Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

LastInLine posted:

tbf it is far far away

be that as it may alex, those people have never been in my kitchen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

exmarx posted:

that time jon stewart made fun of nader for supporting trans rights

Kucinich

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
ubeki beki beki beki stan stan

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dongslayer. posted:

ubeki beki beki beki stan stan

charms
Oct 14, 2012

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fart niggas

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
That is treason, Johnny.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Fred Willard getting arrested for pounding off in a movie theater

I guess that doesn't have anything to do with politics, though. Trump?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

oh I found a real thing, in 1999 Joe Arpaio faked an assassination attempt during a campaign. The guy he arrested for it spent 4 years in jail before being found not guilty.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/a-phony-murder-plot-against-joe-arpaio-winds-up-costing-taxpayers-11-million-6629798

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

tinstaach posted:

oh I found a real thing, in 1999 Joe Arpaio faked an assassination attempt during a campaign. The guy he arrested for it spent 4 years in jail before being found not guilty.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/a-phony-murder-plot-against-joe-arpaio-winds-up-costing-taxpayers-11-million-6629798

hahahahhh holy poo poo i had heard this once and completely forgot

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Tortoiseburger posted:

That time Jon Stewart had John Yoo, of the Bush Administration AG Office of Legal Counsel and author of the "Torture Memos," on The Daily Show and served up softballs and jokes to him for 20 minutes while he promoted his book.

That time he had fuckin Dick Cheney on his show

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
that time he apologised for saying the bombings of hiroshima and nagasaki were war crimes

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
They weren't, though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volcott posted:

They weren't, though.

They are, actually

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He also loves to fawn over the troops at every opportunity

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Imagine how bitter Americans would be about it to this day of we'd ever suffered civilian casualties like we freely dish out

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

ikanreed posted:

Imagine how bitter Americans would be about it to this day of we'd ever suffered civilian casualties like we freely dish out

I'm still kinda bummed about the Battle of the Wilderness.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

I think some people are still upset about 9/11.

For content, there was also the time that there were 5 different spinoffs of the daily show with only one of them being passably entertaining.

Mekchu has issued a correction as of 00:17 on May 3, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The guy who played Bush on that show also played Bush in a serious made-for-TV movie about 9/11

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_9/11:_Time_of_Crisis

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

the world's preeminent civilization for hundreds and hundreds of years got conquered by drugs and then half conquered by some guy who thought he was jesus incarnate

and then it happened again lmbo :smugdon:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

exmarx posted:

that time he apologised for saying the bombings of hiroshima and nagasaki were war crimes

gently caress, thinking about this still pisses me off. He was absolutely right in the original argument he made, Truman is a war criminal, but he was too much of a pussy to stick to where his logic lead him.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Truman was a monster through and through

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

GalacticAcid posted:

Truman was a monster through and through

can i get a source on this? what did he do besides the nukes?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
korea

nsc-68

Cold War in general

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also dont forget the nukes

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
those too

also the USAF exterminated something like a quarter of North Korea’s population during the Truman presidency without even resorting to nukes

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

When a national rail strike threatened in May 1946, Truman seized the railroads in an attempt to contain the issue, but two key railway unions struck anyway. The entire national railroad system was shut down, immobilizing 24,000 freight trains and 175,000 passenger trains a day. For two days public anger mounted, and Truman himself drafted an irate message to Congress that called on veterans to form a lynch mob and destroy the union leaders:

"Every single one of the strikers and their demagogue leaders have been living in luxury.... Now I want you who are my comrades in arms ... to come with me and eliminate the Lewises, the Whitneys, the Johnstons, the Communist Bridges [all important union officials] and the Russian Senators and Representatives ... Let's put transportation and production back to work, hang a few traitors and make our own country safe for democracy."

His staff was stunned; but top aide Clark Clifford revised the original draft and Truman delivered a toned down version of the speech to Congress. Truman called for a new law, where any railroad strikers would be drafted into the Army. As he concluded his congressional address, he received a message that the strike had been settled on presidential terms; nevertheless, a few hours later, the House voted to draft the strikers. Taft killed the bill in the Senate.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lmao

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

weirdly he then went on to veto taft-hartley

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

When a national rail strike threatened in May 1946, Truman seized the railroads in an attempt to contain the issue, but two key railway unions struck anyway. The entire national railroad system was shut down, immobilizing 24,000 freight trains and 175,000 passenger trains a day. For two days public anger mounted, and Truman himself drafted an irate message to Congress that called on veterans to form a lynch mob and destroy the union leaders:

"Every single one of the strikers and their demagogue leaders have been living in luxury.... Now I want you who are my comrades in arms ... to come with me and eliminate the Lewises, the Whitneys, the Johnstons, the Communist Bridges [all important union officials] and the Russian Senators and Representatives ... Let's put transportation and production back to work, hang a few traitors and make our own country safe for democracy."

His staff was stunned; but top aide Clark Clifford revised the original draft and Truman delivered a toned down version of the speech to Congress. Truman called for a new law, where any railroad strikers would be drafted into the Army. As he concluded his congressional address, he received a message that the strike had been settled on presidential terms; nevertheless, a few hours later, the House voted to draft the strikers. Taft killed the bill in the Senate.

ok, that's heinous and i didn't know. i knew the rest but just lumped it into "cold war shittiness" that every president of the era bears as their cross

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WWE pro wreslter Kane, a man horribly disfigured due to burning his fanily and forced to wear a mask (only for it to be retconned into being pscyhologically scarred because he stopped wearing the mask and his face was fine), is running for mayor of Knoxville, TN.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lol what are his politics like

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i dunno but triple h hosed the corpse of his highschool sweetheart in one storyline lol

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i think hes a libertarian which is probably unsurprising for a pro wrestler

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He's running as a GOP candidate but beyond that I don't know anything specific.

Found his website.

https://jacobsformayor.com/

Not as good of a site as my HTML made Kane fan page from '98.

Edit - oh gently caress he's using a fire flame as a logo hahaha.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i heard kane on a podcast once and he seemed like a pretty genuine dude, idk

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Unfunny Poster posted:

He's running as a GOP candidate but beyond that I don't know anything specific.

Found his website.

https://jacobsformayor.com/

Not as good of a site as my HTML made Kane fan page from '98.

Edit - oh gently caress he's using a fire flame as a logo hahaha.

he's remarkably well-spoken and grounded in that 30 second cavuto interview clip

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ScrubLeague posted:

i heard kane on a podcast once and he seemed like a pretty genuine dude, idk

yeah all libertarians are pretty genuine in how they want to be rent seekers that live off a passive income of exploiting the plebes that weren’t lucky enough to be born into capital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

GalacticAcid posted:

lol what are his politics like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8xphl-CyvU