Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Aaaand on the other hand Isaac has updated us with Founders of Gloomhaven details indicating that it should be about 4 weeks or so until most of us have the game in hand.

With Brass almost on the way and Container coming at... some point... it's going to be a fun couple of weeks :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Barenpark, Miniature Market is now taking pre-orders for it, I presume for a new printing? Regardless, it's 32 bucks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It never makes sense to back a kickstarter game. If it turns out to be popular it will get published as a normal game, if it turns out to be unpopular you will never find anyone to play against anyway.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

It never makes sense to back a kickstarter game. If it turns out to be popular it will get published as a normal game, if it turns out to be unpopular you will never find anyone to play against anyway.

That would be really good advice if it were true. Some games get Kickstarted and then never published.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

homullus posted:

That would be really good advice if it were true. Some games get Kickstarted and then never published.

Yeah, bad games.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Rutibex posted:

Oh yeah dickbutt? What about this https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/capstonegames/the-estates it was already a popular game just not in English :smug:

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
My boyfriend bought me a copy of Food Chain Magnate as a moving in gift, how good of a boyfriend is he

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

HampHamp posted:

My boyfriend bought me a copy of Food Chain Magnate as a moving in gift, how good of a boyfriend is he

He apparently thinks you'd enjoy something that has complexity and depth, but is poo poo to look at.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
On Charterstone: I picked it up as a game night substitution when we had 6 players and someone forgot the Catan expansion. It played decently well for a group of 3 serious gamers, 3 non-serious gamers. The ascethic is a wholesome cartoony village which we enjoyed world building and improving yet... the game left something to be desired.

After 1 play, a player dropped out. We tried playing again, with the Automona handling that player and played sessions 2 and 3. It was decidedly less fun, even opening up legacy content because one player (one of the serious) was running away with the game, unlocking an ability to exploit the game's most precious resource. After that it went downhill when the only player who could catch up was (semi spoiler) continously buying one of the five items to take an extra turn which wasn't fun for anyone else.

I love Steigmeier's games, both Scythe and Viticulture so I bought it on the back of the label and promise of having 12 sessions of gaming with my non-gaming friends but it just didn't hold their attention enough. I echo what other people have said to buy it less than $70 or purchase Viticulture + Expos.

I played Agricola last night and was blown away similar to the first time I played Terra Mystica. Starting with basically nothing and ramping up to every aspect of the board is very fun and brain-tickley. I can't imagine how much fun the game would be with experienced players and drafting the Occupation / Lesser Improvement cards (which we removed for the first game as suggested). Is it worth picking it up on Android/Tablet knowing that I probably won't get the group together to play it again (worker placements are not my Work-group's thing)?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

He apparently thinks you'd enjoy something that has complexity and depth, but is poo poo to look at.

It looks fine! It has personality.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GrandpaPants posted:

Here we go again. Everything looks 50s, from the adverts and icons to the road map. In fact, I'd say they lost some thematic integration with the graphics and made it easier to look at from a gameplay perspective. Original 50s maps would've looked like the Bus board.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

HampHamp posted:

I just got my copy in the mail yesterday and was checking it out and boy howdy, they really don't give a poo poo about how you're going to handle storing all those components they throw in the box. One big ziploc bag containing every single wooden piece mixed together, rubber bands on everything else, and it comes with 6 sets of cards despite it being a 5 player game, apparently because of the way the decks are produced in pairs. The card packs also left a weird residue on my fingers after opening them up.

But hey, I'm excited to play it! And I had a plano case that worked perfectly for the smaller bits.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

GrandpaPants posted:

I appreciated this joke, for what it’s worth.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

So is Azul actually good?

On one hand, it looks like an overly hyped, simple, and forgettable beginner game like Splendor or Century Spice Road. Mechanically, it looks kind of like Sagrada, which I thought was too much chance and didn’t present any tough choices.

On the other hand, it’s abstract/Euro with potentially mean drafting and individual puzzle boards, which makes me think it might be more like Patchwork with two players. It’s also light and colorful enough that it would be easy to get a group interested.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rutibex posted:

Gloomhaven was 99 on KS and MSRP is about $150+ if you can even find a copy.

Also, an unpopular KS doesn't mean the game is bad, so you may still be able to get your friends to play the game with you.

If you have any friends that is.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Medium Style posted:

On one hand, it looks like an overly hyped, simple, and forgettable beginner game like Splendor or Century Spice Road. Mechanically, it looks kind of like Sagrada, which I thought was too much chance and didn’t present any tough choices.

On the other hand, it’s abstract/Euro with potentially mean drafting and individual puzzle boards, which makes me think it might be more like Patchwork with two players. It’s also light and colorful enough that it would be easy to get a group interested.

It definitely falls into the latter in my opinion. It feels like if Patchwork was a knife fight. It's dead simple, sure, but the simplicity of play belies a large strategy space from the actual drafting.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Medium Style posted:

It has some real depth in the good for you vs bad for opponent decisions with little overlap. The best choice is often hidden between those two. The point maximization puzzle on top of that rounds it out to be a very solid game.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Azul is way fun.
I, however, introduced it to some friends and one of them just slayed us on her first game. Like, 78 points compared to the next highest score of 58 points.

I got clowned on so badly that I'm dying for a rematch

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's definitely some randomness that can inadvertently screw you over in Azul but for the most part it's a drafting game where the choices you make are just as important as the choices you're leaving behind for your opponents. It's also mean. Like "I just lost 1/3 of my points because you guys intentionally hate drafted leaving me with junk" mean.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

al-azad posted:

There's definitely some randomness that can inadvertently screw you over in Azul but for the most part it's a drafting game where the choices you make are just as important as the choices you're leaving behind for your opponents. It's also mean. Like "I just lost 1/3 of my points because you guys intentionally hate drafted leaving me with junk" mean.

The meanness really took my by surprise. It's definitely a game where you can take a sub-optimal selection in order to screw over your opponent by dumping them with a half dozen tiles they cannot fit. I could see it making sensitive souls unhappy if you play it viciously.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It’s also more in the mathy space of abstracts because of the scoring, so if that’s not your thing you might not like it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Spiggy posted:

I assume it's filled with nothing but white cards.

:drat:

In unrelated news, there's a follow up on the French company that was alleged to steal a designer's work that came up a few weeks back. It's worth a laugh.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:psyduck:

quote:

Wonder Dice have also issued an extraordinary press release about the whole mess, in which they threaten legal action against anyone who has questioned their practices and has thus “participated [in] this lynching”, claiming that if the game does not meet its commercial goals “they will have to personally compensate” the publisher.

lol good luck with that

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
hot drat it's a great time for board game industry drama!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Azul is very mean if you are paying attention to other people. Played with with my wife and another couple and I wanted to stab all of them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The insipid "Battle Royale" formula is creeping its way into boardgames.

To be honest it kind of inspires me to take Advanced Squad Leader or some other tactical system and repurpose it into a deathmatch game except the secret goal is to kill the government operatives and condemn the people who allow the games to continue. You know, the whole message behind Battle Royale.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Hey is food chain magnate and Arkwright close enough mechanically that only one of them would do or are they both good and unique? Im getting an itch for some interesting economic situations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Banana Man posted:

Hey is food chain magnate and Arkwright close enough mechanically that only one of them would do or are they both good and unique? Im getting an itch for some interesting economic situations.

they're extremely different and good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

New edition of Neue Heimat/The Estates is on kickstarter. Looks pretty reliable and they're using the platform to do a much nicer printing with a lot of fancy silkscreening and better components. It's not nearly as good at 2 but I know people here really like it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/capstonegames/the-estates?ref=user_menu

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

al-azad posted:

The insipid "Battle Royale" formula is creeping its way into boardgames.

To be honest it kind of inspires me to take Advanced Squad Leader or some other tactical system and repurpose it into a deathmatch game except the secret goal is to kill the government operatives and condemn the people who allow the games to continue. You know, the whole message behind Battle Royale.

That doesn't look so bad. It's a decent theme for a game, less cartoony than Krosmaster, less overwhelming than Duel of Ages. I would have placed its influence as being the Player Unknown Battlegrounds videogame.

Of course, it all comes down to how it plays and player elimination is a possible issue. Skirmish games are hard to get right. Hopefully it works a bit like King of Tokyo where players are eliminated but towards the very end of the game.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Man, I'm glad I sidestepped that dumpster fire and just kickstarted Lifeform which looks much better.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Oh man haven't thought about duel of ages ii in forever.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I'm backing the most recent Zombicide Kickstarter because I liked Black Plague, and I like the theme of this one, but I was directed to this thread for possibly some better recommendations. My group and I really enjoy the cooperative dungeon crawler aspect combined with the fun of miniatures. The zombie theme is NOT important to us. Is there a game out now that would better satisfy what we're looking for?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

kaujot posted:

I'm backing the most recent Zombicide Kickstarter because I liked Black Plague, and I like the theme of this one, but I was directed to this thread for possibly some better recommendations. My group and I really enjoy the cooperative dungeon crawler aspect combined with the fun of miniatures. The zombie theme is NOT important to us. Is there a game out now that would better satisfy what we're looking for?

do you have gloomhaven? :v:

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

kaujot posted:

In order of 'gameplay robustness', you might want to look at:

Most Ameritrashy to least:

Zombicide - this you've played
Kingdom Death Monster
Descent/ DOOM / Imperial Assault
Gloomhaven

There's others out there, but these are the big ticket names.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Gloomhaven's obviously fantastic but it's only got a handful of minis in the base box if that's what matters to you. Nothing stopping you from replacing the standees with minis though, aside from time and money.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

The End posted:

In order of 'gameplay robustness', you might want to look at:

Most Ameritrashy to least:

Zombicide - this you've played
Kingdom Death Monster
Descent/ DOOM / Imperial Assault
Gloomhaven

There's others out there, but these are the big ticket names.

This is a good list. Some things to know are that descent and imperial assault are sold as up to 5 player games but both really shine when using the cooperative app that replaces the player who normally controls all the baddies, so to my mind they are really both four player games. You can play the original five player version of course, but both games are complicated enough that when played in a really oppositional fashion rules arguments can be frequent and imbalances can be frustrating. It can certainly work when the person playing the bad guys gets that their job is less to win and more to lose in an interesting manner, but not everybody can do that.

Another one to throw out there is the Dungeons & Dragons Adventure series. These are very, very, very light games about on par with the zombicide series. They don't have a ton of depth or strategy but if your players are going to balk at something too complicated they are worth looking into. The nice thing about them is that they are fast and easily play 5 players with everything fully cooperative. Legend of Drizzt would be the best one to look into. No app, lots of cool looking figures and tiles.

The one you're going to see recommended most of all though is probably gloomhaven. It has little cardboard stands instead of miniatures and it's probably the least exciting looking from pictures, but it's almost certainly the best of the entire genre. It's more complicated, but with that comes much deeper gameplay and replayability. I'm pretty sure the rule book is available online if you want to look at it and see if you think people would be able to jump from zombicide to that.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 2, 2018

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Bottom Liner posted:

New edition of Neue Heimat/The Estates is on kickstarter. Looks pretty reliable and they're using the platform to do a much nicer printing with a lot of fancy silkscreening and better components. It's not nearly as good at 2 but I know people here really like it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/capstonegames/the-estates?ref=user_menu

I linked to that a couple posts ago. I backed it a few weeks ago. I hope it’s good. I realized I didn’t own any game with an auction mechanic. Given that’s already an established game I figured it’d be a good bet.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

kaujot posted:

It's not quite a dungeon crawler, but Mechs vs Minions is a very good tactical co-op game with persistent elements. And the "stuff in the box" factor can't be beat - large, fully painted character miniatures, over a hundred enemy minis, and really amazing components overall. My group played through the entire campaign over the course of a few months and loved every chaotic second.

That said, get Gloomhaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Alright, pack it up. The best game ever has arrived. :3: :3: :3: