Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Stutes posted:

...which is wholly offset by also being the home of Jim Belushi.

*door flies open*

Jim is actually a really underrated actor! He is great in Thief. And he’s a perfect comedic second banana in Return to Me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Stutes posted:

...which is wholly offset by also being the home of Jim Belushi.

Someone didn’t watch Twin Peaks.

UberNils
Jan 11, 2006

NO DEEP LINCOLN
Well, now that Wheatonchat is happening I have to jump in briefly because I sorta grew up there - moved right before high school and my folks still live there. My mom has a great little Ives story - was down in Springfield once for a day of action thing, you know, where people track down their state reps and voice their concerns over specific legislation. I can't remember if this one was supporting same-sex marriage or opposing cuts to social services or what, but I do know that my mom found Ives walking out of a session and called out to get her attention, and Ives responded by turning around, giving a condescending smile, and just saying "No." then walked away.

So that's my Ives story, thanks for listening.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Northbrook is poo poo. I grew up there. The only good thing is the school district.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I bought my grandparents house in Northbrook that my Mom lives in. It seems like a nice town although not much to do. I only visit it every other weekend to do some work but the property values are pretty nice and I think the school district is real good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The real problem with Wheaton is Jack Straw's went to poo poo after the original owner got sick/died and his son couldn't keep the place open on account of making lovely food and now it's gone.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/DKElections/status/989233813468278784

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

*sigh* Good. I guess. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll turn out to be another Mark Dayton or something.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Wooooooooooo relatively less evil billionaire

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
So, how much of the crazy vote is McCann expected to poach?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

DalaranJ posted:

So, how much of the crazy vote is McCann expected to poach?

Probably 1-2%. Unless for some reason Rauner completely implodes or something and McCann becomes the defacto Republican running.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Does any one have a link to stories about dirty tricks Chicago politicians have used to disqualify opponents from running?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Soonmot posted:

Does any one have a link to stories about dirty tricks Chicago politicians have used to disqualify opponents from running?

I don't know if it would qualify as "dirty tricks" but Obama used some pretty specious petition challenges in his first IL senate race:

quote:

According to the Chicago Tribune, Mr. Obama's petition challengers reported to him nightly on their progress as they disqualified his opponents' signatures on various technical grounds -- all legitimate from the perspective of law. One local newspaper, Chicago Weekend, reported that "[s]ome of the problems include printing registered voters name [sic] instead of writing, a female voter got married after she registered to vote and signed her maiden name, registered voters signed the petitions but don't live in the 13th district."

One of the candidates would speculate that his signature-gatherers, working at a per-signature pay rate, may have cheated him by signing many of the petitions themselves, making them easy to disqualify.

Like the story said, it was all *legal* but it was also kinda shady.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Willa Rogers posted:

I don't know if it would qualify as "dirty tricks" but Obama used some pretty specious petition challenges in his first IL senate race:

Stuff like this is perfect, and I think I remember it being shared here before. Basically, I'm running a game for some friends and one of them is going to try and run for city council. I want some challenges that are divorced from any sort of supernatural craziness.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

That's loving classic Illinois politics. Like Underhanded Yet Legal poo poo 101. There's even a name for it: Challenge Season

There's also the fun when your own party tells you to take a seat and wait your turn/let someone else run. E.g. 'you show us you can raise 250K out of your contacts list and we'll think about supporting you, otherwise you get 0 help from the party (no cash, no voter lists, no polls nothing), local media ignores your campaign, and we endorse your challenger and give them money and point the media in their direction while telling you we'll remain impartial.'

ANYTHING in their past is fair game. Dig up that background they oh so painstakingly wrote and have one of their exes show up with a love child (great if they're married) or accusations of infidelity or sexual harassment or drinking/drug problems or racism/sexism/ableism etc etc. (when he was 12 all he would do is call people fags on XBox Live it was like every other word out of his mouth. Do we really want a homophobe like that in office?) If he's clean, focus on his wife/kids/parents/siblings. Anything that could be made to look shady whether it is or not. Win the lottery? Fraud and connections in the Lottery Commission. Make a good real estate investment? Obviously pulling strings somewhere or owe someone a favor in return.

Have deep-pocketed supporters show up and offer to help fund their campaign only to later prove problematic for any/all of the above reasons (this guy is crooked as they come and is obviously trying to buy Candidate X; look how much money he/she has donated! Tell me there's no quid pro quo there!) Bonus points if you have said rich/powerful patrons offer to call in favors/bend the rules to help them out and they agree and then it comes to light.

My personal favorite - voter suppression. Chicago wrote the book on this poo poo. From bricks through storefront windows with signs in them showing support for the wrong candidate to robocalling all your election judges and telling them they have to have more training to do their jobs on election day or not bother showing up so lines stretch out the door and people give up and go home to having your polling place in the basement of people's houses there's so much to choose from.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Mining the background is something I'm already up on. Plus, they're a werewolf, so it's going to be tough keeping that under wraps!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Soonmot posted:

Mining the background is something I'm already up on. Plus, they're a werewolf, so it's going to be tough keeping that under wraps!

El-Oh-El hope they enjoy frenzying when lied about and insulted constantly and ripping the Veil apart on live tv during a debate. This is what kinfolk're for dipshit.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Just the nastiness involved in this year's race for the 3rd Congressional District should fill a role playing campaign.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So Ameya Pawar has been busy since he stepped down from running for governor. One Illinois just went live.

quote:

Shadowy political operatives dealing in disingenuous news create divisions by race, class, and geography. They declare that taxes are inherently evil at the same time they suggest the state is too debt-ridden to take care of its own people.

At One Illinois, we reject the narrative that would divide us along party lines and by political affiliation. We reject the notion that Illinois is a state in decline without the resources to solve its own problems. And we reject, above all else, those who would divide us for political gain.

We see those who point fingers at the causes for the state’s population loss, and we say, “Look in the mirror. When you run the state down, is it any wonder that many should feel driven to leave for somewhere else?”

Yes, Illinois has been roiled by economic change over the last 30 or 40 years, but that’s been felt in river cities and farm-manufacturing towns same as in the industrial belt of Chicago. And some things haven’t changed. People still want good jobs. They yearn for a sense of unity and security. They want to see investment in their neighborhoods — good schools, vital business districts, safe roads. These are not partisan issues.

Thus, we introduce One Illinois, a new nonprofit statewide news outlet intended to confront these issues by telling the stories of Illinoisans. One of the basic responsibilities of journalism is to confront social problems and promote needed change. We intend to tell stories about people and their communities that inspire that change.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oracle posted:

El-Oh-El hope they enjoy frenzying when lied about and insulted constantly and ripping the Veil apart on live tv during a debate. This is what kinfolk're for dipshit.

I mean at least Millennials would have a candidate that embodies their attitude toward the current political climate.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I mean at least Millennials would have a candidate that embodies their attitude toward the current political climate.

In the current political climate a werewolf shredding the Veil (and his.her opponent) on live tv would probably win in a landslide for coming out, wing honest about who and what they are, and killing a politician. Plus the ratings man, the ratings!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oracle posted:

In the current political climate a werewolf shredding the Veil (and his.her opponent) on live tv would probably win in a landslide for coming out, wing honest about who and what they are, and killing a politician. Plus the ratings man, the ratings!

"Eater-of-Bears is pro-war and pro-family!"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I see a lot people posturing like they wouldn't vote for the candidate that turned into a 500 pound murder furry and ate the republican...

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
I know I would.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Soonmot posted:

I see a lot people posturing like they wouldn't vote for the candidate that turned into a 500 pound murder furry and ate the republican...

Sometimes, the politics don't even matter, some people just won't vote for minorities.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

pseudosavior posted:

Sometimes, the politics don't even matter, some people just won't vote for minorities.

This is a good point. Is it a white werewolf we're talking about here?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Does that make Madigan a Ventrue vampire?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

This is a good point. Is it a white werewolf we're talking about here?

White but non-binary, which is going to come up in the debates.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The X-man cometh posted:

Does that make Madigan a Ventrue vampire?

Oh c'mon he's obviously a Syndicate Technocrat.

Soonmot posted:

White but non-binary, which is going to come up in the debates.
Yeah they gonna frenzy.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Saw my first Rauner campaign ad on YouTube last night, naturally with the Blago/Pritzker tapes. This is gonna be a poo poo fight. At least I can take solace in washing my hands of campaigning for this billionaire, he certainly doesn't need my millennial rear end helping.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I just want to say I really hate these shakycam ads for JB waddling around as he answers softball questions, pretending he's super busy and just happened to make time for some rando to ask him questions "I gotta go :geno: *shakes hand* " . He's just a regular guy and he's working hard for all of us!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Saw my first Rauner campaign ad on YouTube last night, naturally with the Blago/Pritzker tapes. This is gonna be a poo poo fight. At least I can take solace in washing my hands of campaigning for this billionaire, he certainly doesn't need my millennial rear end helping.
Take one of the paid canvassing jobs man. You're a millennial we all know you're broke and underemployed.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
To be fair, this is the hardest Pritzker has ever worked in his life.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The X-man cometh posted:

To be fair, this is the hardest Pritzker has ever worked in his life.

same with rauner. it's actually scary how much weight he lost in office even though he appeared to be doing jack poo poo the whole time (I guess killing veterans in Quincy took a toll on him??)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Plenty of time to work out when you aren't coming to the table to negotiate with the state union.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Man, I am seeing so many pissed off idiots complaining about the LGBT history education bill. It seems like recognizing that these people existed throughout history is somehow wrong.

One person complained and said that they would only accept this if “heterosexual history is taught in schools including Adam and Eve.”

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I love this ad; the quotes are the best.

I'm not sure it has the intended effect, though. My initial take was "FBI Tapes? Sounds almost like Pritzker was told to get on the phone and goad Blago into saying all kinds of incriminating poo poo". Even if Pritzker wasn't on the take for the FBI, there still isn't anything really damning in there for him; it's just him keeping Blago talking basically.

Obviously I'm not the target audience, though.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Zarin posted:

I'm not sure it has the intended effect, though. My initial take was "FBI Tapes? Sounds almost like Pritzker was told to get on the phone and goad Blago into saying all kinds of incriminating poo poo". Even if Pritzker wasn't on the take for the FBI, there still isn't anything really damning in there for him; it's just him keeping Blago talking basically.

I don't disagree, but it also sounds like the sort of measured, non-committal answer you give to someone to keep your options open and see which way things go. Reading it positively rings too close to apologia for my taste, but I don't say that as any personal criticism. Importantly, for Ruaner's audience, downstate hicks, the act of speaking to Blago is essentially disqualify and that's all they'll need.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zarin posted:

When your state has an open Senate seat and the governor calls, you'd be stupid not to take it, even if you suspect that the Feds are listening in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

When your state has an open Senate seat and the governor calls, you'd be stupid to make racist remarks about the "good blacks" vs. the "bad blacks" given chicago's demographics + weight in state elections.

But there you are, dem candidate for gov.