Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

JugbandDude posted:

I think Lazrin is Lethality.

His only purpose was to lay brutal takedowns on the warlord. But now his work is done. He can finally rest and enjoy the sunset, admiring his success.

Derek has been banned so long, I bet Star Citizen and all it's problems have been totally solved now!

Boy, I sure am glad all those guys who just knew it in their bones that Derek and goons were up to such no good that so long as Derek was here and active, Star Citizen development was just destroyed. I hope they feel a grand sense of justification that they were 110% right. Star Citizen is now awesome!

To think that all it took was getting the best of Derek to make the dream come true! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Awesome! posted:

to dynamically cut into the side of a ship would it need to be made of like tiny voxels or something?

custom damage states for every place you could possibly put a boarding hole

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
On the case of gameplay vs fidelitous graphics :

Warframe. It is drat good, niche, but the gameplay systems synergize with one another like diablo 3 on steriods. Also the ONLY game that makes you feel like a ninja. Twitch and Youtube videos don't do it justice because its a convoluted mess trying to watch someone playing.

In this game I don't need to care about how awesomely shaded and textured my bullets even are.
I simply use Excalibur.

On the case of chicken vs chocobos (or phat Chocobo)

FFXV. I have been dropping in and out of this game, doing sidequests, exploring and Tomb Raiding to progress the storyline every once awhile and even with all the fidelity, there is so much game at its core. The more I play it, the more I feel like its a modern take on FF7, the locales, the battle system, the world, and graphics. Heck even the NPCs , its like a 3D hi-res version of FF7. Riding chocobos through plains, deserts and grass is just so awesome (at 60 FPS). Now, I can't wait for the remake.

On these 2 terms and how Star Citizen compares?
It simply doesn't. Star Citizen has nothing to separate itself out from being a tech demo to test shaders, graphics, npc simulation, 1:1 First Person / 3rd person representation, shooting fidelitous bullets from the actual gun chamber (and the bullet being an actual individual object in 3D space, lol). There's no story, no progression, no way of understanding underlying game mechanics/world, nothing fun about it at all.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/991838593168617472

Openly trolling the backers now. Good idea, CIG.

Are you joking and faking the tweet or is it real and they are really using these terms that even their own backers are starting to take offense to?

Because if so, good job CIG. You know you have these guys by the balls and ovaries and know you can rub their faces in your mockery and they may just sulk and look stupid, but they'll still lap it all up. Pro tier trolling of your own fan base, acknowledging their advent stupidity while also rubbing their noses in it and knowing they won't stop. :golfclap:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Foo Diddley posted:

It's the cloud that the genie rides on, when you rub your magic lamp and he comes out to solve all your networking and scalability problems. It wouldn't be a buzzword if it wasn't literal magic, right?

The more you rub the harder it gets for your genie to come out and play.

Remember, rub always, but rub responsibly!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Golli posted:

When will they start selling the customized bullet skins?

Hello Kitty ammo incoming

First it will be gold ammo, or something stupid like a pack of 8 one time use missiles for $8 real life money.

You'd have to be loving stupid to think that's logical.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Star Citizen is the purest game there is because you can shoot literal money at other players.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a jagged person so that I could, like the shitizens, believe that the reason some incredible tech has not been developed yet is because nobody has really tried before.

Twitchy FPS MMORPG on a 3D field with huge battles at different gameplay scales? It doesn't exist yet because nobody tried before!

What do you mean that's hard? You only need to add more servers to it. So-and-so said so! Here is the proof it will be done...

That's really the best, most honestly "cute" aspect of Chris Roberts.

It's that he has that innocent ignorance to believe that he's the first one to try anything like any of his ideas before. He probably genuinely thinks he's some kind of video game data scientist who's going to solve all the worlds complex computing and networking problems because "nobody tried before".

Any time somebody says this I feel like it's not that they are a super genius, but it's that they don't really know what the hell they're doing so just don't know the proper term to google and find 200 billion results from billions of other people who not only did it, but wrote it into libraries for every possible language in six thousand flavors and you just pick the one you want to use in your application.

But then it's his child-like ignorance that makes people believe he's a genius. Because you look at the drawing of a 8-year old boys "perfect car" and sure it's got missiles and alien guns poking out of its wheels, and yeah, nobody has ever built one of those yet... so sure, you're a genius little guy.

You're a genius, little buddy. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SoftNum posted:

This always bothers me cause like, why are we using chemically-propelled metal slugs in a future where we can control gravity.

I'm also perpetually bothered that shittezins never correct each other. Where's all the FOR REAL PROGRAMMERS correcting this idiot.

The most exciting part of the worlds Chris Roberts develops is that nothing makes sense and if you stop to wonder why people are manually loading cargo aboard their ship that has literal liquid gravity flowing through ducts so they can harness the amazing power of artificial gravity... you just frown and sigh.

I, personally, think gravity goo is pretty cool. I think they should weaponize it and you can shoot gravity at people and that would be a pretty cool video game mechanic to play around with. Like jumping a long distance, so stick some gravity to the ceiling and you adjusted how gravity flows and suddenly you can jump across that big chasm.

But I mean, that'd be creative in a science fiction environment, in a Chris Roberts game. So... gently caress your ideas. It's space WW2 with grunge and dim lighting and flickering lights and exposed conduits; under which massively under appreciated mega-technology rests but goes entirely ignored.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

The Titanic posted:

It's space WW2 with grunge and dim lighting and flickering lights and exposed conduits; under which massively under appreciated mega-technology rests but goes entirely ignored.

even that could be a cool concept in the right hands

like, if it was intentional

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The Titanic posted:

First it will be gold ammo, or something stupid like a pack of 8 one time use missiles for $8 real life money.

You'd have to be loving stupid to think that's logical.

I take umbrage that they Archered Boeing's design logo for their sperg torpedoes.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
/StarCitizen: Premium CitizenCon Tickets sold out in half a minute

$130 tickets with the close-up view of THE ACTION were gone in a flash. Dolvak scored one and therefore will be out of screaming distance of Erris, who will be raging with bow-tied impertinence from the plebeseats against the travesty of opportunistic whale-gauging.

The Titanic posted:

Are you joking and faking the tweet or is it real and they are really using these terms that even their own backers are starting to take offense to?

The self-parody has now exceeded the speed of satire. Disco “we don’t say ‘sale’ YOU guys say ‘sale’” Lando will be introducing us to 3 variants of this exciting new addition to “punching above their weight” roster of ships.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DapperDon posted:

I take umbrage that they Archered Boeing's design logo for their sperg torpedoes.

The likelihood of Boeing going after them for infringement is pretty slim to none though. It's just another of many instances of "creative failure".

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

The self-parody has now exceeded the speed of satire. Disco “we don’t say ‘sale’ YOU guys say ‘sale’” Lando will be introducing us to 3 variants of this exciting new addition to “punching above their weight” roster of ships.

But which of the three will punch the most above its weight!? :ohdear:

CIG marketing is probably freaking out right now over this dilemma!!! What will they do?!!!

Hint: It'll be the most expensive one.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The Titanic posted:

The likelihood of Boeing going after them for infringement is pretty slim to none though. It's just another of many instances of "creative failure".

I could not care less about that. The lack of a single original thought is what's chafing my rear end right now. Just one more thing to throw on the pile I suppose.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The Titanic posted:

This isn't the first time CIG has used it as a joke. It's a meme, so it's cool and funny now.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

SoftNum posted:

This always bothers me cause like, why are we using chemically-propelled metal slugs in a future where we can control gravity.

They stored all the other projectile technology with the plans for the Roomba, which didn't make it through The Event. It's 800-year-old bullet tech and mops for you, laddie, in this shadowy post-apocalyptic hellscape.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Going to miss the Ben jokes--seems his days in Santa Monica have come to end. :( Here is hoping the next gig is less toxic!

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

The Titanic posted:

This is pretty much starcitizen_the_dream.jpg.

If someday people realize its stuff like this that will forever keep their game from being anything more than an artists portfolio, it would probably be good.

I genuinely hope the bullet has more vertices than Nathan Drake from the newest Uncharted. I also hope that it forever prevents people from running the game over 20 FPS and also forever prevents more than 16 players from playing together before the server crashes "for some reason".

Someday (in game) we will be able to go to a store, look at each box of bullets, choose a box, open it and loving look at each bullet. Pull out some money, count out the coins one by one, and buy the bullets. Then, load them in a magazine one at a time and then put the magazine in the gun. Cock it, and then get shot in the head and have to do this all over again.

What a time to be alive that will be!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

HycoCam posted:

Going to miss the Ben jokes--seems his days in Santa Monica have come to end. :( Here is hoping the next gig is less toxic!

What? I will believe it when I see it. That guy knows where the bodies are buried. Next to the second seat.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

What the gently caress is 'Gish Galloping'. This is something I had never heard until Star Citizen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Titanic posted:

But I mean, that'd be creative in a science fiction environment, in a Chris Roberts game. So... gently caress your ideas. It's space WW2 with grunge and dim lighting and flickering lights and exposed conduits; under which massively under appreciated mega-technology rests but goes entirely ignored.

Its star wars (because that's all some people know of sci-fi) but with everything remotely interesting or original about it sucked out. Just the most absolutely generic sci-fi space war stuff imaginable.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Its star wars (because that's all some people know of sci-fi) but with everything remotely interesting or original about it sucked out. Just the most absolutely generic sci-fi space war stuff imaginable.

”Star Wars? More like Star Bores, y’know whaddimsayin’?”

Joe Borscht, Space Sim Comedian.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

even that could be a cool concept in the right hands

like, if it was intentional

It was called Starlancer.

Sillybones posted:

What the gently caress is 'Gish Galloping'. This is something I had never heard until Star Citizen.

Duane Gish was a creationist who pioneered the technique of simply listing bullshit, knowing that you'll be tied up trying to disprove the lies while he's looking all smug. It's why you get those '101 reasons why evolution doesn't work' and 45 are 'because God'.

Modern variant is the Trump Tirade.

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_z_WOC4IZs

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v32VypWeF0I

Hav fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 3, 2018

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Awesome! posted:

to dynamically cut into the side of a ship would it need to be made of like tiny voxels or something?

Pretty sure there’s deformable mesh tech that can do it. See Red Faction. They likely haven’t engineered the game in such a way that they could implement it in SC though.

Star Citizen is kind of interesting (in a morbid way) because they want to implement a lot of things that, taken in isolation, are doable by skilled developers. But then they try to mash it all together into an engine (and one that isn’t really amenable to customization, if what I’ve heard is accurate).

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Sillybones posted:

It’s a term outside of SC. It involves stacking up tons of arguments and insisting that someone attack each of them. The goal is to make it take disproportionate effort to refute arguments and hope that your audience takes that as proof of correctness. It’s pretty effective unfortunately

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

ryde posted:

It’s a term outside of SC. It involves stacking up tons of arguments and insisting that someone attack each of them. The goal is to make it take disproportionate effort to refute arguments and hope that your audience takes that as proof of correctness. It’s pretty effective unfortunately

There is a fallacy name for that. It's often used in political debates, in wich you have to respond to each points by having an expert view in each field for all of them. And you lose if you can't do it, but you never can because you are not a millenium bottle of knowledge up to date at everything.

Zzr fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 3, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

MASSIVELYOP: Notorious Kiss of MMO Death “Lethality” Named as Playtester of Amazon’s New World

quote:

MMO influencer, fan, and Massively OP reader-slash-heckler Lethality posted publicly to Twitter this morning that he’s playtesting Amazon’s New World.

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/991663064679419904

That’s good news for everyone, of course, and not just for influencers, as it’s another sign the game is not only still in full development but in a playable, or at least demo-able and preview-able, state. And how awesome will it be to not have to keep using the same couple of images to talk about the game? Pretty awesome.

I may have slightly tweaked the headline...

Deekay, from the comments posted:

i do sometimes wonder but…. :PPPPP XD

idk i just looked at his twitter account. 4.5k followers but less engagement than a handful of friendly people shitposting a few days a week over coffee.

google results for “real_lethality (twitch/twitter/youtube)” bring up only his twitter a something awful thread of goons posting SC shill posts, and some reddit posts. youtube and twitch results were all some other games unreleated to him at all.

:discourse:

i mean they probably looked no further than the number of followers he has on twitter if they really think he’s some kind of influencer.

idk how effective a guy who’s primary claim to fame is shilling star citizen on twitter to nearly 4.5k bot accounts but that’s the world we live in apparently.

:vince:

if lethality has a twitch account that he streams from i couldn’t find one.

his whole claim to influencerhood is 4.5~k followers on twitter.

that’s it.

Ihatevnecks posted:

Lethality: “Wildstar isn’t going F2P you’re all idiots.”

Never forget.

:negative:

G0RF fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 3, 2018

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

What the actual gently caress... lol, and rip in peace, New World, we hardly new ye!

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

This is because he controls a discord that he set up before any information on the game was available whatsoever. There is no way in hell I am going digging for his tweet, but the original one was along the lines of "Amazon new MMO! Come speculate in this discord channel I set up on what could be happening cause we have literally no idea!"

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Lazrin/Lethality/FactsAreUseless could just make a report here.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Grubby Hobo posted:

As a coder, I stand aghast at this server meshing business.

CIG: Our servers mesh, and dynamically adjust to focus computing power on smaller areas of space, so that we can have 1,000 multi-crewed high-fidelity ships in a small area.

Me: Dude. Wow, that's impressive technology! How did you make that perform well?

CIG: It's just a marketing idea. But we are confident that our high-turnover crew of cheap recent grads that took 3 years to implement bind culling and still haven't delivered it can pull it off.

e: Thanks for the awesome avatar, mysterious stranger!

Added a little precision to your post.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

alf_pogs posted:

what are chocobos, but a disgusting nerd's name for a chicken, anyway

*starts to summon Choco/Mog*

you fool

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So, what is you guys favorite derail ITT?

I'm partial to the anal bleach saga. Dunno, seems oddly fitting, like it's not a derail at all.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

trucutru posted:

I'm partial to the anal bleach saga. Dunno, seems oddly fitting, like it's not a derail at all.

leonard skinley

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/k2QWPbf.gifv

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

trucutru posted:

The various doxxes were nice and we need more of them.

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

trucutru posted:

Um, I kind of want to know, but yet I also don't...

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I remember playing Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and my character having low sanity caused a fake bluescreen to pop up. Fun times :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development