Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Splicer posted:

Morrigi were my poison, as evidenced by my inability to stop building hangar cruisers and battleships no matter how bad they are.

Sup psychic space dragon bro. I was so happy way back to upgrade my computer way back when. Meant my swarm of anti=matter warhead dumbfire missile rack armed drones didn't murder my framerate along with the enemey fleet.

e: I should figure out how to do a Zuul themed devouring hoard run in Stellaris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Soylent Pudding posted:

Sup psychic space dragon bro. I was so happy way back to upgrade my computer way back when. Meant my swarm of anti=matter warhead dumbfire missile rack armed drones didn't murder my framerate along with the enemey fleet.

e: I should figure out how to do a Zuul themed devouring hoard run in Stellaris.
Oh god, remember firing them at Tarka cruisers with upgraded armour and watching almost every shot bounce off...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Talkie Toaster posted:

Oh god, remember firing them at Tarka cruisers with upgraded armour and watching almost every shot bounce off...
Gallant uses emitters against Morrigi
Goofus puts emitters on his own drones

...I may have been Goofus.

I also loved playing Hivers. Getting that missile upgrade just before reaching a target system :discourse:

Losing nearly every ship except the gate :discourse:x2

That first turn after you got slingshot gates :discourse:x Infinity

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 2, 2018

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Shugojin posted:

Console is disabled on ironman mode, which is a requirement of getting achievements to begin with.

Ahh, I'm playing ironman anyways, so no console for me. I found an article on save editing, so I may try that. Or just write off the bug as unfortunate but unfixable; it sucks wasting the ascension slots but it's hardly the end of the galaxy.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Splicer posted:

always be goofus

morrigi who rolled emitters was the only thing that could stop "zuul garbage scow fleet with purple lasers in every slot" early on. You'd just end up with large expanding fields of debris as they spawned in and died instantly to lightning.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
"The Universe is healing, my lord! Shall we wound it again?"

The glee in Zuul voice actor's performance of that line was glorious.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I loved learning that the various races in SOTS had randomly roled AI templates that dictates combat and diplomacy ends.

Liir had two possibilities:
Peace-loving space dolphins that want to make nice with everyone. (Presumably the Liir government in control of foreign relations.)
Psychodolphins that want to murder everyone else in the star cluster. (Presumably the Black Elder calling the shots.)

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Splicer posted:

I also loved playing Hivers. Getting that missile upgrade just before reaching a target system :discourse:

Losing nearly every ship except the gate :discourse:x2

That first turn after you got slingshot gates :discourse:x Infinity

Hell yeah hiver supremacy! It's absolutely essential to wipe out hivers first if you're not playing as them before they grow their gate network too big and spread like a slowly creeping fungus

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

So one of the things I liked about CK2 vs EU3 was that CK2 had interesting things to when you became a major power rather than just taking over everything because no one was a threat. This game got a lot of flak for something similar where the endgame was boring.

OP says that DLC/patching was focused on correcting that but what sorts of things keep the game interesting once you've become an established power?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Conskill posted:

I loved learning that the various races in SOTS had randomly roled AI templates that dictates combat and diplomacy ends.

Liir had two possibilities:
Peace-loving space dolphins that want to make nice with everyone. (Presumably the Liir government in control of foreign relations.)
Psychodolphins that want to murder everyone else in the star cluster. (Presumably the Black Elder calling the shots.)

From what I understand, it's more than that.

The Liir are totally peaceful happy hippies who love hanging out with you. The problem is, if they happen to see you attacking someone else and bombing their planets, they assume that you are crazy genocidal monsters and respond appropriately, by behaving like crazy genocidal monsters. With bioweapons.

Since there's no way to actually fight a war without going bombing planets and going full genocide, either you have to fight all your wars in sectors the Liir aren't in, stand around whistling whenever they come near, or just accept that sooner or later they will turn on you because they think you're a species-murdering threat that must be stopped to protect themselves.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
CK2 has you playing the leader themself rather than the nation though, which instantly makes a huge difference to the focus and challenges of the game by default.

As far as Stellaris goes the big new thing is mid-game emergencies, such as bandit kingdoms trying to become super powers or Fallen Empires going on the warpath (particularly when any single nation gets past a fleet size threshold), but nothing arises which really reacts to the players nation itself beyond what was just noted.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Did something and this happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW1i0soaZts

High on space dust

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Would totally build a Hab there for sick space-raves.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Dude, that's awesome. Rave-rings needs to be it's own mod.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

When did they change it so that you can't use the Assimilator war goal in a defensive war? I provoked a FE into attacking me (so I could get the defensive war bonus), and the only thing I can do is make them say they are sorry. At least I can destroy their fleet so in 10 years I can do it properly.

Guilliman posted:

High on space dust

Wiz, hire this man.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

binge crotching posted:

When did they change it so that you can't use the Assimilator war goal in a defensive war? I provoked a FE into attacking me (so I could get the defensive war bonus), and the only thing I can do is make them say they are sorry. At least I can destroy their fleet so in 10 years I can do it properly.

Wiz, hire this man.

That was just changed in 2.03 I think, you can't use a total war CB unless the attacker is using total war against you. Against a normal empire that isn't going to be a problem since everyone gets the containment total war CB against you but FEs can't (or just won't?) do that, probably to keep them from taking huge blobs of territory without ever awakening.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Guilliman posted:

High on space dust

A Rainbow world.,...

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.

Bloodly posted:

A Rainbow world.,...

Somehow I don't think this is what the Precursors had in mind.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Guilliman posted:

High on space dust
It looks oddly delicious.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

at last, we've found the legendary gay planet

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Guilliman posted:

High on space dust

Well Captain, it appears to be constantly sending out a signal that our top scientist have described as "funky".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Guilliman posted:

High on space dust

Can you replicate that regularly? Asking for a friend.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

iospace posted:

Can you replicate that regularly? Asking for a friend.

?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Funky. I love it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I am intrigued by this Infinity Machine Pinball spin-off.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Ringworlds, dyson spheres, stargates... These do not interest us.

Planet-sized disco balls with rainbow rings - now THAT is what we will require to broadcast this throughout the galaxy!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU

We shall become themasters of the universe - or dance trying!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Give them all hangar bays that send out a CAP of 8 fighters at all times. Make them super tough too.

Nobody messes with Rainbow Road.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AriadneThread posted:

at last, we've found the legendary gay planet

but why would anyone want to stand on you!!!?!?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

You should definitely add that to the mod, for real.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Have it generate unity

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Guilliman posted:

High on space dust

Guilliman, please turn this into a custom civic/start like your Deathworlders. Starting planet should have the Atmospheric Hallucinogen modifier, mandatory Chemical Bliss living standards, alien migration attraction, etc.

I wanna play the game as dudes who are trippin balls ALL THE TIME, and everyone wants to join them.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Not Chemical Bliss. NEVER Chemical Bliss. The +happy doesn't make up for the roughly -45% output(baseline -60 to everything for Bliss, +15 or so for the +40 Happy taking you to 90%...but that's not counting Faction happiness and such). Unless you're seeking the ultimate in challenge starts. Can you deal with a homeworld that's producing next to nothing?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
The 2.0.4 change to Master Builders is pretty nice for the Voidborne Origin Civic, I gotta say. It used to be that you made your 6-slot void habitats and then you'd pay to upgrade them a few slots at a time. Now, instead of that, when you get Master Builders immediately all of your 6-slot baby habs are now 15 slot habs. That you can expand further with a late-game research. Still need to put your capitol on an actual planet eventually though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/991665422108954624?s=20
Slaver boxes! Unrelated:

https://twitter.com/RikardAslund/status/991946985958723584?s=20

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 3, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trait very very shy

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Come on Paradox, we've been there before...

(none of these outcomes were good, the box is clearly lying)

That second bug is hilarious though. Just imagine the envoy is slowly backing away from you the entire time the conversation is going on and you only notice right at the end when they try to assuage you that nothing is wrong.

Also a brief diary on Distant Worlds Stars for this week. Not much about the upcoming features but there is a hint that changes to strategic resources is coming with the next patch.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Come on Paradox, we've been there before...

(none of these outcomes were good, the box is clearly lying)

That second bug is hilarious though. Just imagine the envoy is slowly backing away from you the entire time the conversation is going on and you only notice right at the end when they try to assuage you that nothing is wrong.

Also a brief diary on Distant Worlds Stars for this week. Not much about the upcoming features but there is a hint that changes to strategic resources is coming with the next patch.

Lots of new event chains, unique systems, and a few new leviathans?

Hell yeah

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hope they work that amazing bug into the game legitimately somehow

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'm real horny for this update. We just started a weekly game and now I kind of want it to be over so we can start a new one when Niven drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Invictus posted:

I hope they work that amazing bug into the game legitimately somehow
Shy Molluscs are now up with President Fleet Consciousness in bugs that should not have been fixed.