Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leraika posted:

FFd6 is better than any of the other alternatives because it's incredibly simple and easy to pick up and play.

The downside is that it's not balanced all that well.

It was super easy for me to run (I'm a lazy gm) but the balance issues with the party were one of the factors that burned me out on the game. Maybe I should just run for four people and not any more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Plutonis posted:

It was super easy for me to run (I'm a lazy gm) but the balance issues with the party were one of the factors that burned me out on the game. Maybe I should just run for four people and not any more than that.

I wrote up a list of possible balance things a while back and it was mostly 'gently caress paladins' and 'gently caress gamblers, but for a different reason'.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Halloween Jack posted:

For whatever reason I really like the Jobs systems from FF games. One of my takeaways with old-school D&D is that there are two ways you can go with the classes: either make them as open and broad as possible so that people can do anything with it, or deliberately do a bunch of weird particular ones like the paladin, druid, bard, etc. that imply things about the setting just by being there.

FF games' job systems work because they're, well, games, and written to work inside games, and written by people who are making games. They're all very mechanical. D&D classes are made by people who view their job as somewhere between amateur writer and another slightly worse amateur writer.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leraika posted:

I wrote up a list of possible balance things a while back and it was mostly 'gently caress paladins' and 'gently caress gamblers, but for a different reason'.

Ironically the most broken member in the party was the geomancer which people usually overlook on the games as a crappy class but it's a loving beast on FFD6 due to being almost a good healer as the white mage but being way more tough and capable of dealing a shitload of damage as well

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

And Blue Mage needs to be redone because it's miserably bad. Like Jesus Christ they suck at everything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So a 3e CoDzilla, then.

I've thought about introducing a rule in anything I DM that druids have to wear a funny animal hat. It works in FF.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

mllaneza posted:

There's going to be a second edition of How To Host A Dungeon, a playtest draft just went up.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+tonydowler/posts/j4euYxVmtRb?cfem=1

Elevator pitch: Play out the backstory of your own Underdark.

I've spent dozens of delightful hours with the first edition; this is exciting!

Martin Snazz
May 15, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

They eventually pulled the linked blog post after enough people made fun of Ericsson's prose style and brought up the pedophile thing, but no it happened, you can stop riding out to their defense.

Thank you.

In all seriousness, though, yelping about a fiction anthology that they apparently pulled from access and scrubbed from publication a while back seems a bit ... extreme. I mean, I get it. We all have to have something to be outraged by, but what do you think they should have done instead? Doubled down? Let Ericsson ramp up his obnoxious Uber-Edge Lord schtick? Offered penance, mea culpas and a tray of cookies to the poor bastards that actually wait around for a fiction anthology about their favorite Elf Game?

Because honestly, that's Woody Allen poo poo right there: "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." "Yeah, I know; and such small portions." It's essentially fanfic centered on a game that was hot and edgy 25+ years ago, and you're complaining because some douchebags are trying to keep it edgy. Man, I'd hate to see what you think of the latest Dragonlance collection or R.A. Salvatore series. If you're buying licensed White Wolf V:TM fiction, there's a bigger problem than the guys writing or editing the damned thing.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Oh hey, they even reprinted a fiction collection edited by a child molester.

The term "reprint" seems to mean different things to different people. I'd be curious to know how long that e-book was available before it was scrubbed.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I was pretty unhappy with the beta rules in Vampire 5e that let you feed on drug addicts and child soldiers who escaped ISIS for wicked buffs. If you went into the actual White Wolf thread they probably have some choice words on the more concrete rules, too.

I'm guessing that, in your home games, vampires are only allowed to feed on narrowly prescribed sorts of victims, such as neoliberal republicans and people who disagree with you on internet forums.

Honestly, this leaves me at a bit of a loss. If there isn't an element of horror in your edgy, gothpunk games, what exactly is going on? Is it Model UN with fangs? An extended coffee shop slam poetry night, only we broadly talk about how we totally spiked the coffee with blood from "bad" people? Season One of Arrow, only the guy in the hood has three dots in Auspex?

Vampire (and White Wolf, in general) has always been trashy in its dark and edgy nature. Back cover of the Tzimisce, anyone? Entire chapters on world details like "walking the chicken strip" and similar? These ringing any bells? It just happened that people could ignore the lore whenever they were running it.

Puffing up with outrage now, when the company looks to be doing the same damned thing all over again... what game did you think you were talking about?

Nuns with Guns posted:

They kind of do, yes. Ken Hite is famous for his mythos/horror writings in RPGs but he's a pretty insufferable neoliberal republican and Mark is the absolute definition of suck on multiple levels.

Yeah, I hadn't realized that the game needed a purity test that went that deep. I do appreciate the "yeah, Hite's a dick in real life, so it doesn't matter if he puts out decent games" angle, though.

Snark aside, I didn't know that Zak S had anything to do with the game at this point. He's a reprehensible creature, but I would be surprised if (like the scrubbed fiction anthology) if they were willing to court that sort of shitstorm.

Kai Tave posted:

"Screaming in lust from the concentrated spunk in my groins-blood, the Akalia started to wriggle out of its dirty jeans, still gagging on my bleeding junk. It let go only to suck in air, preparing to turn its centuries-dormant sexual organs into full rear end-rape stiffness."

That's the guy in charge of Vampire 5E in action right there, a man who wrote that and didn't instantly disintegrate out of shame.

That's ... phenomenal. And not really unexpected for a White Wolf fiction anthology.

It honestly makes you wonder if Tim Kring or Joss Whedon were aware of his hilariously bad "participatory art and entertainment" when they were working with him.

Yawgmoth posted:

Edit: lol holy poo poo if martin snazz isn't actually martin ericsson and/or another zak s sockpuppet I would be mildly shocked at this point

Nah, apparently I'm not nearly "bombastic" enough. Clearly, I need to add more "concentrated spunk in my groins-blood" to my posts.

Martin Snazz fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 3, 2018

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Or you could just gently caress off. I'd try that first, actually.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Martin Snazz posted:

Thank you.

In all seriousness, though, yelping about a fiction anthology that they apparently pulled from access and scrubbed from publication a while back seems a bit ... extreme. I mean, I get it. We all have to have something to be outraged by, but what do you think they should have done instead? Doubled down? Let Ericsson ramp up his obnoxious Uber-Edge Lord schtick? Offered penance, mea culpas and a tray of cookies to the poor bastards that actually wait around for a fiction anthology about their favorite Elf Game?

Because honestly, that's Woody Allen poo poo right there: "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." "Yeah, I know; and such small portions." It's essentially fanfic centered on a game that was hot and edgy 25+ years ago, and you're complaining because some douchebags are trying to keep it edgy. Man, I'd hate to see what you think of the latest Dragonlance collection or R.A. Salvatore series. If you're buying licensed White Wolf V:TM fiction, there's a bigger problem than the guys writing or editing the damned thing.

The term "reprint" seems to mean different things to different people. I'd be curious to know how long that e-book was available before it was scrubbed.

I'm guessing that, in your home games, vampires are only allowed to feed on narrowly prescribed sorts of victims, such as neoliberal republicans and people who disagree with you on internet forums.

Honestly, this leaves me at a bit of a loss. If there isn't an element of horror in your edgy, gothpunk games, what exactly is going on? Is it Model UN with fangs? An extended coffee shop slam poetry night, only we broadly talk about how we totally spiked the coffee with blood from "bad" people? Season One of Arrow, only the guy in the hood has three dots in Auspex?

Vampire (and White Wolf, in general) has always been trashy in its dark and edgy nature. Back cover of the Tzimisce, anyone? Entire chapters on world details like "walking the chicken strip" and similar? These ringing any bells? It just happened that people could ignore the lore whenever they were running it.

Puffing up with outrage now, when the company looks to be doing the same damned thing all over again... what game did you think you were talking about?

Yeah, I hadn't realized that the game needed a purity test that went that deep. I do appreciate the "yeah, Hite's a dick in real life, so it doesn't matter if he puts out decent games" angle, though.

Snark aside, I didn't know that Zak S had anything to do with the game at this point. He's a reprehensible creature, but I would be surprised if (like the scrubbed fiction anthology) if they were willing to court that sort of shitstorm.

That's ... phenomenal. And not really unexpected for a White Wolf fiction anthology.

It honestly makes you wonder if Tim Kring or Joss Whedon were aware of his hilariously bad "participatory art and entertainment" when they were working with him.

Nah, apparently I'm not nearly "bombastic" enough. Clearly, I need to add more "concentrated spunk in my groins-blood" to my posts.
Okay.

Martin Snazz
May 15, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Or you could just gently caress off. I'd try that first, actually.

*smooches*

Actually, that was probably out of line. I probably should have gotten prior say so.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Martin Snazz posted:

Thank you.

They could have ummm. Not done that? I'm just spit-balling here, but maybe that would've been an option? Like, just, you know, not ever doing that. Ever.

quote:

You're aware these are in fact distinct companies and it is no longer 1993 and that things change, correct? Also, no, there is a distinction between actual real horror and 14 year old edge-lord idiocy.

Which you can see in many of the games from what is now called Onyx Path Publishing. They did 2 whole editions! Yeah, they had some stumbles themselves (looking at you, for instance, BvD) but the difference is night and day.

quote:

Yeah this is just dumb and I checked out.

Why the gently caress is this your hill to die on, yet you know nothing about it?

And why have you never posted in the thread specifically about this topic.

And why are you saying these stupid things.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Final Fantasy D6

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Xiahou Dun posted:

Why the gently caress is this your hill to die on, yet you know nothing about it?

And why have you never posted in the thread specifically about this topic.

And why are you saying these stupid things.

Most likely because this is some weirdass sockpuppet account for someone working on the new White Wolf games.

Martin Snazz
May 15, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Most likely because this is some weirdass sockpuppet account for someone working on the new White Wolf games.

Or it could be that I'm not deep enough into the groupthink, so I have to be properly informed to know my place.

Opinions are terrible things, when they're not properly aligned.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Martin Snazz posted:

Or it could be that I'm not deep enough into the groupthink, so I have to be properly informed to know my place.

Opinions are terrible things, when they're not properly aligned.
Okay.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Have you actually read any of the things you're talking about?

Like. You came to defend a company you apparently love (??????) but don't actually know anything about their products.

Martin Snazz
May 15, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

That's cool. Saves me having to bother with the rest of your reply.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Have you actually read any of the things you're talking about?

Oh. You're back.

Should I go back and talk about your previous points?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Martin Snazz posted:

Thank you.

sir the nuggets are going to take another 10 minutes, just park over there if you're willing to wait

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That's nice, Zak.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Martin Snazz posted:

That's cool. Saves me having to bother with the rest of your reply.

Oh. You're back.

Should I go back and talk about your previous points?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYjqm9HIGtQ

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm not sure this "Encino Man, but the Brendan Fraser character is the crappiest dude from the world's worst old-school WoD group, flash-frozen in 1993 and thawed 25 years later to the terrifying specter of a world where people grew the gently caress up" remake is going to work

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

On the one hand, you're dumber than a sack of wet hammers.

But I gotta give you props for investing 10 bucks 6 years ago for a super obvious scam.

It's dumb foresight, but it's foresight.

Martin Snazz
May 15, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

That's nice, Zak.

Yeah, this account has all the hallmarks of a Zak account, doesn't it?

Well, I mean, you disagree with me on one narrow subject. I guess that's enough to have sussed out my identity.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That's nice, Zak.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

That's nice, Zak.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
“Can’t tolerate dissenting opinions huh!?!” I said in a rage after encountering fairly basic liberal criticism of an obscure text in a small corner of the internet

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Martin Snazz posted:

idk they felt the need to reproduce it and make it widely available until they were called out? Does it please you to rephrase it that way?

Martin Snazz posted:

It has nothing to do with feeding on politically acceptable targets and everything to do with gamifying and abstracting human tragedy into to numerical bonuses for your dumbass trenchcoat superhero game. Being guilty of it in the past is no excuse for a modern loving game to do the same poo poo. This is exactly the same moronic attitude that led to Swedraclula lamenting that New York By Night didn't take an edgy poo poo on 9/11 when it was printed two months after 9/11 happened.

Martin Snazz posted:

You were the one who wanted to to know if they suck or not. Nothing in your post said it had to be contained to game development skills (which Mark is also terrible at). That aside, if you don't think their worldviews will color how they approach and design games, then I don't know what to tell you.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 3, 2018

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Martin Snazz posted:

Yeah, this account has all the hallmarks of a Zak account, doesn't it?

Well, I mean, you disagree with me on one narrow subject. I guess that's enough to have sussed out my identity.

Gonna actually respond to any of my points/questions, or just gonna take umbrage that I called out that the last part of your post was strung-together mad libs and take your ball and go home?

You made like 10 posts. So a post a dollar. For 6 years. Like, I don't even really mean this as criticism just wow.

Martin Snazz
May 15, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

I'm not sure this "Encino Man, but the Brendan Fraser character is the crappiest dude from the world's worst old-school WoD group, flash-frozen in 1993 and thawed 25 years later to the terrifying specter of a world where people grew the gently caress up" remake is going to work

This is an interesting thought, but I'm not sure where you're going with it.

The point of reviving World of Darkness with a continuing metaplot is telling me that people haven't actually grown the gently caress up. The irritatingly profitable Kickstarters speak to that as well, and then there's the fact that Paradox figured to buy the IP in order to make more products for a profit. All of these point to the idea that, in a fairly saturated market, there are still enough people out in the gaming community that would want to buy books for this line.

Nuns with Guns posted:

It has nothing to do with feeding on acceptable targets and everything to do with gamifying and abstracting human tragedy into to numerical bonuses for your dumbass trenchcoat superhero game. Being guilty of it in the past is no excuse for a modern loving game to do the same poo poo. This is exactly the same moronic attitude that led to Swedraclula lamenting that New York By Night didn't take an edgy poo poo on 9/11 when it was printed two months after 9/11 happened.

I think this is the real crux of the problem. You're pontificating about a "dumbass trenchcoat superhero game," while other people seem to think it's a game about awful, inhuman parasites that walk on two legs. And the guys that think that parasites would probably do awful things seem to be the ones writing it.

So, you bring up "wicked buffs" for feeding on disenfranchised and abused people (at least, I assume that's why you bring it up), which makes sense for a game that's exploring a character's innate Humanity. Short term gains, long term losses. If we're actually playing a game about parasites that walk as men and pass in society - ones that are struggling with what remains of their Humanity - why wouldn't you put things like that, which promote suffering within the greater whole that is mankind? Force them to see what they're giving up for their "wicked buffs" and give some context to why they're not really human anymore?

Of course, if you're playing a "dumbass trenchcoat superhero," then it's stupid and exploitative.

Nuns with Guns posted:

You were the one who wanted to to know if they suck or not. Nothing in your post said it had to be contained to game development skills (which Mark is also terrible at). That aside, if you don't think their worldviews will color how they approach and design games, then I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah, I can't really bridge this. In context, I was referencing the fact that they have well known names attached for the main game design. My interest in whom they happen to be outside of the books on my shelf is pretty minimal. Hite being a neoliberal republican doesn't really move the needle on the quality of his design or his status as a professional. There are games that he has done that I have no interest in, but nothing about that speaks to how he votes or what he has to say on any other platform. If he did something on the order of the harassment that Zak S is known for, then I'd reconsider. But he doesn't, so it's not an issue for me. My purity test isn't that stringent.

But that's the thing... I'm looking at this game release with an eye to potentially getting a new edition of a game I've enjoyed in the past. (Werewolf, if anyone cares.) I'm interested in seeing how the game lines are handled, if anything new is brought in and so on. I don't spend nearly enough time on the various forums to be aware of whom I should hate this week, since I'm really only interested in having the company thrive enough to see a specific new release. This game has some heavy names attached to it, which speaks of its ambitions.

Sure, Ericsson seems like a jackass. He's an overinflated LARP guy who has the professional chops to be able to handle something like this in his particular role. I doubt I would want to be at a table with the guy, since he's all kinds of Euro Goth Stereotype. His fiction writing manages to straddle the line of both high pretension and spectacular awfulness, and that tells me a lot about the kinds of characters he would stat up. But he's also writing gamer fiction, which makes the fanfic dungeons look like they have standards. Will he manage to pull off the new release of this game, which has the company's future products and reputation riding on it? Probably. Awful fiction aside, this ain't his first rodeo.

As to Zak S and all that entails... every time he's shown up on a project, it's been enough to whip the fanbase into a frenzy. Again, I only know of the larger bullshit that he's been at the center of, but the reaction to his participation on the fiction anthology was heavy enough to have White Wolf scrub it and do their damnedest to deny its existence. When I brought up the Exalted 3e Rape Charms, that was an attempt to be illustrative of what the reaction could have been. As I recall, one of the head designers went on forums and tried his best to defend them. At least with Zak S, there was an understanding that they had crossed a line, and they had to distance themselves. He's not been mentioned on the August release, so I have to wonder if they're willing to expose themselves to a potential boycott on that basis.

That's why I am at odds with the universal hate for a game that hasn't been released, whose full text hasn't been evaluated, and whose actual layout and design has yet to be revealed. All of this is speculation about a future product that everyone seems to hope will crash and burn as a punitive measure. I mean, sure... if Ericsson's involvement is enough to sour people, that's a matter of individual choice. If an e-book of terrible fiction with terrible people involved is enough to get you to not buy it, fine. Even if that book is wholly disavowed.

But let's at least be upfront about all that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Martin Snazz posted:

Fair enough. Got a link for some proper hate, since the quick Google Search isn't turning up much negative criticism?

"Hate" is a strong word. I don't hate it. But I was pretty critical of what I read.

As a system, it's very much gimmick over functionality. It doesn't work mathematically, to the point where being better at something and having more dice can actually increase your chances of failure, especially in long scenes.

Vampire wasn't a one-man show, and Mark owes a lot to the folks that worked with him on his games, if I Am Zombie is any indication.

Martin Snazz
May 15, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Gonna actually respond to any of my points/questions, or just gonna take umbrage that I called out that the last part of your post was strung-together mad libs and take your ball and go home?

I can, if you want. I got the impression, with your original post, that you didn't plan to post further.

Xiahou Dun posted:

You made like 10 posts. So a post a dollar. For 6 years. Like, I don't even really mean this as criticism just wow.

Yeah. There are reasons, none of which are particularly germane to this discussion.

I've lurked for a veeery long time.

Martin Snazz
May 15, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

"Hate" is a strong word. I don't hate it. But I was pretty critical of what I read.

As a system, it's very much gimmick over functionality. It doesn't work mathematically, to the point where being better at something and having more dice can actually increase your chances of failure, especially in long scenes.

Vampire wasn't a one-man show, and Mark owes a lot to the folks that worked with him on his games, if I Am Zombie is any indication.

My eyes started to cross with the boost / chaw / brains results. It really doesn't seem compelling. EDIT: Which is weird, given that it has four and five star ratings all over the place.

This looks like the sort of thing that Gygax did after TSR chucked him out. Cyborg Commando, Mythus, Lejendary Adventure... the stuff that everyone tries to pretend doesn't exist these days, outside of the cheap bins in the FLGS.

Martin Snazz fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 3, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Martin Snazz posted:

I can, if you want. I got the impression, with your original post, that you didn't plan to post further.

Yeah. There are reasons, none of which are particularly germane to this discussion.

I've lurked for a veeery long time.

So wait wait, you lurked for 6 years and then just came in for this specific conversation?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
To be blunt, a good chunk of the reviews are just superficial gushing, and you'll get that, especially with Kickstarters. But it's not gotten a world of attention since its launch, and certainly not the amount you'd expect from such an influential creator. I like some of the basic ideas in terms of card-based character design, but the actual delivery is more than a bit of a mess, and it's easy to screw yourself if you don't know how to lay out your cards right.

Also there was the whole weird situation where it turns out partway through kickstarter development - when it was running late - that he had been working on a completely different fantasy game, which he then posted for people to playtest. The playtest also had a bunch of trademarked placeholder art (which is fine internally for a playtest, but not what you'd want for a public playtest). The whole thing didn't go over well and they papered over the whole mess pretty quickly.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

well I'm not sure what's going on but my default NPC persona is "regular Joe baffled by the PCs prowess, mostly in bamboozling him" which makes it all the more of a surprise when I occasionally introduce one that has an agenda and doesn't roll over for the PCs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Martin Snazz posted:

This is an interesting thought, but I'm not sure where you're going with it.

The point of reviving World of Darkness with a continuing metaplot is telling me that people haven't actually grown the gently caress up. The irritatingly profitable Kickstarters speak to that as well, and then there's the fact that Paradox figured to buy the IP in order to make more products for a profit. All of these point to the idea that, in a fairly saturated market, there are still enough people out in the gaming community that would want to buy books for this line.

I think this is the real crux of the problem. You're pontificating about a "dumbass trenchcoat superhero game," while other people seem to think it's a game about awful, inhuman parasites that walk on two legs. And the guys that think that parasites would probably do awful things seem to be the ones writing it.

So, you bring up "wicked buffs" for feeding on disenfranchised and abused people (at least, I assume that's why you bring it up), which makes sense for a game that's exploring a character's innate Humanity. Short term gains, long term losses. If we're actually playing a game about parasites that walk as men and pass in society - ones that are struggling with what remains of their Humanity - why wouldn't you put things like that, which promote suffering within the greater whole that is mankind? Force them to see what they're giving up for their "wicked buffs" and give some context to why they're not really human anymore?

Of course, if you're playing a "dumbass trenchcoat superhero," then it's stupid and exploitative.

Yeah, I can't really bridge this. In context, I was referencing the fact that they have well known names attached for the main game design. My interest in whom they happen to be outside of the books on my shelf is pretty minimal. Hite being a neoliberal republican doesn't really move the needle on the quality of his design or his status as a professional. There are games that he has done that I have no interest in, but nothing about that speaks to how he votes or what he has to say on any other platform. If he did something on the order of the harassment that Zak S is known for, then I'd reconsider. But he doesn't, so it's not an issue for me. My purity test isn't that stringent.

But that's the thing... I'm looking at this game release with an eye to potentially getting a new edition of a game I've enjoyed in the past. (Werewolf, if anyone cares.) I'm interested in seeing how the game lines are handled, if anything new is brought in and so on. I don't spend nearly enough time on the various forums to be aware of whom I should hate this week, since I'm really only interested in having the company thrive enough to see a specific new release. This game has some heavy names attached to it, which speaks of its ambitions.

Sure, Ericsson seems like a jackass. He's an overinflated LARP guy who has the professional chops to be able to handle something like this in his particular role. I doubt I would want to be at a table with the guy, since he's all kinds of Euro Goth Stereotype. His fiction writing manages to straddle the line of both high pretension and spectacular awfulness, and that tells me a lot about the kinds of characters he would stat up. But he's also writing gamer fiction, which makes the fanfic dungeons look like they have standards. Will he manage to pull off the new release of this game, which has the company's future products and reputation riding on it? Probably. Awful fiction aside, this ain't his first rodeo.

As to Zak S and all that entails... every time he's shown up on a project, it's been enough to whip the fanbase into a frenzy. Again, I only know of the larger bullshit that he's been at the center of, but the reaction to his participation on the fiction anthology was heavy enough to have White Wolf scrub it and do their damnedest to deny its existence. When I brought up the Exalted 3e Rape Charms, that was an attempt to be illustrative of what the reaction could have been. As I recall, one of the head designers went on forums and tried his best to defend them. At least with Zak S, there was an understanding that they had crossed a line, and they had to distance themselves. He's not been mentioned on the August release, so I have to wonder if they're willing to expose themselves to a potential boycott on that basis.

That's why I am at odds with the universal hate for a game that hasn't been released, whose full text hasn't been evaluated, and whose actual layout and design has yet to be revealed. All of this is speculation about a future product that everyone seems to hope will crash and burn as a punitive measure. I mean, sure... if Ericsson's involvement is enough to sour people, that's a matter of individual choice. If an e-book of terrible fiction with terrible people involved is enough to get you to not buy it, fine. Even if that book is wholly disavowed.

But let's at least be upfront about all that.

if you're not going to order anything I really am going to have to ask you to let the rest of the line go first

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Halloween Jack posted:

For whatever reason I really like the Jobs systems from FF games. One of my takeaways with old-school D&D is that there are two ways you can go with the classes: either make them as open and broad as possible so that people can do anything with it, or deliberately do a bunch of weird particular ones like the paladin, druid, bard, etc. that imply things about the setting just by being there.

Personally I feel the best way to do it is to have several broad "Core" classes(usually the Fighter, Thief, Cleric, Wizard quartet), and then do a bunch of additional classes that tend to be more niche to varying extents(whether it's one that is still fairly broad like a Druid, or something super specific like say a "Umbrian Caber Tosser")

With an additional factor being whether you're doing Racial Classes or race as separate from classes

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ur dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Martin Snazz posted:

Zak wasn't involved with the e-book, he was involved in the writing of a visual novel computer game which is still for sale.

Also, when people complained about hiring Zak, WW released a statement claiming Zak had provably never done anything wrong and that the people complaining were making it up. So, no, I don't think they believe a line was crossed.

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 3, 2018