Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Some other choice screengrabs from it:

The new FOV compared to the rift:

The mechanism inside:

An example of it focusing on a near object:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Clip of the relevant section someone choppily captured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM7aviAhxG4

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Oculus' research in their blogs has been multifocal stuff for a while, but this prototype is varifocal. It uses motors to adjust the focal distance. It also appears to be using eye tracking to identify where it should focus the display.

I have no idea if multifocal is where they want to eventually go or if this is a compromise for price / weight / etc. Multifocal seems to require a much bigger lens component.

Super cool though, I can't wait.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tom Guycot posted:

Some other choice screengrabs from it:

The new FOV compared to the rift:

:prepop: looking forward to seeing where this goes as it approaches production readiness

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That’s fuckin incredible, wow. For everyone yammering that VR is DOA, we’ve seen incredible progress in just a couple years.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
That's really impressive. Since they are doing eye tracking, are they going to do higher resolution with Foveated rendering? Also, any word if the next gen rift is still going to be using usb cameras for tracking?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Santa Cruz is still the best chance for mainstream vr I think, and considering the advances they're making (including that 140 fov jesus) I'm expecting them to knock it out of the park with it. Super excited.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A good reminder that VR tech is advancing so rapidly it almost doesn't even make sense to release another consumer headset right now.

As much as I want a CV2...

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Also, Abrash you sneaky bastard and your 5 year prediction....

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I'm interested in how they kept the weight comparable to the current Rift with all that added mechanics inside...

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

jubjub64 posted:

I'm interested in how they kept the weight comparable to the current Rift with all that added mechanics inside...

This is CV2 material, no room for a battery in that.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

rage-saq posted:

This is CV2 material, no room for a battery in that.

Not sure I catch your meaning, are you saying there is a battery in the current Rift?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

jubjub64 posted:

Not sure I catch your meaning, are you saying there is a battery in the current Rift?

No, but there is in the Oculus Go and this forthcoming Santa Cruz. This seems different than the Santa Cruz.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
drat that looks impressive!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Please stop, I can only cum so much.

I guess the prototype can use eye tracking to see where your eye is heading towards (I believe it's already been said that once your eye starts moving, gaze tracking can look at the rate of acceleration to figure out where you eye will land before it gets there). So if the motors are fast enough, they can tell which object your eyes are about to land on and pre-focus on it by the time you're there? Only tricky part would be if you look right at the edge of a close object.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
God drat, I want this device. Get hosed Vive Pro.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

The mechanism inside:

Half Dome is cool as hell and its exciting to see some of this stuff bubble up enough to be public! Fixed focal setups are poo poo for me and I can't wait until multi/varifocal becomes a base feature for all HMDs.

Tom Guycot posted:

Also, Abrash you sneaky bastard and your 5 year prediction....

It doesn't seem fair that Abrash gets to make 'predictions' on Friday and then goes into work on Monday and sets the research agenda too. Having your thumb in the scale takes out some of the guesswork!

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 2, 2018

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
This is all very exciting stuff, I can't wait to see where this technology gets taken.

I picked up a Vive a month ago and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. Beat Saber is an incredible game and I'm eager to see it expand.

I wish there were more full fledged games, The Gallery was touted as one of the best adventure games out right now for VR, and it was pretty good, but the first episode only lasted an hour and I haven't picked up the second one yet because of how short this first one was.

If anyone wants to toss some recommendations my way, I'd love to hear them, this is what I have picked up so far:

Beat Saber
AudioShield
Subnautica
Superhot VR
Space Pirate Trainer
Fantastic Contraption
The Gallery Ep1: Call of the Starseed

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Oculus needs to put little fans inside to cool your face so the lenses don't fog up.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Fano posted:

This is all very exciting stuff, I can't wait to see where this technology gets taken.

I picked up a Vive a month ago and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. Beat Saber is an incredible game and I'm eager to see it expand.

I wish there were more full fledged games, The Gallery was touted as one of the best adventure games out right now for VR, and it was pretty good, but the first episode only lasted an hour and I haven't picked up the second one yet because of how short this first one was.

If anyone wants to toss some recommendations my way, I'd love to hear them, this is what I have picked up so far:

Beat Saber
AudioShield
Subnautica
Superhot VR
Space Pirate Trainer
Fantastic Contraption

Thumper, while not really a VR necessary game, has probably gotten the most playtime out of my Vive so far. Compound is great too if you can deal with locomotion, but it is just a simple demo. That being said, I’ve gotten more playtime out of said demo than I’ve gotten out of Superhot VR, soooo…

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Did anyone ITT splurge on the Vive Pro?

Like most people I can't justify it but I am curious if the resolution improvement is noticeable.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
If Oculus can put all that tech into cv2 along with 4k per eye, at a price point below 1000 dollars inclusive motion controls then they will have the market cornered.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

What options are there for someone who wears glasses using the Rift? My brother will be coming by next week to try my rig out and I don't want my lenses to get all scratched up :ohdear: I'll happy pickup something to make it easier for him.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Arrath posted:

What options are there for someone who wears glasses using the Rift? My brother will be coming by next week to try my rig out and I don't want my lenses to get all scratched up :ohdear: I'll happy pickup something to make it easier for him.

I have glasses and haven't scratched the lenses.but I push my glasses towards my face just before my eyelashes touch to make sure that doesn't happen.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Fano posted:

Beat Saber
AudioShield
Subnautica
Superhot VR
Space Pirate Trainer
Fantastic Contraption

Get Sairento VR, which is basically a VR First-person Devil May Cry in future Japan. Easily my favorite VR game so far.

If you own Payday 2, it has free VR DLC and maintains cross play with the standard version. It's a blast. It's often on sale for next to nothing.

Racket Fury is a table tennis sim that needs more love. It's one of those games you can have someone play to give them an idea of how cool VR can be. Getting decent enough at simulation mode to actually win a match feels incredibly satisfying.

House of the Dying Sun is a short but fun space combat game that is much more accessible than something like Elite Dangerous (which is great, but not a pick-up-and-play arcadey game).

Project Cars if you like racing games and want serviceable gamepad support. Gorgeous graphics if you have a beefy video card.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

jubjub64 posted:

Their optics tech has come a long way. The newer optics are better and, more importantly, lighter than the CV1 optics.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Shine posted:

Get Sairento VR, which is basically a VR First-person Devil May Cry in future Japan. Easily my favorite VR game so far.

How much content does Sairento have? All the gameplay videos I’ve seen look fun, but relatively samey. Are there many levels / enemies to spice things up? Or is it more or less just one or two different skins of an area and waves of sameish enemies spew in?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

smoobles posted:

Did anyone ITT splurge on the Vive Pro?

I ended up pulling the trigger anyway will hopefully arrive this week. Someone else in the thread already has it. The resolution improvement is supposedly good, but more importantly, screen door is greatly reduced.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Shine posted:

If you own Payday 2, it has free VR DLC and maintains cross play with the standard version. It's a blast. It's often on sale for next to nothing.

Racket Fury is a table tennis sim that needs more love. It's one of those games you can have someone play to give them an idea of how cool VR can be. Getting decent enough at simulation mode to actually win a match feels incredibly satisfying.

House of the Dying Sun is a short but fun space combat game that is much more accessible than something like Elite Dangerous (which is great, but not a pick-up-and-play arcadey game).

Project Cars if you like racing games and want serviceable gamepad support. Gorgeous graphics if you have a beefy video card.

If you like House of the Dying Sun I wholeheartedly recommend you also get Everspace, not least because you get a rather good 2D game out of it in the bargain :v:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

New VR good.

Beat saber also good.

Anyone have issues with stuttering on the most recent SteamVR beta and Win10? Reverting to stable seems to have resolved it for now. I also recommend you sweet goons put down a yoga mat or something for when you get a bit overzealous on ducking a orange block in BS. I did a “combat kneel” and drat near broke my knee.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Also I said I'd review the revolve thing, so here goes, short version is, it's great when it works, but the developers apparently have tiny heads :v:

Slightly longer version, I've been using it for about 3 weeks before I broke it 2 days ago due to said head size issue, and it was really good and comfortable to wear, despite being a tight fit for me. If you don't have a giant head and you don't have the deluxe vive strap yet it's definitely worth getting IMO, but get a local shop to 3d print it for you, it's probably cheaper that way, you can download the models from revolve page iirc.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Truga posted:

I ended up pulling the trigger anyway will hopefully arrive this week. Someone else in the thread already has it. The resolution improvement is supposedly good, but more importantly, screen door is greatly reduced.

My personal bugbear now that I have the deluxe strap is god rays. They're so awful, much more noticeable than the screen door. I remember reading the Pro doesn't improve that, though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I only ever notice those in elite, because well, it's bright things on a dark background. In everything else it's fine IMO.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Warbird posted:

Anyone have issues with stuttering on the most recent SteamVR beta and Win10? Reverting to stable seems to have resolved it for now. I also recommend you sweet goons put down a yoga mat or something for when you get a bit overzealous on ducking a orange block in BS. I did a “combat kneel” and drat near broke my knee.

April Win10 update and newest Beta here and it seems about the same. I get issues once in a while and have to back out.

WMR controller vibrators work now, so that's cool.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Really great to get a glimpse of what FB/Oculus are working towards for gen 2. I wouldn't imagine a mechanically actuated varifocal system like that would be particularly practical for deploying in a consumer model but who knows, maybe they could make it robust enough for years of use.

Most important to me is that they have managed to make a big improvement on FOV in that form factor with their lense tech - although from those photos it does look like they may still be working on getting the distortion down to acceptable levels. That kind of FOV increase + a big resolution bump would probably be enough on its own for me to shell out for a CV2, but it definitely seems likely they're going to want to include hand tracking, and maybe inside-out tracking for the HMD too.

Exciting times!

Fano posted:

I take it you've checked out the Oculus store games like Lone Echo (consistently voted the best singleplayer VR game so far, not that long but certainly significantly longer than The Gallery etc.)? Other more substantial singleplayers include Mage's Tale (~20hrs), Arktika.1, Wilson's Heart, The Invisible Hours, Chronos (gamepad only, but it's excellent), Fallout 4 VR, Skryim VR, etc.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CodfishCartographer posted:

How much content does Sairento have? All the gameplay videos I’ve seen look fun, but relatively samey. Are there many levels / enemies to spice things up? Or is it more or less just one or two different skins of an area and waves of sameish enemies spew in?

A lot. Once you finish the story (which ive never even touched still), theres like "levels" of maps which are basically just levels redone with random goals. Kill X, Survive Y. So if you're not bored of playing similar styled levels and stuff, you could pretty much play it forever. They also seem to keep adding things. Its really a great game.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

El Grillo posted:

I take it you've checked out the Oculus store games like Lone Echo (consistently voted the best singleplayer VR game so far, not that long but certainly significantly longer than The Gallery etc.)? Other more substantial singleplayers include Mage's Tale (~20hrs), Arktika.1, Wilson's Heart, The Invisible Hours, Chronos (gamepad only, but it's excellent), Fallout 4 VR, Skryim VR, etc.

I haven't browsed the Oculus store, actually, I was unaware that there was a storefront other than steam for Vive games, I'll take a look.

I have Skyrim VR because my roommate wanted to try it, but I've never played Skyrim so I didn't wanna jump into the VR version, wasn't my style of game outside of VR so I didn't think there was much to it here.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Fano posted:

I haven't browsed the Oculus store, actually, I was unaware that there was a storefront other than steam for Vive games, I'll take a look.

I have Skyrim VR because my roommate wanted to try it, but I've never played Skyrim so I didn't wanna jump into the VR version, wasn't my style of game outside of VR so I didn't think there was much to it here.

I wasnt into the normal one either. Worlds super cool though and you can just get lost wandering around to be honest.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EbolaIvory posted:

I wasnt into the normal one either. Worlds super cool though and you can just get lost wandering around to be honest.

Agreed, this is why I’ve put so many hours into it. A good stack of mods can really take your experience above and beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Fano posted:

Beat Saber
AudioShield
Subnautica
Superhot VR
Space Pirate Trainer
Fantastic Contraption

In addition to whats been mentioned, if you're looking for a good VR adventure game, check out "obduction". Its from the makers of Myst, and is really quite the adventure, fantastically done. I've heard theres some so so performance on low end hardware though, unless they've done some performance improvements.