Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chaotix is unplayable to me but CD is okay. Worse than the Genesis games but a pretty good game overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Gammatron 64 posted:

I really don't like Sonic 1. Aside from Green Hill, the levels just aren't very fun at all. Also no Spin Dash.

Personal ranking:
S3&K > Mania > 2 > CD > Chaotix > 1 >>>>> 4

Note: Sonic 3&K is my favorite video game ever made even though with the Plus DLC Mania is probably the very best of them all

:yeah: :agreed: :same: though I might put CD above or equal to 2, I really like time travel just as a general concept, and Metal Sonic is cool :v:

Sonic 1 is more of a normal platformer since you have no way of going from 0 to fast in very few seconds, Marble Zone is especially one of the slowest levels in all of 2D Sonic games, imo

I think for special stages though, I'd rank them like this

Mania > S3K > CD > Chaotix > 2 >>>>>> 1

Mania's special stages are so good you guys

Xad fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 2, 2018

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If someone wanted to mock it up, you could put together a triangular chart for exploration, puzzle platforming and speed running. Each 2D Sonic game and individual level has these qualities in different amounts at the expense of the other. Then each player has different preferences and when a game pushes too far away from those preferences they scream out 'not muh sonic!!' and declare the game crap or worse or whatever.

I think objectively mania is the best 2d Sonic as it has the best QoL fixes, a better engine and so on. And a lot less falling through the world or randomly getting stuck in walls. But if you prefer a certain element over the others, you're going to gravitate toward them, and then make posts upsetting other people on who happen to have different preferences. I do wish mania cleaved a little closer to Sonic 2 in level selection and design a bit, especially since the more I play it, the more Hydrocity is a let down. Shoulda been Aquatic Ruin.

Hopefully the sequel of whatever kind exists and isn't like Generations -> Lost World where you wonder why Sega is obsessed with throwing good ideas in the pool and drowning them.

Xad posted:

Mania's special stages are so good you guys
They are but my only real compliant is they should be technologically a half step further and have some height to the course edges. Just a little more detail to give you sharper visual feedback.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

This just popped up in my youtube feed, looks like early footage of Forces 2 maybe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MWN48V0Oac

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://www.tssznews.com/2018/05/01/iizuka-outside-japan-the-highest-user-demographics-of-mania-digital-downloads-came-from-grade-schoolers/'

quote:

Famitsu: Finally, please leave a message to the fans.

Iizuka: Thanks to everyone who bought the original Sonic Mania, we’re able to continue it to Plus, and we’re really grateful for that. There may be some impressions that Sonic Mania was aimed for people who knew of the Genesis-era games simply because it is a 2D game that feels like the past, but in actuality, people from a very broad age range are playing it.

Especially outside Japan, the highest user demographics of digital downloads came from grade schoolers. This time we’re selling it in a form and price that’s easy to obtain, so to those who haven’t got to play this yet, please kindly get this. I can proudly recommend this title to Japanese grade schoolers as well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I could believe that. I was showing my friend’s son a bunch of games I had on my Switch and he was way more interested in Mania than Forces.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Just as I can't enjoy Sonic 1a lot due to lack of spin dash I can't enjoy other Sonics due to lack of drop dash.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I don't really use the drop dash outside of the time trial mode. I still prefer the instashield, and it should've been in the base game, along with sonic's other movement abilities.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I haven’t played original Sonic 1 without the spin dash since the Genesis days because just about every rerelease of it adds it in.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

turboraton posted:

Just as I can't enjoy Sonic 1a lot due to lack of spin dash I can't enjoy other Sonics due to lack of drop dash.

Go get that mobile port, goon. It even has an alt route for Tails and Knuckles in Marble Zone Act 3.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Bodyholes posted:

Sonic Mania has CD style music and artwork, which were the good things to come from Sonic CD. It's a really trippy looking game, but it feels unfinished and clunky to play. Chaotix has a similar thing going on. The level design and gameplay in Mania is Sonic 3 style, which is the way it should be.

I go back and forth whether I like Mania or S3&K more. They're pretty close for me.

This. People like CD for the excellent art design and music. Not the level design. Sonic CD is the best looking 16-bit Sonic game. Chaotix is also gorgeous.

Sonic CD is not the best Sonic game ever by a long shot, but I also feel like people give it more hate than it deserves, too. That's probably because a lot of people often tout it as the secret best Sonic game when it's not. But it's not a terrible game either, but a lot of people sure like to act like it is. It gets overhyped and then when people finally play it they get mad it doesn't live up to the hype. It's the Majora's Mask effect.

Sure, whatever, the level design is random. At least playing Sonic CD isn't a boring slog like any level in Sonic 1 that isn't Green Hill or Star Light. Even with a Spin Dash, Tails and Knuckles I just don't find Sonic 1's levels very fun at all. Marble Zone is one of the only 2D Sonic levels that is completely linear and doesn't have any alternate paths. There is a reason why they didn't do this again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rorac posted:

I don't really use the drop dash outside of the time trial mode. I still prefer the instashield, and it should've been in the base game, along with sonic's other movement abilities.

I was thinking they should've had Amy, with her playing like sonic with the instashield, animated as her spinning a hammer mid-jump.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Amy being just sonic with the insta shield on would of been such a waste of time good gosh. Just give her a portable spring or something, she hits the ground with her hammer launching her into the air through weirdo cartoon physics. Glorified high jump to reach new areas.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Give Amy a gun

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Amy in Sonic Advance was an interesting take since she couldn’t spin when jumping or pressing down, so you had to manually attack.

Not sure if her hammer abilities were a worthwhile tradeoff, but it’s something worth building off.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I like CD for the level design

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, CD has cool level designs. Yes, even wacky workbench.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

man nurse posted:

Yeah, CD has cool level designs.

:yeah:

quote:

Yes, even wacky workbench.

:yikes:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you don't like Wacky Workbench it's just ultimate proof that you Don't Get It

(Most people don't get it)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Seriously though if you got to Wacky Workbench with all the Time Stones and didn't have to worry about finding the transporter, I can imagine it being okay maybe.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I... like finding the machine... in WW? In act 1 it's admittedly bullshit because you need to get crushed by a fake crusher to access it but that's got nothing to do with the rest of the level layout. I don't think WW is hard or annoying to explore at all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sonic CD isn't a universally pretty game, the time zone thing means there's at least one variant of every zone that looks ugly and a lot of the background layers in general are kinda trashy if you stop to look at them.

I never cared for the way sprites were coloured in Chaotix, the ever-so-slightly-higher colour count made them look sorta Amiga-y and that look carries over to Mania.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

WW is one of the worst designs in the history of videogames. It is obnoxiously, offensively bad. Blasting you up the level every few seconds is so far from being okay that it should be outlawed under the Geneva convention.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I mean, the floor could be death pits. Would that be better? You're supposed to avoid the floor, via this thing called platforming. It's like wing fortress except you don't die every time you miss the jump, you just get mildly inconvenienced.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Or the floor could gently bounce you up like it does with the platforms, rather than fire you to the top of the level so fast that it is impossible to get your bearings, so that you can navigate around the level at a regular pace rather than ultra-slow platforming that punishes your every small mistake.

'It could have bottomless pits instead of sending you to the moon' is one hell of a hot take. How about neither?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

CD is fine. It's experimental and could have been designed better, and no, it is not better than Sonic 2 or 3K, but it's still pretty fun. At least it's never boring.

It gets a lot of hate because not a lot of people grew up owning a Sega CD. Those who did would gush about how great Sonic CD was, then when people who didn't play it before tried it, they were pissed because it got hyped up so much.

A friend of mine with some dumb opinions literally thought Sonic 4 was better than Sonic CD until I sat him down and made him play Sonic 4 again. His excuse was "I didn't notice how off the controls were back then because my TV had a lot of lag." Sure.

I wonder if Dracula X: Rondo of Blood gets that treatment. I think it's the best pre-SOTN Castlevania game and I didn't grow up with it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I wonder if Dracula X: Rondo of Blood gets that treatment. I think it's the best pre-SOTN Castlevania game and I didn't grow up with it.

It doesn't, because Rondo is essentially the culmination of everything good about classic CV up to that point, and its sequel is the most beloved CV game ever made. Aria of Sorrow is technically a sequel!!!! It's very well-designed, has that classic difficulty without being unfair, has multiple paths and characters for replay value, and even got a faithful remake. Rondo is fairly timeless; you didn't have to grow up with it to appreciate it.

Sonic CD was kind of a sidestep from Sonic 1 and 2; Sonic 3&K better fits the Rondo bill.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Ok, that’s enough of that. Let’s move on to the real classics: the Game Gear quadrilogy.
Chaos>Triple Trouble>S2>S1. Sonic Blast doesn’t count because it’s an abomination

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sonic CD is more susceptible to that sort of backlash because it's so obviously derived from the existing Sonic games so the differences and/or weaknesses are more pronounced and it's very easy to compare, one way or another, to the other classic games.

More than Rondo, I'd compare it to something like Rockman & Bass.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Ok, that’s enough of that. Let’s move on to the real classics: the Game Gear quadrilogy.
Chaos>Triple Trouble>S2>S1. Sonic Blast doesn’t count because it’s an abomination

I reckon Triple Trouble holds up better than Chaos on average, it has Sunset Park and Robotnik Winter for one thing. The rest is accurate, although I have a soft spot for Sonic 2, not least because it has my favourite level openers from all Sonic games, and I'm sad that the idea of an opening jingle and zone-specific artwork never really got revisited.

Blast is absolute trash, it is a strong contender for worst Sonic game in existence, even on a system that had Sonic Labyrinth.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Blast is so fuckin' bad. Like oh my god.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I reckon Triple Trouble holds up better than Chaos on average, it has Sunset Park and Robotnik Winter for one thing. The rest is accurate, although I have a soft spot for Sonic 2, not least because it has my favourite level openers from all Sonic games, and I'm sad that the idea of an opening jingle and zone-specific artwork never really got revisited.

Blast is absolute trash, it is a strong contender for worst Sonic game in existence, even on a system that had Sonic Labyrinth.

S2 has the absolutely impossible level 1 boss on GG so that puts it near the bottom for me.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Triple Trouble is decent. Sonic Chaos is also okay, but it's way too easy. 8-bit Sonic 2 on the other hand is way too hard, with the Game Gear version being borderline unplayable due to its screen size. Most can't get past the first boss.

8-bit Sonic 1 is almost like... not even a Sonic game. It's just of like a regular platformer that just so happens to have Sonic in it.

We don't mention Blast or Labyrinth. Tails Adventure are Drift 2 are fun though.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sonic CD is more susceptible to that sort of backlash because it's so obviously derived from the existing Sonic games so the differences and/or weaknesses are more pronounced and it's very easy to compare, one way or another, to the other classic games.

More than Rondo, I'd compare it to something like Rockman & Bass.

Ok yeah fine I think Rockman & Forte sucks.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I guess to be fair, I probably have such strong feelings about Sonic CD because I owned a Sega CD as a kid and I had to justify it to myself at the time. I had a bunch of the lovely FMV games, and then like two or three really good games and there was not much else for the system.

As for Sonic 3, I don't know why but I was never really that impressed with it. The first two zones are really good but then it kind of turns to poo poo and I get bored with it :shrug:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Gammatron 64 posted:

Triple Trouble is decent. Sonic Chaos is also okay, but it's way too easy. 8-bit Sonic 2 on the other hand is way too hard, with the Game Gear version being borderline unplayable due to its screen size. Most can't get past the first boss.

8-bit Sonic 1 is almost like... not even a Sonic game. It's just of like a regular platformer that just so happens to have Sonic in it.

We don't mention Blast or Labyrinth. Tails Adventure are Drift 2 are fun though.

Ok yeah fine I think Rockman & Forte sucks.

The snes version of rockman & Forte is a breath of fresh air compared to the GBA "Port"

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, thinking it over again I think Triple Trouble is probably the better game, but I have better memories of Sonic Chaos (probably because it’s easier).
Incidentally, I wasn’t able to replay Triple Trouble after a while too, since for some god forsaken reason I pulled out the cartridge during the intro and the sprite layers or something messed up, letting you see sprites that hadn’t shown up yet during the animation or had already seemingly disappeared. I then proceeded to do that over and over again to see if I could find more secrets and the cartridge stopped working. I was a little dumbass.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Triple Trouble is the only decent one of those GG games.

2 is sorta alright outside of the first boss. 2 is better than Chaos because, while 2 has simple level designs early on, it introduces more (and more interesting) gimmicks as you progress through most of it's stages. It's pretty clear once you get to Gimmick Mountain Zone imo. And it has much more interesting bg art as well, though Chaos's sprites are definitely cuter. 2 has the better boss battles; 2 has a bad first boss, but everything else is decently cool (especially the final boss), but Chaos only has 1 boss I liked at all where the rest are extremely pathetic, especially the final one. On the other hand, 2's special stages aren't very notable where as Chaos has at least some cool variations of stage gimmicks to play with.

To drive the point further, Chaos's final boss song is very meh, where even 2's only boss theme is much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06rTcQG7i0w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMtc6ao5uQM

Tails Adventure is the best game gear game

Ventana fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 3, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sonic 2 GG is a little better if you play the Master System version (you can actually see what you're doing for one thing) but yeah, Triple Trouble and Tails Adventure are probably the best of the bunch. Fun Fact: In the Japanese version of Triple Trouble the name of the Robotnik Winter zone is unchanged, making it (I believe) the first and only mention of that name over there until SA2.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Tails Adventures > Sonic Triple Trouble > Sonic Chaos > Sonic 2 (Master System) > Sonic [1] > Sonic Labyrinth > Sonic 2 (Game Gear)

I can't rank Spinball, Mean Bean Machine, the Drift games or Blast on the grounds that I haven't played them, although Blast is assuredly very low. I have played SkyPatrol, though it was mostly through save-scumming, so I'm not sure where it properly ranks; it was just kinda okay at best, though. Interesting concept, debatable execution. It's almost certainly above Labyrinth, at any rate (which... I... kind of like, somehow...).

Ventana posted:

2's special stages aren't very notable
Yeah, I'd say "non-existent" passes for "isn't very notable".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Shadow Hog posted:

Yeah, I'd say "non-existent" passes for "isn't very notable".

I think my brain broke thinking about so many game gear games that I combined the Sonic Blast special stages and thought the they were the Sonic 2's, my b

Also when I was younger I liked Labyrinth. I don't want to touch it again because I'd like to hold onto that nostalgia for a bit longer