Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

can you please stop

e: lol oops, nice snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

The kid in IM3 is worse than Nedddddd.

You’re setting an impossibly high bar, there.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Koalas March posted:

May 15. What's crazy is BP is still in the box office top five.

It left the teathers in my non-American city this past weekend to give room to Avengers. So, even internationally, is/was doing great. I'm guessing IW will last more or less the same time?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. Black Panther
2. Spider-Man Homecoming
3. Guardians of the Galaxy V2
4. Thor: Ragnarok
5. Captain America: Winter Soldier
6. Avengers: Infinity War
7. Guardians of the Galaxy
8. Captain America: The First Avenger
9. Captain America: Civil War
10. Avengers
11. Iron Man
12. Doctor Strange
13. Iron Man 3
14. Ant-Man
15. Thor
16. Avengers: Age of Ultron
17. Incredible Hulk
18. Iron Man 2
19. Thor: The Dark World

Surprised people are so down on Guardians 2 and/or rank Age of Ultron relatively high.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

It hits me how the Avengers movies have this weird dynamic to the serial storytelling of the MCU where the first two installments are total opposites.

Avengers is a culmination of everything we've seen. All the movies are funneled into this big team-up. If you get rid of the Thanos teaser (and Marvel didn't want to make any money), they could have ended everything after Avengers and things would have been fine. It was the exclamation point of Phase 1.

Age of Ultron doesn't really build on anything. You could watch it directly after the first Avengers and not feel like you're missing out on anything. Barely anything from Phase 2 gets any callback. Instead, Age of Ultron is about building towards Phase 3. It's a big juggling act about laying the seeds for Civil War, Infinity War, Ragnarok and Black Panther and it honestly works for the most part. I liked it better watching it again years later because I feel that a lot of the setup stuck the landing.

Now there's Infinity War, which is an even more extreme version of the first movie because there's so much stuff to happen before it. Only it still builds towards the future because it's only part one of a two-parter.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
1. Black Panther
2. Thor: Ragnarok
3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
5. Avengers: Infinity War

Further down that list is GotG 1 (I thought GotG 2 was pretty great and legitimately touching but it's a little lower down), Iron Man 1, Civil War, and Doctor Strange, which had really nice visuals.

Speaking of Infinity War, I'm still processing the movie, but I'm very happy with bisexual Drax.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Schneider Heim posted:

Speaking of Infinity War, I'm still processing the movie, but I'm very happy with bisexual Drax.

:yeah: His instant crush on Thor brought me a big smile. Also, the Pirate Angel thing and everyone in awe or massaging his muscles was so great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
EVERYONE has a crush on Thor. Hemsworth is like the ultimate male fantasy physique. I've never seen so many "I'm not gay BUT..."'s directed at one person before.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
1. GOTG
2. Winter Soldier
3. Thor 3
4. Infinity War
5. Spider-Man
6. GOTG 2
7. Dr. Strange
8. Civil War
9. Iron Man 3
10. Avengers
11. Iron Man
12. Ant Man
13. Cap 1
14. Age of Ultron
15. Thor 1
16. Iron Man 2
17. Incredible Hulk
18. Thor 2

Really hard to put the top 5 in a proper order, they're all really close. Maybe it will shake out differently after I've had a chance to see IW and Thor 3 a few more times. We had a really busy last couple of months so we still haven't seen Black Panther, really looking forward to that too.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rhyno posted:

The kid in IM3 is worse than Nedddddd.

He's in Avengers 4.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: Deleted, not from a credible source.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 2, 2018

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Top 5 in no particular order
Infinity War, Civil War, Winter Soldier, Homecoming and Black Panther.
Mid 5 in no particular order
Iron Man 3, Ragnarok, GotG, Ant-Man and Avengers.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Mantis is a lesbian according to her actress and Gunn. I could see Mantis and Nebula being oddly endearing and appropriate if Mantis gets resurrected.

do you have a source on this

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodosaur posted:

He's in Avengers 4.

Blech. To either.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think whenever it comes to the Guardians movies I just think of Drax talking to Mantis by the pools and 2 wins out immediately. That's in spite of the stuff before they get to Ego being whatever honestly. And though the first half of Cap 1 is amazing, the back half is kinda meh in my mind. So I'll take Civil War over that. A true top 5 is tough for me.

1. Black Panther
2. Winter Soldier
3. Infinity War
4. Ragnarok
5. Guardians 2

But honestly I need to have another go at Ragnarok, cause I might put Civil War in its spot.

If ya'll had to rank the characters, could you pull it off? If Cap is at the bottom, you're a nazi

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nodosaur posted:

do you have a source on this

I checked, and unfortunately it looks like it wasn't anything reliable. Appears to be speculation or hearsay I thought was true, sorry, deleting that post.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Black Panther and Winter Soldier get major bonus points because you can watched them cold without any previous films and you get a complete story, they fill you in on every single thing you need to know.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Winter Soldier's final act is a letdown compared to the rest of the film and that's being very charitable.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

1. Cap 2
2. Iron Man Trilogy
3. Michael Pena's character
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Thor 3

Then everything else. Incredible Hulk, Thor 1 & 2, Guardians 2, and Avengers 1 & 2 are towards the bottom though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm watching Ragnarok again right now and this movie is just so delightful. I am so glad they reworked Thor and that the new characterization made it into IW.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SonicRulez posted:

If ya'll had to rank the characters, could you pull it off? If Cap is at the bottom, you're a nazi

1) Cap
2) Drax
3) Paul Rudd
4) Okoye
5) Thor (assuming you only count Ragnarok and IW)

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Soonmot posted:

I'm watching Ragnarok again right now and this movie is just so delightful. I am so glad they reworked Thor and that the new characterization made it into IW.

The bit where Thor talks about Loki attempting to murder him when they were eight by disguising himself as a snake, and Loki’s little smile in response to this fond memory, is one of the funniest bits in any action movie ever, and a really great character moment for both Asgardians.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Rhyno posted:

EVERYONE has a crush on Thor. Hemsworth is like the ultimate male fantasy physique. I've never seen so many "I'm not gay BUT..."'s directed at one person before.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
1) Darcy
2) Darcy’s assistant
3) Malekith
4) Darcy
5) Darcy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

David D. Davidson posted:

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

The Rock looks too black for all the racist white guys to admit it though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Spider-Man 2
Iron Man
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Black Panther
Guardians
Wolverine 3
Cap 1
Iron Man 3
Thor 3
Cap 2
Spider-Man
X-Men 5
Ant-Man
Avengers 3
Thor
X-Men 2
Cap 3
X-Men 4
Doc Strange
Guardians 2
X-Men
Avengers
Wolverine 2
Hulk
Deadpool
Amazing Spider-Man
Incredible Hulk
Avengers 2
Wolverine
Iron Man 2
Spider-Man 3
Fant4stic
Thor 2
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four Silver Surfer
X-Men 6
Amazing Spider-Man 2
X-Men 3

Need to rewatch 90's Cap.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 2, 2018

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Barry Convex posted:

1) Darcy
2) Darcy’s assistant
3) Malekith
4) Darcy
5) Darcy

Darcy was legitimately much more interesting than any other supporting character in those first films.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VanSandman posted:

Darcy was legitimately much more interesting than any other supporting character in those first films.

The huge SHIELD agent Thor fights before he tries to get his hammer back is more interesting than Darcy.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I rank them in tiers instead of an outright list.
Tier 1: Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Captain America: The Winter Solider, Black Panther, Thor: Ragnarock, Avengers: Infinity War
Tier 2: Spider-Man: Homecoming, Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain America: Civil War
Tier 3: Iron Man 3, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Doctor Strange
Tier 4: Iron Man 2, Thor, Thor 2, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Incredible Hulk

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rhyno posted:

The Rock looks too black for all the racist white guys to admit it though.

And thus cuckolding was invented.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I don't have the energy to rank nineteen movies in order. I'd put them in tiers as well.

Movies I've seen more than once and could watch again:
Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Civil War, Homecoming, Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Movies I'd watch if it was on, but wouldn't go out of my way to see:
The First Avenger, The Avengers, Iron Man 3, Doctor Strange, Ragnarok

Movies I don't need to see again:
The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Dark World, Age of Ultron

Only seen once:
Black Panther, Infinity War

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Spider-Man 2
Iron Man
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Black Panther
Guardians
Wolverine 3
Cap 1
Iron Man 3
Thor 3
Cap 2
Spider-Man
X-Men 5
Ant-Man
Avengers 3
Thor
X-Men 2
Cap 3
X-Men 4
Doc Strange
Guardians 2
X-Men
Avengers
Wolverine 2
Hulk
Deadpool
Amazing Spider-Man
Incredible Hulk
Avengers 2
Wolverine
Iron Man 2
Spider-Man 3
Fant4stic
Thor 2
Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four Silver Surfer
X-Men 6
Amazing Spider-Man 2
X-Men 3

Need to rewatch 90's Cap.

List is severely lacking in the two movies that birthed this massive Lovecraftian horror we now know as Marvel Movies, post early Corman FF and Italian Red Skull Cap, Blade and Blade II. :mad:

Rhyno posted:

Jim Lee is making the rounds claiming that no, Snyder wasn't fired you sillies!

OF loving COURSE, he was fired! I know you're being facetious, but gently caress WB for using his daughter in a power play to project a strong image during whatever merger talks they were having. Hiding behind Whedon and trying to Frankenstein a movie together at the last minute is insane.

What's even more insane is that the exact same loving thing happened to them the year before in Suicide Squad and they never learned! I get that once you're in pre-production having assets made, costumes, scripts, actors schedules, it's all a super hard procedure to stop but holy hell it's fascinating to ponder over as just a Hindenburg sized clusterfuck.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 2, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
IW is certianly in my top 5, but I'm not sure where exactly. I think I enjoy WS the most still, with CW, Homecoming and Guardians 1 in there solidly. yea its probably at least 3 or 2. Knocking Avengers 1 out of the top 5.

Thing is, I love all of them, even the weaker ones because they have something in it I love. AoA has a great Scarlet Witch and Ultron's acting is great. Iron Man 2 has a great Rhodey, Hammer is just a fun as hell character, and I loved seeing a bit of the self destructive Tony we saw in the late 70s and 80s. Dark World has some cool fights, and uh, the Dark Elf looked pretty cool.

TDW really is the worst one isn't it? It's like, they had no idea what to do with Thor. Was he a super serious heroic warrior god, or a over privileged douche or a goofball loveable hero? Yes Thor is all those things, but you need to find the balance, and they never really found it. Didn't help that they couldn't really figure out its villains. The Dark Elves almost worked because that ties into the sins of Asgard from Ragnarok (I'm pretty sure Bors invaded their world to take the Aether from them for his own use, not to defend everyone. The story Odin tells is probably full of poo poo. I mean that's how Colonial Empires operate, they go in take what they want and then claim they were just doing it for the greater good), but they were pretty one note.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The Dark World is the only Marvel movie I've never watched even once, everything anybody has to say about it paints it as thoroughly mediocre and I can't really say I feel like I've missed out on anything super important.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It’s fun, but it’s directed pretty badly.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Desperado Bones posted:

:yeah: His instant crush on Thor brought me a big smile. Also, the Pirate Angel thing and everyone in awe or massaging his muscles was so great.

To further expound on that, Drax is one of the more traditionally masculine characters in the MCU and I really like how he acknowledges another man's attractiveness without any negativity (in contrast, look at Quill). Like, it's TYOOL 2018 and "no homo" is still a thing. It's totally fine, dudes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kai Tave posted:

The Dark World is the only Marvel movie I've never watched even once, everything anybody has to say about it paints it as thoroughly mediocre and I can't really say I feel like I've missed out on anything super important.

The ending fight with the portals and weird physics is a lot of fun.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jiro posted:

Blade and Blade II. :mad:

I knew I'd forget something :(

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Here's my ranking for the MCU movies:

1) Iron Man 3
2) Thor: Ragnarok
3) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4) Black Panther
5) Spider-Man: Homecoming
6) Guardians of the Galaxy
7) Avengers: Infinity War
8) Iron Man
9) Captain America: Civil War
10) Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2
11) Doctor Strange
12) Ant-Man
13) Thor
14) Captain America: The First Avenger
15) The Avengers
16) Iron Man 2
17) Avengers: Age of Ultron
18)The Incredible Hulk
19)Thor: The Dark World

The kid sidekick is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
My ranking:

1. Thor: Ragnarok
2. Iron Man 3
7. Uhhh, Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
Tied for 13. Ant-Man, Spider-Man: Homecoming.

• Locked thread