Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How many Droid pilots are there? IGs and 4-LOM and?

An entire Separatist faction, perhaps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Strobe posted:

IGs and 4-L0M, Chopper, maybe Leebo counts?

Leebo is definitely a droid

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
The more I see about 2.0 the more I find to like.

PTL looks like it's gone. Instead ships have it baked in to certain actions. For example you might be able to take a focus and then do a red boost but not target lock and boost. I haven't seen any double reposition combos built in yet.

This is good for multiple reasons. Not only does it let the designers make ships fly differently using more than just the dial it also frees up the ept slot for ships that used to have ptl stapled to the pilot card.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I haven't seen an actual rules related thing that I don't like. This is kind of unprecedented for a miniatures game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

KongGeorgeVII posted:

The more I see about 2.0 the more I find to like.

PTL looks like it's gone. Instead ships have it baked in to certain actions. For example you might be able to take a focus and then do a red boost but not target lock and boost. I haven't seen any double reposition combos built in yet.

This is good for multiple reasons. Not only does it let the designers make ships fly differently using more than just the dial it also frees up the ept slot for ships that used to have ptl stapled to the pilot card.

ConfusedUs posted:

Stream today showed the TIE Interceptor with linked Boost > Roll and Roll > Boost actions (second one is red). Only one we know of with both.

A-Wings have Boost > Roll and just Roll.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Cool, seems fine to me. That's part of what makes interceptors feel like interceptors. The fact that a-wings are kind of the same but different is exactly why I think this is a step in the right direction.

e: engine upgrade is gone too. The falcon is apparently one of the only big ships to have a natural boost and it is red.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Afterburners is the new Engine upgrade, and although the boost is a free action, it only has 2-3 charges and you must complete a speed 3-5 manoeuvre. It's small - medium ship only.

The absolute best change is Blinded Pilot. It just means your next attack you can't modify dice, other than using the force! Balanced and Thematic!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

hoiyes posted:

The absolute best change is Blinded Pilot. It just means your next attack you can't modify dice, other than using the force! Balanced and Thematic!

indeed!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's also persistent until you repair. I love it. :allears:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Cool, seems fine to me. That's part of what makes interceptors feel like interceptors. The fact that a-wings are kind of the same but different is exactly why I think this is a step in the right direction.

e: engine upgrade is gone too. The falcon is apparently one of the only big ships to have a natural boost and it is red.

Yeah. Awings should be fuckin fast, and ints should be slippery.

Probably a stupid idea: the awing should maybe have red 1s and 2s, white threes, green 4s and 5s.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Stream said the only two ships that haven't had dials changed are the TIE fighter and the Lambda.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

Stream said the only two ships that haven't had dials changed are the TIE fighter and the Lambda.

Was that the exact wording? I recall them saying something like the dials changed on nearly every ship, with the TIE and Lambda being among those that didn't. Leaving room for others maybe.

I was only half paying attention tho. I could be mis-remembering.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Get a second, fancy damage deck if you pre-order. Includes a diagram of the physical location of each crit, and it's full-sized instead of mini sized.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/5/1/upgrade-your-damage-deck/

Automatic for any pre-order from FFG. Local retailers can get them too by contacting FFG.

It's like every loving day is Christmas here.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Get a second, fancy damage deck if you pre-order. Includes a diagram of the physical location of each crit, and it's full-sized instead of mini sized.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/5/1/upgrade-your-damage-deck/

Automatic for any pre-order from FFG. Local retailers can get them too by contacting FFG.

It's like every loving day is Christmas here.

The upside of this is that there'll be spare damage decks going around for even the poorest players who want to get in on 2.0.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hoiyes posted:

The upside of this is that there'll be spare damage decks going around for even the poorest players who want to get in on 2.0.

Yep!

I really can't believe how generous this 2.0 conversion is.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I’m so goddamned pumped over this still. I got in December of 2015 with the TFA core and went in hard. Problem was a lot of ships I wanted to fly were woefully outclassed, which was frustrating that a game called X-Wing has X-Wings as a ship be such rear end.

For those that were around when X-Wing was first announced back in 2012, was that what this is like? Excitement over the rules and gameplay?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ConfusedUs posted:

Yep!

I really can't believe how generous this 2.0 conversion is.
I'm impressed at how they're drip-feeding out the things they are doing to make the transition painless. I've gone from "gently caress no" to "eh, it'll be doable with some thought" better than any game since FoW 2nd/3rd ed switchover.

Ringo Star Get posted:

For those that were around when X-Wing was first announced back in 2012, was that what this is like? Excitement over the rules and gameplay?
My exact thoughts were "I don't need a third version of these rules nobody but me cares about" so I didn't bother for ages.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
That reddit post says that bombs *and munitions* happen in the systems step. So if you have a TL, you can fire a proton torpedo in the systems step, then do a regular primary attack in the engagement phase?

If so this seems like a significant boost to munitions.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

overdesigned posted:

That reddit post says that bombs *and munitions* happen in the systems step. So if you have a TL, you can fire a proton torpedo in the systems step, then do a regular primary attack in the engagement phase?

If so this seems like a significant boost to munitions.

Nah, the demo games all had the torpedoes fired during the normal combat phase.

Edit: You're misreading that post. Each item is its own thing and has no relation. So even though the line about munitions comes after the one about bombs, there's no intention of passing the timing along from one to the other.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

ConfusedUs posted:

Nah, the demo games all had the torpedoes fired during the normal combat phase.

Edit: You're misreading that post. Each item is its own thing and has no relation. So even though the line about munitions comes after the one about bombs, there's no intention of passing the timing along from one to the other.

Ah, poo poo, I got excited, but alas. Makes sense now.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I really hope that pre-order damage deck is available in Australia.

With World's being in October next year and tons more tickets available the Aussie Swarm might actually make it over in 2019.

I really can't believe how well thought out and fair this whole conversion is. From top to bottom it's been good idea after good idea.

Please don't let the app suck rear end.

darkroot
Apr 11, 2012

Strikers Over Scarif
I for one am friggin’ ecstatic that my Protectorate Starfighters are gonna be playable again. They’ve sat idle in my Plano for far too long.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

darkroot posted:

I for one am friggin’ ecstatic that my Protectorate Starfighters are gonna be playable again. They’ve sat idle in my Plano for far too long.

How have they been buffed?

Man that "wave 2+ will have conversion kits" will be awesome if they stick to it. That was pretty much my only red flag with 2.0, having to rebuy ships I don't need any more copies of.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

CODChimera posted:

How have they been buffed?

Man that "wave 2+ will have conversion kits" will be awesome if they stick to it. That was pretty much my only red flag with 2.0, having to rebuy ships I don't need any more copies of.

The problem will be if the new version of the ship is awesome. I already have two fangs, but these ones have moveable wings. That's nerd crack to me.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I’m so goddamned pumped over this still. I got in December of 2015 with the TFA core and went in hard. Problem was a lot of ships I wanted to fly were woefully outclassed, which was frustrating that a game called X-Wing has X-Wings as a ship be such rear end.

I had no idea the game was going to explode like it did back then, so I was looking at it as a casual game.

The regional I went to in 2013 had 4 players :niggly:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Let's see if I have all this right, so I can put in a pre-order and get that sweet full size damage deck.

Wave 1 has nothing that isn't in the Conversion Kits, minus the new Y-wing/X-wing and Fang Fighter sculpts. Otherwise, I have every ship from this coming wave.

This puts me at five T-65s with the Core, I already have four Y-wings. Another Fang wouldn't be bad as I only have one.

New Core Set: $40, includes T-65 and all the gubbins.
Rebel and Scum Conversion Kits: $50 each, includes literally everything needed to play old ships (minus, maybe, some cardboard for certain amounts of ships). I don't really care about Imperials at the moment.
Fang Fighter: $20

The Conversion set only has two each for X-wings and Y-wings, so I may have to eBay or trade the rest. I can't see myself buying a second kit just for that. Do we know if the expansions come with enough generics to cover the 2-3 I'd be missing after the Conversion Kits?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The limiting factor here is the new dials. You'll only have 3 new Xwing dials with conversion plus core. The Saw's Renegades pack will have a 4th, so one Xwing expansion will put you at 5 new dials.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Two of my Y-wings are Rebel and two are Scum. I suppose if four of the are still a viable list, I could snag two expansions at some point then. Do we have a release date for Saw yet?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I hope with the 2.0 models all of the large ships no longer lean slightly to the left

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

It looks like the general direction is to move away from the "90% of shots are more less fully modified" game we have today. Rarely allowing you to have both TL and focus, and making tons of abilities rely on the bullseye arc means that shots are often relying on one or no mods, and painful abilities are much harder to trigger. Which means we get a game where those crazy good shots/situations happen much less often. But that means that when you actually have an enemy ship perfectly lined up and have managed to get a focus and/or target lock and can trigger some cool ability, that moment is going to feel much cooler and more special than before. This, is to me, the most promising part of the new game. That moment-to-moment X-Wing is finally gonna "feel" special again.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The mods have definitely been toned down from the original, which is nice.

I kinda like the generics on highly maneuverable ships having PTL options, it might make the generic interceptor/A-wing/fang more interesting as dogfighters.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So some of the pilot cards have extra upgrades attached to them, like Darth Vader has the Advanced Targeting Computer now. How does that work? Do those pilots just have those now? That's literally the only part of 2.0 that's confused me :shobon:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Deleter posted:

So some of the pilot cards have extra upgrades attached to them, like Darth Vader has the Advanced Targeting Computer now. How does that work? Do those pilots just have those now? That's literally the only part of 2.0 that's confused me :shobon:

As far as I can tell, yes it's only the pilots that have it listed. Probably a way of including 0 point upgrades without cluttering the playfield with more cards. I imagine some of the Advanced pilots might not have that upgrade.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

The Deleter posted:

Those seem to be built in to all pilots of a specific ship. Maarek Stele in the TIE Advanced also had the new version of ATC.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Seems to me they rolled fix cards into their ships, but they have a named effect on their card to prevent double dipping with both built-in effect and upgrade card.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Iceclaw posted:

Seems to me they rolled fix cards into their ships, but they have a named effect on their card to prevent double dipping with both built-in effect and upgrade card.

They specifically mentioned there were pilot specials, and there were ship specials.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Those are “ship abilities,” and it’s what they’re doing in place of 0-point (or less) titles.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

There's a local Con happening in November, and I had submitted an X-Wing tournament as an event last month. Guess I'll be running a 2.0 tournament now. Should be a fun time, since most people will only have a couple of months with the new system. I'm hoping I can get some FFG prize support or something.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Funzo posted:

There's a local Con happening in November, and I had submitted an X-Wing tournament as an event last month. Guess I'll be running a 2.0 tournament now. Should be a fun time, since most people will only have a couple of months with the new system. I'm hoping I can get some FFG prize support or something.

That's just a matter of finding a friendly local gaming store and having them order you a tournament kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It would not shock me if Guri's ability were changed to give a robofocus.