Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the gently caress is happening.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Martin Snazz posted:

I think this is the real crux of the problem. You're pontificating about a "dumbass trenchcoat superhero game," while other people seem to think it's a game about awful, inhuman parasites that walk on two legs. And the guys that think that parasites would probably do awful things seem to be the ones writing it.

So, you bring up "wicked buffs" for feeding on disenfranchised and abused people (at least, I assume that's why you bring it up), which makes sense for a game that's exploring a character's innate Humanity. Short term gains, long term losses. If we're actually playing a game about parasites that walk as men and pass in society - ones that are struggling with what remains of their Humanity - why wouldn't you put things like that, which promote suffering within the greater whole that is mankind? Force them to see what they're giving up for their "wicked buffs" and give some context to why they're not really human anymore?

Of course, if you're playing a "dumbass trenchcoat superhero," then it's stupid and exploitative.

It's a dumbass superhero trenchcoat game because that's all oWoD has ever been good at. You can talk all you want about personal horror and body disassociation but what exactly in the mechanics, setting, and metaplot of the oWoD actually facilitated that over a game that's ultimately a bunch of goth people brooding about how their superpowers make them special and different from the "normies"? I don't really have anything to say about OP's bad release schedule beyond that it's laughable, but the nWoD games do a far, far better job at actually creating a game about the horror of being parasitic monsters. I don't think the playtest scenario for Vampire 5e approaches the concept with any tact or sophistication and instead wallows in exploitative shock value. Nobody is going to learn a serious lesson on the nature of man feeding on a druggie and getting a celerity boost or a playtest scenario where one of the vampire PCs is a coded child molester. You know what somehow managed to be mature about its subject manner? The Wraith book on the Holocaust.

Martin Snazz posted:

Yeah, I can't really bridge this. In context, I was referencing the fact that they have well known names attached for the main game design. My interest in whom they happen to be outside of the books on my shelf is pretty minimal. Hite being a neoliberal republican doesn't really move the needle on the quality of his design or his status as a professional. There are games that he has done that I have no interest in, but nothing about that speaks to how he votes or what he has to say on any other platform. If he did something on the order of the harassment that Zak S is known for, then I'd reconsider. But he doesn't, so it's not an issue for me. My purity test isn't that stringent.

Well if it was just Ken Hite I wouldn't care, but he's just a cherry on top of an unpromising sundae. I noticed you've latched onto my dismissal of him as a neoliberal republican over trying to go to bat for Mark Rein•Hagen. Did you decide to look look up his recent activities and see his facebook meltdowns with attempts to smear critics by implying they're domestic abusers or was it the fact that he made a numerically broken d6-based game recently?

Good job attempting to defend Martin Ericsson, though. I'm not very hopeful about anything he's brought to oWoD so far. All nuWW has done as of now is insert reactionary lore revisions in books and provide a schlocky playtest draft of vampire rules. Historically that's never brought brilliant, necessary changes aged games desperately need. Maybe that Martin Ericsson's fault or maybe it's just someone else under him taking WW in that direction, but every interview he's given has implied he's all on board with it anyhow.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 3, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
doublepost

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

how there's 6 minutes between this one and the last one how did you do this.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I hosed up an edit?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Nuns with Guns posted:

I hosed up an edit?

Well... okay then :shobon:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Pollyanna posted:

An example of why most here dislike nuWW.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

oWoD forever

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

This was the perfect meme tweet when he made it so I'm glad it's seeing some use.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

This was the perfect meme tweet when he made it so I'm glad it's seeing some use.

And the crazy thing? Yeezy was right

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

oh noooooo pull up thread

I might be interested in GMing a Dungeon World game, but I don’t really know how games differ between live and play by post. If I did PbP, would I have to do something particularly different as a result? Am I expected to be more serious?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
For this dumb WW derail, please spare the general population and post in the White Wolf thread : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712435&pagenumber=540&perpage=40

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

oh noooooo pull up thread

I might be interested in GMing a Dungeon World game, but I don’t really know how games differ between live and play by post. If I did PbP, would I have to do something particularly different as a result? Am I expected to be more serious?

No? Just run it however you would like to run it.

The only consideration for PbP PbtA stuff is that the conversational nature of the game means lots of back and forth between you and the players, which means lots of posts, which means the game is going to move incredibly slowly if people are posting once a day.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lemon-Lime posted:

No? Just run it however you would like to run it.

The only consideration for PbP PbtA stuff is that the conversational nature of the game means lots of back and forth between you and the players, which means lots of posts, which means the game is going to move incredibly slowly if people are posting once a day.

That’s a good point...maybe PbP wouldn’t be the right place to start.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Or start with PbP, let it grind to a halt or flame out, lessons learned, try again with something else.

I hear play-by-Discord can be faster-moving, but I am too old to understand Discord so I've never given it a go.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kibner posted:

For this dumb WW derail, please spare the general population and post in the White Wolf thread : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712435&pagenumber=540&perpage=40

Doesn't seem like there's much else to discuss anyway besides a circular argument on OPP's business practices and whether or not nuWW could be possibly worse

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Japan just came out with a pretty cool looking RPG called Blind Mythos. The conceit is that books are starting to manifest their content in the real world and the players are bookmasters who can summon heroes from their favorite books to fight the evil corrupted book stuff. During character creation you make two characters; your bookmaster and their book hero partner who is made by combining ‘genres’ which are the classes for the game.

Are you a bad enough book nerd to save the world from the books people make Let’s Read threads about?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

potatocubed posted:

Or start with PbP, let it grind to a halt or flame out, lessons learned, try again with something else.

I hear play-by-Discord can be faster-moving, but I am too old to understand Discord so I've never given it a go.

Discord is irc with embeds and voip support.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Getsuya posted:

Japan just came out with a pretty cool looking RPG called Blind Mythos. The conceit is that books are starting to manifest their content in the real world and the players are bookmasters who can summon heroes from their favorite books to fight the evil corrupted book stuff. During character creation you make two characters; your bookmaster and their book hero partner who is made by combining ‘genres’ which are the classes for the game.

Are you a bad enough book nerd to save the world from the books people make Let’s Read threads about?

That's just F/GO

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

Doesn't seem like there's much else to discuss anyway besides a circular argument on OPP's business practices and whether or not nuWW could be possibly worse

if homeboy wants to do his Baghdad Bob act somewhere else, fine by me

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Plutonis posted:

That's just F/GO

Yeah it’s pretty unabashedly Fate with the serial numbers filed off.
Which I don’t consider a bad thing at all.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Getsuya posted:

Yeah it’s pretty unabashedly Fate with the serial numbers filed off.
Which I don’t consider a bad thing at all.

Finally a RPG where I can hang out with my friends Edmond Dantes, Scherazade, Carmilla, Beowulf and Nursery Rhyme...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
*pulls out a copy of the old testament*

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Splicer posted:

*pulls out a copy of the old testament*

Considering how Christianity is generally handled in Japanese pop culture I’d be stunned if the Bible wasn’t the main villain of the game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ProfessorCirno posted:

FF games' job systems work because they're, well, games, and written to work inside games, and written by people who are making games. They're all very mechanical. D&D classes are made by people who view their job as somewhere between amateur writer and another slightly worse amateur writer.

So last night I figured out that there are at least 3 unofficial Final Fantasy RPGs, not counting ones written in other languages or designed for play over chat. And FFD6 is strangely hard to find. I mean, I can google it and find links directly to PDFs, but it appears to have no webpage.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Halloween Jack posted:

So last night I figured out that there are at least 3 unofficial Final Fantasy RPGs, not counting ones written in other languages or designed for play over chat. And FFD6 is strangely hard to find. I mean, I can google it and find links directly to PDFs, but it appears to have no webpage.

It lived on the GitP forums while it was being worked on.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah it was tricky to find the latest one

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is 1.3 the latest version? I got that one.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Is 1.3 the latest version? I got that one.

Seems so, it's the one i used on my game last year

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Kibner posted:

Why would you do that. That thread is having a nice conversation between a real-life occultist and some dude's girlfriend about the semiotics of fashion, which has literally had in a handful of posts more actual discussion of mature themes than the entirety of nuWW. Just point this guy at at one of the OSR grog forums. That's more his speed.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Plutonis posted:

That's just F/GO

:shepspends:

Getsuya posted:

Considering how Christianity is generally handled in Japanese pop culture I’d be stunned if the Bible wasn’t the main villain of the game.

You gotta go deeper if you're talking about Japan. The Bible isn't just the main villain of the game, it's actually a piece of propaganda left behind by an alien race in order to foment conflict between mankind. Those who are in power in the Catholic Church who are in charge of interpreting 'the Word of God' are actually in constant communication with the alien race and receive 'blessings' from them in the form of 'miraculous' super-powers when finally cornered (e.g., the Pope can fire energy blasts from his mouth that cannot be blocked by any currently existing technology, on top of having enough strength to caber toss a mosque's minarets onto a city 50 miles away).

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 3, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LuiCypher posted:

:shepspends:

You gotta go deeper if you're talking about Japan. The Bible isn't just the main villain of the game, it's actually a piece of propaganda left behind by an alien race in order to foment conflict between mankind. Those who are in power in the Catholic who are in charge of interpreting 'the Word of God' are actually in constant communication with the alien race and receive 'blessings' from them in the form of 'miraculous' super-powers when finally cornered (e.g., the Pope can fire energy blasts from his mouth that cannot be blocked by any currently existing technology, on top of having enough strength to caber toss a mosque's minarets onto a city 50 miles away).

The Catholic part of me wants to scream in rage from the blasphemy, even if I won't deny that's both funny and accurate to what anime does

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Also what I do when I DM.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Getsuya posted:

this sounds dope as all hell

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

LuiCypher posted:

You gotta go deeper if you're talking about Japan. The Bible isn't just the main villain of the game, it's actually a piece of propaganda left behind by an alien race in order to foment conflict between mankind. Those who are in power in the Catholic Church who are in charge of interpreting 'the Word of God' are actually in constant communication with the alien race and receive 'blessings' from them in the form of 'miraculous' super-powers when finally cornered (e.g., the Pope can fire energy blasts from his mouth that cannot be blocked by any currently existing technology, on top of having enough strength to caber toss a mosque's minarets onto a city 50 miles away).

I'm going to make this game and get banned from DriveThruRPG

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Waffles Inc. posted:

this sounds dope as all hell

My character's name is Ghostwriter and their servant stand book buddy is William Gibson. Our Noble Phantasm ultimate attack shall be called 'Hack the Gibson' which allows us ultimate control of our immediate environment down to rewriting the laws of physics.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Ettin posted:

I'm going to make this game and get banned from DriveThruRPG

The only thing I would ask for is a free .pdf copy of the game, because that's about how much the idea is worth in comparison to the rest of the work that would go into the RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JanelleCShane/status/992060046908444683

tag urself I'm Jameless