Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dyna Soar posted:

also in book of the new sun, the narrator is constantly lying to you, so that adds another layer or surreality to the story when things that happen don't quite fit the established narrative because the main character has told you the story from his perspective, often witholding important facts or plain changing them.

it's a great book and wolfe is the nabokov of science fiction.

My Truthsayer has subtly signaled to me with Chakobsa hunting signs that you all may trust these words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

You don't have to disagree with Starship Troopers to know it's boring and bad.

i disagree with you! parts of it were somewhat boring, but as a whole it's definitely not boring and i wonder why you seem to think that. on the contrary, apart from a few passages it's very fast paced. i mean hell, it is about blowing poo poo up and fighting bug monsters. now the politics you (and i) can disagree with, but is it BORING? gently caress no.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Stolen from the YOSPOS pics thread:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, politics aside it loving sucks, it has 2 decent action scenes and the rest is tedium.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Stolen from the YOSPOS pics thread:

Lol

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Doc Hawkins posted:

I liked the book more before I made a deliberate read-through of nearly all of Heinlein's work. Coming off his previous decade of work, Starship Troopers reads like one of his YA novels, except 50% longer and no fun. I'm not saying bad, it's just ... Between Planets is about a displaced person when a war breaks out, who goes off to become a jungle-based guerrilla fighter not out of love of country, but just because that's where he ended up when the fighting began. And in the same book, the main character teaches a Venerean Dragon named Sir Isaac Newton the true meaning of the word shucks. (While, if I recall right, Sir Isaac is getting drunk off maple syrup.)

It's a much more fun book, but I imagine it does a bit less for military recruitment.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Is it possible to make a good movie of this book?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dog Friday posted:

Is it possible to make a good movie of this book?

It’s one of the few times where the hobbit treatment would be justified, I think. Without splitting it into two-three movies I don’t think you can properly pull it off.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the main people who tried are jodorowski who was overbudget before shooting even began and never had a chance, and lynch, who might've had a decent cut but de laurentiis fuckery got us what we have, and it's servicable.

Villeneuve's word is that his Dune project is now two movies and 2020 is the earliest we might be hearing about it more seriously.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Communist Walrus posted:

Starship Troopers was one of the reasons I decided to join the Army. Not because of the power armor or the interstellar wars or even the militarist philosophy, but because of the camaraderie among the troops that Heinlein wrote about (also because I was young, naive, and impressionable). Wikipedia says it's the only sci-fi book on the Army's recommended reading list, presumably for that reason.

lmfao

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the lynch movie is a triumph of insane cinema and a flawed masterpiece, i hope no one ever tries again at Dune

THS
Sep 15, 2017

everything about that film owns

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Yandat posted:

the lynch movie is a triumph of insane cinema and a flawed masterpiece, i hope no one ever tries again at Dune

agreed, its one of my favourite SF movies. it's balls in weird scifi, something they don't really do anymore.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 3, 2018

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Communist Walrus posted:

Starship Troopers was one of the reasons I decided to join the Army. Not because of the power armor or the interstellar wars or even the militarist philosophy, but because of the camaraderie among the troops that Heinlein wrote about (also because I was young, naive, and impressionable). Wikipedia says it's the only sci-fi book on the Army's recommended reading list, presumably for that reason.

Lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Oh man. I’m all for burning books now

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Yandat posted:

i want to see another attempt but it has to be like an old-school epic. lavish sets and costuming, the entire thing filmed on 70mm film, entr'acte and minimum one intermission, thousands of extras trucked out into the desert, and the studio nearly goes bankrupt trying to finish the movie.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
...just realized Orson Welles would have made a bang-on Baron Harkonnen :wth:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

BONGHITZ posted:

Oh man. I’m all for burning books now
That's Bradbury, not Heinlein.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
a proper Dune movie attempt needs to be insane enough that the producers try to commission an actual working stillsuit

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'll second recommending Wolfe. If you enjoy Herbert's world building style of giving you just enough info to get an idea in your head, but not spelling it out, that was what I grew to love when I read his Book of the New Sun tetralogy. The narrator just mentions stuff as if you know what he's talking about. It frustrated me at first because I was just a teen on my first read and used to being spoon fed descriptions in scifi/fantasy, but then it finally grew on me. I read those before I read Dune, so that was a big part in Dune grabbing me and never letting me go.

Same style of using corruptions/far-future evolutions of words we're familiar with, too. Like, I don't think Herbert ever gets into exactly what an ornithopter looks like, does he? But you can parse the first part meaning "bird" and clinging to the ancient (to them) word "helicopter", and form your own idea of an aircraft with flapping wings. I love that sort of linguistic play.

The minimal description is great but ornithopter was already a word:

https://books.google.com/ngrams/gra...thopter%3B%2Cc0

Dyna Soar posted:

if i were to recommend something, check out crash, high rise and concrete island from his mid-period. it's all bleak, twistedly funny satire of 70s england. then from his newer work i liked super-cannes and millennium people, but cocaine nights is good as well. those deal with more modern issues such as a jaded, disillusioned middle class and instead of some made-up future, shows our modern society as a dystopia.

he's my favourite writers, really.

the problem with dick (heh) is that he was truly insane, he had a massive substance abuse problem and since he was basically a pulp writer employed by magazines, he got paid by the word. he has a few themes (paranoia, drugs, the concept of reality) and he writes about those same themes over and over again. his best work is phenomenal, his worst is like bad p.k. dick fanfiction.
I like that about PKD, his bibliography is kinda one huge non-linear book. It's like reading a story that loops around and changes every time you read it.

Did you like Kingdom Come? I gave up on it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Stanislaw Lem wrote an essay about how Philip K. Dick was the only American author of science fiction. I remember he specifically praised how well his writing conveyed the schizophrenic experience of modern society.

Dick then became convinced Lem was a pseudonym used by a soviet committee that published books and interviews to somehow destabilize society and Dick personally.

Some people said that this made Lem sad and embarrassed.

PS: all of Lem's writing is gold

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Yandat posted:

You guys know that the movie is already in production, right.? And according to the director it might be 2 movies.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i thought it wasn’t greenlit yet because the new blade runner didnt make enough money

THS
Sep 15, 2017

which is a shame because blade runner and arrival were both insanely good

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i want to see another attempt but it has to be like an old-school epic. lavish sets and costuming, the entire thing filmed on 70mm film, entr'acte and minimum one intermission, thousands of extras trucked out into the desert, and the studio nearly goes bankrupt trying to finish the movie.

Directed by Cecil DeMille, with Orson Welles as the Baron and maybe Charlton Heston as Duke Leto.

Lynch's film already gave us some pretty old-school sets and matte paintings, though.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Yandat posted:

the new blade runner didnt make enough money
This makes me sad. Other than Fury Road, it is probably the only movie from the past decade that I am enthusiastic about watching multiple times.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sekenr posted:

You guys know that the movie is already in production, right.? And according to the director it might be 2 movies.

plenty of movies get to the point where people claim they're "in production" but the movie never really gets anywhere. i'll believe it when they've got parts cast and they're shooting film (well, digital... hell, you know what i mean)

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i just realized the guy in my avatar has the blue within blue eyes......... [sub]dune[/dune]

THS
Sep 15, 2017

in the lynch movie the mannerisms of petyr de vries are autistic

mentats are autistic

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Yandat posted:

i thought it wasn’t greenlit yet because the new blade runner didnt make enough money

This doesn't always mean anything for Hollywood movies. They cook the books all sorts of ways to keep from showing a profit the actors and crew would get a cut of.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Our condolences to anyone who's ever been killed by an ornithopter.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

IIRC everyone but the guild (who get bribed to keep the secret) believe that only the polar regions of the planet are even habitable. Like there's maybe a few hundred crazed outlaws eking out a living at the edges of civilization, not a global network of sietches, with the southern hemisphere reserved for keeping families safe.

Doesn't Gurney join the smugglers?

There were also references to things like the south polar region being absolutely off limits, if memory serves, largely due to being absurdly inhospitable. The Imperial stuff mostly existed on the north pole. That part was considered only marginally habitable; part of the reason was that sand worms couldn't get there due to the mountain sticking out. The further south you went the worse poo poo got. It wasn't just guild bribes, really; basically anybody not from the planet would look at literally everything but the north pole and go "how the gently caress could anybody live there?" I think passing beyond the equator and going further south was considered suicide.

The Fremen had been there since long before spice became important to the empire and just kind of got used to it. There were only a few million on the planet, total, but still...after all that time there they had that poo poo figured out.

a proper Dune movie attempt needs to be insane enough that the producers try to commission an actual working stillsuit

That and just accepting the fact that you'd have to make it like 18 hours long to do properly. There is a gently caress ton of plot in Dune and trying to condense it to 90 minutes or two hours is a fool's errand.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

if you split dune chronologically, i think a good break point would be after paul and jessica's flight from Kynes' lab and kynes murder, the next movie can pick up shortly before they run into Stilgar.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

for the audience, so they can sit in one place without breaks for the 100 hours it would take to adequately cover dune.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Denis better put this dude in the new movie

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
I can't beleive no one has suggested the most logical option, to make Dune into a big-budget miniseries. Maybe soneone can talk HBO into it when Game of Thrones is finally done

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Vlonald Prump posted:

I can't beleive no one has suggested the most logical option, to make Dune into a big-budget miniseries. Maybe soneone can talk HBO into it when Game of Thrones is finally done

Nah Westworld is their new tits and murder baby.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vlonald Prump posted:

I thought sci-fi channel already tried this.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Grognan posted:

I thought sci-fi channel already tried this.

"big budget" is the operative phrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm afraid of what HBO would do to Dune after how Game of Thrones went off the rails