Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

For some years I lived somewhere that didn't have a water toilet or bathroom - or potable water. Looking back it was pretty weird. At least there was an ample supply of firewood so you could bathe in sauna every day if you wanted, and the outroom was well designed and built so most of the smell was blown out by the constant sea breeze.

I wouldn't do it again though. Morning ablutions requiring you to heat up a big kettle of water on the stove? Filling jugs at a public well every week? A bit too 1818 for me. Not that I actually know where I'd find a public well nowadays.

Was that in a Western country and within the last 15-20 years? If so, was it somewhere crazy remote and far from anything?

I mean even in cities showers were not standard in much of Western Europe until the 60s (before that it was buckets), and i have a couple times come across ancient rear end never renovated apartments that still have their shower in the kitchen (Switzerland). But anyone living like that is either a student because it’s cheap or because they’re old and have done it like that their whole life and don’t care enough to change it to something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Map of states where a majority of cocaine-related deaths also involved synthetic opioids in 2016:

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Toilets are actually pretty serious business in India. Lots of differntent levels of government are pushing for them not just for hygiene reasons, but as a women’s rights issue. Previously, poor Indians used fields for their needs, but this meant that women were effectively barred from answering the call of nature during the day for modesty reasons. This meant that women would rush out as a group in the early morning and late in the evening to do their business under the cover of darkness. Unfortunately, because this was a known thing by everyone in the villages meant that incidents of sexual assault and harassment were sky high. Further, this had a very strong effect on girls education. Without access to a toilet, once they hit puberty, girls were effectively barred from classrooms during their period.

So the Indian government has been pushing very hard for access to toilets of any type for their citizens, whether it’s a communal toilet, toilets in schools or in the home. Here are a couple articles from the New York Times on the issue.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/03/world/asia/india-toilet-movie.html
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/06/15/world/asia/in-mumbai-a-campaign-against-restroom-injustice.html

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Saladman posted:

Was that in a Western country and within the last 15-20 years? If so, was it somewhere crazy remote and far from anything?

I mean even in cities showers were not standard in much of Western Europe until the 60s (before that it was buckets), and i have a couple times come across ancient rear end never renovated apartments that still have their shower in the kitchen (Switzerland). But anyone living like that is either a student because it’s cheap or because they’re old and have done it like that their whole life and don’t care enough to change it to something different.

I grew up without a flush toilet in the late 80s-early 90s. We used an outhouse. We had flush toilets at the school though, that was pretty great.

We were poor and lived in rural Alaska, USA.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Saladman posted:

Jerry Cotton is from Finland, I believe. Rural Scandinavia is full of houses like that, but examples as primitive as that one are rather uncommon, at least for permanent habitation. Summer houses without a water toilet are not uncommon, especially if they’re old buildings or remote (like out on islands in the archipelagoes). Most have electricity, some form of broadband and running water from their own well though.

I personally know people who own a house like the one Jerry describes, and I’ve stayed there. It’s a summer house though, so you stay there for a week and then you take the boat to the mainland to stock up on groceries and have a real shower before going back out again. Going on the outhouse at night in winter is an experience the first time but gets old really fast.

When my mom was a student in the 1960’s though she was together with a guy who rented a room in Stockholm’s old town, with no running water and outhouses in the back yard of the apartment building. That area has been turbo-gentrified of course and all the 17th and 18th century buildings are completely modernized indoors today.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 2, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saladman posted:

Was that in a Western country

Depends on who you ask.

Saladman posted:

and within the last 15-20 years?

Yes.

Saladman posted:

If so, was it somewhere crazy remote and far from anything?

Not really. 4½ km to the nearest bus stop, 11 km to the church, ~40 km to the city with the nearest town about half-way there I think.

Saladman posted:

Well I was a minor so I didn't really have a say in the matter. As soon as I turned 18 and got accepted into University I moved back to the city. It was slightly less horrible than it sounds due to the fact that everyone either worked or went to school in the city and therefore had access to both hot showers and water closets. Did put me off saunaing just for fun and relaxation for life though.

e: The indoor water closet and bathroom were built some time before I moved out though.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 2, 2018

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

More like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDDUY91jrx4

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Jacinda Ardern asks why New Zealand is left off world maps in new tourism campaign

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I apologize in advance if this is a repost, but it's pretty awesome.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Why is Puntland always missing? It’s also never separated on maps even where Somaliland gets its own borders. They need to get better PR.

E: never mind apparently they declared themselves an autonomous stare, but within Somalia, so I guess equivalent to Rojava.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Saladman posted:

Why is Puntland always missing? It’s also never separated on maps even where Somaliland gets its own borders. They need to get better PR.

E: never mind apparently they declared themselves an autonomous stare, but within Somalia, so I guess equivalent to Rojava.

Rojava is not really the best comparison. What they want is more on the order of the level of local control that the largest native american nations in the US have, or like the constituent "countries" of the UK that aren't England and have local parliaments and a reasonable degree of authority.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

CONFIRMED: MBS of Saudi Arabia is an rear end man

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
How do they have statistics for North Korea, I thought they only had a national internet?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Kamrat posted:

How do they have statistics for North Korea, I thought they only had a national internet?

Simple. KJU is also an rear end man.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
How, how, how does one pronounce "Cyrenaica"? It's been bugging me for years.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Tree Bucket posted:

How, how, how does one pronounce "Cyrenaica"? It's been bugging me for years.

Cyrenaica (/saɪrəˈneɪ.ɪkə/ SY-rə-NAY-ik-ə; Latin: Cyrenaica (Provincia), Ancient Greek: Κυρηναία (ἐπαρχία) Kyrēnaíā (eparkhíā), after the city of Cyrene; Arabic: برقة‎ Barqah)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gen. Ripper posted:

I'm western sahara

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gen. Ripper posted:

Argentina disappoints as always

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Weird, I can't find the corresponding Dick Vs. Balls map.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
this is the true border between the global north and global south

fake edit

Bates posted:

Weird, I can't find the corresponding Dick Vs. Balls map.

that's because nobody likes balls

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

What game is this?

(Dark Zone representing)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ah yes, America's three most infamous cities, Chicago, Detroit, and Yonkers.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

how is maine a tutorial zone

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Plutonis posted:

Argentina is 100% Italians and Germans.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Pakled posted:

Hey, DMX is from Yonkers.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Plutonis posted:

Egypt is a brutal combo-breaker.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Pakled posted:

Yonkers nothing, that's north of Westchester on the map.

Rather it's the fearsome grit and urban hell known by the intimidating name of "Poughkeepsie".

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Gen. Ripper posted:

Big ups to Myanmar for keeping the light of rear end alive in Southeast Asia

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dreddout posted:

Big ups to Myanmar for keeping the light of rear end alive in Southeast Asia

Don't forget about Bhutan proudly being Buttan not far from there.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Argentina is 100% Italians and Germans.

With 95% of those having at least 50% Amerindian ancestry but sure.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Negrostrike posted:

Uhhh... Argentines are whiter than the average US American unless you go to somewhere like Jujuy. They are absolutely not a country of mestizos like Mexico. Not even remotely. Argentina is literally whiter than the United States. Probably whiter than Canada.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I understand this is what most Argentines (and possibly you) want to believe. Just like Brazilians, which is even worse. But hey, whatever floats your goat. :shrug:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Negrostrike posted:

I can't find anything that backs this up.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Argentina is white flamewar :henget:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Negrostrike posted:

I understand this is what most Argentines (and possibly you) want to believe. Just like Brazilians, which is even worse. But hey, whatever floats your goat. :shrug:

Argentina heavily sought European immigrants for decades on end, including specifically to help genocide and "reclaim" vast amounts of the country for European-descent farming. IIRC the Argentinians went so serious on that that there's several native groups that used to mostly live in Argentinian land, but nowadays you find the vast majority of them in Chile. They also brought in tons of people on emigrant ships that had been refused entry to the US for various reasons, which added even more on top of the people who wanted to just go straight to Argentina.

Hell, none of my ancestors were in the Americas at all until the 1880s, and a significant chunk of those on my mother's side had siblings rejected at the Eastern immigration ports of the US and sent onwards to Argentina. That whole chunk of the family has kept in contact with their American cousins over the years and so we regularly get to meet them when they come up for family events. And when my sister was down in Argentina for a university summer exchange program, she didn't need to pay for housing because some of our cousins lived in a place convenient to the campus and government offices for the program. So she was able to just use their spare room.

Anyway, it's not like there isn't a bunch of native or other minority ancestry floating around in a lot of white US people's family trees, especially if they had family from before the major immigration waves.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
“The US is pretty white”

“Heheh, you wish, you racist darkie”

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

“The US is pretty white”

“Heheh, you wish, you racist darkie”

This sounds like an interesting argument, what thread did you see it in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Saladman posted:

Uhhh... Argentines are whiter than the average US American unless you go to somewhere like Jujuy. They are absolutely not a country of mestizos like Mexico. Not even remotely. Argentina is literally whiter than the United States. Probably whiter than Canada.

LOL if you think Germans and Italians are white. They are among the swarthy, southern races