Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Lord Frisk posted:

Pretty cool how we need a system released in 2014 to emulate a system released in 1991.

Is this an ironic post, or was I the only person playing ZSNES in the late 90s?

There's a massive gulf between emulation and accurate emulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Thanks for the snes9x recommendation.

As someone new to this, is there a recommended list of emulators somewhere?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nintendo homebrew thread: Don't ruin my Splatoon

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
The USB drive I was using for CleanRip is giving the write error now, is it a bad idea to keep using it for Nintendont or should it still be fine for that purpose?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Chemical Bastard posted:

The USB drive I was using for CleanRip is giving the write error now, is it a bad idea to keep using it for Nintendont or should it still be fine for that purpose?

If you can save to SD while running games from USB then I guess feel free to keep using the thing until it explodes

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SeANMcBAY posted:

As long as they don’t ruin my Splatoon

How can you ruin something that already sucks? :smug:

I hope console bans are a thing for online cheating, I'd hate for them to be handed out if Nintendo has a way to detect that you're running homebrew or just have a modded console.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I can’t wait to blow the inch thick layer of dust off my switch and play games on it again

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

I hope console bans are a thing for online cheating, I'd hate for them to be handed out if Nintendo has a way to detect that you're running homebrew or just have a modded console.
It's probably easier for them to determine that you have a modded console than it is trying to figure out whether your actions in Splatoon are plausible.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They should ban your account if Splatoon is detected.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's probably easier for them to determine that you have a modded console than it is trying to figure out whether your actions in Splatoon are plausible.

This is actually what they did on the Wii U, and it made everyone try to be as subtle about using instant teleportation as possible.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yay, I finally got a headline change after 12 years.:toot:

I recently got one of those R4i Gold 3DS Plus cards. I can use them to install CFW on any 3DS? Does it matter what firmware update they’re on?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I recently got one of those R4i Gold 3DS Plus cards. I can use them to install CFW on any 3DS? Does it matter what firmware update they’re on?

https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot I think

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Firmware doesn't matter for the flashcart+magnet method, it's a bootrom exploit similar to the Switch one. The system is owned before the firmware even runs.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I recently used the flashcart method for the most recent update and it worked well.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Infinitum posted:

They should ban your account if Splatoon is detected.

Mods?!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh wait!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Splattoon sucks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It actually owns and is the only good muti shooter.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Videogames doin' the lord's work and keeping this thread sane from people who shouldn't be saying things that they can't take back.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Splatoon... good?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SeANMcBAY posted:

If that's the red card, all you have to do it crack open the case, hit the switch to NTRboot, plug it into a 3DS, use a magnet to keep it in sleep mode, and then use the button combo.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I always pictured Splatoon as the multiplayer online shooter for people who only ever buy Nintendo and don't have a new multiplayer online shooter released every week. Like Splatoon 3 will come out with 100 squids dropping out of a plane and minds will be blown.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Splatoon would make a lovely battle royale because all you'd have to do is follow the trail of ink for the most part.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Bum the Sad posted:

Splatoon... good?

Splatoon good.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Reported for being a butt!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mailer posted:

I always pictured Splatoon as the multiplayer online shooter for people who only ever buy Nintendo and don't have a new multiplayer online shooter released every week. Like Splatoon 3 will come out with 100 squids dropping out of a plane and minds will be blown.

Fwiw with the exception of the last 2 call of duty games (because they looked like poo poo) I've given a fair shot to every major online shooter that's come out in the last decade or so and Splatoon 2 is the first one I would call Truly Good since Titanfall 2. The whole territory control aspect with the ink adds a really loving interesting layer to it that no other game out there replicates

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
the gyro controls are pretty good for a console shooter.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

MohShuvuu posted:

Yeah, I'm amazed other consoles haven't copied it yet. I mean the PS4 controller already has gyro support that it hardly ever uses. Are they just afraid to alienate their existing playerbase that's used to regular controls and would get their asses kicked by gyro users?

(I'm probably biased cause I never bothered to learn normal console shooter controls. I mean, why would you?).

Elman fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 4, 2018

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Reported for being a butt!

I was actually a little disappointed not to see one.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

goferchan posted:

Splatoon 2 is the first one I would call Truly Good since Titanfall 2

Having Titanfall 2 die three weeks after release over here seriously hurt me. I'm not saying Splatoon is a bad game or anything - I honestly don't know - just that it seemed a bit like Smash where there was a scene for it but that scene was entirely contained with no crossover because Nintendo.

Elman posted:

Yeah, I'm amazed other consoles haven't copied it yet

Outside of Nintendo, and VR, everyone has pretty much given up on motion controls. This is primarily due to being referenced primarily with the term "those loving motion controls".

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Spent my work afternoon making a paperclip jig

https://gbatemp.net/threads/paperclip-rcm-jig.502087/

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So i have a switch that's apparently on 3.0. What can i do with that and where do i start?

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
play a couple of emulators, not much else yet

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I was actually a little disappointed not to see one.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Well hello new avatar! Time to take that baby to photoshop!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

MohShuvuu posted:

I’ve never played Splatoon despite having a Wii U and a Switch but man I really like gyro aiming after using it in the new Zelda with the bow. It’s super intuitive to make those broad motions with the stick then fine tune with some wrist wiggle. I went to play the new Monster Hunter on my Xbone as a bowgun guy and kept getting irritated gyro aiming wasn’t working.

So if Zelda is ripping off the Splatoon controls then yeah, they good.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The gyro controls are horrific and Splatoon would be a better game if they never existed.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Empress Brosephine posted:

The gyro controls are horrific and Splatoon would be a better game if they never existed.

This is insanely wrong lmao. You can disable them but if you do it you're at a huge disadvantage, the gyro provides for more much faster and accurate aiming than you can ever get off of sticks. Console shooters with auto aim suck rear end in comparison

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

goferchan posted:

This is insanely wrong lmao. You can disable them but if you do it you're at a huge disadvantage, the gyro provides for more much faster and accurate aiming than you can ever get off of sticks. Console shooters with auto aim suck rear end in comparison

I have to reiterate my love for gyro aiming, which I got from playing RE4 on Steam with my Steam controller. I can't go back, it's just way too good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gimbal lock posted:

Splatoon would make a lovely battle royale because all you'd have to do is follow the trail of ink for the most part.

That would actually change the Battle Royale mechanics significantly, since camping/hiding would no longer be viable strats. They could also change it so that you have to certain amount of territory inked to stay alive, or maybe once it gets down to ten players the player with the most inked territory wins.

Basically I think Splatoon's unique gameplay elements could be a great way to change the Battle Royale model for the better, or at the very least make it more engaging.

That said multiplayer backend is crap and I don't see a game with twenty concurrent players, let alone fifty or a hundred working without something catching or fire or players being dropped.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 4, 2018