Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Relin posted:

i cant read his work, the faces and bodies put me off too much

the faces are a little weird yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Holyland/Suicide Island's people look like aliens who put on human skins over their skeletal structure and never look quite right.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Ancient Magus Bride.

Jesus, what a dense, heavy chapter. I did not watch the anime except for a few clips early on, how does it end? I heard it reached up to a recent chapter and then had a finale, was it anime-only, and if so, what was it? I felt like this chapter was about the finish the series proper, but it looks like it's closing one book and opening up another.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Captain Invictus posted:

new Ancient Magus Bride.

Jesus, what a dense, heavy chapter. I did not watch the anime except for a few clips early on, how does it end? I heard it reached up to a recent chapter and then had a finale, was it anime-only, and if so, what was it? I felt like this chapter was about the finish the series proper, but it looks like it's closing one book and opening up another.

Nope, the anime ended almost the exact same way, barring the entire College stinger.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

for anyone that's read holyland, how's the author's other series'?

Here's what I had to say about Suicide Island some pages back:

amigolupus posted:

Was Suicide Island the one where people in Japan who tried committing suicide were sent off to a remote island because no one wanted to deal with them, except the characters decided to try living there instead?

I remember the early parts where they adjusted to living in the island pretty cool, like how they had to get food/water/shelter, have to keep healthy and support each other from falling back into suicidal thoughts. And there was a trans character who came out and everyone was supportive of her.

But then the author introduced this shithead character from a different camp who's soooo strong and somehow charismatic that he managed to form a cult around them. And how said camp treated women they capture like sex slaves, with some graphic depictions. I tried to keep going, thinking the characters would just kill the rear end in a top hat cultist and get it over with, but I got to the bit where the cultists captured the trans character and the leader raped her and I just decided to drop it there. :gonk:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I want to see the author of Suicide Island/Holyland, because I get the impression the guy fancies himself some sort of badass Man of the Wilderness who grew up on the rough streets of LA and shuns the luxuries of modern life, but IRL I bet he plays idol rhythm games on his smart phone.

Apparently he has a new manga where some guy is transported into the stone age. I don't know what it is with this author and vicariously living some rugged life through his manga characters.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It bums me out there's a manga with the amazing premise "every twenty years the ghost of Tecumseh possesses his descendant and kills the US President" and it's wasted on a bunch of schoolgirl tits and piss jokes. It's called 'Red Princess something-something' but I'm so totally disappointed I forgot the full name already.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Ytlaya posted:

I want to see the author of Suicide Island/Holyland, because I get the impression the guy fancies himself some sort of badass Man of the Wilderness who grew up on the rough streets of LA and shuns the luxuries of modern life, but IRL I bet he plays idol rhythm games on his smart phone.

Apparently he has a new manga where some guy is transported into the stone age. I don't know what it is with this author and vicariously living some rugged life through his manga characters.

He almost certainly is, because also pretty much all the fighting advice in Holyland that comes "from the author" is extremely, extremely wrong in very specific ways and would either hurt you or get your rear end BTFO

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
I remember the basic boxing stuff being correct aside from the idea of the guy getting super strong by punching the air alone in his bedroom

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mighty Dicktron posted:

He almost certainly is, because also pretty much all the fighting advice in Holyland that comes "from the author" is extremely, extremely wrong in very specific ways and would either hurt you or get your rear end BTFO

Are there any posts that elaborate on this?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

halleys comet posted:

I remember the basic boxing stuff being correct aside from the idea of the guy getting super strong by punching the air alone in his bedroom

Baki shadowboxing against an imaginary giant mantis

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RatHat posted:

Are there any posts that elaborate on this?

There's one I remember where, IIRC, the author explained that backing yourself into a corner is somehow beneficial if you're a fighter specializing in kicking.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I caught up with "We are the Beatles" and it's really nice to read one of these "using knowledge of the modern world/the future in the past/parallel world" stories that actually tackles with the ethics of doing that sort of thing.

My guess is that at some point they're going to start writing unique music that Ray writes instead of copying off the Beatles, though it's going to be pretty drat implausible if this Japanese guy ends up able to write English-lyric music of the same popularity as the Beatles' stuff. Maki is also likely going to figure out something is up soon; to be honest it was kind of stupid of them to start out with the Beatles' early stuff that they've actually probably written by this point, but I guess Makoto actually wants the Beatles to realize what's going on.

edit: It's pretty fuckin hilarious how they have the Ringo cover artist guy play drums and everyone is like "HOLY poo poo I'VE NEVER HEARD ANYTHING LIKE THIS MIND-BLOWING DRUMMING BEFORE!!!"

Also people acting like "I want to hold your hand" is some incredibly amazing and deep song.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 5, 2018

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Boku wa Beatles is some good poo poo.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I love the period stuff like how everyone is playing Hawaiian music at all the concert venues.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pewdiepie posted:

I love the period stuff like how everyone is playing Hawaiian music at all the concert venues.

Yeah, the author/artist does a really good job of keeping all the locations and clothes and stuff consistent with the period.

One recent part that was pretty funny was when Maki is in Liverpool and is like "the song Yesterday perfectly captures the atmosphere of this foreign land!" Speaking of Maki, I feel like it's gonna hit her pretty hard when she finds out that these aren't the Fab Four's original songs, since she's so excited about the idea of Japanese people producing this music that can cross cultural barriers.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://mangadex.org/manga/13938/shin-national-kid

mostly not too gross maruo

there's a two page comic where michael jackson hits people with a bat while dancing and then explodes

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
New Grand Blue is amazing

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I started reading Gantz after seeing that the artist also did Inuyashiki. I'm about halfway through and I have no idea why anything is happening. It's just endless fights with a rotating cast of characters who show up, have maybe 10 lines, then get butchered by the aliens. Is anything ever explained?

It's not the most misanthropic manga I've read, but it's up there.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Galvanik posted:

I started reading Gantz after seeing that the artist also did Inuyashiki. I'm about halfway through and I have no idea why anything is happening. It's just endless fights with a rotating cast of characters who show up, have maybe 10 lines, then get butchered by the aliens. Is anything ever explained?

It's not the most misanthropic manga I've read, but it's up there.

When you get tired of it just stop. The premise / earlier parts start out well but once it goes downhill it never really comes back and the ending is one of the worst ones out there. Honestly finishing it will just piss you off.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Really liked how it started. Should have stopped earlier. I think I just stopped reading at something like one of the lasr five chapters.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Remember he dressed like a black man and then did the mass shooting and that guy getting a tit job, wtf that was so bad and I'm glad I dropped it early

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I thought I could finish. But no. It was the the guy beating the toddler to death.

Can someone just tell me what the point of all this was and why it happened?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Galvanik posted:

I thought I could finish. But no. It was the the guy beating the toddler to death.

no

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Galvanik posted:

There is no point, and it was aliens.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Galvanik posted:

You have not known true rage until you get to the scene where Einstein shows up

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gantz and Shamo are probably the top 2 on my list of "Just stop reading when it gets less interesting because the endings just induce rage"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gantz has a lot of good parts but is not good overall. if you are curious about the ending, just watch this helpful video to get the full experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmIuXyiEzCE

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Gantz is good if you aren't a brainlet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ah, i see that the video i posted was your theme song.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sometimes you just post in the middle of a heated Gantzing moment

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Realtalk: Gantz was at it's best when it showed a regular pervy rear end in a top hat becoming a better person via forming real and eventually loving human connections, set in a story where every character was under a threat of death that didn't feel gratuitous or like the author was just being cruel to the readers. It had some questionable moments but I really enjoyed almost all of the early series. The ending I wanted was one where Kuruno successfully resurrected all his friends, solved the mystery of who Gantz was, and got to live a well-deserved happy life with Tae.

Of course none of that happened and the entire thing fell apart.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Dungeon Meshi/Delicious In Dungeon chapter 44: https://mangadex.org/chapter/322022/1

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Dungeon Meshi/Delicious In Dungeon chapter 44: https://mangadex.org/chapter/322022/1

This chapter raises a deep, complicated question: Could a vegetarian eat Barometz chops?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

the colour out of space manga is cool as hell

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Link?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
https://mangadex.org/manga/23919/h-p-lovecraft-s-the-colour-out-of-space

I really like the art on this one.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Of all the ideas for manga someone went ahead and made one about the "HAVE YOU SEEN THIS MAN"

The name is, appropriately, "this man"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's an SCP light novel in production too.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I would have thought the collaborative nature of the SCP website would have made monetisation a landmine, unless they dump everything but the central conceit of "there is an organisation that catelogues and stores dangerous/weird poo poo".