Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I can't loving wait for this era of rap albums being like 30 tracks/an hour and a half long just so they can maximize their number of streaming plays to profit as much as possible to be over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/991885580878393345

:banjo:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’ll give Rae Sremmurd a bit more trust. I hosed w SremmLife 2 and I mean, each section being 9 tracks could mean tight quality control, and a few different listening experiences. It could also be a bunch of similar poo poo w a ton of filler. I choose to remain optimistic.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:thunk:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I will not doubt Rae Sremmurd until they give me a reason not to.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.nme.com/news/music/kanye-west-daz-dillinger-restraining-order-2306746

Somehow this is getting even dumber, Daz Dillinger of all people is now involved and Kanye is getting a restraining order

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
black beatle was an incredible track but i haven't given a single gently caress about anything else i've heard them on. i haven't exactly given them much time but i've never felt compelled to.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I can't loving wait for this era of rap albums being like 30 tracks/an hour and a half long just so they can maximize their number of streaming plays to profit as much as possible to be over

Same. Excited for that Thugger feature/the main album though.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Goddamn pusha signed a star https://soundcloud.com/valee/valee-ft-jeremih-womp-womp

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Vargatron posted:

#TeamBhadBhabie

I think its kinda cute how rap as a genre is being turbofucked out of existence by these kids :P

Sixnine is cool tho, at least better than the other facetat kids

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

Marching Powder posted:

black beatle was an incredible track but i haven't given a single gently caress about anything else i've heard them on. i haven't exactly given them much time but i've never felt compelled to.

i recommend u get a car with a good stereo and put their records on in there because thats what they are for

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

in kanyes tirade confusing 'free thought' with 'thoughtless speech' ive been really inspired lately to listen to really deliberate rappers (wu, ka, doom, etc). lots of wu-tang forever/liquid swords/cuban linx, honor killed the samurai, born like this. anyone have another favorite to add to the list?

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

also this song is hot af holy poo poo

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

btw going back and listening to a bunch of ka again just have to say that

as a kid observed on curbs where they twist the herb
was wrapping the present years before the gift was heard
my quarters wasn't in calm waters the ships perturbed

might be my favorite bar of all time

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Mr. Pickles posted:

I think its kinda cute how rap as a genre is being turbofucked out of existence by these kids :P

Wait so you hate the kids and u like the pedophile guy? A lot going on here

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mr. Pickles posted:

:chloe:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
NPR Tiny Desk concert: GZA performs three tracks from Liquid Swords backed by The Soul Rebels, an eight-piece New Orleans brass ensemble.

https://www.npr.org/event/music/607358481/gza-the-soul-rebels-tiny-desk-concert

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

40 lbs to freedom posted:

in kanyes tirade confusing 'free thought' with 'thoughtless speech' ive been really inspired lately to listen to really deliberate rappers (wu, ka, doom, etc). lots of wu-tang forever/liquid swords/cuban linx, honor killed the samurai, born like this. anyone have another favorite to add to the list?

Underachievers the dualist

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 3, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

My favorite Doom album is probably Mm..Food. It’s just loaded with creative bars and excellent beats. If you want something that is on the darker side like Born Like This, id check out Vaudeville Villain.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
that royce/em song leaked and...i kinda like it?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

You may wanna check out some of the Atoms Family dudes (specifically Can Ox's first album, and Cryptic One). Lupe obviously. Open Mike Eagle for a dude making more recent music. Mos Def would fit. Some of Homeboy Sandman's stuff you'd also probably dig, but he can be really hit or miss I've found. If you want a bit more "positive" feel with jazzier backing Insight's always good. One Be Lo and Sage Francis as well. All of those I think I would consider "deliberate" without resorting to a bunch of lyrical-miracle gymnastics (although obviously Lupe can veer in that territory but still, dude's great).

That's a few I could recommend.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MrSargent posted:

My favorite Doom album is probably Mm..Food. It’s just loaded with creative bars and excellent beats. If you want something that is on the darker side like Born Like This, id check out Vaudeville Villain.

Ehh, Vaudeville Villain isn't anything I'd consider dark at all. It's dang near a comic book. If you want a dark album like Born Like This that Doom worked on it would be Black Bastards by KMD or MF Grimm's Downfall of Iblyiss (or even Operation Doomsday). Also as an aside, hearing Mr. Hood and then Black Bastards is like night and day. Also as an aside I recently picked up the Black Bastards popup book cd/7" combo to add to my collection of goofy Doom stuff.

And as another aside, glad to hear people appreciating Born Like This. I remember when it came out it was kinda dismissed. Tbh it kinda has a mixtape feel for Doom fans because most of the beats were so old (the stuff from Donuts or still using Special Herbs beats) but I'd say his writing is arguably at it's peak there. Thinking on it Born Like This compares to Op Doomsday the same way Tetsuo & Youth compares to Food and Liquor-both of the albums you can hear a lot more age and some of the youthful energy is gone, but there's a crispness that's there the earlier albums may lack.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 3, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SR3MM leaked.

Also so did Desiigner's album that nobody knew was coming because he can't get any marketing.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

alansmithee posted:

Ehh, Vaudeville Villain isn't anything I'd consider dark at all. It's dang near a comic book. If you want a dark album like Born Like This that Doom worked on it would be Black Bastards by KMD or MF Grimm's Downfall of Iblyiss (or even Operation Doomsday). Also as an aside, hearing Mr. Hood and then Black Bastards is like night and day. Also as an aside I recently picked up the Black Bastards popup book cd/7" combo to add to my collection of goofy Doom stuff.

And as another aside, glad to hear people appreciating Born Like This. I remember when it came out it was kinda dismissed. Tbh it kinda has a mixtape feel for Doom fans because most of the beats were so old (the stuff from Donuts or still using Special Herbs beats) but I'd say his writing is arguably at it's peak there. Thinking on it Born Like This compares to Op Doomsday the same way Tetsuo & Youth compares to Food and Liquor-both of the albums you can hear a lot more age and some of the youthful energy is gone, but there's a crispness that's there the earlier albums may lack.

Hmm, maybe I need to go back and listen to VV, but I remember thinking that aesthetically it felt closer to Born Like This than the other solo projects of his that I have checked out. I felt like the production on Operation Doomsday is a little more upbeat (tracks like Doomsday, Rhymes Like Dimes, Red and Gold), where VV seemed a bit darker. I'm sure I haven't listened to the albums as much as you, but I saw more similarities between Op. Doomsday and Mm...Food and then between VaudeVillain and Born Like This. Now I want to go back and listen to all of them and see if my initial feelings were way off.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Billy Woods

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
born like this is okay if you haven't listened to Doom in a while.
but at the time, going from mmm food to born like this was a disappointment. which is funny because mmm food was a drop off compared to madvillainy

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

temple posted:

born like this is okay if you haven't listened to Doom in a while.
but at the time, going from mmm food to born like this was a disappointment. which is funny because mmm food was a drop off compared to madvillainy

I try not to compare Madvillainy to Doom's solo projects for this very reason. It's hard to make a fair comparison when one has Madlib and the other doesn't.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/thisisinsider/status/992052439015723008?s=19

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

After the Kendrick Perkins poo poo and now this. Can't wait to see Drake's face at the Raptors game tonight.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thug on this Swae Lee song :negative:

🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐🐐

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

alansmithee posted:

You may wanna check out some of the Atoms Family dudes (specifically Can Ox's first album, and Cryptic One). Lupe obviously. Open Mike Eagle for a dude making more recent music. Mos Def would fit. Some of Homeboy Sandman's stuff you'd also probably dig, but he can be really hit or miss I've found. If you want a bit more "positive" feel with jazzier backing Insight's always good. One Be Lo and Sage Francis as well. All of those I think I would consider "deliberate" without resorting to a bunch of lyrical-miracle gymnastics (although obviously Lupe can veer in that territory but still, dude's great).

That's a few I could recommend.

Kenshin posted:

Billy Woods

thanks gang.

also re: born like this it also took me a long time to go back to it and appreciate it. i remember being really underwhelmed when it first came out but recently ive been really into it

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Gonna second the Billy Woods, he's good

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

do we know where drake was when that guy drove that car into people in Toronto?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.bdf2a134a072

Lol Jay-Z is trying to avoid a subpoena from the SEC.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Did yall scroll past this? It's nuuuuts, sounds like if Father remixed Teach Me How to Dougie. Beat is fuckin filthy.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I don’t like Christina at all and think she mostly sucks on this track but I love the beat and Ty’s vocals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSRSgMp5X1w

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
lol goddammit Crank Lucas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w_5GSvCrYY

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no3puNSK6BY

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIPRXhLF858

ITS DOLPH

ps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk0rJV3P7C0

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Skyzoo and Masta Ace are 2 emcees not mentioned that fit this request. MA DOOM by Ace is an album dedicated to his mom all over DOOM beats.