank the poo poo out of it in college.

I miss Orbitz but I'm pressure I'm the only one.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

I miss Orbitz but I'm pressure I'm the only one.

That sounds like a line Oasis would sing.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Stuffed crust is like the Beanie Babies of Pizza: It's still around, but the height of popularity was the 90s.

edit: I think the wiki said someone claimed a patent on it from the 80s though and tried to sue Pizza Hut over it, but Pizza Hut won the case.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

JediTalentAgent posted:

Stuffed crust is like the Beanie Babies of Pizza: It's still around, but the height of popularity was the 90s.

edit: I think the wiki said someone claimed a patent on it from the 80s though and tried to sue Pizza Hut over it, but Pizza Hut won the case.

In a way I hope that patent actually existed just because of how loving stupid it is.

"Put cheese in the food" is not something one should be able to even try to patent.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In a way I hope that patent actually existed just because of how loving stupid it is.

"Put cheese in the food" is not something one should be able to even try to patent.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4661361#v=onepage&q=stuff&f=false

edit:
Oh for crying out loud...
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6753025B1/en

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 06:29 on May 3, 2018

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Snapple Rain was delicious. Reminds me of another drink I loved that went away. Clearly Canadian.

I remember it being sweet and fizzy but not super syrupy like most soda. The same company made Orbitz too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Snapple Rain was delicious. Reminds me of another drink I loved that went away. Clearly Canadian.

I remember it being sweet and fizzy but not super syrupy like most soda. The same company made Orbitz too.

Clearly Canadian is back on sale in parts of the US, just FYI.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I saw that when I was looking for a photo. Not in my part of the US it seems :(

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I hadn't thought of this in such a long time, I loved the hell out of the blackberry one.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is good to hear, but sadly I fear it won't live up to my nostalgia. Not sure if I should buy some or not.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Doesn't that mean that it's a fake if it's not being produced/sold in Canada too? :v:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I have no idea what it tasted like, but I always loved how OK Soda looked

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The graphic design, the clothes, etc etc

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Randaconda posted:

It was OK.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:golfclap:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

I would murder 23 people in cold blood for OK Soda to return

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I would murder 23 people in cold blood for OK Soda to return

That's too bad, because I asked them and you'd need to kill 24 for it to happen. :/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That's too bad, because I asked them and you'd need to kill 24 for it to happen. :/

I think I can make that happen

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think it really did just taste okay. Like it wasn't that great of a soda and tried to rely on its irreverent "anti-marketing" to get attention.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Mistic was better

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Pastry of the Year posted:

The graphic design, the clothes, etc etc

It looks more like a post-apocalypse movie with the perpetual smog and dim lighting. "Hey the world is going to poo poo but at least we'll die pretty!"

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

It looks more like a post-apocalypse movie with the perpetual smog and dim lighting. "Hey the world is going to poo poo but at least we'll die pretty!"

Fester, fester, fester; rot, rot, rot.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Randaconda posted:

It tasted kinda like when you were at a soda fountain and mixed all the flavors together. It wasn't bad. My Highschool had it in vending machines. I got a hat in a can once with some change to get another soda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I'm drinking this right now :smug: If you've got a World Market store near you, they have it. I think outside of the US a couple other companies do too.