Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Yo leave out the c word

I just get so loving mad at him and go full warehouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/991248447838666752

rofl

quote:

Sophie Mirabella was labelled a ‘bitch’ in wake of report about her

Schoolyard gossip labelled former Liberal MP Sophie Mirabella “a bitch” following reports she pushed a political rival, a court has heard.

Ms Mirabella is suing regional Victorian newspaper The Benalla Ensign and its former editor Libby Price over an article which reported she ‘publicly pushed’ Indi MP Cathy McGowan to prevent a photo being taken during the 2016 election campaign.

Today Ms Mirabella’s husband Greg told the County Court about his support of the lawsuit.

He said the couple had talked about the cost of litigation and the risk of making an enemy of a newspaper but said he was swayed by a conversation with his young daughter early last year.

“[She] came home from school one day and said ‘Daddy, (schoolmate) says mum’s a bitch’,” Mr Mirabella told the court at Wangaratta.

“I said ‘oh, why would she say that?”

He said his daughter told him her friend’s mother had said so.

“My friend’s mother said so because mummy punches people.”

Mr Mirabella said similar conversations happened three or four times.

“To me, Sophie was right - this was how she was going to be remembered,” he said.

Mr Mirabella referred to Liberal Party “folklore” about the infamous handshake between Mark Latham and John Howard in 2004 when describing discussions with Ms Mirabella following the publication of the article in April 2016.

“Often elections or events are shaped by one thing, one photo, one story, one headline,” he said.

Mr Mirabella was also asked about the effect of the litigation on his wife.

“It’s been extremely stressful, anytime there has been any correspondence or dealings with lawyers and stuff she can’t sleep,” he said.

“She’s become a Netflix addict.”

Lawyers for the newspaper claim the article was ‘substantially true’, Ms Mirabella placed her hands on Federal Minister Ken Wyatt’s chest and ‘pushed out of the way’ is a figure of speech.

The trial continues.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/ne...5781e80f23ebf43

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 2, 2018

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Imagine having someone that narcissistic and vindictive as your mum

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

You Am I posted:

So Coalition MP Andrew Laming has pretty well laid his boot into all teachers, saying that they are lazy, that the bad teachers get paid the same as good teachers thanks to UNIONS and they should have fewer holidays.

I'm not sure which part of his whole screed was my favourite. I think it was either when he suggested that teachers are wasting their time working at home, that they should work eight hours a day, or when he criticised them for their breaks "mirroring their students". The whole thing is full of contradictions that show how little he knows about teaching anything.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Whitlam posted:

I'm not sure which part of his whole screed was my favourite. I think it was either when he suggested that teachers are wasting their time working at home, that they should work eight hours a day, or when he criticised them for their breaks "mirroring their students". The whole thing is full of contradictions that show how little he knows about teaching anything.

Just goes to show how easily you can tell if someone actually knows a teacher based on these arguments. This wonderful utopia where homework doesn't need marking, lesson plans don't need creating in addition to extra curricular activities that need supervising. Because as we all know they just show up at 830, have a 15 minute break around 10, a 40 minutes break around 1230 and then are back home by 345. A smooth 4 and half hourish work day all said and done, drat leeches on society. I suppose though less critical thinking in students means more votes for the LNP.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
It seems the Member for Perth is retiring to legitimately spend time with his family:

https://twitter.com/political_alert/status/991486391929323520?s=19

Maybe he should become a teacher, I guess.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Dimebag posted:

Just goes to show how easily you can tell if someone actually knows a teacher based on these arguments. This wonderful utopia where homework doesn't need marking, lesson plans don't need creating in addition to extra curricular activities that need supervising. Because as we all know they just show up at 830, have a 15 minute break around 10, a 40 minutes break around 1230 and then are back home by 345. A smooth 4 and half hourish work day all said and done, drat leeches on society. I suppose though less critical thinking in students means more votes for the LNP.

I don't know the full content of what he said but the gist I got from the article was that teachers should work 8 hour days and that should be sufficient to cover everything they need to do, and shouldn't have to be working at home/after hours/weekends, which is a totally unrealistic expectation given schools have extracurricular programs that need people to run them, and marking etc. doesn't fit neatly into convenient daily blocks.

I'd be in favor of teachers having to spend less of their personal time slaving to their work. But given it's an LNP member saynigi t, it's probably lazy leaner teachers working 4 hours too many holidays!

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Dimebag posted:

Yeah, my partner teaches grade 1 and she's usually at work by between 7 and 7:30am and rarely leaves work before 5pm and quite often brings work home with her. She's also tired as gently caress by the time she's home because she's had to deal with 26 or so 6 and 7 year olds.

I'll take my job working 12 hour shifts, nights, weekends and public holidays over dealing with the education department and self entitled parents any day because gently caress dealing with that poo poo.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Teaching is legitimately a poo poo profession and I’ll be discouraging my children from pursuing a teaching career.

- Difficult to get permanency
- Generally underpaid
- Lots of unpaid overtime
- Perceived as lucky by the public (muh school holidays)
- School is treated like daycare by parents

I don’t see much of this changing in the future. I’m not a teacher but many in my close family are teachers and the younger female ones seem to regret it. They want to/are already studying something else.

Unfortunately I don’t see much of this changing in the future.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

My sister-in-law got to meet Eddie Betts yesterday so clearly being a teacher is all worth it

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Resident Idiot posted:

It seems the Member for Perth is retiring to legitimately spend time with his family:

This will trigger a by election I guess.

Seeing as most of the better candidates got pulled into state parliament by the recent greens/ALP landslide, I'm wondering if they have anyone talented to step up.

I know the liberals will preselect the same moronic born to rule Mirabella wannabe they always seem to float in this seat, so whoever gets it gets it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TStew777/status/991435543467589632

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

hooman posted:

I'd be in favor of teachers having to spend less of their personal time slaving to their work. But given it's an LNP member saynigi t, it's probably lazy leaner teachers working 4 hours too many holidays!

It's worth reading the full thing for how laughably awful and out of touch it is. It's an unusual tactic to publicly and actively take the stance of "actually, we value teachers too much in society" but well here we are.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Resident Idiot posted:

I like the Labor guy is the one going to spend time with his family and showing his values while Barnaby pushes to allow his partner to work for him and touts family values while sticking his beat meat in a staffer.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Patrick Gorman (WA Labor state secretary, former Rudd staffer) is going to be the Labor nominee apparently

The seat only has a 3.3% margin so it will be an interesting contest

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/991533372542402560

'!'

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sally McManus continues to own

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

My sister-in-law got to meet Eddie Betts yesterday so clearly being a teacher is all worth it
When I did placement with grade 4s there was a kid from a family of AFL players who beat me in a distance kicking contest.

Also I quit my course after placement because the workload and expectations made retail suddenly seem more appealing.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://www.smh.com.au/environment/...502-p4zcu0.html

quote:

The Turnbull government has been accused of trying to steal credit for a state-backed solar deal by failing to invite the Victorian government to a ceremony with visiting French President Emmanuel Macron.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Mr Macron were due to attend the signing of a memorandum of understanding between Neoen, France's biggest renewable energy producer, and Anglo-Australia's Zen Energy at Admiralty House beside Sydney Harbour on Wednesday morning.

Victoria's Labor government has been a big supporter of Neoen in Australia, providing a tender to supply Melbourne's tram network with clean energy that helped underpin the firm's Numurkah Solar Farm near Shepparton in north-eastern Victoria.

The MOU signed on Wednesday includes plans for a 15-year power purchase agreement between Neoen and Zen to underpin an expansion of the solar farm.

But Fairfax Media understands the Victorian government only learnt of Wednesday's signing late on Tuesday when the French asked who from Melbourne would be attending the Sydney ceremony.

"Here is a government that is still talking about opening new coal-fired power stations, taking credit for a renewable energy project they haven’t put a cent into," Ms D'Ambrosio said.

"Only Labor has backed and invested in this project, which will support our Renewable Energy Target – something the federal government is actively trying to destroy."

Officials are particularly irked the Turnbull government should seek to bask in the glow of a project that is part of the Victorian Renewable Energy Targets (VRET) - a program routinely criticised by the federal government for seeking to expand clean energy faster than other states.

Prime Minister for Sydney fucks up again.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Whitlam posted:

As a teacher I'd love to have my days restricted to 8 hours. That is my minimum day, and I'm rather efficient so I don't usually go too far over that except when it's test time, exam time, I've got some sort of day coming up where I'm not in so I need to prepare everything for a relief teacher.

Soooo... yeah. What he is actually suggesting is hiring a fuckload more teachers and giving teachers a lot more student free time during those 8 hours. He doesn't know that is what he is suggesting, but he's suggesting an increase in all education budgets by about a third to a half I would think. Maybe even just straight up doubling it, I know how much work some of those primary school teachers put in, up until 10 or 11 some nights. Is that going to come from the Federal Budget because I don't see the State governments doubling their staff numbers.

But if he took our holidays away I could see everyone quitting from stress, we need those holidays not only to prepare, but just to unwind. Holy poo poo. You don't know what it is like. It's not like 32 kids is a hassle all on their own to handle, we can manage that. It's the emotional baggage they pile on you. We had a spate of suicides a while back that went on for 2 years. Like... gently caress. Kids who are on special plans and in care because their parents tortured them as toddlers, sexually abused kids, people who self harm, kids who don't get any food from home. That holiday time is a health requirement.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Teachers need to hang on to their rights with both hands if not more. When right-wing shitstains are in charge they're a favourite target.

I don't know how to communicate to the world how much work a teacher does without knowing or being a teacher. They should straight up do a "My Teacher Rules" show or something like that to show the long hours and stresses that teachers go through.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Sally, what is your stance on video game refunds?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I reckon Sally plays VNs where she always picks the girl/guy/bird who stands up the most for Workers Rights.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sally McManus mains Junkrat.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So the Ipswich mayor that replaced the other Ipswich mayor due to corruption charges has also been charged with corruption charges.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Teachers need to hang on to their rights with both hands if not more. When right-wing shitstains are in charge they're a favourite target.

I don't know how to communicate to the world how much work a teacher does without knowing or being a teacher. They should straight up do a "My Teacher Rules" show or something like that to show the long hours and stresses that teachers go through.

The pop psy my teacher mate put forward that I think nails the problem is that everyone immediately recalls the worst teacher they ever had and it is so viscerally bad they ironically can't get past the feeling to realise why good teachers are so important.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ipswich mayor Andrew Antoniolli, who last year replaced embattled former mayor Paul Pisasale, has himself been charged with seven cases of fraud.
The Crime and Corruption Commission charged Cr Antoniolli, 47, with seven charges of fraud.
"The CCC will allege the man utilised Ipswich City Council funds for his own use to purchase auction items from charitable organisations between 26 October 2011 and 20 May 2017," the CCC said in a statement.
"The man was bailed and is expected to appear in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on 16 May 2018."
In a statement issued to media on Wednesday afternoon, Cr Antoniolli said it was "with much disappointment and frustration" that he confirmed the charges laid against him.
"Let me be clear – I have never been involved in corrupt or criminal activity and I intend to fight these charges," he said.
"These charges will not define me."
Cr Antoniolli said he stood in last year's mayoral byelection on a "platform of accountability and transparency" and said he would not stand down.
"I promised to lift the veil of secrecy and to review our policies and procedures to increase transparency, and while there is more work to be done, we have made incredible inroads in regards to significant culture and governance reform," he said.
"I have a wonderful executive team, professional staff serving the community, and a loving family.
"I have served our city and its people for 18 years, 28 years if you include my time as police officer and I do not intend to step down any time soon."
Mr Pisasale resigned last year and has been charged with official corruption.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Anidav posted:

"I have served our city and its people for 18 years, 28 years if you include my time as police officer and I do not intend to step down any time soon."

That explains it

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Here's an idea,

Lets gently caress off council elections and make local governments public servants who we can sack when we identify corruption

Sure the Liberals won't do it, but it'll stop half the countries councils being run by rent seeking shitheels

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

I unironically remain in favour of abolishing local governments. Come at me.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Don Dongington posted:

Here's an idea,

Lets gently caress off council elections and make local governments public servants who we can sack when we identify corruption

Sure the Liberals won't do it, but it'll stop half the countries councils being run by rent seeking shitheels

Only half?

Where are these mystical non rent seeking councilpeople?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Don Dongington posted:

Here's an idea,

As someone who works in the local government sector

:same:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

Only half?

Where are these mystical non rent seeking councilpeople?

Vincent?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Don Dongington posted:

Here's an idea,

Hate to be the one to break this to you but the entire lower tier of government is universally corrupt to the core.

Corrupt as gently caress, one might say if pressed for words of eloquence.

It's all jobs for relos, deals for mates and exploits with inside information.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Where we're at is basically most of the bad aspects of communism without the wealth sharing bits

Gotcha

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Don Dongington posted:

Where we're at is basically most of the bad aspects of communism without the wealth sharing bits

Gotcha

LUCKY DUCKY!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Bet she hasn't 100% Phantom Pain though

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Don Dongington posted:

Gotcha

Yes and we're on a trajectory towards feudal land owners and serfs only without the caring for your serfs part.

You won't think that's a funny thing to say in a couple decades.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/may/02/catholics-warn-against-winner-takes-all-approach-on-marriage-equality

Read it all. Amazing.

From the policy department of a catholic university posted:

Casey said that rather than requiring one view of marriage be validated by “forcing people who don’t agree ... to endorse or cooperate with it, we should as much as possible be creating a space to live and let live”

:fuckoff: you hypocritical fuckbags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm shocked the catholic church is full of hypocritical individuals with sex on the brain.

Shocked I tell you.

• Locked thread