Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

rizzo1001 posted:

Are the US 4 gigs out? I've only seen 3/32's.

I hate to say how much I like my G5+ since it's going on two years behind the curve and who knows if it'll get Oreo but for a $200 phone with 4/64 dual sim and my old sd i like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

adorai posted:

The Amazon listing says 4gb/32 which is consistent with an article I saw that said the 3/32 would be upgraded to 4/32 for US and Canada.

Nokia 6.1 (2018) - 32 GB - Unlocked Smartphone (AT&T/T-Mobile) - 5.5" Screen - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B4KPFKM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZUm6Ab5F15MRC

Look under the phrase "effortless performance" in the manufacturer marketing section.

Right, I see that, but if you look in the "Description" tag under that it says:

"...Compact screen to body ratio (74%). built on the latest generation of the highly optimized Qualcomm Snapdragon 630 mobile platform and a 3/32 memory configuration, the Nokia 6.1 can keep up with your lifestyle always using its fast USB Type-C charging..."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

syscall girl posted:

I hate to say how much I like my G5+ since it's going on two years behind the curve and who knows if it'll get Oreo but for a $200 phone with 4/64 dual sim and my old sd i like it a lot.

Yeah, I reckon some flavor of Nokia is my next phone (barring a Pixel sized windfall of some sort) but I'm in no rush and will cheerfully ignore any lectures about security updates.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Is there any clue as to what Nokia phones are coming to the US? I'd hate to pick up a 6.1 32gb and then have a 64gb (or the 7 plus) come out a month later for a few bucks more.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 2, 2018

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

rizzo1001 posted:

Right, I see that, but if you look in the "Description" tag under that it says:

"...Compact screen to body ratio (74%). built on the latest generation of the highly optimized Qualcomm Snapdragon 630 mobile platform and a 3/32 memory configuration, the Nokia 6.1 can keep up with your lifestyle always using its fast USB Type-C charging..."
Well that sucks. I will be quite disappointed if it turns out to be 3GB. This article leads me to believe it will actually be 4GB.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2018/04/nokia-6-2018-with-4gb-of-ram-now-available-in-the-us.html

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

adorai posted:

Well that sucks. I will be quite disappointed if it turns out to be 3GB. This article leads me to believe it will actually be 4GB.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2018/04/nokia-6-2018-with-4gb-of-ram-now-available-in-the-us.html

I just got off chat with B&H and the guy is pretty sure that the 32gb version is only 3gb. I'm wondering if Amazon goofed and put up the wrong image and that's where the articles are getting their info. We probably won't find out until people actually start getting their phones.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
newegg says 4/32 for that model.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The vibration in the 2 XL is pretty great.

If you have one, open the clock app and when the set time clock comes up, press on the clock and move your finger around. Works best on the minute dial.

Hunngh :gizz:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

hotsauce posted:

The vibration in the 2 XL is pretty great.

If you have one, open the clock app and when the set time clock comes up, press on the clock and move your finger around. Works best on the minute dial.

Hunngh :gizz:

it is very nice but after using the Nintendo switch's "hd rumble" which is something else I need that in a phone to be impressed

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

There was a review of the iPhone X on Android Police a while back where the writer specifically mentioned how the haptic feedback on iPhones compared to the Pixel 2 is so much better that it's difficult to consider them the same thing.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm gonna agree with that. I switched from an iPhone 6S to a Pixel 2 last year and despite loving most everything about the Pixel more, the taptic engine of the 6S was miles better

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I wish Nokia would hurry up and say something concrete about the Nokia 9. If there's nothing before the end of the month it's going to be a P20 Pro. Does anyone know what Huawei's version of Android is like by the way?

Samsung + LG + steroids = Huawei. A legitimate deal breaker to some, they gently caress with it maybe more than any other manufacturer, and I'd argue with potentially the least successful results. If it doesn't bother you, that's well and good and it seems like a pretty decent phone. If you think it would, maybe hold off.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Anyone here ordered one of the International/no warranty phones form Amazon? I'm looking at the 4/64gb Nokia 6.1 from what appears to be a reputable seller for $309.

EDIT: Well, in my search for a new phone, Huawei just got disqualified. Apparently most of their phones don't work with Android Auto. Crap.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 2, 2018

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I wish Nokia would hurry up and say something concrete about the Nokia 9. If there's nothing before the end of the month it's going to be a P20 Pro. Does anyone know what Huawei's version of Android is like by the way?

It's gotten a bit better in recent years but it started out as a ripoff of Xiaomi's MUI, itself a ripoff of IOS.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

strap on revenge posted:

it is very nice but after using the Nintendo switch's "hd rumble" which is something else I need that in a phone to be impressed

The modules in the switch are rather large to make the effect so convincing. It would be tough to get that into a phone frame.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Oh no doubt the iPhone is so much better. I came from a 7 plus and I do miss the taptic engine. The pixel 2 is better than any other Android so far though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Agreed, the taptic engine on the iPhone 7 I had was amazing, but I like my 2XL much more in every other way.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Finally got my Nokia 7 Plus today :woop:

Aaand my Nexus 5X instantly feels like a cheap piece of poo poo.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

repiv posted:

Finally got my Nokia 7 Plus today :woop:

Aaand my Nexus 5X instantly feels like a cheap piece of poo poo.

Are you in the USA? I'd love a 7 Plus.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Are you in the USA? I'd love a 7 Plus.

Nope, UK. I don't think they're releasing the 7+ in the US :shrug:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Can't you just find them on Amazon?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Skeezy posted:

Can't you just find them on Amazon?

You can, but they may not be fully compatible with the US networks.

(edit: in fact they are not compatible at all)

nimper fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 2, 2018

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd love a 7 Plus.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

nimper posted:

Oh wow, bummer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Got an S9? Hope you like Yahoo.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/05/02/samsung-and-verizon-team-up-to-bring-all-the-yahoo-bloatware-to-your-galaxy-s9/

quote:

The report states that Verizon’s Oath, which is a content division made up of AOL and Yahoo, reached an agreement that adds Oath’s Newsroom app, Yahoo Sports, Yahoo Finance, and Go90 (😂) to Galaxy S9 phones. And we’re talking all models, not just Verizon’s. The deal also opens up advertising space within the Oath apps and Samsung’s Galaxy App that the two companies will share revenue from.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

loving hell. This is terrible, and keeps me from recommending the Samsung flagships.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Gross, glad I didn't grab one of these when I was considering it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How is Yahoo still even real

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

How is Yahoo still even real

my grandma types in "yahoo weather" into a chrome omnibar then clicks the first link to get weather.

yes, i've told her to just type in "weather'.

no, she will not change.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

It's looking more and more like Huawei might get kicked out of the US market by force: https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/2/17310870/pentagon-ban-huawei-zte-phones-retail-stores-military-bases

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

God drat Samsung! :argh:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

nimper posted:

I'm so sick of the way carriers and manufacturers treat the US consumer phone market.

Twerk from Home posted:

It's looking more and more like Huawei might get kicked out of the US market by force: https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/2/17310870/pentagon-ban-huawei-zte-phones-retail-stores-military-bases
I doubt that a lot of bases were carrying those phones anyway. Young soldiers with a new paycheck are buying iPhones and high-end flagships.

Well, if you're on Verizon, you're in luck - the Pixel 2 XL 64 GB and the Pixel 2 XL 128GB are $500 off if you finance through Verizon for 24 months.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

I doubt that a lot of bases were carrying those phones.

ZTE devices are super-common in the "cheapest Android phone the carriers push" market, which I thought was a large part of the market. I see very few Huaweis in the wild, but tons of ZTEs.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

ZTE devices are super-common in the "cheapest Android phone the carriers push" market, which I thought was a large part of the market. I see very few Huaweis in the wild, but tons of ZTEs.

Yeah, I edited my post - I can guarantee you that "cheapest phone" is not a big market for the majority of military bases. You're talking kids who get their first paycheck and immediately buy a Mustang.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
FYI, Best Buy is listing the Nokia 6.1 at 4gb RAM. Looks like Amazon dropped the "3gb" from their description as well.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, I edited my post - I can guarantee you that "cheapest phone" is not a big market for the majority of military bases. You're talking kids who get their first paycheck and immediately buy get screw you financing on a Mustang.

More accurate.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

FYI, Best Buy is listing the Nokia 6.1 at 4gb RAM. Looks like Amazon dropped the "3gb" from their description as well.

At the very least it sounds like people could get a no questions asked refund if they got one without 4GB RAM.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I guarantee the Nokia 6.1 being sold on Amazon in the USA has 3 gigs of RAM

https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/nokia-6

The official specs say the only one being sold has 32gig storage and 3gigs RAM

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Mu Zeta posted:

I guarantee the Nokia 6.1 being sold on Amazon in the USA has 3 gigs of RAM

https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/nokia-6

The official specs say the only one being sold has 32gig storage and 3gigs RAM

That page you linked says 630 with 4 gigs ram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Captain Yossarian posted:

That page you linked says 630 with 4 gigs ram

The marketing copy at the top says 4GB but the specs table at the bottom says 3GB :iiam: