Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Burn it all down, commenceons la 6eme republique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

HookShot posted:

Burn it all down, commenceons la 6eme republique.

But then you'd have to update the lyrics of Que Marianne était jolie.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Et dans la colonne des moins https://www.marianne.net/societe/quand-l-universite-de-nanterre-accueille-une-conference-contre-l-imperialisme-gay

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Toplowtech posted:

Dangerously dumb, if you want to get a nationality you could at least try to not make the officials felt insulted by refusing to touch their deadly deadly man hands. At least she didn't get the 7500€ fine.

I don't know what's the problem here, I always thought being rude was supremely French? :confused:

Anyway, this should be more seen as all French people involved in this scandal immediately getting their Frenchness taken away and given to this woman.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Libluini posted:

I don't know what's the problem here, I always thought being rude was supremely French? :confused:
No, darling, French-ness imply a docile submission to the authority figures of the Republic, she was in a long line of people who only had to shake hands quickly with the bored state representative to be done with an ever more boring administrative affair, she made them LOSE time over religious bullshit of all thing what an unfrench thing to do. Great way to gently caress the day of the people behind her in that line too. That yes, was pretty Parisian.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ideally the hand shake ceremony would be upgraded to involve a gay, a jew and a woman to increase detection.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 29, 2018

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Speaking of idiotic wastes of time and money:

https://twitter.com/Brevesdepresse/status/990500822306914306

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Une certaine classe?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

I honestly cannot bring myself to give a poo poo about the PIR, it’s literally less relevant to French politics than LO, but it’s funny to see how much of a scarecrow it has become to the conservatives and the anti-antiracist crowd.

Oh no a nobody talked in front of a handful of leftists in a blockaded university, better write an article in Marianne, maybe also a Question au Gouvernement to address this horrible breach of the vivre-ensemble

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^^^Well yeah all they concretely manage to achieve is feeding the fachosphere media platform. Also what a great name.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Une certaine classe?
Scolaire ou d'age, je suppose. I was born in the year that didn't have to do both the military service nor whatever they invented after to replace it. The day of whatever of citizenship.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 29, 2018

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Toplowtech posted:

^^^^^Well yeah all they concretely manage to achieve is feeding the fachosphere media platform.

I honestly doubt we'd notice any difference if the PIR didn't exist. The fachosphere exists to go insane about crazy/violent leftists. It's like Fox News or those tabloids in the UK.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

I honestly doubt we'd notice any difference if the PIR didn't exist.
Of course they would find another insanely stupid subject to whine about, it's just PIR are their current best provider of news. Ca nous change des idiocies sur les Roumains.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 29, 2018

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Is this actually happening?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Are they seriously going to spend 2.4-3.1 billion Euros on a one-month national service gig? :psyduck:

Found this on the twitter:

https://twitter.com/LePoint/status/990598830843355136

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Are they seriously going to spend 2.4-3.1 billion Euros on a one-month national service gig? :psyduck:
For total insane bullshit, they always manage to find the money that they can't find for the hospitals.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 29, 2018

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Or the universities.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
How else are they going to get enough people to hunt refugees crossing the alps?

This is how Hannibal happened in Italy and France is smarter than that.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

HookShot posted:

This is how Hannibal happened in Italy and France is smarter than that.
My favorite part of that whole nonsense, was the sign they put in the snow "you won't make europe your home" because you know the Italian side of the border isn't also in Europe.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 29, 2018

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This article makes me laugh way more than it should: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43941146?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
bonne fête du travail

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
aucun étudiant ici?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
As someone in a country that recently had a presidential election where the only decent candidate(s) didn't make it to the final two (the US) and whose election choices were between one of two evils, France has my infinite sympathy. Unfortunately, France chose the ever so slightly lesser of two evils while the US flat-out went for the Sith lord with obvious personality disorders and a murderous temper.

Replace the tree and make the president disappear instead.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Some say this face is the last thing you see before you die.

Edit: Link to the article, for the masochists among us.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 2, 2018

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

gently caress
i was not prepared for his face right in the middle of my lunch break

POS is gonna remove the exit tax, gently caress him

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Sorry about that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
as always i'm woefully uninformed about whats happening in this country, whats the exit tax

edit: how do yall stay informed anyway

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 2, 2018

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There's an explanation:

quote:

L'étiquette "président des riches" ne semble pas près de s'estomper. Le chef d'Etat a déclaré dans un entretien accordé au prestigieux magazine américain "Forbes" – dont il fait la une – qu'il supprimera dès l'an prochain l'exit tax, instaurée en 2011 sous la présidence de Nicolas Sarkozy.

Cet impôt avait pour objectif de freiner l'exil fiscal, notamment en Belgique. Souhaitant éviter une fiscalité qu'ils jugeaient trop lourde, nombre d'entrepreneurs français qui voulaient vendre leur société choisissaient de vivre à Bruxelles, car celle-ci n'impose pas les plus-values réalisées lors de la vente d'entreprise.

Or, depuis l'instauration de l'exil tax, ces entrepreneurs ne peuvent plus échapper au fisc français. Ils sont ainsi redevables d'une taxation calculée sur les revenus qu'ils tirent via des obligations, des actions ou encore des participations dans des entreprises qui versent des dividendes.

Cette mesure fiscale vise depuis le 1er janvier 2014 les contribuables détenant un patrimoine en actions et obligations supérieur à 800.00 euros ou détenant au moins 50% du capital d'une entreprise.

Dans cet entretien, le chef d'Etat, présenté par le magazine comme "le leader des marchés libres" estime que l'exit tax "envoie un message négatif aux entrepreneurs en France, plus qu'aux investisseurs".

""Pourquoi ? Parce qu'elle implique qu'au-delà d'un certain seuil, vous allez être pénalisé si vous quittez le pays.""

Il poursuit, jugeant cette situation "problématique pour nos propres start-ups, parce que la plupart d'entre elles, considérant la France moins attractive que l'étranger, ont décidé de se lancer de zéro depuis l'étranger rien que pour échapper à cette taxe".

"This [INSERT GOVERNMENT PROGRAM HERE] is less than 100% effective, let's get rid of it instead of trying to improve it" :shepface:

Not to mention how unsurprising it is that a measure to fight tax avoidance implemented by Nicolas Sarkozy would be full of holes. No poo poo.

Kurtofan posted:

Got RSS feeds from a bunch of newspapers and news websites, French and international. Plus Twitter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
On a lighter note:

https://twitter.com/wrongdorey/status/991643891995570177

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There are good reasons to dislike Macron, but you won't find them in a rag owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Equal parts a French politics thread on a dying gay forum, the 5-minute information bits on FIP, and a quick ctrl-tab to lemonde.fr when I'm bored at work

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/EPhilippePM/status/991735928212344836

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Taxation to me has always shown the inherent flaw of capitalism, putting aside the albatross wherein it encourages people to be greedy, sociopathic dicks. Rich fuckers hate paying taxes because heaven fore-loving-fend that they show any social responsibility to the people from whom they made all of their money, so countries, states, provinces and other municipalities lower taxes to attract "innovation and investment" so that rich fuckers will "create jobs", which of course means that they come in and grossly underpay their workers while making huge piles of money and putting far too little of it back into the infrastructure that allows them to exist. Naturally, this causes budget shortfalls which either lead to huge cuts in social services, further immiserating the proles, or you jack up tax rates on people who aren't able to hide all of their money in Luxembourg, which takes what little they have in the first place.

Did I mention that capitalism is shite?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Me in this thread: is my French really that bad or are they really doing/saying that?

(it's both)

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He's that Australian PM who wanted to ban cryptography because math must obey the law too

e:

Ha ha, gently caress australia

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 3, 2018

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
This came up in the libertarian thread, which could use some new life if anyone fancies a trip over to it, but I'm going to cross-post here because I feel it's appropriate given that Macron le minable and Forbes, which has all of the journalistic integrity of a version of the Torah penned by Hitler, are convinced that France's problems are due to far too much worker dignity obstructionist government policies. I refer you to this article.

For those of you not familiar with it, George Mason University is a public (this is important for irony points) university located in the state of Virginia, USA. Besides an impressive run in the NCAA basketball tournament a few years ago, they are mostly known for an economics department that one can trust for unbiased research as much as one can trust a starving fox to guard the chickens. The econ department there is given huge amounts of money by ultraconservative organisations, the most prominent of which is the Koch family. These lovable humanitarians worship Ayn Rand and genuinely believe that they were born with the divine right to kill poor people for sport and resent the government for stopping them from doing so.

To summarise the article, a "professor" at George Mason did some intense research where he openly admitted that he was going to find quantifiable evidence that government intervention hurts the economy. Putting aside his total lack of objectivity, he amazingly admitted after great effort that he found no correlation. That's the amazing part. The funny part, assuming that you laugh every time that you throw up your own stomach, is that he remains solidly against government intervention in the economy and is sure that only the free market can solve the problem of rapidly dropping "economic dynamism", which I'm sure by pure coincidence has closely correlated with the massive deregulation that really kicked off during the Reagan and Thatcher era.

I'm going to end this jaunt as talking about it makes me genuinely ill, but I felt it appropriate given recent events.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

unpacked robinhood posted:

He's that Australian PM who wanted to ban cryptography because math must obey the law too

e:

Ha ha, gently caress australia

I feel we could find common ground with our attitudes towards politicians and media.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Les forces de l'ordre pourraient bientôt recourir à des "marqueurs chimiques" pour identifier les fauteurs de troubles.

quote:

Le principe est simple. Mêlés au gaz lacrymogène ou à l'eau des canons, ces produits pulvérisés à distance se déposent sur la peau et sur les habits. "Ensuite, il n'y a plus qu'à faire passer les individus soupçonnés sous une lampe à ultraviolet qui fait apparaître les traces éventuelles de PMC qu'ils portent sur eux", explique-t-on à l'Institut de recherche criminelle de la gendarmerie nationale, qui planche sur cet ""ADN scientifique".

Les marqueurs sont de parfaits mouchards. D'abord, ils ont la mémoire longue puisqu'ils persistent trois à quatre semaines sur la peau et même plusieurs mois sur les vêtements en dépit des lavages. Ensuite, ils s'immiscent partout : "Les 'black blocs' ont beau s'équiper de pied en cap, avec lunettes, cagoules et gants, puis se changer très vite pour se fondre dans la foule, il suffit que quelques centimètres de peau aient été en contact avec les PMC pour qu'il soit possible de les confondre ultérieurement", précise à L'Express un expert du maintien de l'ordre. Enfin, les PMC ne se trompent jamais, car le codage propre à chaque marqueur est unique.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ACAB

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
This works because water cannons and gas are highly precise, only those actively doing 'bad things' will be targeted, and in no way will anyone standing nearby, legally protesting, will be contaminated. Water and gas know if you're naughty or nice.

No way poo poo like this can get blindly approved, can it? Can it?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

rgocs posted:

No way poo poo like this can get blindly approved, can it? Can it?!

Gérard Collomb is in charge of the police. He probably read about it and literally did this:

In non-lovely news, donations to keep the rail strike going topped a million euros.