Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

norp posted:

Well now that prices have pulled back there are also places with holdover high prices

Given the kinds of denialist rent-seeking shitlords that tend to gravitate towards renting out apartments as an income stream, I'm guessing this is realllll loving common occurrence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Ipswich Mayor has stood down and is expected to be expelled from the ALP for using council funds to buy artwork and other upper class decorations.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
is this the one that was just charged by the CCC as well?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yes. Queensland govt is announcing right now it's dissolving Ipswich city council.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Anidav posted:

Yes. Queensland govt is announcing right now it's dissolving Ipswich city council.
good.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Don't stop there

Dissolve all of them

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

asio posted:

Thus triple j becomes the gold standard in youth music and trap is a popular music genre

lol, be older bob

speaking of

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Don Dongington posted:

Don't stop there

Dissolve all of them
Yes this could not possibly have any unintended consequences like State government appointing partisan administrators and running rough shod over due process.

Now instead of regurgitating the now out of date productivity v wages growth graph lets look at recent data:

Or maybe:

https://www.pc.gov.au/research/ongoing/productivity-update/2016/comparing-australias-productivity-performance

Or even:

https://static.treasury.gov.au/uploads/sites/1/2017/08/p2017-t213722-Roundup_Productivity_trends_and_structural_change.pdf

Now after digesting that try and get it to sync with:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/federal-budget-should-go-for-growth/9721964

Yeah, Nah Jennifer you arch-muppet.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

asio posted:

Then the school has a principal who cares more about uniforms than anything else and the kids can't read anyway so what chance do they have learning music

Look, if you're going to be illiterate, and generally fail at all things in life, at least be an illiterate failure who is able to wear a uniform properly. That'll come in real handy in prison.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JBP posted:

Does anyone in Sydney or Melbourne pay less than $200 rent a week? I guess if you're in a shareholder with 4+ people maybe?

You can easily pay less than that if you live in Sydney's western suburbs, you're just a fair drive away from any of the major hubs. Commuting from the Central Coast might be easier.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You can easily pay less than that if you live in Sydney's western suburbs, you're just a fair drive away from any of the major hubs. Commuting from the Central Coast might be easier.

is that like, for a room in a sharehouse? I can't imagine $200 per week renting you anything more than that

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

you cant/wont find a place to rent for $200/wk on your own though. Granny flats and studios are still $350+/wk

there is basically no way to live as a single person in sydney on anything under say 90k/year.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

you can get a shoebox studio place for upwards of 260/w in Melbourne, there's probably stuff on gumtree for cheaper but that'd be dodgier places

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Laserface posted:

you cant/wont find a place to rent for $200/wk on your own though. Granny flats and studios are still $350+/wk

there is basically no way to live as a single person in sydney on anything under say 90k/year.

Yeah, not on your own. Plenty of 2 bedroom places (houses as well as apartments) at that price though, just nowhere near the actual city. It was mostly in response to JBP's comment about sharehouses of 4+ people (which is certainly more the case in the inner suburbs).

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 3, 2018

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The only response to any such claims is "Prove it".

It's not arguing about costs, because everyone knows it's unreasonable. It's like someone saying they could throw a ball into orbit, it doesn't matter how much orbital mechanics you show them, they don't care, the only possible response is "Put up, or shut up".

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Seriously though council responsibilities could be done at a state level with better economies of scale (rubbish collection, parks upkeep, etc).

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The biggest downside I can see right now is that local councils usually tender stuff like plumbing, gardening, maintenance etc to local small businesses, which is good for the area, and good for the businesses as it provides a steady stream of convenient work. It also guarantees a particular level of service, as lovely workmanship in their area of operations is going to harm their reputation and impact their ability to bring in new customers. Sometimes councils grant tenders to large enterprises, or businesses from out of the area, in order to save a small amount of money. This is bad, because it ends up costing the local economy, and usually results in a lower level of service (as these businesses can afford to piss off the local residents if it saves them a few bucks).

Running this stuff at the state level would probably increase this tendency, with the added bonus that the state body is likely to engage with larger, publicly listed companies who largely engage in tax evasion, in order to reduce the logistical overhead of managing multiple contracts.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It also allows fine grained priority. E.g. the state in general needs the road lines repainted, so there's a road painting blitz project, but your lines are fine and you really need play areas for growing family populations and you have to wait for the state priority to reach "parks: playground equipment" on their Todo list.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Also loving lol if you think that higher levels of government are magically less corrupt than local government, they just have more resources to hide it

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

Don't stop there

Dissolve all of them

Calm down, Thanos

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

Calm down, Thanos

Thanos the rich.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/AndrewBurrell7/status/991920914039160832

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian Au posted:

Peter Dutton’s home affairs department has fought against proposed restrictions on a new facial-recognition system, rejecting calls for warrants and a threshold for serious offences that justify use of the technology.

At a parliamentary joint committee on intelligence and security hearing on Thursday the Law Council of Australia raised concerns that facial recognition could be used to prosecute minor crimes such as jay-walking or littering, and even allow creation of a full “social credit” system of government surveillance.

:catstare:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

screaden posted:

lol, be older bob

speaking of

Hmm I feel like listening to Power again this evening.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Black Mirror is supposed to be troubling, but it's a lot less troubling than someone watching Nosedive and taking notes to run their country.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

GoldStandardConure posted:

Calm down, Thanos

Thanos would only dissolve half of the city councils

I see that Australia's co-alignment with China is moving at a rapid pace.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I can't imagine a worse living human being to lord a new panopticon

It's like if Trump invented Bush's/Obama's domestic surveillance network, no preface of altruism or justice with a dumbass paneer of competency, just a statement of weird cruelty

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Cheap Trick posted:

nerd

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cheap Trick posted:

I see that Australia's co-alignment with China is moving at a rapid pace.
Well they did just try to ban Peppa Pig.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Cheap Trick posted:

It's pretty cute that the first big rear end villain of these Disney movies is some nerd who hyperventilates about Third World birthrates, so he can gently caress the grim reaper

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Peccadillo posted:

It's pretty cute that the first big rear end villain of these Disney movies is some nerd who hyperventilates about Third World birthrates, so he can gently caress the grim reaper

"You Avengers don't understand, there won't be enough car parks for everyone!" - Thanos

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Hey auspol, I just got a new job and I wanted to join the union. Does anyone know which is the best union for warehousing in SA? Google just gives me the SDA and they can get hosed.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
"what it does have to do with is a population that is going through the roof, and the fact that space is not as navigable as it used to be "

- Thanos on why it took so many sequels to get here

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

"You Avengers don't understand, there won't be enough cars!" - Thanos

ftfy, based on marvel movies obsession with car related violence

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Thanos has the right ideas.

Everyone who opposes him is simply a negatively geared slumlord/lady.

Yes I'm talking about you Mr Tony Stark. Plus your Avenger friends. I know you spend all your hero wages to fund real estate investments while talking out the other side of your mouths about "saving the world".

More like saving your investment yield due to housing demand.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Sharparse posted:

Hey auspol, I just got a new job and I wanted to join the union. Does anyone know which is the best union for warehousing in SA? Google just gives me the SDA and they can get hosed.

Got a mate working (8 hour shifts, no breaks, 11 days in a row) at Aldi, I checked RAFFWU and they seem to recommend the National Union of Workers. He hasn't contacted them yet AFAIK, so can't give any opinions

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Paingod556 posted:

Got a mate working (8 hour shifts, no breaks, 11 days in a row) at Aldi, I checked RAFFWU and they seem to recommend the National Union of Workers. He hasn't contacted them yet AFAIK, so can't give any opinions

Your friend is working in an industry where the dominant industrial agreements are negotiated on behalf of the employer, not the worker. Good luck.

http://www.sda.org.au/resources/enterprise-agreements/

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Thanos has the right ideas.

Everyone who opposes him is simply a negatively geared slumlord/lady.

Yes I'm talking about you Mr Tony Stark. Plus your Avenger friends. I know you spend all your hero wages to fund real estate investments while talking out the other side of your mouths about "saving the world".

More like saving your investment yield due to housing demand.

The Avengers are a seemingly for profit private military, they are constantly at best:
loving reprehensible

Who does Sam Jackson report to? No human informed democracy, that's a given

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Peccadillo posted:

The Avengers are a seemingly for profit private military, they are constantly at best:
loving reprehensible

Who does Sam Jackson report to? No human informed democracy, that's a given

I like how the moral of the story learned from Avengers: Civil War is that the very idea of accountability for "collateral damage" (aka killing random innocents) is bad and wrong.

I may be going off topic now. This isn't the RLM thread.

Something something the Onion Knight is a crybaby who can't take criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
remember how winter soldier was like 'btw there are super nazis in all the world governments' and then nothing happened with that

such continuity

• Locked thread