Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

drat I really like my M97xE. Maybe I should buy a spare before the price gets crazy. (crazier, it's gone up like 40% in the last few years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Any recommendations for a record cleaner that is automatic? I don't mind spending a little extra for a quality machine, because I have like 800+ 45's to clean and definitely don't want to be cleaning vinyl until the end of summer. The two I have seen are the Spin-Clean and the Record Doctor V. The Spin-Clean isn't that expensive, and the Doctor is near $200, so I was wondering if there is a noticeable difference between the two.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Spin clean isn't automatic. You have to manually turn the disc in the spin clean and dry it after.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Yah, I shouldn't have said automatic. I more meant something that would make the process quicker or less labor-intensive.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I don’t know how a spin clean is any faster or easier than just using spray and a soft cloth.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

BigFactory posted:

I don’t know how a spin clean is any faster or easier than just using spray and a soft cloth.

I have a Spin Clean and I think it does a better job of cleaning nasty records (I had a few records I thought were not recoverable and they now play back pretty great), but it certainly isn't as fast as spray and a cloth.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Asnorban posted:

I have a Spin Clean and I think it does a better job of cleaning nasty records (I had a few records I thought were not recoverable and they now play back pretty great), but it certainly isn't as fast as spray and a cloth.

This is my experience as well. Can’t weigh in on the spin doctor, but I’m happy with my spin clean.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I definitely have some dirty records that are hopefully salvageable so it seems like the Spinclean would do what I need even if it isn’t any faster.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Asnorban posted:

Same, I had one that had some type of goo on it and the SpinClean got everything but the label clean.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MrSargent posted:

I definitely have some dirty records that are hopefully salvageable so it seems like the Spinclean would do what I need even if it isn’t any faster.

A spin clean is fine, but a squeaky clean is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbphnT1d-ys

I had a spin clean for a few years and it worked fine, but I think the squeaky clean is the better direction to go, first because it eliminates one whole step (the cloth drying, with the vacuum sucking up all the top liquids, I can go straight from the cleaner to the table in a few rotations). I also have a whole lot less static build up after a squeaky clean session. Virtually none honestly. Last, I can get through a batch of twenty records in about 90 minutes from cleaning to fresh sleeves. Squeaky clean it was at least three hours total to get a batch that big done and that's not even accounting for the drying period because you'll want your records to air dry before you re-sleeve so you don't capture any moisture in the grooves that'll lead to mildew down the line.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Boinks posted:

drat I really like my M97xE. Maybe I should buy a spare before the price gets crazy. (crazier, it's gone up like 40% in the last few years)

:same:

Any recommendations for a different brand of similar quality?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Maybe they'll be like Panasonic and bring all the stuff back three years from now at triple the price!

BigFactory posted:

I used to do it by hand that way and it took at least twice as long. At the very least a Spin Clean is faster because it does both sides at once. I personally found it faster because you just turn it around in the thing and pull the record out and you're done. The result is quite good, especially if you can't afford a machine.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

dorium posted:

A spin clean is fine, but a squeaky clean is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbphnT1d-ys

I had a spin clean for a few years and it worked fine, but I think the squeaky clean is the better direction to go, first because it eliminates one whole step (the cloth drying, with the vacuum sucking up all the top liquids, I can go straight from the cleaner to the table in a few rotations). I also have a whole lot less static build up after a squeaky clean session. Virtually none honestly. Last, I can get through a batch of twenty records in about 90 minutes from cleaning to fresh sleeves. Squeaky clean it was at least three hours total to get a batch that big done and that's not even accounting for the drying period because you'll want your records to air dry before you re-sleeve so you don't capture any moisture in the grooves that'll lead to mildew down the line.

That looks like a solid solution and the time savings is definitely a bonus. I don't have a shop vac, but I do have a central vacuum in my house. Do you know if that would work with the vacuum attachment on the squeaky clean?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

MrSargent posted:

That looks like a solid solution and the time savings is definitely a bonus. I don't have a shop vac, but I do have a central vacuum in my house. Do you know if that would work with the vacuum attachment on the squeaky clean?

Probably not, it's really designed for a wet/dry vac. I know the amount of water you'd be sucking up isn't very much but you probably still want to avoid getting that into a central vac.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It’s not just a probably not, it’s a terrible idea.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So Cowboy Bebop is finally getting a proper record release :dance:

But only if you buy it in a bundle. :negative:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MrSargent posted:

It would not. You'll definitely need at the least a 3HP shop vac. That'll be enough suction for the water and the size of the device itself still manageable. I got one for $25 on amazon.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Skeezy posted:

Lol, yeah nah. I got some nostalgia for that soundtrack but my 15 dollar bootleg will have to suffice.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

dorium posted:

It would not. You'll definitely need at the least a 3HP shop vac. That'll be enough suction for the water and the size of the device itself still manageable. I got one for $25 on amazon.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation! I think the Squeaky-Clean + Shopvac will be the route to go.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Skeezy posted:

It’s funny because they know anyone who wants to buy this would already have bought the series on Blu-Ray, DVD remix sessions, and DVD OG release. Just a straight, “gently caress you, suckers”

Even if I had $250 just laying around, no way would I ever buy this

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

250 bucks for two LPs and a 30 dollar blu-ray set is loving outrageous.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CPL593H posted:

250 bucks for two LPs and a 30 dollar blu-ray set is loving outrageous.
There is a 200 page hardcover as well, but still a bit too expensive

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

bowmore posted:

There is a 200 page hardcover as well, but still a bit too expensive

Yeah I mean, they just crammed in some stupid trinkets so they can charge almost ten times what a double LP usually costs. And anyone who would be buying this probably already has the show on blu-ray.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
AND it's only one of the soundtracks. If it was a $250 boxset of the five or six soundtracks that they put out, I'd be all over that poo poo.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Once in the recommendations thread someone asked for "energetic and exciting jazz" or something and I told them to listen to Machine Gun and they were like "OK, cool... I meant like the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack"

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MrSargent posted:

Thanks a lot for the recommendation! I think the Squeaky-Clean + Shopvac will be the route to go.

Sweet. I'm gunna recommend also you don't use Nick's alchohol based cleaning fluid method. Either get yourself an 8oz bottle of Spin Clean fluid (https://smile.amazon.com/Spin-Clean-Wash-Fluid-Ounces/dp/B003K1FTFM/) or if you're feeling extra spendy, this stuff is the realy miracle worker. TTVJAudio Vinyl Zyme Record Cleaner 2 oz Concentrate (https://www.ttvjaudio.com/TTVJAudio_Vinyl_Zyme_Record_Cleaner_2_oz_Concentra_p/aat0001000.htm) I've had records from the 50's, old jazz and pop records that went through a well loved life full of finger prints, dust and some with grime and mildew. You mix that 2oz bottle into a gallon of distilled water, soak the record and agitate. great results. it's not a cure-all. deep groove cuts and scratches will be there for good, but it silences gunk and removes all sorts of nasty debris in the grooves. the problem with nick's alcohol based method is that the alchol can kill off the natural properties of the vinyl over time and weaken its structure. if you get especially anal about cleaning too and you're re-applying that fluid over the years you damage your record over time. with the enzyme based fluid (or even the spin clean fluid) it's still a gentle process, but really gets at the debris and junk you want to get off your older records (and new as well, with how quickly new records are being pressed the quality control is all over the place and you'll want to clean those too as they come into your collection).

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Ras Het posted:

Once in the recommendations thread someone asked for "energetic and exciting jazz" or something and I told them to listen to Machine Gun and they were like "OK, cool... I meant like the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack"

I just looked up the Cowboy Bebob stuff. I guess its kinda Henry Mancini ish. What genre is that? 60's pop jazz?

Anyway as for some energetic jazz, the second release in this subscription is pretty rad.

https://cultures-of-soul.myshopify.com/products/lp-subsciption-series

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap
rear end jazz

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
It's mid-century big band stuff. Stan Kenton (and orchestra!) put out a few albums in that style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMZ6PdWcJFk

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The soundtrack album I really want to exist would be for Legion. The scores stuff is great, the covers of famous rock songs are great, and also I need to have Dan Stevens singing Rainbow Connection.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

The soundtrack album I really want to exist would be for Legion. The scores stuff is great, the covers of famous rock songs are great, and also I need to have Dan Stevens singing Rainbow Connection.

The score exists, maybe Mondo will put out the soundtrack.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

dorium posted:

Sweet. I'm gunna recommend also you don't use Nick's alchohol based cleaning fluid method. Either get yourself an 8oz bottle of Spin Clean fluid (https://smile.amazon.com/Spin-Clean-Wash-Fluid-Ounces/dp/B003K1FTFM/) or if you're feeling extra spendy, this stuff is the realy miracle worker. TTVJAudio Vinyl Zyme Record Cleaner 2 oz Concentrate (https://www.ttvjaudio.com/TTVJAudio_Vinyl_Zyme_Record_Cleaner_2_oz_Concentra_p/aat0001000.htm) I've had records from the 50's, old jazz and pop records that went through a well loved life full of finger prints, dust and some with grime and mildew. You mix that 2oz bottle into a gallon of distilled water, soak the record and agitate. great results. it's not a cure-all. deep groove cuts and scratches will be there for good, but it silences gunk and removes all sorts of nasty debris in the grooves. the problem with nick's alcohol based method is that the alchol can kill off the natural properties of the vinyl over time and weaken its structure. if you get especially anal about cleaning too and you're re-applying that fluid over the years you damage your record over time. with the enzyme based fluid (or even the spin clean fluid) it's still a gentle process, but really gets at the debris and junk you want to get off your older records (and new as well, with how quickly new records are being pressed the quality control is all over the place and you'll want to clean those too as they come into your collection).

Welp, I had a slight change of plans. After just spending a bunch of money on records, I decided to hold off on spending another 200 or so on a cleaning system. Instead, I called up my local Record Store and asked if they sold fluid/rags, with the intent to just manually clean them for now until I save up a bit. The store owner, who I know really well now, mentioned he had a used Spin-Clean he could sell me for $30. I jumped on that since that is less than half the cost of a new one and there is nothing wrong with this one. Grabbed some Spin-Clean Fluid and some rags so I'll see you guys in a few weeks when I finish cleaning all of these 45's.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Guns N' Roses just announced a massive archival box set of their Appetite for Destruction-era material:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpVrCQv3m7c

Rumored price is $699

:suicide:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MrSargent posted:

Welp, I had a slight change of plans. After just spending a bunch of money on records, I decided to hold off on spending another 200 or so on a cleaning system. Instead, I called up my local Record Store and asked if they sold fluid/rags, with the intent to just manually clean them for now until I save up a bit. The store owner, who I know really well now, mentioned he had a used Spin-Clean he could sell me for $30. I jumped on that since that is less than half the cost of a new one and there is nothing wrong with this one. Grabbed some Spin-Clean Fluid and some rags so I'll see you guys in a few weeks when I finish cleaning all of these 45's.

whatever floats your boat!

:zoid:

i on the other hand just bought a piece of pop punk history with some of my tax return funds... now to be responsible and put the rest to bills.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

EugeneJ posted:

Guns N' Roses just announced a massive archival box set of their Appetite for Destruction-era material:

Rumored price is $699

For an extra $1 they’ll throw in Chinese Democracy

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

Rumored price is $699

Why?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

An elaborate jest?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dorium posted:

whatever floats your boat!

:zoid:

i on the other hand just bought a piece of pop punk history with some of my tax return funds... now to be responsible and put the rest to bills.

That’s a great record. And it saddens me that based on your post, I’m guessing it costs a bad amount of money.

I always prefered Dude Ranch, but hey.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

EL BROMANCE posted:

That’s a great record. And it saddens me that based on your post, I’m guessing it costs a bad amount of money.

I always prefered Dude Ranch, but hey.

it wasn't too bad... $115 :chome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

The soundtrack album I really want to exist would be for Legion.
Same subject: WHERE IS MY RAVENOUS SOUNDTRACK?!