Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I like to play as malevolent idiots because it's got some fun character moments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
truly, art mirrors reality

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I like to play as idiot paladin types generally. My fallback npc personality is ‘friendly but aggressively useless’.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

fool_of_sound posted:

What system are you interested in?

For GMing? Dungeon World, Blades in the Dark, and I’m not sure what else. As a player, the previous two and maybe also 5e or a retroclone or something. I see a lot of Monsterhearts games, but I don’t really find that interesting.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Martin Snazz posted:

Show us on the doll where the Swedish publisher touched you.

That's a real lovely joke to make given that one of the only things nuWhite wolf's actually published for the WOD is a reprint of a book collection edited by a convicted pedophile, and not only did they not include any disclaimer or apology to his victims they made his name more prominent on the cover and added a story by Ericsson featuring deathless prose about a penis at "Full rear end rape stiffness."

Martin Snazz posted:

I mean, it's not Onyx Path, with their baked-in Rape Charm Set for Exalted 3e, so they can still reach for those stars.

Surprise! As you can see, they already have.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

truly, art mirrors reality

Play what you know!

Serf
May 5, 2011

my default npc personality is "retail worker who wants to not be having this conversation"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Plutonis posted:

I like to play as malevolent idiots because it's got some fun character moments

I mean, I'm not going to lie: that's part of the reason I like doing it. I'm a shy, overly nice, almost-doormat person in real life so acting like a hyper-confident pompous dickwad is a bit cathartic.

Moriatti posted:

I tend to have cartoon characters because funny voices are easy and characterization beyond 3 things is hard.

If you define cartoon characters as over-the-top and simple, then all my NPCs are those too.

Also, I recently got a complaint from a player that all my voices sound the same so he can't tell when I'm in and out of character lol. Funny enough, I never got this complaint before so this is a new one.

I also was recently told my voice is soothing. So, not sure what that means.

Countblanc posted:

i don't GM a lot but my NPCs tend to end up a lot like my PCs - loud, dorky in a cute way, generally happy people-persons who end up as the straight man more often than not. I don't think I've ever played a jerk or evil character on either side of the screen in over a decade

It's pretty easy to be a jerk. Just stop caring about other people's feelings and do what you want.

What do you mean by "dorky in a cute way"? And how do you make sure your players want to fight your villains?

Yawgmoth posted:

I generally have a pile of ready-made NPC outlines on hand for when I need a quick personality to throw in front of the players. It's little more than a grid of name/race/class/quirk; everything else is determined on the spot as necessary. It's really handy when you just need someone for the PCs to interact with.

Edit: lol holy poo poo if martin snazz isn't actually martin ericsson and/or another zak s sockpuppet I would be mildly shocked at this point

That's really cool. But, unfortunately, I have this chronic problem where I think deciding on the name of an NPC or reading more than 2 pages of the setting is too much prep work (I wish I were joking) so I don't know if I can implement that.

Really cool idea, though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Covok posted:

That's really cool. But, unfortunately, I have this chronic problem where I think deciding on the name of an NPC or reading more than 2 pages of the setting is too much prep work (I wish I were joking) so I don't know if I can implement that.

Really just grab your name generator of choice and tell it to make 20 names, then find a similar generator for personality quirks et al.

Or just have this handy page on hand. I like to poke it a few times and save the more amusing ones to said NPC sheet, but firing blind works too!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Serf posted:

my default npc personality is "retail worker who wants to not be having this conversation"

please stop playing self-inserts

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Covok posted:

It's less work than coming up with everything on the fly :v:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Pollyanna posted:

It's less work than coming up with everything on the fly :v:

Not necessarily. You'd be surprised how good I am at generating things on the fly.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Maybe I am the true lazy one...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Covok posted:

It's pretty easy to be a jerk. Just stop caring about other people's feelings and do what you want.

What do you mean by "dorky in a cute way"? And how do you make sure your players want to fight your villains?

basically any character from a comedy anime

well villains are a bit different but my games have generally had pretty light tone in the first place so most of them end up being more like wrestling heels more than anything. still loud, still dorky.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it should be noted that i don't think i've ever GMed a game for people who didnt already want to fight bad guys to begin with so it's been pretty easy for me.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I just GM most of the time so I don’t think I have a preferred PC. :shrug:

A lot of them have been fast-talking trickster types at any rate.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bedlamdan posted:

I just GM most of the time so I don’t think I have a preferred PC. :shrug:

A lot of them have been fast-talking trickster types at any rate.

Well, this was about NPCs and what you find you default to.

Martin Snazz
May 15, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

That's a real lovely joke to make given that one of the only things nuWhite wolf's actually published for the WOD is a reprint of a book collection edited by a convicted pedophile, and not only did they not include any disclaimer or apology to his victims they made his name more prominent on the cover and added a story by Ericsson featuring deathless prose about a penis at "Full rear end rape stiffness."

And this book was put out by the Paradox White Wolf? Link, please.

As far as I have read, the Paradox White Wolf has published literally zero products, the first of which is being solicited for an August release.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Martin Snazz posted:

As far as I have read, the Paradox White Wolf has published literally zero products, the first of which is being solicited for an August release.

They did release a pair of interactive fiction pieces, including one written by known serial harasser Zak S, which included an overly sexualized trans woman who murdered people who disagreed with her, who just so happened to have the same name as a well known trans woman game designer.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Martin Snazz posted:

This is hardly a "magnum opus," sparky. This is literally "the very first products from a newly established company" and includes a high end artisanal release for the serious collectors. For me, the important thing to take away from this initial announcement is that these books are actually going to show up in your FLGS, something that Onyx Path was unwilling to bother with. And being that these announcements are also filtering through ICV2, the trade magazine, this is an official solicitation in the industry, rather than some guy in Pennsylvania shrieking into the void.

Insofar as "everything that has been presented," I can only laugh. An art-free alpha preview has zero to with the the polish of the finished product, and since no one (that I have seen here) has had a beef with the rules presented, I'm guessing this is where the exhibited disdain is cropping up from. I feel about this much like I felt about the art-free alpha preview that FFG posted for L5R - it's a sampler for the fans to bitch about, but otherwise, it's not much to go on for the final layout.

And well, given the track record of Swedish RPG publications... I don't see too many people complaining about the quality of Tales from the Loop, Symbaroum, Coriolis, Trudvang, Mutant: Year Zero, Kult, etc. If nothing else, the Paradox White Wolf is going to have to live up to the standards set by the other Swedish RPG companies. And well, they recruited Ken Hite and Mark Rein-Hagen to develop it, and we all know those guys suck, right?

Yeah, it looks a lot like I'm carrying water for this company. From where I'm standing, I'm waiting to see how if they actually fail to deliver, rather than deciding - based on close to zero evidence, past a single press release and an alpha playtest document - that it's totally going to suck and everything is ruined forever and such as. But until August comes, all of this is rank speculation, rather than reasoned debate.

For what it's worth, I gave Onyx Path every single chance I could, and they managed to disappoint spectacularly.

I can't tell what's better, the fact that you're this salty over someone impugning the honor of Martin "Full rear end Rape Stiffness" Ericsson or the fact that you've been registered here since 2012 and apparently these are your very first actual posts, you going to bat for this.

But anyway, everybody shut up about some dumb Swedish dorkbag for a second because something actually good just came out, namely the the LANCER 1.6 update. This is the first new update to the game in a while because it's been undergoing a substantial overhaul. All kinds of poo poo has been changed, from heat and critical damage to a revision to hacking, consolidating various actions, expanded pilot-scale rules, all kinds of stuff. Mechs now have built-in special systems to further differentiate them and make sticking with a particular chassis more of a consideration. Also there's an entirely brand new lore section that goes into detail on the default setting and also a full-fledged NPC/antagonist chapter with guidelines for putting enemies together.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Covok posted:

This is a question to the fellow GMs out there, but what "character" do you find you default to without trying? Like, when you don't know what to do, what do you end up doing with a person? Why?

I tend to make them an rear end in a top hat, usually. Somewhat because I do feel that most players act like jerks in-universe, with few exceptions, due to the fact that, well, they're real and the NPCs are not, if you follow me. So, I think the jerk response is kind of normal. I also find it helps make the players emotionally invested, even if it is only in desire to get revenge.

In the future, I should probably shy away from it because of the same thing I mentioned earlier: players are real, NPCs are not. First off, this has, very rarely, annoyed some players. Secondly, players will not hesitate to do above and beyond in their revenge, including genocide, because they're real and the NPCs are not.

How about all of you?

I guess to the extent that the NPCs I make have something in common, it's that they tend to start out reasonably amiable and talkative, but have self-centred goals they're not willing to give up on that may conflict with what the PCs want, from the government official who obstructs the PCs because it'd make his department look bad if they were successful, through the treasure hunter who wants to make a name for herself by unearthing ancient artifacts and doesn't care about the dangers their discovery might bring, right up to the alien god that wants to infest the world with its offspring. They don't have any personal grudge against the PCs and are willing to talk things over, but that doesn't mean talking will lead to a result that everyone's happy with.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'm going to assume this isn't :filez: since the game was never released in the US and is out of print in Japan.

https://watsonscan.wordpress.com/2018/05/02/terra-the-gunslinger-junichi-inoue-fear/

Someone scanned Terra the Gunslinger and its only supplement and put them up. Terra is a fantasy wild west TRPG made by the same folks as Tenra Bansho (in fact they created a crossover game with the two later called Tenra War). It uses face cards in place of dice, as well as poker chips to give it a wild west poker aesthetic. The combat is a bit clunky due to a weird damage system, and the amount of poker chips the players and GM have has way too big an impact on certain things, but all in all its got really awesome flavor and some really neat ideas.

Unfortunately it's all in Japanese aside from a few random bits of flavor in English, but the art is nice.

It'd be cool to translate this, but I don't really have the connections to seek the original creator's blessing, and I don't know if the folks who translated Tenra Bansho are interested in turning this into a project. But maybe with the scans floating around someone will eventually decide to take a crack at it.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

I can't tell what's better, the fact that you're this salty over someone impugning the honor of Martin "Full rear end Rape Stiffness" Ericsson or the fact that you've been registered here since 2012 and apparently these are your very first actual posts, you going to bat for this.

It's a hell of a hill to be born/die on.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Martin Snazz posted:

https://www.facebook.com/whitewolfpublishing/posts/10154142133925465

They eventually pulled the linked blog post after enough people made fun of Ericsson's prose style and brought up the pedophile thing, but no it happened, you can stop riding out to their defense.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 3, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

unseenlibrarian posted:

https://www.facebook.com/whitewolfpublishing/posts/10154142133925465

They eventually pulled the linked blog post after enough people made fun of Ericsson's prose style and brought up the pedophile thing, but no it happened, you can stop riding out to their defense.

"Screaming in lust from the concentrated spunk in my groins-blood, the Akalia started to wriggle out of its dirty jeans, still gagging on my bleeding junk. It let go only to suck in air, preparing to turn its centuries-dormant sexual organs into full rear end-rape stiffness."

That's the guy in charge of Vampire 5E in action right there, a man who wrote that and didn't instantly disintegrate out of shame.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That was worse than I expected and I was expecting the word rape.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Hey, so how about that Infinity War or literally any other topic to stop the White Wolf thread leaking into here?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What are the best superhero RPGs besides Marvel Heroic?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Sion posted:

Hey, so how about that Infinity War or literally any other topic to stop the White Wolf thread leaking into here?

Well, I've been flirting with the idea of playing a Final Fantasy Inspired roleplaying game. More as a thought experiment than anything else. Looked at FF d6. It looks like all the FF games are a little disorganized, though. Also, why do none of them use a battle map with a front and backrow for combat? Seems like such an easy thing to just put in.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Why, my unreleased Golden Age inspired PbtA Justice Friends is! /jk

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Covok posted:

Well, I've been flirting with the idea of playing a Final Fantasy Inspired roleplaying game. More as a thought experiment than anything else. Looked at FF d6. It looks like all the FF games are a little disorganized, though. Also, why do none of them use a battle map with a front and backrow for combat? Seems like such an easy thing to just put in.

FFd6 is better than any of the other alternatives because it's incredibly simple and easy to pick up and play.

The downside is that it's not balanced all that well.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Covok posted:

This is a question to the fellow GMs out there, but what "character" do you find you default to without trying? Like, when you don't know what to do, what do you end up doing with a person? Why?

I tend to make them an rear end in a top hat, usually. Somewhat because I do feel that most players act like jerks in-universe, with few exceptions, due to the fact that, well, they're real and the NPCs are not, if you follow me. So, I think the jerk response is kind of normal. I also find it helps make the players emotionally invested, even if it is only in desire to get revenge.

In the future, I should probably shy away from it because of the same thing I mentioned earlier: players are real, NPCs are not. First off, this has, very rarely, annoyed some players. Secondly, players will not hesitate to do above and beyond in their revenge, including genocide, because they're real and the NPCs are not.

How about all of you?

Over the top and gimmicky, and usually dumb as hell. They're not going to exist in-game for long, so if I want them to be in any way memorable I'll try to think up a dumb gimmick for them real fast and stick to it. Maybe they're extremely loud and boisterous and refer to themselves in the third person. Maybe they're exceptionally quiet and shy and have a bit of a thing for guns. At one point I couldn't think of anything, so I just made the dude hung over so he wouldn't actually intrude or talk too much, and "hung over" not only became his gimmick, they loved it. As for "dumb as hell," my games are dumb as hell in general, because life is loving stupid. I also follow the Venture Brothers storytelling vague doctrine of focusing on failure, which I find honestly helps shape things out a LOT. I'm not kidding, one of the easiest ways for me to "get" my own NPC is to think about where they've hosed up and how it's hit them.

Your players are not going to examine your NPCs, and often times you just have one chance to get them onboard with an NPC, so...yeah. Gimmicks and failures work.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm reminded: has anyone here played Tales from the Loop? Any feelings about it? I picked it up a few weeks back and have mostly just paged through. My initial take is that the setting stuff seems fun but the system seems serviceable-at-best -- not terrible, but not inspiring.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
For whatever reason I really like the Jobs systems from FF games. One of my takeaways with old-school D&D is that there are two ways you can go with the classes: either make them as open and broad as possible so that people can do anything with it, or deliberately do a bunch of weird particular ones like the paladin, druid, bard, etc. that imply things about the setting just by being there.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

But anyway, everybody shut up about some dumb Swedish dorkbag for a second because something actually good just came out, namely the the LANCER 1.6 update. This is the first new update to the game in a while because it's been undergoing a substantial overhaul. All kinds of poo poo has been changed, from heat and critical damage to a revision to hacking, consolidating various actions, expanded pilot-scale rules, all kinds of stuff. Mechs now have built-in special systems to further differentiate them and make sticking with a particular chassis more of a consideration. Also there's an entirely brand new lore section that goes into detail on the default setting and also a full-fledged NPC/antagonist chapter with guidelines for putting enemies together.

Lancer 1.6 looks really cool. I'm getting excited about giant robits again :neckbeard:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

I'm reminded: has anyone here played Tales from the Loop? Any feelings about it? I picked it up a few weeks back and have mostly just paged through. My initial take is that the setting stuff seems fun but the system seems serviceable-at-best -- not terrible, but not inspiring.

That's pretty much my impression, yeah. Setting's great (I love that there's a Stepford plot where the solution is to free people with the power of rock and roll and horror movies.) System is ...serviceable's a good way to describe it. I think it's actually an adaptation of the system that's used in Mutant Year Zero, with some flourishes like "PCs don't actually die"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Martin Snazz posted:

It's true, being suspicious of a gaming company that demanded extra transphobia be added to a werewolf supplement and suggested maybe a reprint of Gypsy is a lot like childhood molestation. Oh hey, they even reprinted a fiction collection edited by a child molester.

Martin Snazz posted:

Insofar as "everything that has been presented," I can only laugh. An art-free alpha preview has zero to with the the polish of the finished product, and since no one (that I have seen here) has had a beef with the rules presented, I'm guessing this is where the exhibited disdain is cropping up from. I feel about this much like I felt about the art-free alpha preview that FFG posted for L5R - it's a sampler for the fans to bitch about, but otherwise, it's not much to go on for the final layout.

I was pretty unhappy with the beta rules in Vampire 5e that let you feed on drug addicts and child soldiers who escaped ISIS for wicked buffs. If you went into the actual White Wolf thread they probably have some choice words on the more concrete rules, too.

Martin Snazz posted:

And well, they recruited Ken Hite and Mark Rein-Hagen to develop it, and we all know those guys suck, right?

They kind of do, yes. Ken Hite is famous for his mythos/horror writings in RPGs but he's a pretty insufferable neoliberal republican and Mark is the absolute definition of suck on multiple levels.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 3, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There's going to be a second edition of How To Host A Dungeon, a playtest draft just went up.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+tonydowler/posts/j4euYxVmtRb?cfem=1

Elevator pitch: Play out the backstory of your own Underdark.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Mutants and Mastermi-

oh

oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Martin Snazz posted:

This is hardly a "magnum opus," sparky. This is literally "the very first products from a newly established company" and includes a high end artisanal release for the serious collectors. For me, the important thing to take away from this initial announcement is that these books are actually going to show up in your FLGS, something that Onyx Path was unwilling to bother with. And being that these announcements are also filtering through ICV2, the trade magazine, this is an official solicitation in the industry, rather than some guy in Pennsylvania shrieking into the void.

And well, given the track record of Swedish RPG publications... I don't see too many people complaining about the quality of Tales from the Loop, Symbaroum, Coriolis, Trudvang, Mutant: Year Zero, Kult, etc. If nothing else, the Paradox White Wolf is going to have to live up to the standards set by the other Swedish RPG companies. And well, they recruited Ken Hite and Mark Rein-Hagen to develop it, and we all know those guys suck, right?

Yeah, it looks a lot like I'm carrying water for this company. From where I'm standing, I'm waiting to see how if they actually fail to deliver, rather than deciding - based on close to zero evidence, past a single press release and an alpha playtest document - that it's totally going to suck and everything is ruined forever and such as. But until August comes, all of this is rank speculation, rather than reasoned debate.

For what it's worth, I gave Onyx Path every single chance I could, and they managed to disappoint spectacularly.

Rather than take all day to post this one reply, I'll go back and check the dates and the fulfillment on the Onyx Path Kickstarters that I was part of. Without looking, I think every single one took a minimum of a year and a half from funding to delivery. Exalted was its own particular subset of nonsense on that count, since it looks to have launched the Kickstarter early May of 2013, and the shipping notification was April of 2017.

I guess the question is "How long should a game revision take to bring to market?"

From my own library, I can immediately point to things like the Torg Eternity Kickstarters. The Living Land KS closed at 11:00pm EST, and I had the PDF's for three books on my desktop 14 hours later. Sure, we can debate about the audience of Torg Eternity or the relative merits of the game, but I already have documents in hand to use at my table, TYVM.

Well, if we want to put them up against the previous computer game company that held the White Wolf properties, they've delivered press releases and images for a product. So, there's that.

Again, if August comes and there's nothing on the shelves to buy, you'll be right. Until then, it's all wild speculation.

Was this something from the alpha?

I mean, it's not Onyx Path, with their baked-in Rape Charm Set for Exalted 3e, so they can still reach for those stars.

sir I'm very sorry but the cut-off for hash browns was half an hour ago, you're going to have to pick from our regular menu