Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

I have no idea how they get away with loving around on the big boy streets. Touring Akihabara I could understand, but we spotted them in Ginza too. You could say they stuck out a little between the fancy rear end stores and high end cars.

They go all around inside the city. I’ve also spotted tour groups in Roppongi and Shibuya. In theory it’s controlled if you follow the leader properly but, yeah, especially for tourists without any experience driving in Japan/Tokyo, it could go sideways at some point.

Even if it’s becoming a bit of a tourist stereotype, may as well try to enjoy it while we still can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Booked my trip to Japan for June 28th through July 14th, starting in Fukuoka and ending in Tokyo.

Someone please reassure me it isn't going to be constantly raining because these tourist blogs got me down.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Well you'll be right in the middle of the summer. In some ways the rain would be the least of your worries unless you don't mind the heat and the humidity.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Otoh sumo and baseball!!!!

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I don't mind heat and humidity because I lived in a beach town for ten years.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yawgmoft posted:

I don't mind heat and humidity because I lived in a beach town for ten years.

ahahahahahaha

it'll be 84 degrees and 102% humidity. How is it more than 100% humidity? I'm not sure either, Japan is a place of wonder and miracles and awful humidity in June and July.

bring face towels and fear not the sweating. because you will sweat.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Again, nothing I'm not familiar with. I just don't want it to be raining 4+ hours a day.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

By beach town do you mean Biloxi, Louisiana?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
How bad is the humidity in September? I'll be there for two weeks starting in the beginning of September.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If tourists want to drive maricar they first have to pass a bike test and cycle around Tokyo. If they haven’t died or gotten lost then they might be able to do it

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

caberham posted:

If tourists want to drive maricar they first have to pass a bike test and cycle around Tokyo. If they haven’t died or gotten lost then they might be able to do it

They already do it everyday, easily.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

keevo posted:

How bad is the humidity in September? I'll be there for two weeks starting in the beginning of September.

It’s usually getting fine by that point, but prepare for a bad day or two at the beginning just in case. I’m hoping it gets cool early in September too, family visiting.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

The issue isn't the ability of the drivers, it's driving a loving go-kart in the middle of Tokyo.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I loving love the Japanese summer. Coming from the frigid north it's loving paradise to me (I know I'm weird)

I'm flying out on Monday for two and half weeks in Tokyo and the fact that it will only be moderately hot is the only thing that's got me down :v:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

The issue isn't the ability of the drivers, it's driving a loving go-kart in the middle of Tokyo.

lol

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
As the old saying goes: It’s not so much the heat, it’s the swamp rear end.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Designated Mario Cart tracks above Shibuya

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

peanut posted:

Designated Mario Cart tracks above Shibuya

Rainbow Road

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Considering May was almost too hot for me I'm not sure I could take it during the summer months when the humidity is through the roof also

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I really want to go back this summer, but doing more bike touring in the summer months doesn't seem like it would be enjoyable unless I'm going north through Tohoku to Hokkaido. I might have asked this already, but how are the mountain regions during the summer months? Whenever I go back I'd like to do my originally planned route from Kyoto to Nikko and back down to Tokyo.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
The heat/humidity isn't as bad if you're dressed appropriately for it.

But mountain regions can be weird. For example, Kyoto is absolutely AWFUL because it's completely surrounded by mountains. So depending on what mountains and what particular part of the mountain you're on, you could get a nice breeze or be stifled to the point of asphyxiation.

Just go on some summer hikes and figure out your best ways to keep cool.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
We will be staying in Okinawa for a week and then head out to the mainland in japan and make our way back to tokyo (slowly)
What are the things we should absolutely do in Okinawa?
Points of interest we mapped out;
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.1942905,127.7006461,10.25z/data=!4m2!11m1!2s128_zm4dfmJcVpJnjo-gIwMDbe4U
Kuroshio sea is an absolute must.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Okinawa is pretty small. The best things are the aquarium, the castle/palace, chilling on the smaller islands and getting drunk af with locals (and/or other tourists).

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Zamami is also a really easy daytrip from Naha. Still the best snorkeling of my life. But yes getting drunk is mandatory

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

My APA hotel room was good value (£51 in Osaka) but also came with weird nationalist propaganda

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

oh yeah the apa guy is a right-wing revisionist nutjob and you should boycot his hotels whenever you can

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Counterpoint: a good value hotel with no Chinese guests is worth putting up with a little nationalism.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

no Chinese guests

this ftw

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
If anyone saw a whitey who was drunk rear end _fuck_ in Ikebukuro tonight I'll apologise, that was my buddy :guinness:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

QuasiQuack posted:

If anyone saw a whitey who was drunk rear end _fuck_ in Ikebukuro tonight I'll apologise, that was my buddy :guinness:

csb

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

...inconceivable!!!!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

QuasiQuack posted:

Yeah because a drunk white person in central Tokyo is really noteworthy.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm a Chinese tourist

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yeah because a drunk white person in central Tokyo is really noteworthy.

lol

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

caberham posted:

I'm a Chinese tourist

Hong Kong is not China

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fix It posted:

Hong Kong is not China

Vancouver is tho

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So I'm a Chinese tourist

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

I'm a Chinese tourist

QED

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

caberham posted:

I'm a Chinese tourist

We knew once you publicly poo poo in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
i'm wearing one of those chinese baby onesies that's just split at the butt so the poop can flow freely