Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
So what's cool that people are looking forward to at Reitaisai? Also does anyone know if there's been any word on the other Reitaisai they've been doing in Taipei for the past couple years? A non touhou fan friend of mine is there teaching English right now and last year the convention center was right on the train line he takes every day and I'd like to antagonize him for a second year in a row.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
The usual batch of music releases from Sound Holic, A-One, DDBY, Hatsunetsu Mikos, Taito, and so much more.

As for the Taipei event, their Reitaisais are actually once every two years, but there's going to be a Touhou section at the next Sunshine Creation down there at the end of the month.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I didn't know you made a card game, Clarste. Tell me more.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FractalSandwich posted:

I didn't know you made a card game, Clarste. Tell me more.

Does it have mima?

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

el dorito posted:

Does it have mima?

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

It's this http://danmaku.mysteryparfait.com/ but we added every character and houseruled the hell out of it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
A fangame of a fangame. That's a powerful move.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

We made one character because I was mad I couldn't play Yuyuko and then we made 164 more.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
How did you find enough people to play it? I'm not convinced that there are four Touhou fans in the entire world.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

FractalSandwich posted:

How did you find enough people to play it? I'm not convinced that there are four Touhou fans in the entire world.

Oh ye of little faith.

BTW I have a 100% win rate in that game.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I've consistently had trouble organising playtests for even 2-player games, Touhou or otherwise. They've all started as solo projects, though, so I guess it's a lot easier with a group project, especially if you're expanding on a game you already play together.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

FractalSandwich posted:

I miss the bangin' Touhou LP threads man. There were probably at least ten people posting in those

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'll finish my MegaMari LP one of these days weeks months years.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I started playing TPDP and as a competitive Pokemon nerd trying to learn everything about TPDP has consumed my life.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i might do an lp of labyrinth of touhou 2 if no one else has yet

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Is that game good I was looking at it the other day

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

i might do an lp of labyrinth of touhou 2 if no one else has yet

i think both labyrinth games had LPs started and then abandoned. Labyrinth 1 I think got really far in too, it was a shame.

the sequel started alongside a bunch of other touhou lps that, ah, were also all abandoned?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

i made a big post about it in the rpg thread:

Endorph posted:

also labyrinth of touhou 2 is pretty fun. it's an eo clone only instead of wandering the dungeon in a first person mode it's an overhead view of your main character and a bunch of little nodes for steps in the dungeon, kind of like a board game. it's the same basic gameplay loop as eo, but a little less 'high investment' since you don't have to draw maps and you can see the shape of the dungeon taking shape so you won't be constantly bumping into walls. and you can see boss fight and event icons even before you get close to them.

combat's pretty fun too, it's a 12 person party with 4 people active at any one time, and the idea is to focus a ton on switching characters in and out because enemies hit like brickhouses and all your heavy damage dealers are unlikely to survive sustained combat. atb too, with different actions setting you at different points on the bar, and some characters can manipulate party member's atb bars, and you can actually see the enemy's atb bars. fun stuff.

characters are pretty unique too, unlike eo's class-building system you get a ton of characters who all have unique skills and then 'subclasses' with generic skills that everyone can access, which allows for some fun customization. you can build the main character, reimu, as a hybrid attacker whose spells are based off an average of the enemy's defense and magic defense, so she never really gets owned by bosses with a high stat one way or the other, or you can just build her as a full-party healer/defense buffer, depending on skill investment. or rumia's got great, cheap spells but crappy stats, so you can focus on giving her a subclass that lets her spam her spells on generic enemies or you can try and boost her magic to the point where her spells are as good as they should be. its all good stuff.

only real thing id mention is that character building can be a little overwhelming at first since not only can you pick a stat for a character to increase on level up but you can also spend money to increase character's stats and even elemental resistances directly, and every character has like 20 things to consider what to level first, between their 2-6 spells and a bunch of passives. also some of the recruits are pretty easy to miss. fortunately the touhou wiki has a pretty comprehensive guide to the whole thing, and you can reset the at level stats and skills at anytime, the only thing you can't reset freely are the stats you put money into, and since that just burns money you can just burn some more if you're unhappy with how a character turned out. stats go up in cost as you increase them, but only that stat, so if you're like 'oh poo poo i should have raised minoriko's speed not her magic' you can just start pumping her speed on the cheap even if you're already invested a decent bit into her magic. it's also got a complete english patch, some text wrapping issues but its very playable.

its cool how there's some actual experimentation in the touhou fangame space, it'd be easy to just crank out 'literally etrian odyssey but with touhou' but ive never really seen a combat system focused on the things labyrinth of touhou 2's is. it feels like a really natural evolution of ffx but obviously the ff series didnt go in that direction, and ffx's only real successor, trails of cold steel, didnt really place much emphasis on character swapping anyway, it was more something you had to work yourself to make use of.

just make sure to grab the plus disk too, it adds like 6-7 more party members, about as many floors, and a few new skills for everybody. also kogasa becomes much better and why wouldn't you want kogasa to be better

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
My problem with LoT2 is that it can only run in windowed at 640x480 and if anyone has any solutions to that I'd like them. I don't usually play long-session games at my desk if I can help it and I'd rather not run through the hassle of bringing my entire resolution down every time I want to play it. I don't mind it looking too ugly or blurry blown up, as long as I can play it on a couch

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
IIRC I lost a txt for 18F for LoT1 and was too lazy to redo for that LP, and I dunno what happened with Inadequately's LP of LoT2, though I know he got pretty far.

As an aside, the Plus Disk for 2 is technically unfinished and will probably remain that way indefinitely, though it's still got plenty of content.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anything that makes kogasa better is complete, in a spiritual sense

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Apparently he beat the main game but stopped before touching any post-game or Plus Disk stuff. Also god drat that is a long Page 5.

Endorph posted:

anything that makes kogasa better is complete, in a spiritual sense

Can't argue with that.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

It's not good, but it's good enough. It took me about 50 hours to realise I didn't like it.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
YMMV, it's one of my favorite games of all time, doujin or otherwise.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
LoT2 is great except for the ridiculous level curve near the endgame.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The fan translation calls Eiki by the wrong name. Game ruined.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Found a way to finagle what I want out of LoT2 and am having fun with it so far. feeling nostalgic for LoT1's awful ugly default portraits

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Cool. I genuinely hope you like it. I'm not trying to be a Negative Nancy or nothin'.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

The fan translation calls Eiki by the wrong name. Game ruined.

to be fair it felt like even jp fandom had no idea what to call her for like a good decade there

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
ZUN announced tonight he won't have a new release for Reitaisai but he will be selling old stuff as well as holding the first-ever signing session in Japan.

He also spoke for a bit at the JAGMO (Japan Game Music Orchestra) performance of Touhou pieces along with one of the group's organizers, Yuzo Koshiro. Seems ZUN was inspired by Actraiser's soundtrack to become a game musician, both because of its quality and the fact it was the first game he played that had the composer's real name listed in the credits. Yuzo also knew of Touhou when a friend told him about it back when it was still on the PC-98, and seems to like Night of Nights. His daughter is also a big fan and wanted to play U.N. Owen for a piano recital, but it proved to be too hard so she settled for Splatoon.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

FractalSandwich posted:

I played it irl

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I own a copy of it, it's fun

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

is it out on Steam? I’d get it if it was.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I own a copy of it, it's fun
Have you had any luck teaching it to people who aren't Touhou tragics like us? It sounds like it should be pretty accessible, as long as they're not allergic to anime.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Yes, actually, but I also have friends who just like playing board and card games in general.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That makes sense. It does seem like they favoured making their terminology Touhou-flavoured over generically clear, so if you're not a Touhou enthusiast or a board game enthusiast, it might make things harder than they need to be. At this point, I guess the people I play board games with most often are my parents, actually, and they're pretty casual about it.

Chalk another one up on the list of "board games I'd like to try but seem like slightly too much of a pain to bother getting going", I guess.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSGp1USZquA

:piaa:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

That's pretty cool.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

ZUN made some fortunes!

https://imgur.com/a/IRZ3Xc9

Someone else colored and translated them!

You can try your luck too!

https://cdn.opensrc.club/omikuji.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Disappointed that Marisa's fortune didn't involve me dying somehow.