Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, the trick is there's no right way to hold it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I re-installed Windows 10, because it opened a box from itself saying my disk wasn’t compatible with Windows 10.

So I installed from a USB and it has hosed up and put the bootloader on the USB somehow. The computer won’t boot unless I select the USB from the boot menu but then my installed copy of Windows starts instead of the recovery.

I have no idea and have not been able to fix this with any amount of BCD or bootrec or anything.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao. that's impressive.

did you dick around with the efi bootloader or your partition table or something?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

there is an issue with word 2016 that results in incredibly slow, laggy text entry in some documents (it's not the cursor animation), evidently it's been around for years now and there's no published solution for it. the amazingly useful MVP community always goes through a list of voodoo bullshit that ends in "well, maybe re-install windows"

gg microsoft

i was gonna edit your post and be all like :words: but it's just universally applicable so gently caress it

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

at least it's an easy fix, go find whoever manages the update server and beat them senseless with a coffee mug

Person who manages the update server will rightly ask why your stupid server was requesting the update

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Partycat posted:

I re-installed Windows 10, because it opened a box from itself saying my disk wasn’t compatible with Windows 10.

So I installed from a USB and it has hosed up and put the bootloader on the USB somehow. The computer won’t boot unless I select the USB from the boot menu but then my installed copy of Windows starts instead of the recovery.

I have no idea and have not been able to fix this with any amount of BCD or bootrec or anything.

reinstall and read the poo poo you press during next installation

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Millstone posted:

Person who manages the update server will rightly ask why your stupid server was requesting the update

do you know how wsus works?

the package he's talking about isn't an "update" in the sense that it's updating a thing already installed, it's an additional software download packaged as a feature update. it doesn't get deployed unles you approve it, or in this case have no wsus, automatic update approvals and selected to receive optional updates the same way you receive critical updates

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 2, 2018

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Partycat posted:

use Rufus for making usbs it just works op

pram
Jun 10, 2001
when i was installing windows 10 it literally wouldnt install unless i disconnected all my other disks

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

protip: dont install woindows

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its good advice

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I disconnected them all before installing, and removed all partitions on the SSD before clicking “new”. As best I can tell it did not actually create an EFI partition for some reason, just an extra one ~500MB containing an empty file named recovery.txt

Since the USB is now hosed I guess I’ll build a new one and try again

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SupSuper posted:

my computer suddenly has a oem partition even though this is a custom-built pc :shepface:

On a regular install on an UEFI system, Windows creates three partitions: A Recovery partition, an EFI partition and the system partition. What you experienced is likely a common problem with the April update where the Recovery partition gets assigned a drive letter. You should be able to remove the drive letter assignment pretty easily in Computer Management.

Partycat posted:

I disconnected them all before installing, and removed all partitions on the SSD before clicking “new”. As best I can tell it did not actually create an EFI partition for some reason, just an extra one ~500MB containing an empty file named recovery.txt

Since the USB is now hosed I guess I’ll build a new one and try again

Sounds like you're installing in MBR ("legacy") mode. Disable legacy boot in your BIOS and convert your disk to GPT using the terminal in Windows Setup.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 2, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

If you're using the legacy BIOS bootpath for the installer MBR is all you get.

You have to use an EFI bootpath to install for a GPT partition scheme (and for EFI GPT is all you get). Note that the Media Creation Tool may create an NTFS USB installer, and your system's EFI firmware may read this, but only FAT32 is mandated by UEFI standards.

Your best bet may be to simply format your USB stick or SD card or whatever FAT32 default no active/bootable/whatever flags, just copy everything over from your Windows ISO, and go.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 2, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

If you're using the legacy BIOS bootpath for the installer MBR is all you get.

You have to use an EFI bootpath to install for a GPT partition scheme (and for EFI GPT is all you get). Note that the Media Creation Tool may create an NTFS USB installer, and your system's EFI firmware may read this, but only FAT32 is mandated by UEFI standards.

Your best bet may be to simply format your USB stick or SD card or whatever FAT32 default no active/bootable/whatever flags, just copy everything over from your Windows ISO, and go.

Boiled Water posted:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Boiled Water posted:

also works, as long as you use one of the 'for UEFI' partition schemes instead of 'for BIOS or UEFI-CSM'

(windows 7 requires CSM enabled in firmware to boot as a UEFI/GPT OS, but use 'for UEFI' anyway)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 2, 2018

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
nvm

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
smh if you don't have an elaborate pxe boot server with every os available on your home network

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Fame Douglas posted:

On a regular install on an UEFI system, Windows creates three partitions: A Recovery partition, an EFI partition and the system partition. What you experienced is likely a common problem with the April update where the Recovery partition gets assigned a drive letter. You should be able to remove the drive letter assignment pretty easily in Computer Management.
haha nope

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you can do it with diskpart from the command line

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
or you can just ignore it. who cares if you got an extra drive letter now. how many times are you looking at it in an explorer window

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

anroid l-

oops

windows lol

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SupSuper posted:

haha nope

lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Microsoft: or you can just ignore it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Partycat posted:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

carry on then posted:

Microsoft: or you can just ignore it

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

you can do it with diskpart from the command line
it comes back on reboot

anthonypants posted:

or you can just ignore it. who cares if you got an extra drive letter now. how many times are you looking at it in an explorer window

thanks for the cj but i just did the smart thing and rolled back this garbage

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wish you would roll your computer into a landfill

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

anthonypants posted:

solution: remove its drive letter

although it doesnt seem like there is that option for him. every time it's done that to me that's what i've done.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

SupSuper posted:

it comes back on reboot

lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

SupSuper posted:

it comes back on reboot

code:
diskpart
select disk 0
list part
select part [450mb one]
remove letter=F
exit
might need to flag the partition as system too

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 3, 2018

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
https://twitter.com/mannedavid/status/992093707930255360

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
got a notice in my operation system today, may 4, that the terms of use have changed as of may 1 https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=866262

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

too much stuff on his desktop so windows gave up

a good feature imo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

update to the april creators thing, and i must say im actually surprised. the only settings that did reset for me were

1) wifi hotspot poo poo
2) default video player
3) auto sign-in after update/restart
4) less (but still plenty) privacy poo poo under "windows permissions" than i expected (including "feedback" frequency)
5) contact privacy
6) search permissions & history

pram
Jun 10, 2001

winows lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

update to the april creators thing, and i must say im actually surprised. the only settings that did reset for me were

1) wifi hotspot poo poo
2) default video player
3) auto sign-in after update/restart
4) less (but still plenty) privacy poo poo under "windows permissions" than i expected (including "feedback" frequency)
5) contact privacy
6) search permissions & history

lol

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Updated to 1803 and the only thing that reset was the power because I'm not poo poo at computers

Fight me

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Updated to 1803 and the only thing that reset was the power because I'm not poo poo at computers

Fight me

calm down there einstein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Potato Salad posted:

Fight me

yeah well you still have windows installed you idiot