Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Calculate is just focus but it only applies to one die, right? I could see her getting Calculate, then Focus as a second red action after boost or barrel roll. She's more of an "Android" than a regular Droid, so far as such a distinction can be made in Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

She should get 2 calculate methinks. No focus for SYNTHETICS.

Edit:
As I would consider 2 Calculate Tokens better than a single Focus, and I wouldn't mind the Vipers getting nudged slightly more into the "great" zone.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Need some advice, yo.

So I'm trying to start up an X-Wing league in my area, but I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around the specifics.

If I'm understanding correctly, the idea would be to have X number of people sign up before a cut-off date. After that cut-off date, there's a month or two 'season' where every person needs to officially play every other person, once or twice, depending on if I want single or double round-robin, and submit scores to me.

Anybody that wins gets a point, anybody that loses does not get a point. X-Wing doesn't have draws, but if it did, each player would get a half point. Games that aren't played, each player gets zero points.

At the end of the season, tally up the points, and either a) announce winners, or b) have a playoff bracket; 1st place plays 3rd place and 2nd place plays 4th place, then the winners of each of those series play each other, say these are all best two of three, and announce a winner.

Is it really that easy?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

TheCenturion posted:

That's just a matter of finding a friendly local gaming store and having them order you a tournament kit.

Didn't even think about that. I bet they'd kick in some extra stuff too, since they are a cool store, and also a major sponsor of the Con.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TheCenturion posted:

Need some advice, yo.

So I'm trying to start up an X-Wing league in my area, but I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around the specifics.

If I'm understanding correctly, the idea would be to have X number of people sign up before a cut-off date. After that cut-off date, there's a month or two 'season' where every person needs to officially play every other person, once or twice, depending on if I want single or double round-robin, and submit scores to me.

Anybody that wins gets a point, anybody that loses does not get a point. X-Wing doesn't have draws, but if it did, each player would get a half point. Games that aren't played, each player gets zero points.

At the end of the season, tally up the points, and either a) announce winners, or b) have a playoff bracket; 1st place plays 3rd place and 2nd place plays 4th place, then the winners of each of those series play each other, say these are all best two of three, and announce a winner.

Is it really that easy?

It can be, yes.

Covenant's Leagues aren't even that regulated nowadays. They used to care if you won or lost, but now you just get points for playing on league nights. The more you play, the more points you get. They have "achievements" to give you bonus points for doing certain things, like winning a game, winning with a certain ship, rolling 3+ blanks on a defense roll, etc.

It's much lower pressure than even your way of doing it, which is low pressure to begin with.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Here's a copy/paste of how my FLGS works their system:

quote:

Each player will be paired with two other players - these are your assigned matches for the month. For the other two games, you may play any other league player. You may play up to four league matches for the month, but only your first game against each opponent will count as a league match. You can play someone else as many times as you like, but any games beyond the first will be bonus matches. For bonus matches, feel free to use an objective or any other format.

Tiebreakers are settled in this order: head-to-head wins, strength of schedule, opponent strength of schedule, attendance points. An attendance point has no bearing on the standings, and you earn one for each league week that you either report a game or report attendance with no games played (all of this is on the match results form).

**Any games in addition to your four will count as a bonus game, and each bonus game gets you an entry in a prize raffle for the end of the month. A bonus game may be against players who still need a free choice game, or between two players who have finished their league matches.**

Match scoring is as follows:

Win a league match: 3 points
Lose a league match: 1 point

Tiebreakers: Head-to-head, SoS, opponent SoS.

Prizes: Prizes will be done in a draft format. Each player will submit a ranking of the prizes, and will be awarded their highest choice based on what is available, starting with first place. We will continue through the standings from top to bottom until all prizes are distributed. Players will then be able to pick up prizes at any time.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The main problem leagues generally have is getting people to play their matches. A lot of people will sign up but not so many will actually finish all the games, particularly if they lose the first few.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

After years of leagues the only tip I have are

Don't assign matchups, just let people play. The worst thing is to make time to go to FLGS after work and have a no show.

Only run a month. People will lose interest over two months

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

alg posted:

After years of leagues the only tip I have are

Don't assign matchups, just let people play. The worst thing is to make time to go to FLGS after work and have a no show.

Only run a month. People will lose interest over two months

The problem is, we're a rural sort of area, with a hard-core group of maybe eight people who play, but we're all fairly dispersed and have wildly divergent schedules. We run three or four 'tournaments' a year, but otherwise, it's just pickup games whenever two people happen to be able to make their schedules match.

So I'm figuring, three month league, double round robin, meaning everybody needs to get together with everybody else and play two games, sometime in that three months. We're looking at arranging a slightly more organized group with a monthly timeslot at a local gaming store or something, but I'm not sure how that will pan out.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I think I may look into trading my Empire ships away for Rebel/Scum ships I don't have. I rarely play them, and now is the perfect time since all the upgrade cards will be useless.

Edit:

Facebook posted:

and I will do two 100pts list and that will be it. it does feel like a ploy to gain more money. gw does the same thing repeatedly

:allears: Please, tell us more of the evils of GW and how it's even remotely similar to this.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 3, 2018

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

hoiyes posted:

The upside of this is that there'll be spare damage decks going around for even the poorest players who want to get in on 2.0.

Yeah this is very interesting. Is it true that, to our best current knowledge, the only thing a 1.0 player NEEDS from the 2.0 Core is the Damage Deck? And I could therefore avoid a 2.0 Core if I got one elsewhere?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hey ConfusedUs, the OP still says:

"Force-Sensitive pilots have Force Charges which can be spent for powerful effects. Some pilots, like Luke, can natively regenerate these points, but not all. "

I think it's been determined every FS pilot gets a point back at the end of the round?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SuperKlaus posted:

Yeah this is very interesting. Is it true that, to our best current knowledge, the only thing a 1.0 player NEEDS from the 2.0 Core is the Damage Deck? And I could therefore avoid a 2.0 Core if I got one elsewhere?

No, you definitely need the new pilot cards and tokens and dials

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

No, you definitely need the new pilot cards and tokens and dials

A 1.0 player could, in theory, get away with:
1) a new damage deck
2) their 1.0 plastic ships
3) a conversion kit for said ships
4) feeling sad and envious when the other players whip out their sweet new maneuver templates with racing strips down the middle

The old templates might be considered 'not technically tournament legal,' though, the same way that you can, per the rules, raise a stink nowadays if somebody shows up with aftermarket acrylic templates/tokens/etc.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think he means if he buys the conversion kits, can he get away with skipping the coreset if he gets the new damage deck elsewhere.

The guides changed graphically, and the centerline is relevant for stuff, but I don't think their shapes changed at all.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I preordered a Core Set and two conversion kits, but I'm not replacing my acrylic templates with cardboard ones and I'm not buying a new set of templates. The ones I have now will work fine, and if I need a center line on the 1 straight for barrel roll stuff I'll draw it on with a sharpie.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

There’s new tokens too, and target locks work differently. I don’t know if any of that would matter though, aside from tournament play.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah what Huxley said. I'm Ebenezer Scrooge thinking here, Monty Burns finger-tapping, thinking that I could buy two Conversion Kits, sell the half of them that I don't need, avoid a Core and then scoop a damage deck somewhere, and thereby convert the game as I play it to 2.0 for about $50 total.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Everything at my FLGS is 20% off if you preorder, so the core is $31. I'll take a moving foil X-Wing and the rest of the stuff for that price.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Any info on which ships are getting the medium base treatment?

So far it's the Reaper, U-Wing, Punisher that have been officially mentioned right?

What are the chances the K-Wing goes medium?

TIE Silencer maybe? Scurrg? IG-88s?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

Everything at my FLGS is 20% off if you preorder, so the core is $31. I'll take a moving foil X-Wing and the rest of the stuff for that price.

My FLGS is 20% off everything they're allowed to every day. I love them so much, forever and ever.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I heard the Silencer is outright being resized.

Maybe the Kimoglia?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:allears: Please, tell us more of the evils of GW and how it's even remotely similar to this.

It's literally a GW edition change. You need a new core rulebook (starter/dmg cards) and faction book (upgrade packs). Some ships will be buffed, some will suck. How is it any different? :psyduck:

I get wanting to say "it could've been worse" but let's not defend entities run by private equity firms here.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AndyElusive posted:

Any info on which ships are getting the medium base treatment?

From streams and assorted releases we know

Scum: Mist Hunter, Kimogila, Firespray
Rebel: U-Wing, K-Wing
Imperial: Punisher, Reaper

There are others that could potentially get that treatment, especially in scum. IG-88s and Skurrgs come to mind. But no official word yet.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Hey ConfusedUs, the OP still says:

"Force-Sensitive pilots have Force Charges which can be spent for powerful effects. Some pilots, like Luke, can natively regenerate these points, but not all. "

I think it's been determined every FS pilot gets a point back at the end of the round?

Fixed!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

It's literally a GW edition change. You need a new core rulebook (starter/dmg cards) and faction book (upgrade packs). Some ships will be buffed, some will suck. How is it any different? :psyduck:

I get wanting to say "it could've been worse" but let's not defend entities run by private equity firms here.

GW would outright get rid of existing models, change boxes to be more expensive while containing less product as they increased the amount you needed for a unit, and they sure as hell didn't offer a $50 kit that brings the majority of a faction up to speed. At least two Fantasy armies were never updated to 8th edition, and several others had to wait years before their update. Then of course they threw the whole thing out entirely.

Sure, if you want to reduce everything to (core book) and (faction book) updates, then yes they're exactly the same.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Admiral Joeslop posted:

GW would outright get rid of existing models, change boxes to be more expensive while containing less product as they increased the amount you needed for a unit, and they sure as hell didn't offer a $50 kit that brings the majority of a faction up to speed. At least two Fantasy armies were never updated to 8th edition, and several others had to wait years before their update. Then of course they threw the whole thing out entirely.

Sure, if you want to reduce everything to (core book) and (faction book) updates, then yes they're exactly the same.

Did you miss the part where small ships are now $20? It's the same stealth cost increase GW does

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Like holy poo poo people here are now openly sucking FFG's teat when they used to be good at laughing and hating bad things the company does, just like the MTG thread. If it turns into the GW thread, maybe we can have an FFG death thread :getin:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
You seem upset.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Did you miss the part where small ships are now $20? It's the same stealth cost increase GW does

Don't the expacks contain considerably more content to reflect that?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
don't worry, your poe pillow is still 2.0 compliant.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ClC you used to be a cool poster, don't be like this. Yes, expansions went up. You don't need to buy two expansions to fill the same amount of points as the previous edition.

If you don't like it that's fine, don't go accusing posters of sucking the FFG dick like GW whales did.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

AndyElusive posted:

Don't the expacks contain considerably more content to reflect that?

If you consider having regular sized upgrade cards instead of mini sized upgrade cards considerably more content then yeah, sure. Considerably more packaging material too, maybe.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Strobe posted:

I heard the Silencer is outright being resized.

Maybe the Kimoglia?

Yeah, the Silencer is getting a brand new physical model, which will be more inline with the size of an Interceptor. They got bad measurements when they were doing the original sculpt, so it's just wildly oversized.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TheCenturion posted:

Yeah, the Silencer is getting a brand new physical model, which will be more inline with the size of an Interceptor. They got bad measurements when they were doing the original sculpt, so it's just wildly oversized.

Here's me looking at my Kimogilia and Silencer sealed in their boxes and sighing. Still super happy about 2E.

It's pretty nice too that with the extra damage deck from preordering, I essentially have a second tournament kit ready to go.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

bunnyofdoom posted:

don't worry, your poe pillow is still 2.0 compliant.

Demonstrably false

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

I wish I could just reset my collection or at least get rid of my scum ships but idk. Hopefully this doesn't kill the clscene around here because O have drat near every ship in the game now.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

If you consider having regular sized upgrade cards instead of mini sized upgrade cards considerably more content then yeah, sure. Considerably more packaging material too, maybe.

I thought there was more then just bigger sized cards and punch cards. Such as more pilots, upgrades etc.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Wapole Languray posted:

I wish I could just reset my collection or at least get rid of my scum ships but idk. Hopefully this doesn't kill the clscene around here because O have drat near every ship in the game now.

I bet you could sell those scum ships. Especially if you get the preorder to get the extra damage deck, it's essentially a 90% starter set for someone with the conversion kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

AndyElusive posted:

I thought there was more then just bigger sized cards and punch cards. Such as more pilots, upgrades etc.

https://m.imgur.com/a/Wv7l7PL