Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't buy either

The only Sonic game I've ever beaten is Sonic 1 and I'm not even sure why I read this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

You should play Sonic the Hedgehog 2, friend

It's a really good game

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sonic 2 is the best classic Sonic. Sonic 3&K is a bloated mess with a handful of horrible zones and bullshit bonus game layouts. (Who thought 14 Emeralds was a good idea!?)

I hate that Mania pulled so much from Sonic 3&K.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

You're crazy. Sonic 3&K is way better. Which zones are horrible? The emerald stages are great (because I can actually do them) and the save feature is huge. I always end up getting tired of Sonic 2 part way through because I just dont really like some of the middle zones like Hill Top and Mystic Caves.

Give me a version of Sonic 2 with act1/act2 music variants, act/level transitions, and a level select. Also, let Tails actually fly.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Sonic 2 is the best classic Sonic. Sonic 3&K is a bloated mess with a handful of horrible zones and bullshit bonus game layouts. (Who thought 14 Emeralds was a good idea!?)

Here's a take: The special stage systems in every sonic game except Mania are bad. But especially Sonic 2, that poo poo is impossible.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

3&K > 2 >CD>>>> 1

Takoluka posted:

You poor confused child. I weep for you.

Amppelix posted:

Here's a take: The special stage systems in every sonic game except Mania are bad. But especially Sonic 2, that poo poo is impossible.

This is true. The classic games all had pretty bad special stages outside of Blue Spheres, which is passable. Mania’s special stages though are second only to Rush’s, which were ace.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 2, 2018

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Oxyclean posted:

You're crazy. Sonic 3&K is way better. Which zones are horrible?

Definitively bad zones:

- Marble Garden Zone
    - Carnival Night Zone
    - Launch Base Zone
    - Mushroom Hill Zone
    - Flying Battery Zone
    - Sandopolis Zone
    - Sky Sanctuary Zone

Ice Cap Zone and Lava Reef Zone kinda suck, but the music is great. Sonic 2 has ONE bad zone, and that's Wing Fortress Zone. I'll grant Metropolis Zone, as those star enemies are trash, and Act 3 is way too long, but it's still way better than the garbage that is Wing Fortress Zone.

The bonus stages have little to no room for error, and if you're not used to any of the Super Emerald layouts (and you probably aren't), it's constant reset grinding and memorization with very limited access. With Sonic 2, there are enough checkpoints for you to try again, and if you're good enough and resourceful enough, you can get all 7 Emeralds at Emerald Hill, which is probably why it's called Emerald Hill!

I have very serious opinions about Sonic 2.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Takoluka posted:

Definitively bad zones:

- Marble Garden Zone
    - Carnival Night Zone
    - Launch Base Zone
    - Mushroom Hill Zone
    - Flying Battery Zone
    - Sandopolis Zone
    - Sky Sanctuary Zone

Ice Cap Zone and Lava Reef Zone kinda suck, but the music is great. Sonic 2 has ONE bad zone, and that's Wing Fortress Zone. I'll grant Metropolis Zone, as those star enemies are trash, and Act 3 is way too long, but it's still way better than the garbage that is Wing Fortress Zone.

The bonus stages have little to no room for error, and if you're not used to any of the Super Emerald layouts (and you probably aren't), it's constant reset grinding and memorization with very limited access. With Sonic 2, there are enough checkpoints for you to try again, and if you're good enough and resourceful enough, you can get all 7 Emeralds at Emerald Hill, which is probably why it's called Emerald Hill!

Please don't badnik post

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Please don't badnik post

i'm redz the badnik dinosaur who only came back in mobile sonic 2 :(

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Definitively bad zones:

- Marble Garden Zone
    - Carnival Night Zone
    - Launch Base Zone
    - Mushroom Hill Zone
    - Flying Battery Zone
    - Sandopolis Zone
    - Sky Sanctuary Zone

I'd say Metropolis is worse then those S3&K zones. Star Enemies are trash, but the way they're placed along the screw/nut things is easily worse then anything in FBZ. Can't say I'm a fan of the crushing hazards in Metropolis either, but they're appropriate for a late game zone. I'd say FBZ is bad in S&K alone - it's really daunting for a second level, but as the 8th? It's fine. Marble Garden is about the only zone on that list I think poorly of, and it's a mixture of it feeling a bit boring/long and kid me hating the crushing section.

Sonic 2's special stages have little room for error too - you have to memorize layouts in the later ones because they throw some serious bullshit at you with blind corners and weird patterns. If you're playing as Sonic & Tails, good loving luck. Sure you can get all 7 by the end of Emerald Hill if you fart around picking up 50 rings each time you do one, but if you try to play naturally you'll get screwed because you'll probably get less shots at the harder special stages due to harder stages making it tricky to hang onto your rings. It's a shame they look so much better in the Taxman version because they're even more awful to play.

In S3&K blue spheres are mostly fair, particularly once you understand how to transform stuff into rings - the layouts for the first 7 don't really seem unfair, and a lot of them felt like they were set up fairly logically, and if you're resourceful and know the super ring placements I'm pretty sure you can get 7 before the end of Hydrocity. The second 7 is kinda poo poo because you can't start on them until Mushroom Hill, and it really feels like the super rings are much better hidden or sparse in that half of the game, and you are kind of right the layouts aren't fair. That said, I think you can pull it off by FBZ. The other thing I like about Blue Sphere is S3's save system just means once you've complete the game you can just redo rings you've found to finish up your save file. Kid me never could get Super Sonic in S2 without cheating.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Takoluka posted:

you can get all 7 Emeralds at Emerald Hill, which is probably why it's called Emerald Hill!

I don't disagree with the rest of the post, but I'm pretty sure it's called Emerald Hill because Emerald is typically another form of green and it's basically Green Hill Zone v.2.0

Amppelix posted:

This, but - Mania and + Heroes/Generations 3DS/Advance 2 and 3/Rush/Triple Trouble/1 (GameGear)/Chaos/3D Blast (Saturn)/3D Blast (PC)*/Colors DS

Which I guess is more or less, I like the special stages, just not the ones the main games do

Chaotix has a really cool idea but the execution of it is kinda jank to play. Which I guess is just a general statement for Chaotix overall come to think of it.

*okay these stages aren't actually that fun or great, but I get huge fzerox nostalgia from the 3D tracks which is enough for me

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Sonic 2 is better because of childhood nostalgia. Can't argue against that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Please don't badnik post

They're not wrong though. Okay maybe they're a bit wrong about Sky Sanctuary Zone being bad. Carnival Night Zone might be the shittiest zone in the whole franchise so that alone is a huge strike against it.

I'd say taken as a whole, Sonic 2 is more consistently good all the way through than Sonic 3. The hack that rearranges the levels in S3&K makes it better but still not quite enough to beat out Sonic 2 because the lovely zones are still in there. And Sonic CD is better than Knuckles 3 because even with Wacky Workbench it's more consistently good all the way through and that music.

Sonic 2 > Sonic CD > S3&K > Sonic 1

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

cd is not better than 3&k holy moly

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have no nostalgia for Sonic CD (even though I wanted it, even without having a SEGA CD, just because the cover looked cool in stores). I am confident in saying CD is the worst of the main 4 old ones. I was actually nervous about Mania for a bit, because the first thing I heard was "the guy that LOVES CD and did the remake is one of the big leads on the game" I was terrified it would be bad decisions: the game: Part 2. I'm very happy it was nothing like CD, and that they tried to make the CD levels good. Metal Sonic fight still sucks rear end though (the leaked patch looks like it makes it much better though. I don't have it so I don't have a real opinion yet).

3&K is pretty good, but had a handful of bad levels, and Sonic 2 has the best Sonic Sprite. Sonic 1 is also better than CD.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dealing with the time travel in CD kinda sucks, and CD kinda sucks / is short if you don't time travel. The bosses are creative but kind of lame too. The special stages aren't too bad but my last play-through I remember just getting tripped up by the last few and it sucks getting to Metallic Madness 3 and being one time stone short and having no way to fix your file. Tidal Tempest is also much better then Labyrinth though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ventana posted:

This, but - Mania and + Heroes/Generations 3DS/Advance 2 and 3/Rush/Triple Trouble/1 (GameGear)/Chaos/3D Blast (Saturn)/3D Blast (PC)*/Colors DS

This is a good list of special stages.

But there are some terrible zone in opinions in here, I mean holy poo poo. Marble Garden, Carnival Night and Launch Base are all cool and fun.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't like most of the zones in sonic 2.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Wow guys it's almost like people have differing opinions on things! :aaaaa:

And yours are all wrong

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

With takes this hot I must be in the Lava Reef Zone (which is good)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

This whole conversation is moot anyways because Sonic Mania is the best 2D Sonic game ever made.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Super-mega-hotter-than-the-sun take: I don't like any of the Classic games.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Actually it means they're not making any more Sonic games, ever.

Harsh but ultimately fair. Time to sell the ol blue boy to Nintendo

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I havn’t played a sonic game since sanic adventure on Dreamcast but am i hearing this right that MIGHTY THE ARMADILLO is back?!?!?!1?!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Shadowlyger posted:

Super-mega-hotter-than-the-sun take: I don't like any of the Classic games.

"Ugh I wish Sega would stop with this Mania crap and give us real fans Adventure 3 already"

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Oxyclean posted:

"Ugh I wish Sega would stop with this Mania crap and give us real fans Adventure 3 already"

This but unironically.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Re: Forces sales

There's no numbers for the game, but one of the Sonic streams post release said it performed well and there's a line in the investor's report that it performed well.

https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/settlement/2018/20180207_3q_siryo_e_final.pdf

The only numbers people had to go on were VGChartz (the guys who make up numbers) and Steamspy (which scraped public Steam profiles for data and was highly inaccurate but most cited within the first weeks of launch.)

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

This but unironically.

Sonic 2006 lurches once more from its coffin in hell and staggers towards this post

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oxyclean posted:

"Ugh I wish Sega would stop with this Boost crap and give us real fans Adventure 3 already"

*With expanded physics and more open, three-dimensional levels.
**Also the game would build on what SA1 did right instead of making the bad parts worse like every other 3D Sonic game did
***Honestly just use SA1 as a template more so than SA2.
****With less artificial length from mandatory fishing minigames and stuff
*****Yes I know 06 was basically SA3 but you know what I mean
******The game should be good is what I mean
*******Seriously make a loving actual 3D platformer.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Did SA1 have missions? It's been too long since I played - I always liked how the emblems and missions gave SA2's levels a lot of reasons for you to replay them, which worked nicely with the chao garden.

I wouldn't mind them taking one more shot at an adventure style game, but i think I really just want a Sonic game that has something like a Chao garden and reasons to replay levels, and maybe some unlockable powers that tie into level replayability.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

bring back emerald hunt stages imo

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sonic 1 is better than 2 imo.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I really don't like Sonic 1. Aside from Green Hill, the levels just aren't very fun at all. Also no Spin Dash.

Personal ranking:
S3&K > Mania > 2 > CD > Chaotix > 1 >>>>> 4

Note: Sonic 3&K is my favorite video game ever made even though with the Plus DLC Mania is probably the very best of them all

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ventana posted:

I've got no opinion on the rest of those but when have you last played heroes, those special stages are a buggy mess. They're also really really easy, so it doesn't matter that much, but in no world would I call them good or fun. The physics break all the loving time because they apparently just used the normal stage physics with a really janky hack that makes you stick to the walls or something. Making the player move along the surface of a tube really shouldn't be hard!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Oxyclean posted:

Did SA1 have missions? It's been too long since I played - I always liked how the emblems and missions gave SA2's levels a lot of reasons for you to replay them, which worked nicely with the chao garden.

SADX added the missions, which are okay enough replacements. They aren't the same kind of missions as SA2's, and are kinda more variable and doing odd tasks, but they do make you replay stages and find things you might've missed before.

Amppelix posted:

I've got no opinion on the rest of those but when have you last played heroes, those special stages are a buggy mess. They're also really really easy, so it doesn't matter that much

I think just about a year ago, since I don't have my Wii/GC on me at school and only see it during summer breaks

But yes, if you do anything other than hold B to boost forward or get hit while upside down, the special stages gently caress up royally. Luckily they are so easy that you'd have to try and mess things up, and beyond that it's just got nice music/looks/the main gameplay mechanics are interactive enough that you don't get bored. Generations 3DS basically did the same but cleaned it up so it's not nearly as jank.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Augus posted:

*With expanded physics and more open, three-dimensional levels.
**Also the game would build on what SA1 did right instead of making the bad parts worse like every other 3D Sonic game did
***Honestly just use SA1 as a template more so than SA2.
****With less artificial length from mandatory fishing minigames and stuff
*****Yes I know 06 was basically SA3 but you know what I mean
******The game should be good is what I mean
*******Seriously make a loving actual 3D platformer.

Asking this current iteration of sonic team to make a sequel to sonic adventure 1/2 is the most intentionally monkey's paw poo poo ever

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Simsmagic posted:

bring back emerald hunt stages imo

One day I'm gonna make a game that's entirely Knuckle's Emerald Hunting parts of SA1/SA2.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Did SA1 have missions? It's been too long since I played
Sooooooooooort of. The first time you play a stage, it'll be "just get to the goal" as a C-rank emblem. From there, it depends on what character the stage is for. For Sonic, for instance, it's followed up with "get to the goal, but have 50 rings at the end" for a B-rank, and then "get to the goal within this strict time limit" for an A-rank. For Big, on the other hand, it's "catch a fish of a certain weight before going for Froggy", with an A-rank's requirements being higher than a B-rank's. The only other one I'm certain of is Knuckles, for whom one rank is "don't talk to Tikal when finding the emerald shards". DX, as noted, added some other "missions" as part of its "Director's Cut", but they're largely fluff IIRC.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
One minor thing I learned about relatively recently is that Adventure 1 does have something of a precursor to the ranks in the later games based of your score. Normally when you beat a stage your character says something along the lines of "Yeah, not bad!", but if you get a high enough score (which essentially comes down to ring attacking the stage.) your character will change the quote to something a bit more enthusiastic like Sonic whistling then exclaiming "Sweet!" You don't get anything for it that I'm aware, but I found it neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Hrist posted:

I have no nostalgia for Sonic CD (even though I wanted it, even without having a SEGA CD, just because the cover looked cool in stores). I am confident in saying CD is the worst of the main 4 old ones. I was actually nervous about Mania for a bit, because the first thing I heard was "the guy that LOVES CD and did the remake is one of the big leads on the game" I was terrified it would be bad decisions: the game: Part 2. I'm very happy it was nothing like CD, and that they tried to make the CD levels good. Metal Sonic fight still sucks rear end though (the leaked patch looks like it makes it much better though. I don't have it so I don't have a real opinion yet).

3&K is pretty good, but had a handful of bad levels, and Sonic 2 has the best Sonic Sprite. Sonic 1 is also better than CD.

Sonic Mania has CD style music and artwork, which were the good things to come from Sonic CD. It's a really trippy looking game, but it feels unfinished and clunky to play. Chaotix has a similar thing going on. The level design and gameplay in Mania is Sonic 3 style, which is the way it should be.

I go back and forth whether I like Mania or S3&K more. They're pretty close for me.