Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

The Titanic posted:

This is the kind of people who raise their arms to "the cloud" and just know all of life's problems like bandwidth and processing are solved.

Sadly I know several people like this, some of them very influential people. The cloud is a nebulous entity where all problems are solved while simultaneously making everything better, just by purely existing within it.

It's the cloud that the genie rides on, when you rub your magic lamp and he comes out to solve all your networking and scalability problems. It wouldn't be a buzzword if it wasn't literal magic, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

[deleted]

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hahahahaha

Good thing you archived it I guess

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The Titanic posted:

This is pretty much starcitizen_the_dream.jpg.

If someday people realize its stuff like this that will forever keep their game from being anything more than an artists portfolio, it would probably be good.

I genuinely hope the bullet has more vertices than Nathan Drake from the newest Uncharted. I also hope that it forever prevents people from running the game over 20 FPS and also forever prevents more than 16 players from playing together before the server crashes "for some reason".

When will they start selling the customized bullet skins?

Hello Kitty ammo incoming

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

By all accounts, she has earned the right to wax eloquent about the medium. She might not seem like your usual video game philosopher; prior to becoming Vice President of Marketing at Cloud Imperium Games, her work centered on the silver screen.

https://twitter.com/sandigardiner/status/742853960927563776
^^^
Waxing eloquent the medium.

I believe this photo is especially special because it was also from a time when CIG deemed E3 beneath them and vowed they would not go because Star Citizen didn't need its pitiable ways. And the next day Sandi is posting photos of chocobos not having any clue what she's talking about because she is a serious and hardcore gamer.

This was all part of around the time her visage of who she lied to people she was and tried to convince them of was starting to fade away and become quite questionable even by the denizens.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Foo Diddley posted:

It's the cloud that the genie rides on, when you rub your magic lamp and he comes out to solve all your networking and scalability problems. It wouldn't be a buzzword if it wasn't literal magic, right?

I just wish I had a dollar every time somebody came to the "stunning realization" that all their performance issues will be solved by throwing it into the cloud and just clicking some buttons to increase the processors and thorough put.

But I'll give them that. It does solve their problem. For a while. After a while though, they really come unglued. :shrug:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

what are chocobos, but a disgusting nerd's name for a chicken, anyway

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hang on here guys and girls!!!

I got this!

Ready?

waves hands really fast in the air

And there you have it! Easy as pie!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gone but not forgotten :v:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

http://archive.is/5VEdO

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
We've gone way past the general gaming public taking the piss out of CIG's release dates and scope creep, they're actively wrecking Star Citizen's groundbreaking technologies

:laffo:

Star Citizer: procedurally generating procedural generation for every chess move

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
As a coder, I stand aghast at this server meshing business.

CIG: Our servers mesh, and dynamically adjust to focus computing power on smaller areas of space, so that we can have 1,000 multi-crewed high-fidelity ships in a small area.

Me: Dude. Wow, that's impressive technology! How did you make that perform well?

CIG: It's just a marketing idea. But we are confident that our high-turnover crew of cheap recent grads can pull it off.

e: Thanks for the awesome avatar, mysterious stranger!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

That's cute that he tagged the other lesnick, who doesn't work there anymore

Also do you think half the office lets out this huge sigh anytime Clifford tweets?

"aaggh gently caress that bearded weirdo just tagged everyone again"

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 3, 2018

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I recall a tech demo that basically did clustering on players to dynamically shard them onto different servers. They managed to get thousands of players in a tiny space but the obvious downside was that you couldn’t interact with people not in your shard Except for broadcast actions, which is obviously not what these people are expecting.

Likely they’ll try to share ships and different parts of ships and realize they have to make some tough trade offs in fidelity to effectively shard the data

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Quavers posted:

We've gone way past the general gaming public taking the piss out of CIG's release dates and scope creep, they're actively wrecking Star Citizen's groundbreaking technologies

:laffo:

Star Citizer: procedurally generating procedural generation for every chess move

It's the "he gasps real game air into his lungs" line that kills me. loving amazing.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

ryde posted:

Likely they’ll try to share ships and different parts of ships and realize they have to make some tough trade offs in fidelity to effectively shard the data
Given their demonstrable coding prowess, the only "sharding" that will be done will be the server exploding into lethal shards in the attempt to procedurally generate the motions of a whole six, seven commandos trying to get out of the wankpod at the same time.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

ryde posted:

I recall a tech demo that basically did clustering on players to dynamically shard them onto different servers. They managed to get thousands of players in a tiny space but the obvious downside was that you couldn’t interact with people not in your shard Except for broadcast actions, which is obviously not what these people are expecting.

More likely is that they'll just have every server communicating everything to every other server, and won't realize that this doesn't work until players tell them that 4.0 is running at 15 seconds per frame

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

ryde posted:

It's more likely they'll never even start the because "server meshing" coming from these guys is complete bullshit from top to bottom.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/991838593168617472

Openly trolling the backers now. Good idea, CIG.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

G0RF posted:

If every single ship didn't "punch above its weight class", then they'd have to admit that spending more money does indeed get you a better ship, and we can't have that in a game that is definitely not pay-to-win

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

G0RF posted:

all we need now is an AtV that polls the devs who tell management to "keep doing what you're doing!"

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Blue On Blue posted:

That's cute that he tagged the other lesnick, who doesn't work there anymore

Also do you think half the office lets out this huge sigh anytime Clifford tweets?

"aaggh gently caress that bearded weirdo just tagged everyone again"

They probably play a drinking game of it by this point but the twist is he also buys the liqueur

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Foo Diddley posted:

If every single ship didn't "punch above its weight class", then they'd have to admit that spending more money does indeed get you a better ship, and we can't have that in a game that is definitely not pay-to-win

Joe Borscht, Space Sim Comedian posted:

“So CIG, they gotta ‘nuther ship sale coming, right? This one, they say it really punches above its weight...”

(Knowing chuckles mixed with light booing and scattered hisses.)

“Yeah, yeah, same here. So I call Lando up, right? I say “Lando you’re KILLIN’ me here! Come on, you gotta ‘NUTHER ship punching above its weight? What ship DOESN’T punch above its weight?”

He goes, “The ones you already bought!”

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

The Titanic posted:

This is pretty much starcitizen_the_dream.jpg.

If someday people realize its stuff like this that will forever keep their game from being anything more than an artists portfolio, it would probably be good.

I genuinely hope the bullet has more vertices than Nathan Drake from the newest Uncharted. I also hope that it forever prevents people from running the game over 20 FPS and also forever prevents more than 16 players from playing together before the server crashes "for some reason".

It's probably just a looped animation rather than rendering each bullet, even CIG can't be this dumb.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
This is my dream space sim because I want to write the name of my target on a bullet before loading it into my gun and showing them the inevitable consequences of space piracy

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Admiral Bishop will bubble slightly as he parps?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

This is my dream space sim because I want to write the name of my target on a bullet before loading it into my gun and showing them the inevitable consequences of space piracy

all things are possible in the 'verse, friend

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

"It took a long time to find you" said Ursine Catastrophe, plucking a high fidelity bullet from his pocket and loading it carefully into the chamber. With a click the round was loaded into position at a smooth 10 fps.

"Almost as long as it took to etch this just for you. Piracy always exacts a price. Farewell, xXx_420b0nerHitl3r_xXx."

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Gamesguy posted:

It's probably just a looped animation rather than rendering each bullet, even CIG can't be this dumb.

:smuggo:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I hope SC starts selling custom bullets in-game so I can spend the downtime waiting for my ship to respawn etching "Derek Smart" into each and every one

cig intern i hope you're taking notes

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a jagged person so that I could, like the shitizens, believe that the reason some incredible tech has not been developed yet is because nobody has really tried before.

Twitchy FPS MMORPG on a 3D field with huge battles at different gameplay scales? It doesn't exist yet because nobody tried before!

What do you mean that's hard? You only need to add more servers to it. So-and-so said so! Here is the proof it will be done...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Virtual Captain posted:

It's more likely they'll never even start the because "server meshing" coming from these guys is complete bullshit from top to bottom.

Captain, my captain.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I hope SC starts selling custom bullets in-game so I can spend the downtime waiting for my ship to respawn etching "Derek Smart" into each and every one

cig intern i hope you're taking notes

Simpsons did it.

The tech is there CIG, make it so!

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Gamesguy posted:

This always bothers me cause like, why are we using chemically-propelled metal slugs in a future where we can control gravity.

I'm also perpetually bothered that shittezins never correct each other. Where's all the FOR REAL PROGRAMMERS correcting this idiot.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SoftNum posted:

This always bothers me cause like, why are we using chemically-propelled metal slugs in a future where we can control gravity.

easy, they're not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGPIQ72-2Vg

they just make real fake explosion sound effects because space-OSHA demands it

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Gamesguy posted:

Scruffpuff posted:

There are so many clues if you play on the PTU, or watch any of the footage, that this game was created, from the ground up, by people who have no idea how to do this, led by a thumb who actually has negative knowledge of how to do it. I've seen poo poo on the PTU happen that I've never seen before - things break in ways I didn't even know they could break. You watch these little jitters and problems and think "wait, the only way that could happen is if... no, that's can't be it..." but that thought you push back, that thought you can't let yourself have because you can't allow yourself to think they could possibly be that stupid.

They are that stupid.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ryde posted:

They don't expect it because it's not what was promised to them.

Server meshing was supposed to allow all these different servers to still interact with each other seamlessly. So you could, for example, look out the hole in the side of your ship (at this time boarding was still very much real, and you could cut into a ship anywhere and it would be fully realized), through space which is another server, into the hole of another ship and it's crew which is also another server.

But that's not all. You could also shoot other players between different servers. Seamlessly.

Naturally when asked how, Chris had this to say:

waves hands in air

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 3, 2018

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

The warlord only does alts when he's banned. But you already know this... Derek!

As Derek, I can confirm this.

:grin:
^all of this
:bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

to dynamically cut into the side of a ship would it need to be made of like tiny voxels or something?