Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Be careful last time I suggested cyclists should obey traffic signals at all times I got dogpiled by cycling nerds almost immediately

I don't think it's the end of the world if they break a few laws when safe to do so, but running a red light across a major intersection is basically never safe. Knowing when it's safe to bend the rules requires a level of judgement I don't trust most road users to display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Be careful last time I suggested cyclists should obey traffic signals at all times I got dogpiled by cycling nerds almost immediately
In AI? I'm surprised. We have quite a few cyclists, but not the fuckwit type.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

PT6A posted:

I don't think it's the end of the world if they break a few laws when safe to do so, but running a red light across a major intersection is basically never safe. Knowing when it's safe to bend the rules requires a level of judgement I don't trust most road users to display.

How is that different from a car rolling through a stop sign at an empty intersection or whatever? Just because they're slower and smaller doesn't mean they only need to obey traffic laws when it's convenient for them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InitialDave posted:

In AI? I'm surprised. We have quite a few cyclists, but not the fuckwit type.

Yes but AI is a subset of something awful, which is loaded with fuckwits on all manner of topics. :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The idaho stop, which is what was likely advocated is not that.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

Cyclist is still a loving idiot though. Always assume everything is trying to kill you and loving don't run red lights.

I don't get why cyclists don't do this more often. You're surrounded by ~3500lb boxes of metal that can crush your unprotected bones at any time. Stop for the drat red light and save yourself a bruise or two.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Had the displeasure of driving with a co-worker who believes that if you aren't braking you should be accelerating. Pretty well shot my nerves, and I'd hate to see what he spends on gas.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

sleepy.eyes posted:

Had the displeasure of driving with a co-worker who believes that if you aren't braking you should be accelerating. Pretty well shot my nerves, and I'd hate to see what he spends on gas.
How does he drive on the highway?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I don't want to know.

e: This guy bragged about getting a ticket for doing 80 in a 40. He also runs lights semi-often, or so he says. Wouldn't surprise me. I have no idea what he wouldn't do on a highway.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 3, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

How is that different from a car rolling through a stop sign at an empty intersection or whatever? Just because they're slower and smaller doesn't mean they only need to obey traffic laws when it's convenient for them.

C'mon, can you honestly say you never speed, you never roll a stop sign, you never make a right turn at a "no turn on red sign"? Even if it's 3 am and you're the only car on the road? People are endowed with the capacity for judgement and discernment that 's been given to them by millions of years of evolution, and despite the abundant evidence to the contrary presented in this thread, sometimes that means they're smarter than a sign. Hell, there's a red light near me that sometimes I *have* to run because I forget that one of the two lanes at the light has a defective loop sensor in it, but the other one works, so the light doesn't revert to just being on a timer. And if you get in the wrong lane, it won't detect that there's a car there and you will never get the red, the cycle will just skip you until you either back up and pull over into the lane with the working sensor, or another car shows up and picks that lane, or you just wait until it's safe to proceed and run the red.

Obey traffic laws because it's safer than not. Obey traffic laws because you don't want to get caught violating them. If those two factors aren't in play, then obey them if it's convenient. There's a continuum, and rolling a stop sign in a quiet residential neighborhood packed full of them when there's absolutely nobody affected by it and running a red light that other traffic with the right of way is proceeding through are pretty much at opposite ends of it.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
^^^

My favorites are the red turn arrows where I can't make a turn through a clear intersection but the dude 30' behind me can make a left into the corner gas station.

Those are optional.

Phanatic posted:

Possibly the A-pillar blocked his view. But definitely the cyclist's fault. I saw this almost happen in my neighborhood just the other day. 4 way stop, guy ahead of me had the right of way and his left turn signal on, cyclist coming the other way just blew the stop sign. The guy in the car didn't smack him because he saw the cyclist and fully expected him to run the stop and just let him do it, but he'd have been entirely in the right had he proceeded with his turn and gotten t-boned.

Yeah I once had a similar situation happen to me (I was the truck). I was approaching the intersection on a green, saw the cyclist shoot out from my left into my path of travel, slammed on the brakes and hit my horn.

He showed his gratitude for my saving his life by flipping me off and laughing.

I don't understand people.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 2, 2018

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Phanatic posted:

C'mon, can you honestly say you never speed, you never roll a stop sign, you never make a right turn at a "no turn on red sign"? Even if it's 3 am and you're the only car on the road? People are endowed with the capacity for judgement and discernment that 's been given to them by millions of years of evolution, and despite the abundant evidence to the contrary presented in this thread, sometimes that means they're smarter than a sign. Hell, there's a red light near me that sometimes I *have* to run because I forget that one of the two lanes at the light has a defective loop sensor in it, but the other one works, so the light doesn't revert to just being on a timer. And if you get in the wrong lane, it won't detect that there's a car there and you will never get the red, the cycle will just skip you until you either back up and pull over into the lane with the working sensor, or another car shows up and picks that lane, or you just wait until it's safe to proceed and run the red.

Obey traffic laws because it's safer than not. Obey traffic laws because you don't want to get caught violating them. If those two factors aren't in play, then obey them if it's convenient. There's a continuum, and rolling a stop sign in a quiet residential neighborhood packed full of them when there's absolutely nobody affected by it and running a red light that other traffic with the right of way is proceeding through are pretty much at opposite ends of it.

No, yes, and yes. I speed all the time, but I come to complete stops always, and I've never turned red on a no-turn-on-red.

Also, I'm well aware of the continuum in traffic violations, it's called "the severity of the ticket you get for getting caught."

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I realize i sound like a traffic cop or whatever but disregarding traffic signs/laws when it's convenient and "safe" is an incredibly slippery slope, and a real hard habit to break out of.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

There are a lot of stop signs that really should be yields, arguably most of them, and I'm not going to fault someone for rolling one of those if they do so in an attentive and controlled manner. Same approach I take to speed limits and jaywalking. Do it at your own risk, but don't do it in ways that put others at risk. The law isn't always right, but if you gently caress up while violating it I'm not going to feel bad for you either.

Red lights are different of course, IMO the only time it's acceptable to go through a red light is if you have one of those "loop isn't detecting your vehicle" situations where you aren't going to get a green any time soon. Even in those cases I prefer the tactic of a right-on-red followed by a u-turn.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 2, 2018

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I can’t help but think a lot of problems Americans have with intersections/stop signs etc could be solved with roundabouts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I can’t help but think a lot of problems Americans have with intersections/stop signs etc could be solved with roundabouts.

We're still a relatively young country, give it time. We'll catch up to europe someday.

(all of us in this thread will be dead and not get to see it though)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

I realize i sound like a traffic cop or whatever but disregarding traffic signs/laws when it's convenient and "safe" is an incredibly slippery slope, and a real hard habit to break out of.

But you just said you speed all the time. Why are the traffic laws you obey the really important ones and the ones you ignore okay to ignore? You are engaged in quantitatively different behavior, not qualitatively different.

wolrah posted:

Red lights are different of course, IMO the only time it's acceptable to go through a red light is if you have one of those "loop isn't detecting your vehicle" situations where you aren't going to get a green any time soon. Even in those cases I prefer the tactic of a right-on-red followed by a u-turn.

In the case I was describing, the right turn lane has already peeled off into a merge lane and you made the choice already not to be in that lane. Making a right turn followed a U-turn a half-mile down the road would also be a traffic violation.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...9!4d-75.1652215

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Breaking rules isn't the issue for me. It's people doing stuff that's dangerous, getting themselves hurt/killed, and then other parties being blamed for it. No. You ran that red light. You went up the inside of that truck that was making a clearly-signalled turn. There's too much of an association that vulnerable road users cannot be culpable road users when stuff goes wrong, and I think it's extremely damaging to actually fixing the issue.

A basic rule for life is that a sufficiently stupid decision will kill you. This is especially true on the road. If you're on the road, ride or drive with an understanding of that.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The notion that a sign or automated light knows better than a human being with eyes and a brain to evaluate the traffic situation has always seemed a little weird to me.

The really scary realization is that most people are in fact stupid and oblivious enough that the notion manages to be true.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Phanatic posted:

But you just said you speed all the time. Why are the traffic laws you obey the really important ones and the ones you ignore okay to ignore? You are engaged in quantitatively different behavior, not qualitatively different.

In the case I was describing, the right turn lane has already peeled off into a merge lane and you made the choice already not to be in that lane. Making a right turn followed a U-turn a half-mile down the road would also be a traffic violation.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...9!4d-75.1652215

I never said that just because I speed, it's ok for me to ignore the law. I've gotten a speeding ticket before, and I didn't try to contest it or argue with the cop because I knew I was speeding.

If we're going to get into the individual merit of each traffic violation, the highways around me are the kind of roads where the guy doing 55 in the 55 in the right lane is still getting tailgated, honked at etc. Driving the speed of traffic regardless of limit is a whole can of worms to open up, but it's worth noting that you frequently see cops around here watch whole packs of cars go by at 65-70, waiting for the guy doing 80.

Anyway I'm not sure what this has to do with my original statement of "people on bikes should obey traffic laws just like people in cars."

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Javid posted:

The notion that a sign or automated light knows better than a human being with eyes and a brain to evaluate the traffic situation has always seemed a little weird to me.

The really scary realization is that most people are in fact stupid and oblivious enough that the notion manages to be true.

Sometimes the person who put the sign up has access to more information than the driver who encounters it for the first time in an unfamiliar town.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

nm posted:

Looks like we're not sharing the interbutts with this video anymore.

Luckily the guy with the dashcam sold it to some newspapers :v http://metro.co.uk/video/video-shocking-a1-road-rage-clash-ends-disaster-1680462/?ito=vjs-link

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

People really need more training in vehicle dynamics prior to being allowed to drive.

Also not being an rear end in a top hat, but at least he could have been an rear end in a top hat without losing control all on his own.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I come to complete stops always

The very first ticket I ever got, at the long-ago age of 17 was for a rolling stop, which I really didn't even realize I did until the cop told me (then I thought about it, and yea, I did). I have been very conscious of coming to a complete stop ever since, even though that was 35 freaking years ago.

Sometimes lessons learned through your pocketbook really stick well!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because I'm a passive aggressive dick I come to a complete stop just to annoy the person behind me. It's kind of funny to watch them feather their braking under the assumption I'm going to do a rolling stop, and a fraction of a second before they hit me they realize holy poo poo a complete stop and their bumper dips when they have to drop anchor.

Someday I'll get rear ended for it but it hasn't happened yet.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

The goon who won Talladega on Saturday has un-won it two days later, after failing a drug test:

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/23383493/nascar-issues-indefinite-suspension-spencer-gallagher-failed-drug-test

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Brand new mercedes gls, still had temp plates on, already had scuff marks on the rear bumper from backing in to something. Does one of those snap lane changes 10 feet in front of me to get around a semi truck, floors it, tailgates the first car they encounter, then flips a half used cigarette out the window.

I mean if you're a saudi prince sure you can afford to flay an $80k vehicle like it's disposable but none of them live in suburban chicago. What a loving shitstain.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Phanatic posted:

The goon who won Talladega on Saturday has un-won it two days later, after failing a drug test:

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/23383493/nascar-issues-indefinite-suspension-spencer-gallagher-failed-drug-test

This is why we can't have nice things.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Christ, there goes his career. I wonder what it was, if it was just pot then that's a shame.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Idaho has had legal Idaho stops for more than 30 years and there isn't a bunch of dead people over that.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

nm posted:

Idaho has had legal Idaho stops for more than 30 years and there isn't a bunch of dead people over that.

Neither of the people in Idaho have ever hit each other.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lord Ludikrous posted:

then all the NIMBYs crawl out of the woodwork about how they suck, all while refusing to learn them.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

A big reason that can't just be trained around is the massive amount of property seizure that would be required to put these in most places.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lmao Idaho

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

<:mad:>

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah, let people think Idaho sucks lest it turn into Oregon or Montana.. full of yuppies building their fourth vacation home and making it unaffordable for people who actually want to live there.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's already Boise, back in like 2007 :smith:. I'm from Lewiston, and I hope the paper mill smell keeps people away from my hopeful eventual retirement city. My direct uncle bought land just outside of Orofino for an average $1100/acre, AND got water rights to a stream that nobody had claimed yet, in 2011.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Wait, you WANT to retire to loving Lewiston?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Not necessarily want to, but probably the only place I'll be able to afford when I'm 85.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

That makes more sense.