Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

clone on the phone posted:

Can you delete power lines once they've been built? I can't seem to figure it out.

Use the salvage option under infrastructure, I think, It'll handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

RagnarokZ posted:

Use the salvage option under infrastructure, I think, It'll handle it.

That's exactly what you use. It can be a bit clumsy, you might need to remake some, but still better than clicking every slot and wires are quick to rebuild (since they're automatically highest priority).

Meanwhile, I'd say between-dome tunnels are loving amazing. If anything they kinda take a good chunk of challenge out of the game once you get started, but it's also pretty fun. My current game (second one since the update since first one went under) was with Hydrologist/Blue Sun start with Hunger (no importing food) and Chaos Theory (fully randomized tech tree) as my rule modifiers. I under-estimated how far tunnels could stretch so my first four small domes were rather close together but I made a relatively solid city. Solid enough that this is what my evaluation looked like:

That's when poo poo started going crazy as I moved into medium domes which were so much easier to set up. I was about 150 or so pop at that point, and regularly importing more people for a while, and I got my mystery (Wildfire). My population is slowly slipping from my hands but I don't realize it as my domes are happy, I'm still importing settlers until the Wildfire event turns those off, and I have plenty of space in the 3 medium domes I made and added to my Mars City. Plenty of space to add houses, amenities, etc. I got Stem Cells as one of my first breakthroughs which means my colonists live longer with also a shorter Senior Retirement period, which means I really don't have workforce issues. Little do I know this means they also have a longer life to gently caress and have children.

Around the time I reach the point I can grow the Wildfire cure in Curetatos I finally figure out how badly I have hosed up by making my domes too pleasant to NOT gently caress in. I'm at about 300 population and I feel I have a decent enough food stockpile I start slipping Curetatos into my crop rotations. Oh boy am I wrong, doubly so since the upgraded crop techs were both in the final four of the Biotech field. I start ripping out the excess medical centers and replacing them with more hydroponics bays to make up for this. It's not enough. Oh boy is it not enough.

Starvation hits because my farms are putting out soy and Curetatos, at the same time I'm having horrible overpopulation issues because my colonists Won't. Stop. loving. And I forgot there's a "mandatory birth control button. People are dying from starvation no matter what I do, some are still dying from the Andromeda Strain with serial numbers filed off because I've demolished so many medbays they never show up for treatment, there's constant doom and gloom in the news about Earth dying, and because of the rules I set I cannot try to import food to stabilize this. Yet at the same time there's not enough housing for anyone because Ascendance Colony is apparently a never ending orgy and my childcare domes are overpacked and my schools don't have enough space despite teaching night-classes to children! I have apartments everywhere except for one small dome that's unconnected to the rest of the network and has a pair of houses. They're still too comfy. I figure I'll try to relieve space and get more farmland by building the Wonder Dome: Bad idea, there's now apparently near-constant wild beach-side parties. Oh and during all of this I'm constantly importing concrete and building as many vaporators as I can because all of the concrete and water deposits nearby are tapped and expiring.

Only at about 620 colonists do I remember "Oh hey, there's a 'Stop Having Babies' setting" and the colony finally has time to catch its breath and stabilize. Remember, I went from ~300 to >600 with only Martianborne and delivery of 50 refugees the event gave me despite having constant deaths from starvation, some from disease, and a few depression related suicides. Now I have a farm dome (small dome with nothing but farms, hydroponics towers and a Water Reclamation Spire), a 1K and growing food surplus while still spitting out Curetatos for Earth (technically the Wildfire mystery never ends because Earth wants to stock up just in case and pays $200M for every red shuttle you fill up), the concrete excavator wonder (so I can breathe easy there), enough housing thanks to Arcologies...and a zombie Geoscape Dome (it says it needs maintenance, I have the polymers for it, but no robot ever comes and people just keep on trucking on inside of it)...and now I have to decide if I should start a new colony or stop handing out contraceptives.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 30, 2018

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I wish you could send your excess pops to settle, like, Titan or someplace. Mars is tamed! It's time to move on!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So if your Sponsor/Commander comes with a Breakthrough ( see Inventor ), does that count as one of the 19 allowed Breakthroughs, or do you then get 20 instead?

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

No it counts as one of them, if you look on the bottom row of the tech tree there are only as many breakthrough slots as normal techs. Also if your mystery has breakthroughs for it that takes up some too.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Namaer posted:

No it counts as one of them, if you look on the bottom row of the tech tree there are only as many breakthrough slots as normal techs. Also if your mystery has breakthroughs for it that takes up some too.

Oh wow. I'm cool with the picked Breakthroughs taking one because whatever. But mystery breakthroughs take up slots? Most of those do nothing! That's real rude.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I seem to recall that it tacked on extra slots at the end for one of mine, might be misremembering though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The thing is they just added more techs in the last update, mainly storage space and such, and I've played with a mod that added another tech that didn't have any problems. I think the tech screen isn't entirely static in size.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Alkydere posted:

The thing is they just added more techs in the last update, mainly storage space and such, and I've played with a mod that added another tech that didn't have any problems. I think the tech screen isn't entirely static in size.

It's absolutely not. I made a test mod that granted over 30 breakthroughs and it just expands the tech tree to the right. The cost of each breakthrough caps out at 80,000.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Also has anybody every grabbed a picture of all the Dome skins? Especially want to see what Church/India/SpaceY/Blue Sun are using.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Also has anybody every grabbed a picture of all the Dome skins? Especially want to see what Church/India/SpaceY/Blue Sun are using.

Um...you can just cycle between them using the paintbrush button. There's the brown cage, the blue arches, and flawless yellow dome. There's also the green wonder dome variation of the flawless yellow dome for the geoscape dome.

One thing I really want/hope for is simply more skins/models for buildings to pop up in the workshop.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Um...you can just cycle between them using the paintbrush button. There's the brown cage, the blue arches, and flawless yellow dome. There's also the green wonder dome variation of the flawless yellow dome for the geoscape dome.

One thing I really want/hope for is simply more skins/models for buildings to pop up in the workshop.

Wait, I thought each Sponsor has it's own skin as well? Boo, that's a bummer.

e: They do, the brown cage is different, I just checked. USA has a more interlock pattern, Europe only has the main arches, Russia has giant welded bars like a cage.

So what is India and the Churchs version!

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 30, 2018

Lasse Lillebakken
Jul 23, 2007

请大家闭嘴
Inspired by the Adam and Eve mod for banished, I’m sending only two people from earth to mars :munch:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Lasse Lillebakken posted:

Inspired by the Adam and Eve mod for banished, I’m sending only two people from earth to mars :munch:

Can you even get them content enough to have children? I guess one works in the infirmary and one works in a grocer, and you build parks and a gym?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Getting the automated service building breakthrough and very early would make that much easier.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Lasse Lillebakken posted:

I assume these are sexy people.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Anyone here that is good at the science behind inbreeding, can you do the math on how badly inbred these people are if you only send a couple of rockets, total of 24 colonists, and the rest are martianborn?

I bet some of them end up like this dude: https://imgur.com/pgFyd3c
Charles II of Spain, a very inbred person... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_II_of_Spain

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dunno-Lars posted:

Anyone here that is good at the science behind inbreeding, can you do the math on how badly inbred these people are if you only send a couple of rockets, total of 24 colonists, and the rest are martianborn?

I bet some of them end up like this dude: https://imgur.com/pgFyd3c
Charles II of Spain, a very inbred person... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_II_of_Spain

Assuming 24 colonists make 12 breeding pairs that produce at least two children each, you wouldn’t have to gently caress your cousin until (back of the envelope) the fourth or fifth generation, which is fine genetically. As long as the people of the colony are okay with a program of approval-only procreation to ensure proper diversity then 24 people is probably enough.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The book Seveneves by Neal Stephenson goes into the breeding math thing midway through the book when the entire human population is reduced to 7 women although I think they cheat because they have banks of thousands/millions of sperm samples and poo poo

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

The book Seveneves by Neal Stephenson goes into the breeding math thing midway through the book when the entire human population is reduced to 7 women although I think they cheat because they have banks of thousands/millions of sperm samples and poo poo

Well, they did have a bank until an event forces a near collision between spacecraft where the genetic bank gets toasted by a maneuvering thruster. Instead they get around this by one of the seven surviving women being a geneticist.

Also Seven Eves is a good book, even if it does get into some :biotruths: stuff with nature vs. nurture and epigenetics in the second half. It's also a bit long of a book since it's very much two stories bound together in an "I told you that story so I could tell you this one." Basically an unknown object called the "Agent", suspected to be some sort of micro black hole impacts the moon and shatters it into 7 pieces. Everyone's freaked out a bit for a week or two but rather calm until two of the pieces collide, and now the moon's in 8 pieces. At which point Science Guy goes "Oh poo poo!" and races to build a program to get as much of humanity offworld before the moon reduces itself to a cloud of debris falling on the earth and wiping out all life. The first half of the book is the story of humanity's ark program and everything going wrong, the second half is set centuries later as humanity has become a primarily space-borne species starting to recolonize, re-terraform Earth.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The breakthrough that cures aging would also presumably help with the diversity question by opening up cross-generational recombination but I didn’t take getting your neighbor’s grandmother pregnant into account in my ballpark guess about Mars colony viability

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Alkydere posted:

Well, they did have a bank until an event forces a near collision between spacecraft where the genetic bank gets toasted by a maneuvering thruster. Instead they get around this by one of the seven surviving women being a geneticist.

Also Seven Eves is a good book, even if it does get into some :biotruths: stuff with nature vs. nurture and epigenetics in the second half. It's also a bit long of a book since it's very much two stories bound together in an "I told you that story so I could tell you this one." Basically an unknown object called the "Agent", suspected to be some sort of micro black hole impacts the moon and shatters it into 7 pieces. Everyone's freaked out a bit for a week or two but rather calm until two of the pieces collide, and now the moon's in 8 pieces. At which point Science Guy goes "Oh poo poo!" and races to build a program to get as much of humanity offworld before the moon reduces itself to a cloud of debris falling on the earth and wiping out all life. The first half of the book is the story of humanity's ark program and everything going wrong, the second half is set centuries later as humanity has become a primarily space-borne species starting to recolonize, re-terraform Earth.

Yeah I vaguely remember the gene bank getting hosed but I thought they had at least a few samples left :shrug:

Like the last 2 Stephenson books I picked up, I petered out about halfway through. I was excited to get to the "thousand years later" 2nd half but it just didn't hold my interest at the beginning of that part.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I recently googled this because I was thinking about it in relation to this game. Answers varied from 64 - 10000. :v: I think the answer with the best explanation was somewhere between 64-120 without some creative loving.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Yeah I vaguely remember the gene bank getting hosed but I thought they had at least a few samples left :shrug:

Like the last 2 Stephenson books I picked up, I petered out about halfway through. I was excited to get to the "thousand years later" 2nd half but it just didn't hold my interest at the beginning of that part.

It was a confusing enough shift that it was easy to get lost in, I powered forward and was pleasantly surprised. Basically the descendants view the recordings from that period as a quasi-holy-document and the biggest source of entertainment/drama which helps explain part of the :biotruths: separation into 7 distinct societies in that it's culturally reinforced, only breaking down in the most cosmopolitan of areas where people decide it doesn't loving matter. One of the sagas that was mentioned, the story of "Fat and Lean", describes what happened to the backup they had. Two of the pods, tethered together to create centrifugal gravity, get separated from the schooling pods during an evasive maneuver and are too far out for anyone to really help them. In "Fat" everything was hunky-dory, they just had no real maneuvering fuel. "Lean" on the other hand had a near-total collapse of their microbial life support system and refused any help from "Fat" to fix it, fearing that their system-fault might be related to something contagious. Starving, suffocating, facing imminent death, "Lean" cut their tether to send "Fat" back to where it could be collected, repaired and maintained by the pod-swarm, and sending "Lean" into deep space in return. Only later searching through the records discovered that "Lean" had the backup gene bank in its cargo area, no one at the time knew it.

Lasse Lillebakken
Jul 23, 2007

请大家闭嘴

Dirk the Average posted:

Can you even get them content enough to have children? I guess one works in the infirmary and one works in a grocer, and you build parks and a gym?

That’s what I tried, but despite having an infirmary, they wont get comfortable enough. I have them at around 54.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Is that with the Church? They have a bonus that might assist an Adam and Eve playthrough, but I’m not sure how high it is.

Lasse Lillebakken
Jul 23, 2007

请大家闭嘴
Yeah it is. Eve just became middle aged too, so I think I'm running out of time.

There are some mods that modify birth variables though.

Lasse Lillebakken fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 2, 2018

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

So... everyone's run out of things to do in this, too? :c00lbutt:

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Mostly trying to figure out the sweet spot for self-sufficiency. It seems like I have to constantly expand and send colonists my way every chance I get or my industry is crippled.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Insanite posted:

So... everyone's run out of things to do in this, too? :c00lbutt:

I really, really enjoyed the game and played the absolute poo poo out of it at release. I'm sure I'll be revisiting it, maybe in 6 months or so, once patches and mods have cooked a bit.

This is in contrast to Frost Punk, which I enjoyed and in some ways is probably a better game, but having done one playthrough, I'm pretty sure I'm never going to touch it again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I played it about 80 hours and enjoyed it but I've reached the end of the content I think, depending on what mods it gets and what DLC it gets I'd like to come back to it sometime but I can't argue with 80 hours of fun out of it.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I've got like twenty five hours in and the cheapass in me wants to hit at least sixty before I hold off and wait for dlc just to play an hour for every dollar spent on it. I encountered my first mystery in my current game and I think as long as the mysteries remain varied I can stretch some play time out of it. Looking forward to researching soylent.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I find it relaxing and enjoyable so it is the kind of game I will come back to and poke every once and a while. It does not have nearly as many mods as Stellaris and lacks as much emergent experience (which is fair as Stellaris is 2 years old now). I do like the randomised tech tree mutator though, it makes games feel very different and shifts your priorities.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Once the patch came through, I played a game long enough to finally get to the end-game content and finish a mystery.

I don't feel any need to boot it back up until they add more interesting content to it.

EDIT: In terms of hours spent, I've apparently put a lot more time into this than I did into Frostpunk, which disappoints me, because I enjoyed Frostpunk a lot more. I may have to seriously consider how much of my gaming time is spent on stubbornly defeating games I don't enjoy playing. :/

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I have put a ton of time into it--I don't regret the buy--but it does lack either emergent or chill terrarium-like qualities like Tropico or, IDK, Cities: Skylines.

Interesting to see the Frostpunk feedback. Guess my "wait 'til it's on sale" instincts were right.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 14, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Frostpunk looks really cool aesthetically but my first assumption going into it was "ok so you build in a circle around this thing, how is this going to have enough content variety to keep me going?" and it looks like I was right.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'm glad I'm waiting on frostpunk then.
Hell, I'm actually sticking to a "no new games until I beat or play the ones I have to the point where I get my money's worth" rule. Makes me almost feel guilty playing Stellaris over three hundred hours when I have so many others to play still.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I dunno, frostpunk is good. I think it's $30, which seems reasonable considering there's three scenarios, each unique and asking you to grasp and build on the conceit of the scenario, with a fourth planned. I don't think you need to get frostpunk now, but it's certainly worth it if you stilll have the itch after getting done with Mars.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

There's a short new video showcasing some new dome sizes, hinting at a tutorial, and some more detailed colony info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aObm_AcyBmY

Highlights:

There's also a couple-seconds glimpse of some weird purple aurora that must be another mystery or set of anomalies and a "There's more on the horizon!" message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm only just now dipping my toes into this game but it seems like a nice set of plates to juggle as you expand. The map I usually go to is that one with the inaccessible crater in the middle...I'm guessing the only way to get in there is building a bigass tunnel?

The fact that the tech tree in this game is randomized keeps messing me up. It's not TOO bad, keeps you from beelining certain things, but boy I wish I could get that one that turns waste rock into concrete sooner, heh.