Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Paramount's Heathers TV show has a new release date (July 10th) but we'll see if they actually do it this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mameluke posted:

The man writes entertaining, idiosyncratic TV that he's passionate about, and he's cultivated a stable of actors who take parts in his productions because he's making them. It's absurd to paint him as some dilettante when he scratched out three gorgeous seasons of Hannibal on increasingly smaller budgets, to the point where he paid for the Siouxie Sioux song in the finale out of pocket. The projects that he's on are usually extraordinary because of his influence.

He’s a brilliant writer and producer, but he’s famous for making really frustrating logistical decisions on set, like changing scene orders and adding unscripted scenes. These things can add hours on to a shooting day, where every additional shooting hour can add tens of thousands of dollars to the bottom line in it and penalties. Usually a line producer or upm can reel in an ambitious director, but because he’s an EP on all his shows, he pulls rank on everybody but the studio heads. Add on top of that that crews working 16-18 hour days make more mistakes and suffer more burnout and it’s no surprise his shows come in over budget all the time

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

muscles like this! posted:

Paramount's Heathers TV show has a new release date (July 10th) but we'll see if they actually do it this time.

Isn’t that during a time when US schools are out, so can’t be shot up? Smart.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lelandjs posted:

[Edit: actually are royalties a thing with Netflix-exclusive shows? like $0.003 cents every time an episode is streamed? I guess probably not...]

Netflix doesn’t pay royalties at all and the networks are very very excited to follow in their footsteps

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Are they changing the pilot at all? Because the pilot was so much better than the trailer for the series it wasn't even funny. The trailer was absolute gash but the pilot was so very

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

lelandjs posted:

[Edit: actually are royalties a thing with Netflix-exclusive shows? like $0.003 cents every time an episode is streamed? I guess probably not...]

It used to be, that's how Netflix started its streaming model. Then it went to hard caps, as in "we'll pay you $x every time a show / movie is streamed, up to a certain point, then we pay you nothing until the deal is up." Then Netflix switched to "we'll pay X dollars for Y content for Z amount of time, take it or leave it."

That's a large part of why Netflix's streaming library is a ghost of what it used to be.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Isn’t that during a time when US schools are out, so can’t be shot up? Smart.

:lol::lol::lol:

That's shameless.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
It reminds me of how they had to keep pushing back the start date to the USA show Shooter back in the summer of 2016 because they couldn't go a week without breaking news of yet another mass casualty event.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BrandonGK posted:

It reminds me of how they had to keep pushing back the start date to the USA show Shooter back in the summer of 2016 because they couldn't go a week without breaking news of yet another mass casualty event.

Speaking of shows delayed by mass shootings, I honestly feel like the bomb guy in Punisher was supposed to be a spree shooter in the original draft and was changed because of all the spree shootings. Why the hell else would bombings make a pro-gun control politician become involved in the plot? It felt really crowbared in there.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So the Avatar: The Last Airbender Blu-Rays are our today at Best Buy (June 6th for all the other retailers). Now, I don’t have the greatest A.V. setup ever—a $60 Samsung Blu-Ray Player plugged into a $300 Insignia TV—but this is easily the best ATLA has ever looked. It’s an upscale, but a really good one, with none of the deinterlacing or haloing issues that plagued the previously available SD versions (DVD and streaming). I didn’t buy the iTunes HD versions, so I don’t know how they compare, but if you’re a fan dropping $40 for the Blu-Rays is a no-brainer.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 2, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are the ATLA/Korra people working on anything right now?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Are the ATLA/Korra people working on anything right now?

Nothing TV related. Brian’s writing a YA series and Mike was supposed to have put out a graphic novel but it hasn’t happened yet.

Which is a shame, you’d think that Netflix would throw piles of cash at them to make a new (non-Avatar, natch) series but I think after the way Korra was treated by Nickelodeon they’re not interested in running another series. A lot of ATLA alum are working on Voltron, which I should probably watch one of these days.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

One of them is writing a Korra comic. Only 2 of 3 have been released so far. And yeah Korra is confirmed lesbian or at least bi.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So I decided to watch The Leftovers and why the gently caress was everyone down on the first season? It's amazing.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, season one is phenomenal.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I honestly think it's the best season of the show, though there are a few in the second season that I think are in the same ballpark. The Matt episode in Season 3 is ace too.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 2, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's a tossup between 1 and 3 for me, for sure. Though 2's highpoints are loving phenomenal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

whowhatwhere posted:

So I decided to watch The Leftovers and why the gently caress was everyone down on the first season? It's amazing.

esperterra posted:

Yeah, season one is phenomenal.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I honestly think it's the best season of the show, though there are a few in the second season that I think are in the same ballpark. The Matt episode in Season 3 is ace too.

BOW BEFORE YOUR PROPHET, MY CHILDREN

which is to say, thank you!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Since Netflix pays actors shitloads of cash up-front I would assume there are no royalties. It would run completely contradictory to their entire business model.

If they're SAG-compliant they have to pay residuals. That's what the 2007 strike was about.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

whowhatwhere posted:

I was not ready in season 1, feeling like someone just after the Departure took place, wondering what the gently caress was going on and being scared, frustrated and confused.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

CeeJee posted:

I was not ready in season 1, feeling like someone just after the Departure took place, wondering what the gently caress was going on and being scared, frustrated and confused.

Same, didn't love the first season when I watched it for the first time. Now that I have rewatched the entire show I really, really loved it.

Anyway, Lindsay from You're the Worst is on La to Vegas :woop:.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

So the Avatar: The Last Airbender Blu-Rays are our today at Best Buy (June 6th for all the other retailers).

Cool, I didn't, know this was happening. Won't let me ship it though, oh well, I guess I'll wait until June.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Leftovers is too loving sad

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I intensely disliked every single character in Leftovers S1.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

lelandjs posted:

So the Avatar: The Last Airbender Blu-Rays are our today at Best Buy (June 6th for all the other retailers). Now, I don’t have the greatest A.V. setup ever—a $60 Samsung Blu-Ray Player plugged into a $300 Insignia TV—but this is easily the best ATLA has ever looked. It’s an upscale, but a really good one, with none of the deinterlacing or haloing issues that plagued the previously available SD versions (DVD and streaming). I didn’t buy the iTunes HD versions, so I don’t know how they compare, but if you’re a fan dropping $40 for the Blu-Rays is a no-brainer.

These won't be region free, right?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People like to talk about how Leftovers s1 was just totes misunderstood by peon scrubs at the time or whatever but honestly the first half of that season is still as overly self-satisfied and full of annoying motivations etc as it ever was. The Matt episode is the best example because compared to the ones from seasons 2 and 3 it really does lean SO HARD on “look! it’s a parable! this is like something from the bible! get it? it’s biblical! it’s like the bible!!!!!!” whereas the other two actually feel like a person doing things.

Second half rules though

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I also liked the season much more when binging it over a week. The week long pauses when it first came out were too long for me to really get invested in the characters.

I still think season 1 was the weakest of the bunch, but not to the point of it being bad. Th later seasons were just so good. Easily in my top 3 shows of all time.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PriorMarcus posted:

These won't be region free, right?

There isn’t a region listed on the box, so they might be region free?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reminder that Colony S3 starts tonight. It's on at the same time as two other shows I watch so I guess it'll just go into the "watch tomorrow" bucket. This season is where they're really shaking things up as they've left LA block and we'll finally start to see more of the outside world.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Reminder that Colony S3 starts tonight

gently caress yeah, thanks for the heads up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Reminder that Colony S3 starts tonight. It's on at the same time as two other shows I watch so I guess it'll just go into the "watch tomorrow" bucket. This season is where they're really shaking things up as they've left LA block and we'll finally start to see more of the outside world.

Awesome, ended up being a surprise favorite of mine. Probably won't see it til tomorrow either.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They also moved production from LA to Vancouver. Hopefully they'll be able to keep up their high standard because it has always been a pretty good looking show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Peter Jacobson playing varying levels of sleazeball is one of the best parts of that show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheDCUniverse/status/991761898822488064

quote:

The service, which has yet to announce a launch date, is described as “a first-of-its-kind, immersive digital experience designed just for DC fans.” And, as part of subscribing (for an as-yet-unannounced price point), you’ll get “unlimited access” to its exclusive original series. Those being Titans, Young Justice Outsiders, and Harley Quinn

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Something about s2 of Colony didn’t vibe as well with me as s1 did, but looking forward regardless.

Episode 1 is available online to watch already. Presumably on USAs site.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
One of the producers of Marco Polo is suing Harvey Weinstein as he apparently sexually assaulted/raped her over a period of 5 years, including when she was working on the show. :smithicide:

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/991485606739021824

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also I hope this is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H14tqKZYhgg

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Someone should make a Cobra Kai thread.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Jubs posted:

Someone should make a Cobra Kai thread.

When's it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003