Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The best thing in TPP is developing a better silencer for one gun and putting in on a different one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Wolfsheim posted:

It also helps that, probably due to the limited number of missions, Kaz has a lot of unique dialogue throughout depending on the order you accomplish mission tasks and if you do extra tasks/etc, whereas in TPP they literally recording Ocelot saying "That's an enemy gunship. One burst from his main cannon can rip you in half. Stay low and crawl along the ground, boss!" the one time and so you have to hear it literally every single time a gunship is within 500 feet of you.

I do like Ocelot saying that there's sheep around. No followup, no context, no nothing.

Pressing the codec button in general is extremely useless outside of main missions. It's either Ocelot telling you that sheep and goats exist, Miller telling me to get more manpower when the waiting room is already overflowing, telling me how to start a mission when my completion rate is somewhere around 60% or just some dumb poo poo like if you destroy their power source they will not have power and if you destroy their communications equipment they are unable to communicate.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
TPP isn't very good.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
TPP isn't very finished.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Gotta make up your own fun in a three year old game.

Try this: Extreme Backup Backdown
D Horse as your buddy
Only allowed to use guns and grenades (including an anti-tank sniper rifle)
Only allowed to shoot on horseback
Only allowed to shoot when D-Horse is galloping
If you fall off you have to get back on before firing

Bonus points: play ride of the valkyries on your Walkman, play as a female soldier in a bikini

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 4, 2018

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

TPP needs a separate campaign built around the water pistol.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Nah. The Kojima extraction mission sucks except for the fact that you're rescuing Kojima. Plus I'd say missions like Pitch Dark and Blood Runs Deep surpass all of the GZ missions except maybe the main one. But for sure I would have loved more like the GZ intel mission and more Peacewalker-esque sideops including silly ones. I learned quickly with sideops to use all the different toys in the toybox for them, but even then the lack of variety is still apparent.

At the very least it actually used the fact that the helicopter has a machine gun and you can fire from it. This is otherwise a wholly wasted feature.

corn in the bible posted:

TPP isn't very good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You use the helicopter mini gun at least once in TPP, and there’s that one mission where you can beat it with the mini gun before you even land

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

you have pointed out two use scenarios

in an 80 hour game

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

you have pointed out two use scenarios

in an 80 hour game

Can it truly be called an 80 hour game when 70 hours of it is just spent in transit from point A to point B?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gortarius posted:

Are these missions for the console versions? Because I don't recall seeing any of this on the PC.

Also if the post-game is really just this endless tedium then I might as well stop playing and just lament on what the game could've been.

The raiden mission is hidden and needs to be unlocked, but I'm pretty sure the rest are available immediately after completing the main mission.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gortarius posted:

I do like Ocelot saying that there's sheep around. No followup, no context, no nothing.
Ocelot just likes sheep. He wants his idol to know there are sheep because he likes sheep. Don't read too much into it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
If you have the PC version, there's a side ops pack someone made on the nexus that had some pretty challenging side ops like "Rescue the filmmakers" or "Rescue CIA Agent" that had a little description flavor and not "RESCUE HOSTAGE 8".

I really enjoyed the CIA Agent one because it was the same area as Kaz's interrogation, but it had better and more frequent enemy placements, and it was much tougher to squeeze around enemy patrols. You had the option of either killing the agent or rescuing him via helicopter for more GMP.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

At the very least it actually used the fact that the helicopter has a machine gun and you can fire from it. This is otherwise a wholly wasted feature.

There actually isn't a machine gun on the GZ helicopter, you just had infinite ammo with whatever weapon you were using while riding in it :eng101:

And I still like TPP and there's a few times where the mission changes things up so 'fulton every human in a square mile, then go to the next square mile and do it again' isn't viable for whatever reason which was appreciated.

Theres just...so much there that is entirely useless. Like, I don't think I used a shotgun once because every enemy in the game could be easily tranqed, killed with a single headshot from the silenced rifle you start with or was so armored up that only the highest-end sniper rifle or explosives could damage them at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

To be fair that’s pretty much every weapon in every Metal Gear. It got crazy bloated in 4 and 5 with completely useless variations and attachments of course but the tranq gun and sniper rifle were all you needed before too.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 3, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Wolfsheim posted:

Theres just...so much there that is entirely useless. Like, I don't think I used a shotgun once because every enemy in the game could be easily tranqed, killed with a single headshot from the silenced rifle you start with or was so armored up that only the highest-end sniper rifle or explosives could damage them at all.

Suppressed stun shotgun was really fun and OP.

I really liked TPP, but GZ just does all the good things TPP does without the mess. So it's a better, distilled experience. I agree that may be primarily bc Fultoning isn't an option.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I had a really tough time getting into GZ because guards would fade in and out all the time and I didn't really get how anyone was supposed to deal with that and avoid them if you can't see them from a distance. So I was pretty glad that didn't make it into TPP.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I had a really tough time getting into GZ because guards would fade in and out all the time and I didn't really get how anyone was supposed to deal with that and avoid them if you can't see them from a distance. So I was pretty glad that didn't make it into TPP.

In TPP, it's quite possible to see guards that the game considers too far away to snipe.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
One of these days I really need to replay TPP without Fultons or tranqs. It was still a really drat good game, but it's balanced like garbage. The other games have this problem, but the freedom of movement just makes it even more exaggerated.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

TPP needs a separate campaign built around the water pistol.
Remember how Peace Walker had those side missions where you were equipped with only a banana and had to hold everybody up with it?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Yeah, it was great. And you healed yourself with Doritos that BIG BOSS INVENTED instead of just some goddamn Bactine spray.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yeah, it was great. And you healed yourself with Doritos that BIG BOSS INVENTED instead of just some goddamn Bactine spray.

More accurately, Big Boss kidnapped a bunch of soldiers, brainwashed them, then forced them to work as research scientists developing the latest in weapons, stealth technology, and delicious snacks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

lol I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to S rank Hellbound and then I remembered about the fast travel system I never used at all during the game. Turns a 20 minute mission into a 5 minute mission. It's even easier to get to the lab from the delivery point than the front gate that you can sprint most of the way.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Look Sir Droids posted:

I really liked TPP, but GZ just does all the good things TPP does without the mess. So it's a better, distilled experience. I agree that may be primarily bc Fultoning isn't an option.
100% agreed. You can tell that Kojima had time to polish GZ but not TPP.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Kojima had enough time to polish TPP, but he instead polished something else when he came up with Quiet.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
There was a thing where I liked playing Mega Man X so goddamn much i kept playing it and replaying it. Then I got bored and there was a point where i stopped using the weapons that were strong against the mavericks, stopped using the upgrades, learned to move without the dash, get my rear end kicked, try to be better, then put it down. I think of a few games where i loved it and just kept experimenting with useful and useless things to get more life out of it.

I think this with Phantom Pain in a way. I got bored to a point where the ending really put me off then i decided to be the rear end in a top hat the game wanted me to be, and make a nuke and just murder everything. The base game exceeded my expectations in every way, and the story line really disappointed me. I didn't really want the game to be an arguement between Kojima and Konami, but here we are.

Anyway I just got bored and started using the weapons i never bothered using because they didn't have a silencer and just hosed around and then put it down. My recommendation is to get this game on the PC outright and download infinite heaven, and if you can stick with the menu, you'll get a lot more out of the game because Konami sure as poo poo won't.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Scalding Coffee posted:

Kojima had enough time to polish TPP, but he instead polished something else when he came up with Quiet.
You should be ashamed of your words and deeds.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Playing without Fulton or a HUD made me appreciate Phantom Pain a shitload more. The game became much more tense and enjoyable, and this was after I'd already gotten like 80 hours of enjoyment already. Even then, it's still pretty drat fun to cut loose and play like you're a boss in an earlier MGS game - controlling the weather and using all the parasite powers to gently caress poo poo up.

I really wish Phantom Pain had differing difficulty levels though. I loved GZ's hard mode.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What’s the state of PP mods like these days?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Infinite Heaven and the side op compilations are brilliant

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I never finished those but they’re great end-game/post-game content

revolther
May 27, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Gotta make up your own fun in a three year old game.

Try this: Extreme Backup Backdown
D Horse as your buddy
Only allowed to use guns and grenades
Only allowed to shoot on horseback
Only allowed to shoot when D-Horse is galloping
If you fall off you have to get back on before firing

Bonus points: play ride of the valkyries on your Walkman, play as a female soldier in a bikini
If you sprint through the first few missions of the game, only developing the prompted gear, this is the defacto setting and loadout for this mission, and it's pretty rough.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I should add that one of the guns should be an armor-piercing sniper rifle, and getting into jousting battles with tanks is pretty awesome

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well I apparently went the whole regular game and a ton of the post game without ever extracting the prisoner from Backup Back Down that gave you access to the “medical” hand upgrades. That stuff would have been nice to have at a few parts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Terminally Bored posted:

TPP isn't very finished.

It really isn't. The overall gameplay is excellent, but Kojima got high on his own "mobile games are the future" farts that he started when doing Peace Walker, and as a result the game just became intolerably grindy.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I started playing metal gear rising. I don't really know this rainden's backstory having only played GZ and TPP before... But I'm having a lot of fun with the cheesy powermetal music. The controls for blocking hits loving suck and the camera is wonky but it's still fun. I just beat the robot dog. I tried it probably 20 times straight. Gave up and probably said some racist things about the Japanese. Then a week later I came back and beat it first try.

Now I'm fighting some hulk guy in the sewer.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

jonathan posted:

I don't really know this rainden's backstory having only played GZ and TPP before...
You should play 2 at some point then because it'll give you his backstory and also it's accidentally aged loving amazingly plot-wise (controls still suck, though)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You should play 2 at some point then because it'll give you his backstory and also it's accidentally aged loving amazingly plot-wise (controls still suck, though)

https://twitter.com/Ryan_Socks/status/936754025101488128

https://twitter.com/Chinnerdomain/status/994271496456622080

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I played it like 10 years after it came out the first time and it blew my mind. I think it’s the best game in the series plot wise now. Absolutely need to play MGS1 first though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
just a reminder: Kojima is loving awful at video game storytelling