Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Enourmo posted:

Bypassed the heater core, luckily the hoses are up top on Crown Vics. Hmm, the hoses are kind of kinking to make the bends into the bypass fitting, better loosen the other ends and turn them so they're less stressed. Oh, this one twisted free pretty easily, guess this won't be too shhhhHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTT

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKK

GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM

:stonklol:

I hope to God I never have to replace my car's heater core.

Guess what has to come out to gain access to it?

The entire goddamned dashboard and center console. Plus steering wheel. And the front seats must come out too, for clearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Yeah, good times with that stupid plastic manifold.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

GOT TAGS ON IT (the $500 1996 ranger)

Then I celebrated by going to a pick n pull JY and getting
-cluster surround (mine has rusty screws run through it holding the light switch I guess)
-airbox to throttle body pipes, including MAF and IAT sensors (the valve cover breather nipple is snapped off mine)
-battery hold down
-stock jack handle, cause why not
-spare wheel that I'm missing (tire is junk tho) plus the missing bolt for the spare wheel holder
For $85. Just the intake piping is $99 on eBay, so I'm pretty happy with that. I should have showed up in the crappy truck, not my shiny work truck....I think he charged me what he knew I would pay :v: .

I wanted a windshield surround trim, but it appears it's supposed to be installed with the windshield... So that's either not happening or not unless I make a friend with someone who can do that without risking my good glass.

ExecuDork posted:

I would also like to know more about this, because (aside from colour) it looks pretty similar to my pink-in-certain-light Ranger. What engine have you got?

It's a 2.3/5 speed 2WD. The best drivetrain, IMO. I had the same truck in a single cab circa 2004 and I always liked it. That little motor will spin up far more than it should.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Less 'did today' and more 'started down a deadly path to a money pit' today.

Acquired a stock GM LSA blower and begun the process of slowly grabbing the bit's i need from wreckers and such to throw this thing onto my LS3 HSV Clubbie. This will almost certainly be a tale of "free things cost the most money" but i'm way too dumb to fully accept that now. Unit appears to be fine, just needs some new couplers.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Enourmo posted:

oh christ oh no

please tell me there's a cheaper fix than buying an entire new goddamn intake manifold

please

Look at it this way... the intake was going to crack around the thermostat housing in a few days/weeks anyway, if it hasn't already.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Dorman makes an updated intake manifold and they're so good that I already have it (apparently). Some police departments put them on as a matter of course.

This. One thing that Dorman got right.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Guess what has to come out to gain access to it?

mr2?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

STR posted:

One thing that Dorman got right.
I've been very impressed by Dorman so far. I have bought exactly one Dorman thing, but it worked out so well I have to credit them for it.

My Ranger's heater wasn't working. Air was blowing, but temperature control was stuck at "slightly warmer than outside" and this became a problem in winter. The blend door had broken, and I *thought* I'd need to take apart the entire dash to get to it, and replace the entire box (and probably other parts of the heater at the same time). But, when I went to Rockauto this Dorman blend door kit popped up, for like $10. They'd put together a kit that contained the new door (about 6 x 4 inches) plus some adhesive metal tape and good instructions. I pulled out the passenger seat and removed the glove box (both very easy), then cut out the bottom of the box the blend door sits in. It's thin plastic, and my box-cutter got through no problem. Pulled out the old door, which had broken where its axel fits into the motor, which sits on top. Getting the replacement door in was tricky but I got it after about 10 minutes of cursing and sweating, and then taped the removed plastic cut-out piece back into place. I had to stop repeatedly to guzzle water, but by the end I had trapped a tiny piece of July inside my truck. I let a little of that July out a few weeks ago on a cold day and it was lovely.

Dorman found a good solution to a problem that saved me a ton of time and money. So I like Dorman.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Rotated tires and installed Rally Armor mud flaps on my sons 05 Impreza RS last night. He seems to think it's faster now.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
The mud flaps are a small HP boost per wheel.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Especially if they're red. Are they red?

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Red letters, black flaps, blue Subaru

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Meydey posted:

blue Subaru

Well duh

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BRB flushing my 08 P71's cooling system :stonk:

Already did it on mine. Was in good shape anyway, thankfully.

Enourmo posted:

oh christ oh no

please tell me there's a cheaper fix than buying an entire new goddamn intake manifold

please

Yep. Buying a *used* manifold. Don't think you can replace that hose barb. I mean, you could try yanking it out and threading the plastic for pipe, but, *it's plastic*.

Dorman makes an updated intake manifold and they're so good that I already have it (apparently). Some police departments put them on as a matter of course.

The later cop cars, and I think eventually all of them, came with the one with an aluminum water crossover, but that's not Enourmo's issue. His busted at the other end, and it wasn't even the plastic bit!

edit: oh hey! page 427. Big Block Chevy time!

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 2, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Yep. Buying a *used* manifold. Don't think you can replace that hose barb. I mean, you could try yanking it out and threading the plastic for pipe, but, *it's plastic*.

Worse yet, it's old plastic that has been exposed to hot coolant and underhood temperatures. The part that didn't break is nearly as brittle as the part that did.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Eh, just JB Weld it..oh, umm

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

STR posted:

GF's ride.

:words:
e: learned to keep a pair of M8-1.25 bolts handy to pop the drums off. Seems to be a common size for that; I grabbed a pair of grade 5s from Lowe's to pop them off, and I'm sure I'll need them on my car soon enough.

Yo, dumb question but is that a Mazda 2? If it is, can you measure the overall length of the rear stud for me? I desperately need that measurement to get these ARP studs I have cut to length. If it's something else, no worries!

Good tip on the M8 bolts either way.

Edit: Just noticed purchase year around 08, probably not a 2. Nevermind!

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 3, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's an 05 Toyota Matrix that she bought new.

Toyota sells the Mazda 2 as rebadged Yaris iA (and before that, Scion iA); finding info on those is probably going to be easier than the 2.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 3, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I only learned of the Toyota Matrix's existence when we rolled up on a crashed one (well, "rolled up on" is the wrong term, I've told the story before but they were right in front of us when the driver lost control on the freeway at speed and slid across five lanes of traffic into the only tree that exists on the 202 San Tan between Chandler and Gilbert) one day, therefore my entire knowledge of them begins with that.

I believe that wrecked one is an 05 as well.

Also, the ambulance we had that day had two shop numbers: the fleet shop 91911 (pretty lucky number I'd say), and the city-specific shop of 269 (nice). I chose it repeatedly so I could come up on the radio every shift with, "This is PMT 315, in shop 2...69 <partner says "Nice." in the background>, phone xxx radio xxx..." etc etc. The headlights on that truck were so dim, even after complaining to the mechanics, that we literally taped the wired spotlight to the passenger mirror mount with the button held down. On the way back from San Luis one night the bezel to the spotlight melted and it disintegrated all over the highway.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 3, 2018

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

MC Hawking posted:

Yo, dumb question but is that a Mazda 2? If it is, can you measure the overall length of the rear stud for me? I desperately need that measurement to get these ARP studs I have cut to length. If it's something else, no worries!

Good tip on the M8 bolts either way.

Edit: Just noticed purchase year around 08, probably not a 2. Nevermind!

Just use open ended lug nuts?

Also arp now makes stock length studs in a lot of applications. They have 4 lengths for Subarus.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 3, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I only learned of the Toyota Matrix's existence when we rolled up on a crashed one (well, "rolled up on" is the wrong term, I've told the story before but they were right in front of us when the driver lost control on the freeway at speed and slid across five lanes of traffic into the only tree that exists on the 202 San Tan between Chandler and Gilbert) one day, therefore my entire knowledge of them begins with that.

I believe that wrecked one is an 05 as well.

There's still a lot of them on the road in TX, but they're basically a Corolla wagon. Hers is the base model with no options except for AC and a CD player.

The Pontiac Vibe was built side by side with it, and in typical NUMMI fashion, it's the same car with GM HVAC and a GM radio (just like the Corolla and Prizm). Not as many on the road (I don't think they sold as well), but they didn't hold their value nearly as well (because GM), despite being essentially a Toyota.

How bad was the driver hosed up in that? I know you posted about it before, but I don't remember the post.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

jamal posted:

Just use open ended lug nuts?

Also arp now makes stock length studs in a lot of applications. They have 4 lengths for Subarus.

I mean, I can cut the capped lug nut(s) I have now and just go that route but it'd look stupid. I'd rather do the job right. ARP doesn't make lugs in the correct length for the 2, but they make the correct diameter for the front and rear stud mount holes. It's a Miata part, unsurprisingly.

I'm aware that the Yaris iA is a 2 sedan, I just haven't done any digging to see if there's cross compatibility in parts and honestly, I wouldn't even know where to begin finding a measurement.

Thanks anyway! :)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MC Hawking posted:

I mean, I can cut the capped lug nut(s) I have now and just go that route but it'd look stupid. I'd rather do the job right. ARP doesn't make lugs in the correct length for the 2, but they make the correct diameter for the front and rear stud mount holes. It's a Miata part, unsurprisingly.

I'm aware that the Yaris iA is a 2 sedan, I just haven't done any digging to see if there's cross compatibility in parts and honestly, I wouldn't even know where to begin finding a measurement.

Buy a stock lug stud and measure it? Hell, see if a local auto parts has one in stock and borrow it to measure? Measure what's on the car sticking out and just add that to the knurled portion (do you not have the car at hand?) Look up the part number, then see if one of the manufacturers has a more comprehensive listing with all the measurements (a lot of them do on bolts and studs like that.)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MC Hawking posted:

Nobody suggested cutting your lug nuts. You must really want to cut something. :v: You can buy open ended ones that look not hacked up.

Why do you want ARP studs in the first place? Usually people buy them because they're stronger, yes, but also when they're fitting wheels with a different offset/spacers and need the extra length.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 3, 2018

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Uh yeah you don't have to cut anything, just go to a parts store and get some basic lug nuts with open ends.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You cant prove any of those are open ended. :colbert:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You can because of the lighting.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
The wheels I got with the car don't allow for standard open ended acorn nuts and local parts stores don't carry studs (front or rear) for Mazda 2s. I got ARP studs because I had the parts numbers for those from the previous owner and the factory manual doesn't have the OEM parts number. Last time I dug around online only one vendor carried the stock ones and they're like $8 shipped for a $5 stud.

Full length arp studs are to long to use the skinny style of lug nuts these wheels will allow for, so it's either cut the end caps or cut the stud to length.

I've already pulled and replaced one bad front stud, but to measure the rear I'd need to pull the drum and I don't have an impact. Also the stud(s) on the rear that need replacement only have one or two more wheel removals before the threads are utterly hosed, so I can't go all willy nilly.

It's entirely academic at this point since my garage is full of woodworking projects and my recently deceased step dad's crap so...

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

MC Hawking posted:

The wheels I got with the car don't allow for standard open ended acorn nuts and local parts stores don't carry studs (front or rear) for Mazda 2s. I got ARP studs because I had the parts numbers for those from the previous owner and the factory manual doesn't have the OEM parts number. Last time I dug around online only one vendor carried the stock ones and they're like $8 shipped for a $5 stud.

Full length arp studs are to long to use the skinny style of lug nuts these wheels will allow for, so it's either cut the end caps or cut the stud to length.

I've already pulled and replaced one bad front stud, but to measure the rear I'd need to pull the drum and I don't have an impact. Also the stud(s) on the rear that need replacement only have one or two more wheel removals before the threads are utterly hosed, so I can't go all willy nilly.

It's entirely academic at this point since my garage is full of woodworking projects and my recently deceased step dad's crap so...

Couldn't you just install the studs, run an open lugnut onto it, mark it, and then cut it off with a cutoff wheel? You'd need 1 open lugnut.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm guessing aftermarket wheels where the OE lug won't work.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm guessing aftermarket wheels where the OE lug won't work.

what I'm saying is get one open lugnut that will fit (or cut just one), then thread it on to the long studs to where it needs to be. Mark the studs. Then you can cut them off to length.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Does anyone get nervous when their basic maintenance was too routine?

I changed the oil and rotated the tires and now I feel like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WatQeG5fMU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

always. I always think, "that was too easy." I'm just waiting for things to spontaneously combust.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

EvilBeard posted:

always. I always think, "that was too easy." I'm always just waiting for things to spontaneously combust.

oh god this every single time. unless i bust my knuckles or something is a royal PITA

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MC Hawking posted:

This says entirely too complicated for what you're trying to do. Call any mazda dealer and ask for the parts department and ask for a part number. They will tell you and attempt to sell them to you if you are interested. Otherwise, you have the part number which you can google and buy online. If it's only sold as an assembly, they'll tell you as much.

Can you show a picture of these wheels that somehow don't allow an open ended lug nut? This makes no goddamn sense. Unless there's some cover over the lugs or something.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Probably something that requires splined lug nuts.

Open ended splined lugnuts are out there, though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 3, 2018

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

This says entirely too complicated for what you're trying to do. Call any mazda dealer and ask for the parts department and ask for a part number. They will tell you and attempt to sell them to you if you are interested. Otherwise, you have the part number which you can google and buy online. If it's only sold as an assembly, they'll tell you as much.

Can you show a picture of these wheels that somehow don't allow an open ended lug nut? This makes no goddamn sense. Unless there's some cover over the lugs or something.

Well I'm a big dummy because not only did I not consider doing that, but I hadn't even thought about the hub being sold as as an assembly.

Which it is. Which explains why I could only find one vendor for the studs by themselves and why the PO had figured out you can use ARP studs for a Miata, ostensibly to save money. Studs which I purchased several months ago. :shobon:

Edit: splined lug nut is the correct term for what I'm trying to describe too.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 3, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Wasabi the J posted:

That's how I feel when I merge a code feature branch, build QA, and mark the story ready for QA.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Wasabi the J posted:

The day I changed the oil for the first time after installing a fumoto valve. I kept checking the oil level periodically for several weeks after thinking there was no way it was that easy.

Also ... a year after I bought my car (it was 4 y/o at the time) my wife gave me a blackhawks license plate cover and she suggested I put it on. I broke the head off the rear license plate bolt on my 4runner and had no luck drilling/removing it. It was rusted into the threaded hole. I accessed it from the rear interior panel, used vice grips and threaded it the rest of the way through but it got stuck and I ended up snapping the threaded nut (which was welded to the metal hatch) off. So now I had a hole in my car and no way of securing my license plate. Ended up getting new hardware and JB welded a new nut into place which worked for a few years. I saw some rust forming on the new bolt the other day so I figured I would take preventative measures to put new clean screws in. I hear the threaded nut fall into the bottom of the hatch and now that hole is staring at me again. More JB weld and we were back in action. I will get a new one welded eventually but holy gently caress ... a license plate bolt. gently caress the midwest and lovely rust. So happy I moved.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Gotta represent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Well that's pretty loving cool.

One of our family friends had an original non-kit cobra and he took me for a ride in it when I was like 12 years old. I will never forget that sound and the feeling of being pushed back into the seat and the tires squawking as he shifted into 2nd and 3rd gears.

He had a float plane (they lived on a lake) and took me up for my first flight. I even flew for a hot second.

His garage was something like 4-6 stalls and absolutely showroom pristine, not typical of someone who does their own wrenching. He had a lift, rows of tool storage, literally everything you could wish for in a garage. I'm pretty sure he was a pilot/owned a business.

At the time, I was more into the motorcycles. He had an original triumph Bonneville, an old ducati cafe bike, the shelby cobra and an older porsche 911. Last time i was over there (15-20 years ago?) he was building a Norton dominator and I wanted it baaaaadly.