Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

chitoryu12 posted:

I think we’ve hit the final form of this meme.

Insert mind expansion meme set 2 years from now referencing this as small brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

I mean he's kinda right though isn't he? I mean the MCU has like 24 films either released or planned, and Avatar has one film with four planned?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I am getting this framed.

God.
drat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pararoid posted:

I mean he's kinda right though isn't he? I mean the MCU has like 24 films either released or planned, and Avatar has one film with four planned?

He's phrasing it like it should be a wide breadth of individual movies taking center-stage, while at the same time trying to push his own multi-movie franchise as the next Big Thing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pararoid posted:

There's tons of sci-fi movies coming out every year. He's the loving producer on Alita, which comes out this summer. It's an asinine complaint for anybody to make. But coming from James Cameron he's just saying "I want the currently mega popular blockbuster sci-fi series to fail so my blockbuster sci-fi series can take it's place"

Which it won't do by it's own merits because in the past five years not a single person on earth has remembered Avatar

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's tons of sci-fi movies coming out every year. He's the loving producer on Alita, which comes out this summer. It's an asinine complaint for anybody to make. But coming from James Cameron he's just saying "I want the currently mega popular blockbuster sci-fi series to fail so my blockbuster sci-fi series can take it's place"

Which it won't do by it's own merits because in the past five years not a single person on earth has remembered Avatar

Fire nation rules!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

I do not have high hopes for Battle Angel Alita, seeing as he somehow looked at the manga art and thought "hmm, yes, this means the actress needs a CGI facial overlay with comically-oversized eyes".

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Avatar Project continues to make great strides forward and I continue to be inept at preventing it's forward march. :negative:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I do not have high hopes for Battle Angel Alita, seeing as he somehow looked at the manga art and thought "hmm, yes, this means the actress needs a CGI facial overlay with comically-oversized eyes".
I really liked the manga and the images of the movie I've seen so far look really bad. The eyes are so creepy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The trailer makes it look like it's following the first bit of the manga pretty closely, so that gives me hope. At least it's not gonna be like Ghost in the Shell where they just crudely recreated some images from the original and slapped them on a stock Hollywood amnesia plot.

OK, yeah, they have the advantage that Alita starts with a stock amnesia plot, but still!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

When James Cameron said "there are other scifi stories" he doesn't mean they must all come from him. His contact list alone probably has a dozen people who made their own scifi movies without his input.

Besides, I think a guy who made a handful of movies over 40 years have more right to talk about this than a company who boasts that they made almost 20 movies in the same series within a decade.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

The trailer makes it look like it's following the first bit of the manga pretty closely, so that gives me hope. At least it's not gonna be like Ghost in the Shell where they just crudely recreated some images from the original and slapped them on a stock Hollywood amnesia plot.

OK, yeah, they have the advantage that Alita starts with a stock amnesia plot, but still!

Ghost in the Shell is a fascinating trainwreck in its own right, because there's clearly a lot of love and effort put into planning it. Parts of it are drawn from across all of the franchise, (Kouse's from the second season of the TV series), and they even managed incidental details down to Togusa having a Mateba revolver even though his film screentime as anything other than a background character is almost nil. Every visual aspect of it is gorgeous, yet the plot is complete and utter garbage. Nevermind bending over backward with Scarlett Johansson as Motoko Kusanagi Mira Killian, when they had several main characters portrayed by Japanese actors. Speaking Japanese with subtitles.

Yes I know about the ending, it's still unnecessarily stupid as hell.

The MSJ posted:

When James Cameron said "there are other scifi stories" he doesn't mean they must all come from him. His contact list alone probably has a dozen people who made their own scifi movies without his input.

Besides, I think a guy who made a handful of movies over 40 years have more right to talk about this than a company who boasts that they made almost 20 movies in the same series within a decade.

If he could've released an Avatar film annually between the original one and now, he'd still make the same argument just because the MCU would almost certainly outperform them at the box office.

Neddy Seagoon has a new favorite as of 04:10 on May 2, 2018

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If he could've released an Avatar film annually between the original one and now, he'd still make the same argument just because the MCU would almost certainly outperform them at the box office.

But he didn't and Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time, so I'm not quite sure how you'd justify that assumption.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

And then Camp Minnie/Mickey at Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom was shut down, and remodeled into Avatar, and re-opened with the crappy Na'vi River Journey and the awesome Flight Of Passage.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97W0UHgCeSk

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Man who makes different movies says hes do things differently. NEWS AT 11

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

And then Camp Minnie/Mickey at Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom was shut down, and remodeled into Avatar, and re-opened with the crappy Na'vi River Journey and the awesome Flight Of Passage.

I'm not a fan of Avatar, but that area is pretty cool if I just think of it as stylized alien world instead of Avatar-land. Kinda wish they just went with that instead and didn't feel the need to shoehorn in the movie stuff, but they've been pretty focused on making everything new have some sort of movie connection lately. It makes sense, but it's a little sad that we're unlikely to get cool original stuff going forward.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pararoid posted:

But he didn't and Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time, so I'm not quite sure how you'd justify that assumption.

because Avatar was mainly the 3D gimmick. Everybody was amazed by the new 3D technology, but only for like six months.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He could, but James Cameron making movies annually is something that is unheard of. It's just not his style.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Looks like the Envaliant III from Shrovis-Bishopthorpe finally has a competitor.

Same goes for Brother's laptop

The alt text about it printing on thermal register rolls is probably my favorite joke in all of Achewood.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

also avatar was bad and james cameron is bad now

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Elysiume posted:

I really liked the manga and the images of the movie I've seen so far look really bad. The eyes are so creepy.

I had no idea what this was about, so I made the mistake of googling it.

Guy Goodbody posted:

because Avatar was mainly the 3D gimmick. Everybody was amazed by the new 3D technology, but only for like six months.

Yeah, the plot was white saviour trash.

Pretty as anything, no one's going to try to argue that. But utter trash.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hmm, where have I seen this bullshit recently

:barf:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gorilla Salad posted:

It should be noted that the rest of the cast are just regular non-CGI actors. And the actress they overlaid that little nightmare over was a pretty solid likeness for Alita to start with.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Dances With Wolves in Space wasn't a bad film but the people who kept banging on about it being the cinematic equivalent of the Messiah were idiots.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
The man who made Aliens and Terminator 2 has a lifetime pass against being considered "bad"

His upcoming Avatar sequels will probably make a killing, because making money is what Cameron does

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Cameron is also the guy who thought Ferngully would be better without a Tim Curry musical number.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

He could, but James Cameron making movies annually is something that is unheard of. It's just not his style.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Somehow it's worse than I remembered. Her eyes are big in the manga, but they're normal big. Like you look at a person and think "huh, she's got big eyes," not "holy crap what the gently caress her eyes are the size of lemons."

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Elysiume posted:

Somehow it's worse than I remembered. Her eyes are big in the manga, but they're normal big. Like you look at a person and think "huh, she's got big eyes," not "holy crap what the gently caress her eyes are the size of lemons."

hi this is jim cameron, genius filmmaker, speaking to whoever i hired to direct this movie i forget who it is, i just saw the dailies and i gotta say these eyes arent big enough. i want em 50% larger by friday

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Can't wait to see what you guys are gonna think of the new Terminator movie being exec produced by Cameron and directed by Deadpool's Tim Miller.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

how big are kyle reese's eyes?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Elysiume posted:

You've been watching too much anime.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The MSJ posted:

You've been watching too much anime.
I mean they're big relative to other characters, not freakishly large relative to other characters like they'd need to be in order to merit the nightmarish mess that is the live action CGI version.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

itd be like if you made a biopic about the bangles and everyone else looked normal but the bangles were walking like an egyptian in every scene

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

punchymcpunch posted:

how big are kyle reese's eyes?

Big enough to peep dem Connor tiddies.

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017
The Middelheim museum in Antwerp is building a new art piece in plasticine called 'Arc de Triomphe'. The museum orgenizes guided tours for schools almost every day. I guess the children are in for a 'big' surprise when they look up.
I'm wondering how long it will take before someone cuts it off and brings it home as a souvenir.

:nws:
https://i.imgur.com/cukVugb.png
https://i.imgur.com/k5sLGYM.png

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

antwerp's in europe so they probably see erect penises on the news every day

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

MrOzzy posted:

The Middelheim museum in Antwerp is building a new art piece in plasticine called 'Arc de Triomphe'. The museum orgenizes guided tours for schools almost every day. I guess the children are in for a 'big' surprise when they look up.
I'm wondering how long it will take before someone cuts it off and brings it home as a souvenir.

https://i.imgur.com/cukVugb.png
https://i.imgur.com/k5sLGYM.png

A statue with a penis? How degenerate Europe has become :bahgawd:

They should put a nice, christian, Christmas tree in its place

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 08:06 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Who What Now posted:

Only in a very pedantic sense, but there are stories I've heard of Catholic hospitals refusing to perform c-sections for that reason.

Sorry for dragging this back up but that sounds awful. Do you have some links to that?

Protip: go to a hospital that does a lot of C-sections. Childbirth can go bad fast with no indication and you could find yourself suddenly needing a C-section to save your life and/or your child's life. You'll want the A team for that.