Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/992034567195451392?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheDemocrats/status/638376415944159232

if he wins the primaries he's gonna win the general

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

todays popular scientists arent even scientists, Dawkins hasnt done anything relevant in decades and was never on the same level as guys like Hawking to begin with, Nye was an engineer whos spent the last couple decades as a childrens entertainer, Tyson has never done anything but coast in a science-themed administration gig he got because he was buddies with Sagan, and so on

sort of like how peterson, the rising star of right-wing ideology is a braindead charlatan whos more transparently full of poo poo when he talks than Hillary Clinton and fits the "dumb persons idea of what a smart person sounds like" description better than newt could dream of and yet because hes given a platform and speaks authoritatively he continues to grow in popularity

most people are so loving stupid they shouldnt be trusted with any major decisions let alone the ability to participate in any process which has serious material consequences for others, because theyve been socially conditioned into domesticated animals incapable of even conceptually challenging authority, and i dont think this can be fixed we are all hosed

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

it always meant racism lol

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

This is revisionists af

Teenagers have always been racist

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Volcott posted:

Infinity war spoiler.

lol

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mr. t ATE my balls

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

where'd you get these from? also what

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/991818381236973568

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

the dc metro workers did this last time they went on strike

seems waaaay more effective than shutting down service to get the public onto your side

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

seems waaaay more effective than shutting down service to get the public onto your side
Holy poo poo, does it ever!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
https://twitter.com/VK_HM/status/991864439136772096/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

this isnt really fair though, the ones on the left are actual significant scientists, the dudes on the right are entertainers

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the dc metro workers did this last time they went on strike

it's one of those alternatives to a straight up strike that liberals keep pushing here because it's completely ineffective in applying any sort of pressure and because any losses will just come up when they're looking for excuses to slash more routes or privatise public transport in its entirety.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

R. Mute posted:

it's one of those alternatives to a straight up strike that liberals keep pushing here because it's completely ineffective in applying any sort of pressure and because any losses will just come up when they're looking for excuses to slash more routes or privatise public transport in its entirety.

i’m not buying it management loses money either way

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

R. Mute posted:

Ok, so if you think the problem is a political backlash then how does a full on strike protect those routes?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this isnt really fair though, the ones on the left are actual significant scientists, the dudes on the right are entertainers

i think that's the point, that both popular culture and the scientific field broadly have degenerated to a frightening degree

poo poo, recent evaluations of studies done over the past few decades have concluded that medical and nutritional studies are so poorly constructed and conducted that at least half are wrong and all are highly suspect

most natural sciences still teach the history and philosophy of science to some degree but it has become increasingly acceptable within the culture to reject them

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Ok, so if you think the problem is a political backlash then how does a full on strike protect those routes?
no, i think the problem is that a fare strike doesn't actually put pressure on management/politicians. it's easily ignored. the power of a strike is that it disrupts, that it can't be ignored. the whole logic of a fare strike is based on the idea that the management of a public company and politicians actually want it to make money - which is definitely not the case.

and the very problem it avoids (ie public dissatisfaction) is part of how strikes in the public sector work. public dissatisfaction isn't just a problem for the striking workers, but also for the government.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

the people who get angry at public service unions having the audacity to strike aren't going to ever support unions or anything else good anyway so gently caress em

you dont need everyone on your side, only enough

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

not collecting fees strike like that could work if directed against a private company, but yeah I don't see it doing much good for a public one.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

R. Mute posted:

no, i think the problem is that a fare strike doesn't actually put pressure on management/politicians. it's easily ignored. the power of a strike is that it disrupts, that it can't be ignored. the whole logic of a fare strike is based on the idea that the management of a public company and politicians actually want it to make money - which is definitely not the case.

Municipal governments are starved for revenue at every turn, and can't issue money or easily finance their way out of debt. They for drat sure want public transit to be making money, the same way they want cops to issue tickets.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

finding a history of science course in the very long history course catalog was beyond my capabilities, but i can say for sure that while my undergrad offers philosophy of science (plus some discipline-specific courses), they are neither required nor incentivized in any way for science majors. in fact i didnt know we even had them until now,

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/nitrodong/status/991834250650505216?s=19

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Best Giraffe posted:

finding a history of science course in the very long history course catalog was beyond my capabilities, but i can say for sure that while my undergrad offers philosophy of science (plus some discipline-specific courses), they are neither required nor incentivized in any way for science majors. in fact i didnt know we even had them until now,

At my university it wasn’t the History dept which offered the history of science courses, but an interdepartmental group within the science faculty. Also most courses I took included a fair bit of history in terms of here is the progression of our understanding of the universe. There was also a philosophy of science paper offered by the philosophy department. It wasn’t widely advertised but was strongly encouraged by the 2nd and 3rd year lecturers.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlaPy4-ooNU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
OMG, it's just panels from the comic crudely animated to match a radio drama

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
why would shapiro be against this

THS
Sep 15, 2017

shapiro is a Serious Conservative

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/casparsalmon/status/992002605005131779?s=21

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Yandat posted:

shapiro is a Serious Conservative
even they tacitly approve of conspiretards now tho

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

i would do anything for trump
i'd book flight to moscow and back
i would do anything for trump
to get the piss tape back and that's a fact

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
https://twitter.com/MemriTV_fan2/status/992214653072691200?s=19

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

westworld was right, the sexbot genocide of humanity cant come soon enough

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
The question of whether a fare-holiday strike works against municipal employers is irrelevant in this case, as both Okaden Bus and Ryobi Bus are subsidiaries of the same private conglomerate and the strike coincides with an attempt to pare low-margin routes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

yeah, but isn't that the point? pop-scientists have a totally reductive view that denies the equal importance of other disciplines, and it's their position the drooling hogs who loving Love Science listen to and endlessly promote