Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm pretty sure you only have to line up the pips for the beginning part of the BR, you can still slide for the destination on BRs. Or maybe Alex was doin' it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Barrel rolls are straight side to side now, no forward or back. Are there markers on the cardboard, or something else?

Someone else mentioned this, but you just line up your template with the bottom or top of the base and line it up the same on the other side of the roll.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I only have a handful of ships out of each box, but I'm definitely going to spend this summer keeping an eye out for people dumping their plastic. If I'm getting a $50 box of cardboard anyway, I may as well try and grab ships.

I think there are going to be a lot of people doing this, and I don't think you guys bowing out are going to do as badly as you think if you care to put in the work. If you're just looking to get it out the font door and serious about selling by the pound, I bet there are more than a few people in the thread with PMs open.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I’ll probably end up splitting up the stuff I don’t need out of the conversion sets with other local guys or selling the stuff I don’t need more copies of to defray the costs of the conversion kits. Less upset about that now but the app seems like a big missed opportunity to reduce the amount of cardboard needed.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Devlan Mud posted:

I’ll probably end up splitting up the stuff I don’t need out of the conversion sets with other local guys or selling the stuff I don’t need more copies of to defray the costs of the conversion kits. Less upset about that now but the app seems like a big missed opportunity to reduce the amount of cardboard needed.

"Boy, I sure am having fun at the semi-finals of the Hyperspace Cup! Oh wow, you just flew into my bullseye arc! Let me just check the effects of this card...oh poo poo my tablet/smartphone/whatever just ran out of juice. Oh well."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HidaO-Win posted:

I do LOL at the people freaking out over the cost, they have clearly never been involved in an edition change before. If you play only a single faction you’re paying basically 75 dollars for the new edition. That’s equivalent cost to a new RPG or Wargame core book. Don’t even try to compare it to changing editions in a CCG.
You've not played a wargame since 4th ed 40k have you?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

TheCenturion posted:

"Boy, I sure am having fun at the semi-finals of the Hyperspace Cup! Oh wow, you just flew into my bullseye arc! Let me just check the effects of this card...oh poo poo my tablet/smartphone/whatever just ran out of juice. Oh well."

Sounds like you should've thought about it a little bit beforehand.

Panzeh posted:

I'm pretty sure you only have to line up the pips for the beginning part of the BR, you can still slide for the destination on BRs. Or maybe Alex was doin' it wrong.

I really hope it's this way. Parallel just seems so restricting.

CODChimera fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 2, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CODChimera posted:

Sounds like you should've thought about it a little bit beforehand.

I really hope it's this way. Parallel just seems so restricting.

I'm pretty sure he did it wrong, as he'd spent a good five minutes earlier talking about how 1.0 barrel rolls allowed you to slide around was a huge mistake and just complicated things.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Also, here's a Reddit post with literally everything we know about 2.0 as of today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/8gfnyi/every_scrap_of_info_i_could_find_on_20/

There's a wee bit of author commentary from a notoriously salty poster, but given who it is, I'm surprised at how little there is. This is a good post.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ConfusedUs posted:

Also, here's a Reddit post with literally everything we know about 2.0 as of today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/8gfnyi/every_scrap_of_info_i_could_find_on_20/

There's a wee bit of author commentary from a notoriously salty poster, but given who it is, I'm surprised at how little there is. This is a good post.

"Rebels unfortunately still have a TIE (Booooo)"

lmao gently caress off, guy

Rebel TIE was one of my favorite things they did in 1.0, and I mostly played Imp/Scum.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

"Rebels unfortunately still have a TIE (Booooo)"

lmao gently caress off, guy

Rebel TIE was one of my favorite things they did in 1.0, and I mostly played Imp/Scum.

Yeah that's one of his pet peeves.

Still it's nice someone put together that list, even if there are a few minor inaccuracies and a few tears.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I don’t get the people that hate how they have to pay for 2.0 I guarantee that these people would still spend close to $100 on any wave that gets released that would have supposedly “fixed” ships in 1.0. Each wave has just been new ships that push pilots and other ships away.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Factions getting a unique or at least different version of another faction's ship is great and I hope they keep doing it.

Give me Wedge in a Defender.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Ringo Star Get posted:

I don’t get the people that hate how they have to pay for 2.0 I guarantee that these people would still spend close to $100 on any wave that gets released that would have supposedly “fixed” ships in 1.0. Each wave has just been new ships that push pilots and other ships away.

Yeah considering the alternatives are:

Don't release update packs, just buy new stuff as it comes out, old models are technically legal but since you need the cardboard you get by buying them again then they are technically worthless.

or

2.0 is just a bunch of core rules changes with no mechanical change to any physical elements and is super limited to the point of "why bother?".

What we're getting is pretty great, ESPECIALLY since we're getting 2-4 copies of stuff for every ship ever released. Casual players will be able to split a pack 50/50 with someone and end up paying $25 or less.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm honestly excited to try out new spots I never bought because I was never going to use them in 1.0, and all you really need to fly anything is a base, cardboard, dial, and pilot cards.

Coincidentally, that all comes in the conversion kit.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Where are you guys seeing people rage about the price? I just checked the FFG forums and it's mostly positive.

There's far more comments from people defending the price than actually complaining about it which seems to be similar to here and reddit. Kinda weird really.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Huh, they're saying they might cost upgrades differently for different ships.

I.E. maybe it costs more to put Engine Upgrade on a Decimator than some small-base ship, rather than it being a flat point cost. Genius!

The App/database-based points stuff is going to be the real game changer here.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah I can't wait to get the app. I hope it comes out before Gen Con.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Oh poo poo, the new T-65 has articulated S-foils. This is a bad thing for my wallet.

TheCenturion posted:

The App/database-based points stuff is going to be the real game changer here.

So all the info is actually in the app, right? What do you need the actual cardboard for, then? Tournaments and official play?

Playing through Vassal/TTS is going to be even easier than it was before, since you won't need to go digging around for cards.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

JerikTelorian posted:

So all the info is actually in the app, right? What do you need the actual cardboard for, then? Tournaments and official play?

Yep. Also probably easier to glance at a bunch of cards than to scroll through an app on a phone.

My big hope is that the official app doesn't suck. That's really the make-or-break point.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CODChimera posted:

Where are you guys seeing people rage about the price? I just checked the FFG forums and it's mostly positive.

The top-level comments are mostly positive, but replies have a salty minority.

Also the assorted large Facebook groups are cesspools (as usual).

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Yep. Also probably easier to glance at a bunch of cards than to scroll through an app on a phone.

It is. I only play casually(that might change with 2.0) but still prefer having all the cards out.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CODChimera posted:

It is. I only play casually(that might change with 2.0) but still prefer having all the cards out.

Yeah I hate proxying an entire list. I've been known to print out the squad lists tho

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You're definitely going to have to have all the cards out because there's lots of token tracking. Many upgrades are going to come with lightning bolts to keep up with, and ship cards are going to potentially have shields and force tokens.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Also the assorted large Facebook groups are cesspools (as usual).

I’ve found a few salt mines on the FFG Armada forums, of all places. Some of them are pissed :stare:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've been trying to work out - a couple of the upgrade cards have the same tokens (the lightning bolts in particular). They say 'spend [bolt] to...', does that mean those are a shared pool? Or is it per card?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

lofi posted:

I've been trying to work out - a couple of the upgrade cards have the same tokens (the lightning bolts in particular). They say 'spend [bolt] to...', does that mean those are a shared pool? Or is it per card?

It's per card, charges are basically the new munitions tokens and can also limit upgrades like R2D2 to a finite number of uses.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Booyah- posted:

It's per card, charges are basically the new munitions tokens and can also limit upgrades like R2D2 to a finite number of uses.

This is fantastic. I was wondering if there were ways to recharge charges, I hope you can't

I hope the Force is treated like this as well. Pilots like Ezra have one chance to be a bad rear end Jedi whereas Vader gets to do it 3 times a game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

lazerus06 posted:

This is fantastic. I was wondering if there were ways to recharge charges, I hope you can't

I hope the Force is treated like this as well. Pilots like Ezra have one chance to be a bad rear end Jedi whereas Vader gets to do it 3 times a game.

Force users regenerate tokens. The new Luke says "after you become the defender, you may recover 1 force token."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

lazerus06 posted:

I'm sure there will be, but probably as part of specific cards and not a pilot ability.

I can picture the "put a token on as an action/spend a token for an effect" cycle being wrapped up into one upgrade card, however they would word it not to be able to stack tokens more than X deep. Also, I guess you would need a specific "reload" action icon and rulestext about that icon only affecting the card its printed on, etc etc.

You could even make reloading that token a red action, now, to really mess with its opportunity cost.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Huxley posted:

You could even make reloading that token a red action, now, to really mess with its opportunity cost.

The new Y-Wing has a native red reload action, which almost certain gives all the charges back to the munitions card.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Force users regenerate tokens. The new Luke says "after you become the defender, you may recover 1 force token."

Maybe only certain pilots can regenerate force. I didn't see anything on Vader being able to do it.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

lofi posted:

It's per card. It's a munitions token, but now it extends to other things. No more infinite regen!

CODChimera posted:

I've always been actively disinterested in playing competitively in regionals and higher because I felt the game was incredibly poorly geared towards that style of play, with hard meta, 'buy three StarVipers to make your Interceptors not suck' style balance fixes, and so on. I'm now actively intending to play competitively with 2.0.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

The new Y-Wing has a native red reload action, which almost certain gives all the charges back to the munitions card.

Hey, I knew it sounded like a good idea.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

lazerus06 posted:

Maybe only certain pilots can regenerate force. I didn't see anything on Vader being able to do it.

I think it's part of the end-turn phase, as in 'At the end of the turn, all Force users regen one Force token.'

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CODChimera posted:

There's far more comments from people defending the price than actually complaining about it which seems to be similar to here and reddit. Kinda weird really.

Dude from one of my local x-wang groups...

Ya, well. She's right. You probably should.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TheCenturion posted:

I've always been actively disinterested in playing competitively in regionals and higher because I felt the game was incredibly poorly geared towards that style of play, with hard meta, 'buy three StarVipers to make your Interceptors not suck' style balance fixes, and so on. I'm now actively intending to play competitively with 2.0.

I'm mostly new and was so hopelessly behind there was never any chance of me showing up to my FLGS, but a big 2.0 reset might actually get me interested in OP.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

Ya, well. She's probably right.

Somebody tell Reg "If you can't save up 42 bucks per month between now and September, maybe you should find a different hobby. Or just save up 100 bucks for a core set and one faction kit, then buy another faction kit a month later, then a third faction kit a month later, and so on."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Ya, well. She's right. You probably should.
Ask him if he'd prefer FFG saying that all 1e content is useless and you can't even use the old ships.