Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sarah Perkins, Hawthorn superstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
So apart from Mark "Drug Dealer" Thompson, the other big discussion point at the moment is the quality of the game and what things could be done to improve it. While I'm always somewhat sceptical of these discussions when they come up, I did hear an interesting rule change suggested:

Give the first player to contest and win the ball the normal prior opportunity but after they dispose of the ball to a teammate then prior opportunity is mostly expended and the onus is on the players to dispose of the ball correctly.

This would seem to remove a lot of the ridiculous 'knocked out in a tackle' things and rewards high disposal skills. Additionally, it would make sense that teams would start trying to make sure players had more space so that if they did win the ball, they had options to dispose of it to that weren't going to instantly be pinged and turn the ball over.

On the face of it, it doesn't sound like a horrible idea. It seems like it'd go a long way to opening the game up without massively changing the game or doing stupid poo poo like reducing interchange caps that'll just force more athletes into the game while increasing injury risks. It should also be relatively easy to adjudicate cause it's just a "did they kick/handball? yes/no" equation for umps and even as bad as they are I'm not sure they can horribly gently caress that up consistently (they'd do their best though).

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

So apart from Mark "Drug Dealer" Thompson, the other big discussion point at the moment is the quality of the game and what things could be done to improve it. While I'm always somewhat sceptical of these discussions when they come up, I did hear an interesting rule change suggested:

Give the first player to contest and win the ball the normal prior opportunity but after they dispose of the ball to a teammate then prior opportunity is mostly expended and the onus is on the players to dispose of the ball correctly.

This would seem to remove a lot of the ridiculous 'knocked out in a tackle' things and rewards high disposal skills. Additionally, it would make sense that teams would start trying to make sure players had more space so that if they did win the ball, they had options to dispose of it to that weren't going to instantly be pinged and turn the ball over.

On the face of it, it doesn't sound like a horrible idea. It seems like it'd go a long way to opening the game up without massively changing the game or doing stupid poo poo like reducing interchange caps that'll just force more athletes into the game while increasing injury risks. It should also be relatively easy to adjudicate cause it's just a "did they kick/handball? yes/no" equation for umps and even as bad as they are I'm not sure they can horribly gently caress that up consistently (they'd do their best though).

Definitely has merits. In general the umps need to start rewarding tackling properly. The length of time players have to dispose of the ball borders on idiocy. If the initial tackle is sufficent to deny the player the abilty to correctly dispose it should be a free kick. I mean given enough time every player will be able to shrug a tackle at some point.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

The ‘a good bloke’ defence

also the 'im financially successful! just being in court is costing me money a poor person doesnt have so you can knock a bunch of years off the sentence cos theyre basically worth the same thing!' defence, like what george calombaris got away with for belting that teenager at the soccer

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Periphery posted:

So apart from Mark "Drug Dealer" Thompson, the other big discussion point at the moment is the quality of the game and what things could be done to improve it.

relegate the saints

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

snaeksikn posted:

relegate the saints

That'll happen naturally at the rate the Saints are going so no discussion or decisions need to be made relating to that improvement of the game :colbert:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://twitter.com/DSBurtenshaw/status/991572600890449920

2010 was the last time Carlton traveled to Adelaide to play us, that's a fair bit of 'fixture quirk'

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Maybe they meant the last team to play there on a saturday night, because apparently it has not happened before.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

drunkill posted:

Maybe they meant the last team to play there on a saturday night, because apparently it has not happened before.

R4 H Carlton 2.7 3.9 4.15 6.19 55 5.1 10.4 12.5 16.7 103 L -48 14-0-15 Football Park 38321 Sat 17-Apr-2010 2:40 PM

The last time Carlton played against the Crows in Adelaide, where Brett Ratten was the coach, with 3 goals each the top scorers were Jeff Garlett, Shane Yarran, and Ryan Houlihan, and the leading possession getter was Andrew Walker with 36

The only other team with a comparable amount of time since their last visit to Adelaide to play Adelaide is Fitzroy

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 2, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
We played Adelaide in Adelaide last year in round 5. The first time we played them at Adelaide Oval, iirc.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

drunkill posted:

We played Adelaide in Adelaide last year in round 5. The first time we played them at Adelaide Oval, iirc.

Port Adelaide in Adelaide.
My very cursory glance tells me Carlton haven't played Adelaide at the Adelaide Oval and haven't played Adelaide in Adelaide since like 2010.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 2, 2018

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hawthorn had a similar run of not playing Brisbane at the Gabba for about 6 or 7 years that was broken last year. I only know because the Brisbane based hawk supporters got more and more annoyed as each year’s fixture came out.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Roberton out for the rest of the season due to ongoing tests on his heart. :(

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

On the Bomber Thompson stuff: As much as the "good bloke" defense will shorten his jail time, surely the easiest defense is just for him to roll over on his bikie roommate and/or claim he was being threatened/stood over.

That should cut a few years off, and depending on how much of an arsehole he is, (answer: very much so), surely he could claim mental distress due to the Dank saga fallout. I mean he even has public statements corroborating that. So that could also help him come sentencing time.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
charlie curnow and caleb marchbank both did their ankles at training today

our injury list keeps growing, will the afl let us use any top up players if this continues?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

drunkill posted:

charlie curnow and caleb marchbank both did their ankles at training today

our injury list keeps growing, will the afl let us use any top up players if this continues?

Oh wow, how bad are they? Can't find a good answer

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah they will let you take VFL players at some point. Freo had to do it (or nearly did, a contingency was worked out anyway) a couple of years ago.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

hiddenmovement posted:

Oh wow, how bad are they? Can't find a good answer

Charlie and Caleb? Rolled ankles, 1 week each (no doubt 2 weeks in truth)

Or our injury list: http://www.carltonfc.com.au/injury with a few walking wounded.and most of that list yet to play this year so when they are fit they won't make selection right away, unless we have to.

Also this is pretty cute

Bri Davey aged 8
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiRPzxCgUU4/?hl=en&taken-by=briannadavey_

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

BrigadierSensible posted:

On the Bomber Thompson stuff: As much as the "good bloke" defense will shorten his jail time, surely the easiest defense is just for him to roll over on his bikie roommate and/or claim he was being threatened/stood over.

That should cut a few years off, and depending on how much of an arsehole he is, (answer: very much so), surely he could claim mental distress due to the Dank saga fallout. I mean he even has public statements corroborating that. So that could also help him come sentencing time.

It was during the drugs scandal that he went off the rails so I wouldn’t be surprised if the mental health issues bought on by that come up in his defence. I mean Hird tried to commit suicide on the back of all that poo poo so it’s not unreasonable to expect that Bomber was pretty badly affected too.

Having read some of the stories being published about his life since the saga it’s actually pretty sad what’s happened

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Why did he make that joke about selling ice before the drug scandal? Seems like a strange thing to do.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
zac smith is finally back :pray:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
What has happened to Hird and Bomber Thompson is not sad. They are terrible people, who have done terrible things. I'm sick of reading sympathetic poo poo in here about them

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Yeah they're people who made terrible errors in judgement and did bad things, but I think having no level of empathy for them is also kind of sad. They deserve the book thrown at them for what they've done. Bomber, if found guilty (surely formality) should do time, deserved to lose their jobs, Hird didn't deserve his trip to Paris, deserved fines etc. Those are legal/organisational punishments I can get behind. I can't work out people having no sympathy or empathy (or in some cases I've seen, taking pleasure in) for the decline in mental and physical well-being. Hird attempting suicide, Bomber (potentially) loving up his physical and mental health with drugs...that's sad and I do have sympathy for those things.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Crows indigenous guernsey is announced and out

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

realbez posted:

Why did he make that joke about selling ice before the drug scandal? Seems like a strange thing to do.

Thompson always was a bit weird, it could honestly have been just a dumb joke that was meant to be similar to "selling ice to eskimos" kind of thing.

Or he was actually more like Scarface and just facedeep in METH BABY YEAH.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

realbez posted:

What has happened to Hird and Bomber Thompson is not sad. They are terrible people, who have done terrible things. I'm sick of reading sympathetic poo poo in here about them

I don't have much sympathy for them but I don't think they deserve to suffer serious psychological issues as a result.

In other news, Dylan Roberton is most likely out for the rest of the year with his heart issue. They are installing some device to track his heart for the next three months cause they haven't managed to figure out exactly what caused the irregularity. Hopefully they sort it out soon and he can have a long life and career.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

thepokey posted:

Yeah they're people who made terrible errors in judgement and did bad things, but I think having no level of empathy for them is also kind of sad. They deserve the book thrown at them for what they've done. Bomber, if found guilty (surely formality) should do time, deserved to lose their jobs, Hird didn't deserve his trip to Paris, deserved fines etc. Those are legal/organisational punishments I can get behind. I can't work out people having no sympathy or empathy (or in some cases I've seen, taking pleasure in) for the decline in mental and physical well-being. Hird attempting suicide, Bomber (potentially) loving up his physical and mental health with drugs...that's sad and I do have sympathy for those things.

Imagine describing trafficking ice and running a doping program as 'errors in judgement'

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
This is the good bloke celebrity white guy narrative. If he was some no name from Craigeburn that had been beaten as a child and turned to drug dealing after he struggled to find work after dropping out of school, no one would have a scintilla of sympathy. But it's good bloke premiership coach Thommo so let's roll out the sympathy wagon in all the papers.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

This is the good bloke celebrity white guy narrative. If he was some no name from Craigeburn that had been beaten as a child and turned to drug dealing after he struggled to find work after dropping out of school, no one would have a scintilla of sympathy. But it's good bloke premiership coach Thommo so let's roll out the sympathy wagon in all the papers.

People have sympathy for celebrities because they have knowledge of them as a person and their personality. You dont give a poo poo about Robbo the local meth dealer getting busted but his family and friends will absolutely sympathise with him.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

realbez posted:

Personally I’m pretty happy the posters here have more empathy and can take a more nuanced view than your average Facebook commenter

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

if they reckon theyve got it tough what about [completely arbitrary example of something completely unrelated]?? theyre just a bunch of sooks!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Nutsngum posted:

You dont give a poo poo about Robbo the local meth dealer getting busted but his family and friends will absolutely sympathise with him.

Why not? He's drunk on foxtel most nights.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I feel sorry for Robbo any time he opens his mouth

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Everyone better get their 2018 season pack!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/757070/AFL_EVOLUTION_SEASON_PACK_2018/

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"AN EXTRA season is the main sticking point in star free agent Jeremy McGovern's negotiations with West Coast, with the key defender seeking a six-year deal and the club offering five."

gently caress me just give him six if you're offering five already

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Just looked at our fixture and this month is absolutely pivotal:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Melbourne have St Kilda, lynchless gold coast and Carlton in the next 3 games and are loving guaranteed to drop at least one of them

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Solemn Sloth posted:

Melbourne have St Kilda, lynchless gold coast and Carlton in the next 3 games and are loving guaranteed to drop at least one of them

if the dees somehow manage to win all three i will... idk what do people put up as bets any more other than self-ban and drinking cum

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

Solemn Sloth posted:

drop the saints one tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

I love this :3: