Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I probably should have clarified that I just didn't really remember Xen's geography and specific set pieces, and didn't recognize those from that part of the game. On any of my old playthroughs, I think I only bothered going through Xen maybe twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Hell yeah, Xen has badass skybox art. Interested to see what the Black Mesa team does with it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I wish Nightdive could get their hands on Blood and the No One Lives Forever series. The latter of which I guess the tracking of who owns the rights for it is so convoluted no one actually knows but when Nightdive tried to do something with it all parties involved threatened a lawsuit because torts are hosed in America You might not know if you even own the rights but you sure as hell can sue like you do anyway! :laffo:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I wish Nightdive could get their hands on Blood and the No One Lives Forever series. The latter of which I guess the tracking of who owns the rights for it is so convoluted no one actually knows but when Nightdive tried to do something with it all parties involved threatened a lawsuit because torts are hosed in America You might not know if you even own the rights but you sure as hell can sue like you do anyway! :laffo:

Wasn't there a similar maze of bureaucracy involved in getting the System Shock license?

Wasn't it some insurance company that owned it?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wasn't there a similar maze of bureaucracy involved in getting the System Shock license?

Wasn't it some insurance company that owned it?
IIRC the rights were split between EA and an insurance company that wound up with their chunk through the Looking Glass bankruptcy. As I recall, the nascent form of Night Dive were lucky and got in touch with them right when they had new owners and were looking to somehow make a buck off this weird old thing they had. The rest is history...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Thank you nightdive, for going through insane amounts of legal bullshit to give us good old games

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
All the Redneck Rampage games on Steam plus some other crap for $4

Apparently they don't have soundtracks though which were probably the only redeeming feature

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Suckin' Grits is a pretty good time, admittedly.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wow Redneck Deer Huntin' is loving weird :stare:

I'd forgotten this even existed, it's not in the supposedly complete GOG pack

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

site posted:

Thank you nightdive, for going through insane amounts of legal bullshit to give us good old games

:yeah:

I'm pretty sure Night Dive are practitioners of dark magic(k)s

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

BattleMaster posted:

:yeah:

I'm pretty sure Night Dive are practitioners of dark magic(k)s

The NightDive Secret Discord of Secrets posted:

[10:02 AM] Kicker: 100% true
[10:02 AM] Kicker: ia! ia! cthulhu f'tagn and all that

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Just saying you can get NOLF here: http://nolfrevival.tk/

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Count me in as one of those weird Xen likers. I thought it was a great way to cap off Gordon's crazy rear end adventure. I loved exploring the islets and getting weirded out by the infinite void skyboxes. Imo what held it back was the technology at the time, and not really the design. I didn't think the handful of jumping puzzles were all that bad, and didn't seem any more demanding than what we got in research facility up until that point.

Definitely looking forward to the Black Mesa team's rendition. Also, that's when the dudes making the Classic Weapons pack are going to finally release the god damned thing after teasing everyone for, what, 4 loving years now?

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
*removed*

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 20, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I am excited for Ion Maiden! The devs said it would be in early access for about six months, so does that mean we could expect a full release sometime around August/September? And can you use more modern kb+m controls, for those of you who have already bought it?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I am excited for Ion Maiden! The devs said it would be in early access for about six months, so does that mean we could expect a full release sometime around August/September? And can you use more modern kb+m controls, for those of you who have already bought it?
Yeah, they're aiming for Q3 2018. Modern WASD-style KB+M is supported and I think it might be the default control scheme. Pretty much every action is rebindable outside of a few things like Quicksave.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 3, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Okay great! I've been kinda unimpressed with other recent takes on the retro-FPS genre but it seems like the dudes at 3D Realms know what they're doing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Between Overload, Ion Maiden and the Powerslave news there's some really cool retro FPS stuff to look forward to this year :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Oh yeah Overload is that new Descent-looking game, right? My friend and I used to play Descent II all the time at his house even though we always got lost on the third level.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Oh yeah Overload is that new Descent-looking game, right? My friend and I used to play Descent II all the time at his house even though we always got lost on the third level.

Yeah by the same developers as the original Descent. There's a demo on Steam, give it a try!

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Ion Maiden is being developed by Voidpoint, not 3DR even though just about every single news outlet seems to gloss over this. I don't normally care about these kind of things but the guys have been working away on Eduke32 for years so I wish more news outlets would actually take the time to give them some more recognition rather than just saying it's by 3DR.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Just waiting for DUSK Episode 3 at this point. From the screenshots they've shown, it looks like they're getting real weird with it :getin:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I only really recently got into Dusk and so far my favorite part was finding "DON'T GO IN THE MINES!" scrawled on the wall in a level that so far only had corpses in it and immediately turning to the right and seeing a sign that said "MINES". It got a good belly laugh outta me

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I only really recently got into Dusk and so far my favorite part was finding "DON'T GO IN THE MINES!" scrawled on the wall in a level that so far only had corpses in it and immediately turning to the right and seeing a sign that said "MINES". It got a good belly laugh outta me

Hahaha, that's great. poo poo, I need to play this.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Convex posted:

Yeah by the same developers as the original Descent. There's a demo on Steam, give it a try!
Yup, and it also comes out around the end of this month - apparently getting a $10 price hike when that happens, too. Went ahead and bought it alongside Black Mesa while the latter was on sale, will probably try it when it properly launches.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Dusk is fantastic and if episode 3 is as good as the first two then it'll be one of my favorite shooters ever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shoehead posted:

The part where they build up a very tense and creepy atmosphere complete with ascending stringy chords only to jump scare you with a 2D literal jpeg of a bedsheet ghost that slowly strolls past you made me pause because I was chuckling so hard.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

What's the lay of the land for Doom source ports and front ends?

I recently reformatted my computer so I've been reinstalling a bunch of classic staples, and updating their environments in the process. I found Simple Quake Launcher for Quake, which works fantastically to load any sort of mod and map for either Darkplaces or Quakespasm, but I can't seem to find a similarly elegant solution for Doom. I've always just manually messed with launch parameters for Zandronum/Skulltag/Zdoom in the past, but I'm now starting to want a more elegant solution to mirror my new Quake setup. Everything I see points to ZDL being the front end of choice for most, but as far as I can tell you have to manually define the paths of all your PWADs and IWADs before you can use them, which is far from elegant in comparison to SQL. I would also like to try out another source port to break out of my Zdoom comfort zone. So, two questions:
  • Is there a more SQL-like front end for Doom? i.e. one that can just automatically detect source ports and WADs once you point it to the appropriate directories.
  • What's the easiest source port to work with for a more vanilla Doom experience? i.e. something that strives for authenticity, but not so far as to prevent adaptability to modern systems.

EDIT: Maybe I should read the OP before I post. :v: Looks like the launcher by SavageMessiah fits my bill for a bit more elegant launcher, although still seems to lack PWAD detection. Question of what's the better "vanilla doom port" is still open, seems like it's either Chocolate Doom or PrBoom+.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 3, 2018

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Chocolate Doom is the most accurate to vanilla port by a long shot. PrBoom+ just has better compatibility with everything else short of ZDoom maps and mods, which makes it a better choice for exploring the wide world of the idgames archive (and friends).

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Jehde posted:

EDIT: Maybe I should read the OP before I post. :v: Looks like the launcher by SavageMessiah fits my bill for an elegant launcher. Question of what's the better "vanilla doom port" is still open though, seems like it's either Chocolate Doom or PrBoom+ though.

You've got at least 4 options, each filling a different purpose. Getting all 4 might even be desired.
  • Chocolate Doom: It's vanilla Doom, in the same way the Rocky is the eye of the tiger. Same limitations, same resolution, built to handle modern platforms. A good way to test custom maps for vanilla Doom compliance.
  • Crispy Doom: Basically Chocolate Doom with some more modern options, namely some additional resolution options and some static limits lifted a bit.
  • PrBoom+: Actually a Boom port, but also handles everything before it with various compatibility options. Is basically a Demo recorder's master tool as it plays back basically any Doom/Boom demo you throw at it, including even older version of Doom such as v1.6. As it's Boom port it's also a good way to play and test Boom maps as it supports every Boom feature properly.
  • Eternity: Originated from SMMU (which came from MBF, which came from Boom). Basically built around ZDoom's original philosophy, but with proper vanilla Doom support (so it can even play and record v1.9 demos). Notable for doing ZDoom's portals and dynamic polyobjects before ZDoom did. It's also the only port with a high precision software renderer, eliminating texture edge bleeding. It's also notable for having industry programmers who also never have time to work on it. :v:

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 3, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If you want a more up-to-date launcher, you may want to try this one.
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/69346-doom-launcher-doom-frontend-database-v261-22018/

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the blood rights are owned by atari i think who will not let them go for less than millions and millions because they are hella bankrupt

flying wild hog tried to get the blood rights a while back and that was the problem they ran into.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I also love QLZD, it's exactly the launcher that I want. IWAD selection looks pre-programmed in so I have to use the main GZDoom launcher to play, say, Adventures of Square or Strife: Veteran Edition, but it's such a minor complaint, and it's not like Adventures of Square has any mods yet.

I keep on being torn between Dusk and Ion Maiden, they both look so good but I can only choose one (unless I keep hemming and hawing until the summer sale hits maybe).

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Dusk's Dark Forces' Mines reference is fantastic. (And yes, I'm choosing that to be a Dark Forces reference)

But goddamn, Dusk just feels RIGHT. I was honestly a bit concerned because I have no love for Quake whatsoever, and Dusk appeared to adopt the art style.

Instead, Dusk just has a good innate sense of level design and flow, in a way I haven't seen in a good long while

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Narcissus1916 posted:

Dusk's Dark Forces' Mines reference is fantastic. (And yes, I'm choosing that to be a Dark Forces reference)

But goddamn, Dusk just feels RIGHT. I was honestly a bit concerned because I have no love for Quake whatsoever, and Dusk appeared to adopt the art style.

Instead, Dusk just has a good innate sense of level design and flow, in a way I haven't seen in a good long while

It's probably been 15-18 years since I played Dark Forces--what does the whole "mines" thing reference, exactly?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

catlord posted:

I keep on being torn between Dusk and Ion Maiden, they both look so good but I can only choose one (unless I keep hemming and hawing until the summer sale hits maybe).

Ion Maiden is pretty fun but Dusk is on a whole 'nother level. There's also 2 episodes of Dusk out while Ion Maiden has what feels like just one particularly long level at the moment.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Midair, the latest spiritual successor to Tribes launched on Steam today. It's developed by Archetype Studios, comprised of some former Garage Games developers who worked on Legions: Overdrive, another spiritual successor to Tribes. Garage Games also originally developed the Torque engine, which Tribes 2 was built on, and were a large part of the post-release updates that arguably saved the game. These guys probably have a longer history with the franchise than any developer of the actual Tribes IP since Dynamix folded.

Anyway, it's F2P, which is probably quite necessary for a Tribes game in 2018, I imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvDU5Sj8de4

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

that overload game is real fun. just like descent

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

not sure what to think of midair yet but it seems alright? definitely solid for its first actual day. the f2p leveling and unlock model is, as always, kind of bleh, but at least someone can spend 20 bucks or so to permanently unlock everything forever and when they release new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Doom Retro is my go-to source port for Doom level sets unless I NEED GZ/ZDoom. I love the mixture between classic feel and modern features.