Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Darth TNT posted:

:psyduck: What did I just read.
What's wrong with a wild beast just being...a wild beast living in the trash?
I guess Skippy now has competition for worst force thing.

I suddenly feel like playing Dark Forces again and beating the crap out of the Dianoga in those games. This backstory somehow makes it much more fun.

Skippy rules actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

Paging JivJov.

Hi, what can I do for ya?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

Defend the Story Group's decision to make the dianoga's force sensitivity canon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

Defend the Story Group's decision to make the dianoga's force sensitivity canon.

From A Certain Point of View occupies an interesting space...what with the whole "40 short stories from random minor characters" thing. Yeah, the dianoga being force sensitive is silly...but its one short story, it doesn't fundamentally alter perceptions of the events of the films, and almost certainly won't come up again. Its silly...but on the whole, inoffensive.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol you don’t think in 3 years that doesn’t come up.

It will.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

jivjov posted:

From A Certain Point of View occupies an interesting space...what with the whole "40 short stories from random minor characters" thing. Yeah, the dianoga being force sensitive is silly...but its one short story, it doesn't fundamentally alter perceptions of the events of the films, and almost certainly won't come up again. Its silly...but on the whole, inoffensive.

I thought from now on all elements of Star Wars canon would be harmonized to tell a single story??? After all, the Story Group blocked out a six-year arc for the new sequel trilogy, giving them plenty of room to,

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

jivjov posted:

Arcsquad12 posted:

jivjov posted:

this exchange is better than anything in the new movies

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

General Battuta posted:

I thought from now on all elements of Star Wars canon would be harmonized to tell a single story??? After all, the Story Group blocked out a six-year arc for the new sequel trilogy, giving them plenty of room to,

I mean...nothing about the dianoga being force sensitive contradicts or conflicts with anything.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I’m starting to genuinely wonder if some of you folks might be misunderstanding the intent of a Star Wars book titled From a Certain Point of View

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To....to make money?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

To....to make money?

I think it's to tell stories people who want to read. Like how force sensitive tentacle monsters didn't really do anything and didn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

jivjov posted:

I mean...nothing about the dianoga being force sensitive contradicts or conflicts with anything.

Indeed, it even makes punching Dianoga in Dark Forces a better experience. :) It's a win for the Starwars Universe.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh it’s definitely not that

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Despite my trepidation for Solo, I scooped up my tickets tonight anyway. Damned if I’m going to not see a Star Wars movie the instant it comes out.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did Zahn write any stories that didn't relate to Thrawn and/or Mara Jade in some way?

I think there's some X-Wing comics he co-wrote with Stackpole but that's all that's occurring to me.

I know this is from a while ago, but yeah, he wrote Hammertong: the Tale of the "Tonnika Sisters" for Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina. It's pretty bog standard for him, just badass soldier types doing badass soldier things, but the Hammertong itself was just one of the eight Death Star lasers and had nothing to do with Thrawn or Jade.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He co-wrote Interlude at Darkknell. That "only" dealt with Garm Bel Iblis.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking recently about how the Bantam era felt a lot less integrated than Del Rey - was it a big deal when you got stuff like Pellaeon showing up in Darksaber? I feel like that must have been his first appearance since the Thrawn trilogy ended.

Conversely, it's interesting how Mara seemed like the only Zahn character that other authors really took to. She's briefly in the Jedi Academy trilogy, she's in New Rebellion and I'm fairly sure she's in the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy and possibly the Corellia trilogy (though I don't remember those quite so well).

At the same time, I don't think any of them were really sure what to do with her, so Zahn ended up retconning a lot of it (her being romantically involved with Lando turning into cover for a job they were doing etc.) in the Hand of Thrawn books.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was thinking recently about how the Bantam era felt a lot less integrated than Del Rey - was it a big deal when you got stuff like Pellaeon showing up in Darksaber? I feel like that must have been his first appearance since the Thrawn trilogy ended.
Darksaber was published only a couple of years after the Thrawn trilogy. I don't remember it being a bit deal though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Zahn also wrote Scoundrels, which is not only one of my favorite books of his, but one where not only do Mara and Thrawn not appear, I don't think Grand Admirals and Emperor's Hands are even mentioned. Plus it's a completely different genre from his usual stuff.

Since it features Han and Lando teaming up for a heist pre-ESB, I'm curious how it would read again after seeing Solo.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I vaguely do remember it being a big deal, because it was the "big bads" of the last two series (Thrawn Trilogy and JAT) teaming up. Of course, the results didn't quite live up to that. That being said, this was before I had internet, so the group it was a "big deal" to was my small circle of sci-fi friends I'd meet up with every week or two to play games with and talk Star Wars over.

No relation to this, but I was listening through some old Full of Sith episodes because for once I'm actually low on stored-up podcasts, and there's an episode from mid 2014 when they started to hear TFA spoilers that in retrospect we know were true. Their reactions are funny. "Luke just vanished? That doesn't make any sense! Well, I guess the plot must be all his Jedi students go looking for him... if the rumor about him vanishing is even true! And the villains have a superweapon that blows up a whole solar system? Some is just copying the Sun Crusher, that's not even trying to be a real rumor, it's just a joke! And Luke's lightsaber from ESB is going to be featured? That thing got lost on Bespin, it's just sour grapes from EU fans because the lightsaber was picked up in the Thrawn books!"

They actually seriously discussed those rumored plot points all being deliberate fakes spread by Abrams to obscure his actual storyline. Young fools....

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't see the big deal about the Dianoga. I mean, the way the Force works, there's bound to be several random creatures and people that are strong in it just out of chance. That doesn't make them secretly super important to the narrative.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

They actually seriously discussed those rumored plot points all being deliberate fakes spread by Abrams to obscure his actual storyline. Young fools....

While at the same time earnestly debating the possibility that TFA would tie into Rebels and discussing what role the Rebels characters would play in the new movies.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thrawn527 posted:

From a Certain Point of View really ended up being incredibly stupid, and I wish they hadn't bothered. There was, like, one good story in the whole thing.

a few of the stories were alright i liked taggs and moti's poo poo. mos eisley stories went on for way way to long.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

I don't see the big deal about the Dianoga. I mean, the way the Force works, there's bound to be several random creatures and people that are strong in it just out of chance. That doesn't make them secretly super important to the narrative.

It's not really a big deal. Thing is, it's such a small deal it makes you wonder, why bother with such a minute detail that has absolutely no value to the narrative and from a certain point of view even undermines the "tension" of the compactor scene.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't have known about it at all if I hadn't read it here and am content to ignore it going forward.

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

It's not really a big deal. Thing is, it's such a small deal it makes you wonder, why bother with such a minute detail that has absolutely no value to the narrative and from a certain point of view even undermines the "tension" of the compactor scene.

Wasn't the point of the book though to be a somewhat tongue in cheek look at A New Hope from a bunch of minor character's PoV? I don't think it was ever intended to matter in the grand scheme of things, it was just supposed to be a fun anniversary anthology

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

It’s not a big deal, but people thought that this was gonna be different from the old extended universe, and it won’t be. Plus like the old EU it isn’t how relevant something was, but how dumb it was. There are a lot of stories people laugh at that aren’t really relevant to anything but still dumb.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I will say that the woman who wrote the dianoga story, Nnedi Okorafor, is a really good author of her own stuff. Who Fears Death and Binti are great.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Certain Point of View just seems like a modern take on the 90s Tales of/from books which were all goofy little stories where you could tell the usual stable of EU writers were just enjoying flexing for 20 pages

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Corran's son took the continuity reboot kind of hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjOuoT15djM

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Initial reception of Solo is good?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i have heard basically that its alright, lando is great and han is passable and chewie is fun. the 1st third is eh but the rest is fun heist movie. if its fun and set piecey i may enjoy it. who knows.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Good, not great", "passable" or "not completely awful" is probably the best they can hope for.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Did anyone think it would be anything but bland.

Disney doesn’t really do bad movies outside the last Jedi.

Ok Age of Ultron as well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CharlestheHammer posted:

Disney doesn’t really do bad movies outside the last Jedi.

Wait what

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

jivjov posted:

Wait what

I edited in Age of Ultron it’s okay.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Once again showing that no one hates Star Wars like Star Wars fans do.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Did you guys even click on the link because most of the responses certainly don’t conjure bland.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I personally don’t care what they think.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CharlestheHammer posted:

I personally don’t care what they think.

So you haven't seen the movie...and you don't care about the thoughts of people who have seen the movie....you've just decided it's bland and you're running with that?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

jivjov posted:

So you haven't seen the movie...and you don't care about the thoughts of people who have seen the movie....you've just decided it's bland and you're running with that?
Yes. I feel pretty confident based on their track record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
It's the premier, of course people will say they enjoyed it, it's standard PR stuff

Though I do like the shade of the one lady who was like "there was fun to be had" :xd: